Start by marking “In the Heart of Windy Pines” as Want to Read:
In the Heart of Windy Pines

In the Heart of Windy Pines

(Windy Pines #3)

From the author of Kindle Unlimited All-Star winner Sweet Hollow Women comes a new novella featuring characters from Murder at Mistletoe Manor, Carnage at the Christmas Party, and The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club!

Klarinda Snow is the innkeeper of Mistletoe Manor in beautiful, remote, Windy Pines, Idaho, where she brings her unique brand of hospitality to the tiny mount
Published November 24th 2019

To ask other readers questions about In the Heart of Windy Pines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Heart of Windy Pines

Start your review of In the Heart of Windy Pines
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Stop. Stop with the dad jokes, he silently begged himself as he trudged up the stairs. Like his heartburn and tension headaches, they’d become another constantly recurring infliction he couldn’t shake.

She’d been blonde and plump, only five feet tall, button-nosed and red-cheeked. The poster child for being underestimated.

She had that comfortably, happily hungover feeling that comes with spending time with someone special. When their presence still seems to be a part of you, even
Noriko
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As cozy and pleasant a read as the previous book, "Murder at Mistletoe Manor."
Likewise the previous book, this is not a kind of book that keeps you on pins and needles the entire time, but there's more meat and substance in this installment which was an added bonus for me.

The characters are as quirky and vivid, I am glad to get reunited with the team of Mistletoe Manor - Klarinda, Myrtle, and Pierre... a close-knit operating team that runs the inn.
There was not as much fun banter going among t
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This novella is actually 2.5 in the Windy Pines Mystery Series, and I wish I had read the previous tow books. I think I might have enjoyed this story a bit more. The story is set at Mistletoe Manor during a blizzard featuring a female amateur sleuth, Klarinda Snow. Klarinda owns and operates the inn, located in the small, out of the way town, Windy Pines, Idaho. She has a close knit staff and they add a bit of humour and quirkiness to the story. AS there is a blizzard moving in, the inn is full ...more
K.S. Marsden
A winter blizzard brings an assortment of guests to Mistletoe Manor, but ends with murder.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
This isn't the first book set in Windy Pines. It sort of works as a stand-alone, but I wish I'd read the other books to understand the cast of characters.

This follows Klarinda, as her inn becomes unexpectedly full, and the scene of a murder.
Neil is trying to run away from his past, and blindly find his path again, when he ends up stranded at a small-to
Elaine
This is a mystery set in a remote inn, Mistletoe Manor. It has three gentlemen staying there, all have their own unique story and reason for being there as well as a mysterious connection. There are also the people who work with Klarinda Snow, the innkeeper, to help run the Inn. These are the main characters in this murder mystery which also has a potential romance, a possible scam and blizzards to keep you guessing.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this story to keep you guessing. It is a
Susan (The Book Bag)
I have fallen in love with this Windy Pines series and with Holly's stories in general. In the past few days, I have read all of the books connected with this series. I love the fun, somewhat quirky characters and can't wait to see what they are up to next.

Klarinda just wants to run her inn and enjoy a nice quiet life, but that's kind of hard to do when dead bodies always seem to turn up. Sound like a hoot? It definitely is!

Holly is a fairly new-to-me author but I have discovered that I really
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and Holly Tierney-Bedord for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I personally love reading mystery novellas because sometimes I just don’t want to go through too many pages of the same mystery. Why? That could just be me wanting to resolve the ending quicker than us
Jules
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
There is no need to have read Holly Tierney-Bedord’s prior books in the Windy Pines series in order to appreciate In the Heart of Windy Pines. This latest installation can easily be read as a standalone cozy mystery. Klarinda Snow and her quirky staff are back, and a heavy winter storm has many travelers seeking shelter at Mistletoe Manor.

Ms. Tierney-Bedord’s characters are each interesting in their own way. I loved the staff at the inn. The visitors are unique; each guest seems to be dealing wi
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holly`s writing gets better and better with each book I read. While you can read and enjoy this book all on it`s cozy own, the author does admit up front that this book has characters you will recognize from Holly’s other books: Murder at Mistletoe Manor, The Port Elspeth Jewelry Making Club, and Carnage at the Christmas Party.
She has a way of making you feel welcomed at the same time as you worry about not surviving the night. The atmosphere is set deliciously dark and warm, even with a blizzar
Tasha Mahoney
Rating: 3.5 stars
Firstly, let me say that this is the first book that I have read by Ms Tierney-Bedord. In this case reading the previous books that have links to this one would have been advantageous but I still enjoyed this cosy mystery.

Klarinda Snow, (isn’t that just a wonderful character name? ) is the innkeeper of Mistletoe Manor which is in the glorious, yet isolated, setting of Windy Pines, Idaho. When her inn is booked up and snowed in our super sleuth Klarinda is transported back to a s
Cath
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is set in the tiny and remote mountain town of Windy Pines, but also draws some characters from Port Elspeth, scene of the author’s Jewellery Making Club book. The main character in this book is Klarinda Snow, who is the owner and innkeeper of Mistletoe Manor and is trying to make ends meet or decide if she should just shut up, sell up and move back home. She has had interactions with the local police service in town, from events that happened some time ago, but has left her with quit ...more
Evelyn Grabas
The story could have been better presented without the errors that it contained; i.e. Klarinda looked down the hall at the blue room where Neil was. Neil was not in the blue room, he was in the grey room. It is an easy mistake to make when writing a novel, but one that should never remain long enough to go to publication. It would appear that proofreading is the bane of so many writers, but, one that should never occur if one wants to become a successful writer.
The second, and most annoying prob
Jena Henry
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holly Tierney-Bedord is in my Favorite Authors Hall of Fame. She has written over 20 novels and novellas. An HTB story features quirky characters with heart, whimsy, sometimes a dash of magical realism, and ALWAYS a well-told story.

In the Heart of Windy Pines is a cozy mystery novella, featuring a woman sleuth, Klarinda Snow. Klarinda owns and operates a quaint inn, Mistletoe Manor, in the obscure town of Windy Pines, Idaho. A small coterie of odd characters helps her run the inn. One feature of
Tessa (Talks Books)
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy lovers
Favorite character: Tiffinie, Dave’s fiancé

Tiffinie is a minor character, but she had an incredibly important function within the story, which earned her the spot of my favorite character. On the surface, she appears to be a pushover without anything resembling a backbone, someone that Dave could quickly run right over. But as the story progresses, she shows a much different side to herself – an aspect that I happily applaud.

What I Like:

The Mistletoe Inn is the perfect setting for a story that t
Amanda
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to discover new authors and Holly Tierney-Bedord is definitely a new author for me. I read the synopsis for 'In The Heart Of Windy Pines' and it certainly sounded like a fun read so I grabbed a cup of tea, grabbed the comfy spot on the couch and I began to read. I wasn't wrong, it certainly was a fun read, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading but more about that in a bit.
It took me about a dozen pages before I felt as though I was going to enjoy this book. After that, I just couldn't get en
Jaffareadstoo
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There can be no better named inn at this time of year than that of Mistletoe Manor which is run by the aptly named Klarinda Snow, who together with her trusty band of employees help to keep the whole operation running. When an unexpected snowfall brings more than the usual guests to Mistletoe Manor it soon becomes obvious that some of the guests have more on their minds than at first appears.

With a lightness of touch this delightful inn and its rather unconventional characters come to life, and
Barbara Beggs
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-tours
My Review
Rating – 4 stars
Let me begin by saying that this is the first book I have picked up from this author and from the Windy Pines series. The author does state that although this is good a stand alone it is advantageous to read the rest of the books in the series before reaching for this one. I haven’t read any of the previous books but I honestly still really enjoyed the book anyway.
I managed to read this book in one day – as with most novellas they are short but it had my attention nea
Melanie’s reads
This is a charmingly cozy little novella just in time for Christmas. Filled with warmth, the quaint setting of Mistletoe Inn, a good little mystery and even a spot of romance.

Great characters including a few elder guests suffering from grief, dementia and the loss of working life when retirement comes along. This was all handled with care for such a short book.

The mystery element left a few questions but still an enjoyable read and a nice way to spend a few hours tucked under a blanket with a ni
Lucrecia Tolbert
In The Heart Of Windy Pines was a good read. This is the second book that I have read by Holly Tierney-Bedord and I was very pleased. The characters from Windy Pines seemed established with well developed relationships with each other, while the guests seemed to become fast friends. I feel as if this aspect was key to the development of the story. While reading this story, I really felt that I was reading the manuscript for a tv show. This is a good thing in my book. The changing of scenes and l ...more
Dorothy  Scott
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Klarinda has an inn full of guests snowed in, and has found herself drawn to one of them. Neil is at odds with his past and believes Klarinda may be someone he would like to know better. The discovery of a body breaks their initial connection, however, there is something that doesn’t add up. Klarinda must use her wits to figure out the truth, no matter the danger. I enjoyed the journey into the suspects’ backgrounds and recommend in the Heart of Windy Pines.

I received a free copy of this book vi
Molly
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clarinda thinks she may have finally met her match in Neil. So naturally he gets tangled in the latest murder investigation- and is not as divorced as he might have led her to believe

Hearts collide and accidents and deliberately less than nice people pop up too.

An exciting psychological thriller and adventure

Kristi
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and quirky characters keep you entertained in this cozy murder mystery. Plenty of twists and turns keep you turning the pages, suspense and mystery add to the enjoyment of reading this novella. A fairly new author to me but her writing in the stories I've read so far is smooth and flowing. This one can be read as a stand alone book but some of the characters are from previous stories in the series.

Pat Eroh
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book that is excellently-written and a very compelling read. The characters, Klarinda, Myrtle, Pierre, and Josephineare bought to life wonderfully and realistically. The story is action-packed and contains twists that keep you guessing until the end. I am disappointed that there were spoilers but that was warned.

Tiziana Langone
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drama + Mystery + Love + Christmas = The Perfect Novella

Being an innkeeper can always be tricky… doesn’t Klarinda Snow know everything about it! When in November she finds her Mistletoe Manor fully booked, she tries to please everyone. But not all clients are being friendly or social.
And when a mystery takes place, suspicions are quickly made and Klarinda and her team are doing whatever they can to solve it as soon as possible.

Honest fact: initially I wasn’t enjoying the story a lot. Was it bec
Jeanne Richardson
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book I've read written by Holly Tierney-Bedford; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

Heather Bane
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this mystery book. The story and characters are very well written and enjoyable. The storyline grabs you interest and keeps it throughout. Looking forward to reading more from this author. I recommend reading.

Caroline Venables
This is a lovely Christmas read. Set in a inn just before Christmas,the snow is falling, what could possibly go wrong?

I haven’t read any of the others in the series but this didn’t detract from the book at all. It is the perfect book to read at this time of year,curled up on the settee with a hot chocolate while you try to solve the mystery along with Kalrinda Snow (brilliant name).
Rhonda
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love a good mystery. Fun and entertaining whodunit. There are great characters. Always fun to follow a story and try to figure out the ending. This is part of a series so be sure to read the whole thing. Would recommend!

Jodi Sweet
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful, quick little cozy! I loved how things took a twist from the opening of the story. I’ve not read the other books, but I want to now, for sure! This is a standalone, so no problem if you’re like me and haven’t read the others.

Jacqueline
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, quick read with Charming Characters

Reading this is like taking a little vacation. The characters are delightful and fun. Some are fun to love and some are fun to hate, but none are boring. Fast moving story. I have my bags packed for a trip to Windy Pines!

• An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • To Dance with Kings
  • The Career Killer (DCI Mabey Book 1)
  • Strawberries & Crème Murder (A Donut Hole Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Trouble In Willow Falls (Willow Falls Series Book 2)
  • The Orphan Thief
  • The Kill Club
  • A Prayer for Orion: A Son's Addiction and a Mother's Love
  • Guilt
  • Mummified Meringues (Lexy Baker #10)
  • The Silent Surrogate
  • Tattoos and Clues (Mitzy Moon #2)
  • Christmas at the Chateau (A French Escape #2)
  • Shelving Doubts: The Sixth Novel in the Rosemont Series
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • Beside Herself
  • Twisted Fate
  • Baby, It's Dead Outside (Josie Tucker Mysteries #5)

www.hollytierneybedord.com

Holly Tierney-Bedord is the author of over a dozen novels and novellas, including Sweet Hollow Women, Surviving Valencia, Right Under Your Nose, Bellamy's Redemption, and Murder at Mistletoe Manor. She is also the creator of mid-century dollhouse flipping blog www.flipthisminihouse.com and the author of several dollhouse and miniature how-to

Windy Pines (3 books)
  • Murder at Mistletoe Manor
  • Carnage at the Christmas Party (A Windy Pines Mystery #2)

News & Interviews