Start by marking “Love Potions and Other Calamities” as Want to Read:
Love Potions and Other Calamities

Love Potions and Other Calamities

Love Potions and Other Calamities is a comic tale of love and unintended consequences. Rosie McLeod, pub proprietor and a gifted herbalist of local renown, is thirty-nine and holding, but only just. The talons of her fortieth birthday are in her back and her bloody, bloody husband hasn’t laid a lustful hand on her for months.

Rosie sets out to discover if her husband is
Paperback, Kindle, 368 pages
Published November 7th 2019 by Headline Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Love Potions and Other Calamities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Potions and Other Calamities

Start your review of Love Potions and Other Calamities
Dash fan
4 A Witty, Fun, Magical, Humorous Read

Love Potions and Other Calamities is a Witty, Fun, Magical, Humorous Read with some great historical aspects.

When I first started reading this book, I have to say it wasn't anything like I was used to reading and I felt a little out of my depth.
But I was so intrigued by the blurb I just had to keep reading. I'm so glad I did as once I got used to Laidlaw's writing style I soon found myself laughing out loud and enjoying all the mishaps and mayhem!

Rosie
Cathy Ryan
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Readers can always expect something out of the ordinary with Charlie Laidlaw’s books. Love Potions and Other Calamities is no exception. Each chapter begins with a snippet from The Book of Secrets by Albertus Magnus, 13th century scientist, theologian and philosopher, which relates to the story.

Set in a small rural village in Scotland, Holy Cross is known to be a place of myth and legend. The trouble began with the Reverend Lionel Kennedy during a thunderstorm. A sudden, nightmarish experience
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Love Potions And Other Calamities is the second of the witchcraft-themed novels I've reviewed this week (L C Tyler's The Bleak Midwinter being the first). This humorous and frequently irreverent mystery is set in rural East Lothian where the landlady of the village pub puts her herbalist training to good (or bad, depending on your point of view) use in her attempts to stave off the psychological damage wrought by her impending fortieth
Stefanie Rls
– ‘The Magic Of Wor(l)ds’ blog (https://themagicofworlds.wordpress.com/) is a hobby, reviews and other bookish stuff on this site are done for free.
I’m grateful of receiving a free copy from the publisher/author in exchange for an honest review of this book. –

‘Love Potions and Other Calamities’ by Charlie Laidlaw is a quirky read to say the least.
It’s a story about a little village in Scotland with some very interesting characters and one big, mysterious black cat!
Speaking of them, I’m not sure
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received a copy of Love Potions and Other Calamities in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Love Potions and Other Calamities is the latest novel to come from the mind of Charlie Laidlaw, and it is as marvelous as it is hilarious. It’s a love story gone wrong, thanks to all of the unintended consequences of one woman – Rosie McLeod.
Rosie McLeod is a brilliant herbalist, but that description doesn’t explain what she can manage when she puts her mind to it. Back in the day, she might even
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
This is the third book I’ve had the pleasure of reading by Charlie Laidlaw, The Things We Learn When We’re Dead and The Space Between Time being the first two which I absolutely adored, I knew I was in for a real treat with this one and I wasn’t wrong.

I’m not sure how but Charlie Laidlaw has a way of writing that I’ve never experienced before, I don’t even think I can explain it properly to be honest, he has a way of drawing the reader in from page one, making the characters so real you almost
Shanannigans
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, comedy
Love Potions and Other Calamities is quite the departure from the author’s last two books. His distinct style remains the same, and the story has a touch of whimsy like his other books, but Love Potions is a very different kind of tale, one that will have you laughing out loud, and at time, shaking your head.

One of my favourite things about this story, apart from the situations the characters find themselves in, is the vast amount of history and legend that sets the tone for the story. It is
Karen Cole
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Having thoroughly enjoyed The Things We Learn When We're Dead and The Space Between Time, I knew to expect something completely different when I read Love Potions and Other Calamities; Charlie Laidlaw could never be accused of writing to a formula! This is perhaps a more lighthearted book but is still as perceptive and absorbing as I've come to expect from an author who has become a must-read for me.
From the start, it's obvious that this is a novel which takes a ribald look at life as Rosie and
loopyloulaura
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in Scotland, Love Potions and Other Calamities is a warm and rich farcical tale of herbal ‘witch’ Rosie. She is struggling to cope with the idea of turning 40 and feels decidedly unattractive. She hopes to uses her plant power to entice her husband’s lust but the plan goes awry, kicking off a string of amusing consequences.
I admit to struggling to get into the book as the tone is quite literary and I felt that it jumped between the characters a little too much. However, around a quarter of
Alexis Lantgen
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was excited to get an ARC of Charlie Laidlaw’s Love Potions and Other Calamities from Accent Press. It has a lovely cover and an intriguing premise, so I wanted to read it. I’m happy to say that while it may have a few flaws, it definitely delivered a charming array of characters and some very funny moments, as well as an intriguing mystery.

In particular, I enjoyed that characters of the book. I found the main characters—Rosie, Mara, Richie, and Jack—charming, interesting, and generally fun to
Jessica Bronder
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the little village of Holy Cross in Scotland, Rosie McLeod is the owner of a local pub. She is about to turn forty and not very happy about it. So she decides to use her herbalism to help her out. But when Reverend Lionel Kennedy sees a large black cat Rosie finds this more interesting than her age. Something is happening and it’s going to be up to Rosie to solve the mystery along with dealing with her birthday.

Poor Rosie is just having a hard time dealing with turning forty. Her husband hasn
Noelle Kelly
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As with all of Charlie’s books, I was immediately intrigued by the idea of Love Potions and Other Calamities. A jealous wife, a mysterious giant, black feline and a town with a history of witch persecutions, what’s not to like?

The story opens with publican Rosie who is nearing forty. She fears her husband no longer finds her attractive and unknowingly kicks off a series of unfortunate events in Holy Cross. But something unholy seems to be happening and the residents don’t know what has hit them.
BookDragons
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rosie is a soon to be 40 year old woman who is known as the medicine woman of Holy Cross village since she makes and hands out herb and plant concoctions that help multiple illnesses. Rosie and her husband Jack also own the local public pub called the Fox and the Duck. Their lives as well as the other people living in the village quickly changes when they're supposed signs of a Wiccan cult resurfacing. However Rosie quickly learns that is not the case.
Annarella
I fell in love with the cover and then I fell in love with the story.
It's witty, well written, engrossing and entertaining. It made me laugh and I read it quite fast because I wanted to know more.
I loved the quirky and well thought cast of characters, the well crafted plot and the lovely setting.
I appreciated how well research the part about herbalism is, it's something I'm interested in and I loved the descriptions of the herbs and their usage.
It's the first book I read by this author and won't
Rekha
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The writing and storytelling are marvellous. I will not talk much about the story and make this review a spoiler. But let me tell you this - there's dark humour, romance, the sexual tension between the characters, and a large black cat lurking around. Mara and the reverend become unintended victims of Rosie's remedies. The eccentric characters and equally weirder stories of theirs make you giggle.

Rosie creates quite a fuss about her turning forty. Uff! She's being a pain-in-the-backside - Jack,
Kim Lo
Anna
Jan 20, 2020

• Hope
  • Left-Handed Death
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • Murder in Montague Falls: Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton & Patrick Thomas
  • Death on the Danube: A New Year’s Murder in Budapest (Travel Can Be Murder Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Proximity: If the police always know where I am...how do I kill you? (iMe Series Book 1)
  • Death in Room Five (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #24)
  • You Beneath Your Skin
  • Snowfall at Moonglow (Moonglow Christmas Book 5)
  • Her Missing Child
  • Christmas at Wynter House (Wyntersleap series Book 1)
  • Violet
  • Serf and Turf (Silicon Valley Mystery #3)
  • After Whorl: Bran Reborn (# 2, Celtic Fervour Series)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • No Time to Say Goodbye
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Good Little Liars
I was born in Paisley, central Scotland, which wasn’t my fault. That week, Eddie Calvert with Norrie Paramor and his Orchestra were Top of the Pops, with Oh, Mein Papa, as sung by a young German woman remembering her once-famous clown father. That gives a clue to my age, not my musical taste.

I was brought up in the west of Scotland (quite near Paisley, but thankfully not too close) and graduated