Start by marking “Second Wind (Cypress Coast, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Wind (Cypress Coast, #1)

Second Wind (Cypress Coast, #1)

Desperate to escape her abusive fiancé, kinetic sculptor Laurel McDowell pawns her engagement ring, loads everything she owns into her VW Beetle, and heads for the sanctuary of her family home in Big Sur. She lands a job in an art gallery in picturesque Carmel-by-the-Sea and begins a new life.

After her ex’s body washes up on the beach, Laurel finds herself dragged into a
Published November 2019

To ask other readers questions about Second Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Wind

Start your review of Second Wind (Cypress Coast, #1)
Sharon Buchbinder
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Laurel McDowell escapes her abusive fiance and runs home to her loving family in Big Sur. Little does she know that not only was he an abusive SOB, he was also a money launderer. When his body washes up, Laurel hopes it's the end of an era in her life. Unfortunately, it's the beginning of a nightmare where mobsters are trying to find something the fiance left with her, something she cannot find.

Jake Carlson, a shorts-wearing, easy going FBI forensic accountant and friend to her family, shows up
Claire Fullerton
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved every page of this exceptional book. It is action-packed, wonderfully paced, and full of gripping suspense. The story opens with 32-year-old Laurel on the run from her abusive fiance. In a definitive move, she packs her cat in her car and hits the road from Seattle to the sanctuary of Big Sur, California, where her mother owns and operates a cliffside, vegetarian restaurant, and her two sisters live close by. But home is not an immediate sanctuary, for the truth of her fiance's hidden ...more
S.Q. Orpin
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing mystery woven into a tight knit story

I was on vacation in Carmel when I began reading this book which was amazing since the descriptions were so vivid. The storyline was thrilling and fast paced, with great writing and wonderful characters. A definite read if you love mystery and want to escape to a beautiful setting, even just through this book.
Katie Chapman
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful!

Alison Henderson books are always a delight, with engaging and compelling characters, interesting plot and locations. She is a hoot to follow on Facebook with hilarious posts as well as beautiful photos she takes. I'm definitely a fan.
Phyllis Entis
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romance, suspense and a whole lot more!

Laurel McDowell thought she was heading for a place of safety when she fled her abusive fiance and returned home to Big Sur on California’s Cypress Coast. Little did she know that trouble would find her almost before she could catch her breath.

Carmel-by-the Sea is a quaint, peaceful village, known for its quirky residents and its plethora of art galleries. Laurel quickly lands a job in a prestigious gallery in the heart of the commercial district, only to
Rolynn Anderson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If only it were easy to make life changes, but the past dogs Laurel, bringing complication, even danger to her life. Laurel has the help of family and a handsome Fed agent, but the villains have their own nasty agenda. I love suspense/makeover plots, so Second Wind by Alison Henderson was perfect for me. Reno #1: Laurel has left a rotten relationship and returned to her California coast home, drawing strength from her family to re-examine her goals. Reno #2: A job at an art studio helps her ...more
Jannine Gallant
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Authentic, gorgeous setting! The author paints a beautiful word picture of the Big Sur/Carmel area. Add relatable characters and an interesting, original suspense story, and you have a very engaging read. Oh, I can't forget the giant cat that creates a lot of humorous moments! Readers won't be disappointed with the first book in this new series.
Sherri Moorer
Jan 01, 2020
Bonnie Veach
Dec 30, 2019
Ellen
rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2020
P.A.
Dec 23, 2019
Tricia Schneider
Dec 27, 2019

• Lethal Memory (Counterstrike, #2)
  • Stephanie's Challenge (Imperial, #4)
  • Shadows in Deep Blue (Colours of the Earth Series Book 2)
  • Dragons Need Love, Too (I Like Big Dragons, #2)
  • The Devil Drinks Coffee (A Kate Saxee Mystery, #1)
  • Flight Risk (Dangerous Eight, #1)
  • The Devil Wears Tank Tops (A Kate Saxee Mystery, #2)
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Devilishly Short #1 (A Kate Saxee Mystery Novelette)
  • A Berry Deadly Welcome (Kylie Berry #1)
  • Eternal Starling (Emblem of Eternity, #1)
  • The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death (The Hollows #0)
  • One Woman's Junk (Psychic Consignment Mystery Book 1)
  • The Forever Team: A detective and her K9 (Detective Laci Jolett Book 1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Hitwoman Goes to Prison (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #21)
  • Echo of Fear (The Chris Echo Files Book 1)
  • The Right Spot (Grayslake: More Than Mated Kindle World)
I grew up in Kansas City on the edge of the prairie. Like any good pioneer, I’ve always been intrigued by new places and experiences. I went off to New York to study art history at Vassar College, and by the time I was twenty-one I had traveled the world from Japan to Tunisia. Little did I know I was collecting material for future stories!

Unlike many writers, I didn’t grow up knowing I wanted to