Start by marking “The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World” as Want to Read:
The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World

The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World

A manual for understanding the anatomical and emotional components of posture in order to heal chronic pain

• Contains self-help exercises and ergonomics information to help correct unhealthy movement patterns

• Teaches how to adopt suitable posture in the modern sedentary world

Many people cause their own back and body pain through their everyday bad postural and movement
Published November 29th 2006 by Healing Arts Press

To ask other readers questions about The New Rules of Posture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Rules of Posture

Start your review of The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World
7jane
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
(3.5 star read for me)
Just the existence of this book made me think how little chance I have of seeing some tv health document on posture - mostly it's about what you eat, or exercise, or something like that. But this is a good, thorough book on posture: it's not just how right you hold your back - good posture involved also your hands, shoulders, head, neck, eyes, feet... pretty much your whole body. This book is about making bad posture habits into good ones that save one from pains and
Bernie Gourley
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness, yoga
This book’s author, Mary Bond, was a UCLA-trained dancer who became an Ida Rolf-trained Rolfer. If that sentence makes no sense, you’re probably unaware Dr. Ida Rolf and her self-named system. Rolfing was popular decades ago, but fell out of favor—possibly owing to its reputation for being agonizing. (However, I did recently read an article suggesting renewed interest in this practice.) Rolf’s system is generically called Structural Integration, and it’s intended to better align the body with re ...more
Sonja Reid
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
While the author uses vignettes to illustrate issues (it becomes like a soap opera with the different people meeting...weird), she methodically goes through the different parts of the body and how they relate to your posture, with exercises for you to do to illustrate what she is talking about. Most of the sensations are pretty subtle, but you start to realize how small modifications of you posture, due to social constraints or your emotional state, can ultimately cause you pain in the long run. ...more
Noelle
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see a physical therapist for my repetitive motion tendonitis, and he recommended that I read this book. I would recommend that anyone with any sort of physical pain read this immediately. I am sure I will be referring back to it regularly for years to come. Wish I had found it sooner.
Lundy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Superb writing. A borrowed book that leads me to find a copy for my own collection. The Stabilization work in chapter 5, Core Connections gives comprehensive road map to the elusive pelvic floor and the inner and outer corsets of the core musculature.

As a practitioner of physical medicines, I found this text to be essential reading to understand the impact of alignment. I loved her breathing chapter as well...
Quote: You must fall in love with our own breath. Then you can begin
yamiyoghurt
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body, yoga
This book has depth.
Omkar Inamdar
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book to know about how our body posture habits affect us and how creating awareness about our body can heal it. Mary bond has articulated about practices and exploration about our inner body parts which help us move along in the world. Author has explained that our body is designed for the movement and how current sedentary urban life is not helping us to alleviate the pain caused due to poor posture habits. With the examples of characters which familiarise us with daily complains of b ...more
Paige
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was life-changing. Mary does a remarkable job of using words to guide the reader through movements and actions, and feel very small and nuanced changes in the body. The exercises have helped me notice how my posture habits are impacting me on a larger level, and how to change these habits. It's been a perfect companion to read while going through a Rolfing 10-series.
Jess
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone with a body should read this book.
Scott Schirmer
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A new way of looking at posture and movement. Highly recommended
Geert
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
great advice.

I just didn't find it a fluid read.
Bren
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is, as far as I can tell, an excellent book on improving one's posture as a dynamic activity. The basic premise is that because posture is a process driven largely by subconscious habits, one can reprogram oneself to have better posture by learning to notice & interpret sensations differently, and practicing small chunks of more desirable patterns.

It has some background information on relevant anatomy, a coherent structure (although poorly chosen titles in the table of conte
Marsha Thompson
Feb 26, 2008 marked it as to-read
I'm not trying the follow the exercises in this book. I'm working through it slowly to apply the exercises as I learn them. At first you go through some exploratory exercises to feel how your body works. I'm doing those now.

Original review.....
Ok....I like an enjoyable easy book to read and this wasn't but.....I liked this book's approach. It gave you the physicalogical reason to support what it was telling you. I plan to start doing the exploration activities and the exe
Michelle
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. She explains posture as a result of movement, not statically sitting and standing, and she gives simple exercises that address your connective and supportive tissues from your feet all the way up to your head. Problems I've had for years are melting away as I follow her suggestions!
Cindy
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Out of all my resources for recovering from lower back pain and surgery, this is one of my favorites. The author articulates concepts about breathing, stretches, posture more clearly and more comprehensively than any other author, doctor or physical therapist I've met or read.
Melanie
Apr 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
It doesn't sound easy, but it does sound like a reasonable way to manage pain.

A very useful book for anyone who experiences pain in their body. Easy to follow, though the exercises are tough and take time.
Karen
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource. One is taken through steps with clear illustrations and understandable language.
Lois
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent explanations and simple exercises that change your posture.
Cassie
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, read-and-owned
Fantastic book, especially for someone like me who predates Title 9 and hasn't had much coaching--a klutz in other words--and needs to counteract the effects of age on body mechanics.
Charles Kingsley
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book that I feel everyone should read and could greatly benefit from. It changed my perspective.
Justin
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: posture_body
Not enough pictures to be useful
Noelle
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Handed down from a Physician here on Saipan. Very good so far. It's all about proper breathing, much like yoga.
Andrew
Jan 05, 2016
Eric Xu
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Guide to Better Movement: The Science and Practice of Moving with More Skill and Less Pain
  • Awareness Through Movement: Easy-to-Do Health Exercises to Improve Your Posture, Vision, Imagination, and Personal Awareness
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • Alignment Matters: The First Five Years of Katy Says
  • The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!
  • The Body Has a Mind of Its Own: How Body Maps in Your Brain Help You Do (Almost) Everything Better
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Emotional Anatomy
  • Psoas Book
  • The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
  • Struck by Lightning: The Curious World of Probabilities
  • Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New NEAT Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter
  • 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development
  • The Quotable Book Lover
  • How to Be Happy, Dammit: A Cynic's Guide to Spiritual Happiness
  • The Burnout Cure: An Emotional Survival Guide for Overwhelmed Women
  • The Art of Shen Ku
  • Dance Anatomy
I’ve been a student of the human body since I donned my first dancing shoes at age six. After receiving an MA degree in Dance from UCLA, I was privileged to study with Ida Rolf, originator of a type of body therapy known as Structural Integration. I’m proud to have been certified as a Structural Integration practitioner by Dr. Rolf herself. Rolf taught that gravity organizes human structures and t ...more