Start by marking “Unexpected” as Want to Read:

Unexpected

Saidah's Christmas memories have been warped by personal tragedy. A chance encounter brings herunexpected love and a new outlook on life.

Here's to finding love where you least expect it!
Kindle Edition
Published November 2019

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected

Start your review of Unexpected
Frida
Dec 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't mind fluff - especially in a holiday romance novella ffs - I am here for it. But this was just so absolutely not my cup of tea (or should I say my choice of sugary christmas latte)... There was just such a focus on the beautiful house, the fancy designer stuff etc etc. I just couldn't connect to the characters. At all.
Dee Cherry
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read by this author. The title definitely fit the storyline & content. Nicely written holiday short
Candy
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Short Story

I really enjoyed Saidah's story. I'm glad she found love with Will because she deserved some happiness after everything that she had been through. I'm usually not a fan of short stories, but this was a good one.
India
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Unexpected Love has me all in the FEELS

This short was the happy ever after I needed just as the holidays roll around. Jay was an asshole, after he embarrassed Saidah at Christmas, I thought she was going to kill him lol! But the twist at the end was exactly what he deserved! Excellent read!
Carolyn
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected Love

Saidiah had the perfect name for this story. The meaning of her name was just as appealing. The premise for the story was like. Hot dang!!!Old flame who started dating an unexpected guy.! huum. The Christmas party from hell, would be the best way to describe their reunion. Jay was the old flame who'd turned into a jackass... Will was the half brother, who turned out to be the best present a girl could ask for.. This was a short lovely story. Unexpectedly delicious!!!!!!
Mrs.  Arvia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brotherly love

A deadly tragedy reminds Saidah of loss and devastation. Saidah normally sit around on Christmas alone and have a spiked hot chocolate and some takeout with a good movie. This year would be much diffrent as her best friend invites her over for dinner. What a difference a year makes
Sharonda Isadora
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book to add to your Holiday collection. Unexpected is full of humor and of course romance. Sneak away during your Holiday break and catch an unexpectedly great read!

Catch my full recap via my podcast which will be published 12/21/18 (Brazen Babe Reviews)
Karen
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story about love. There are times when a person thinks that they lost everything, only to find true love.
Mia Morgan
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet and lovely

I just loved this short story. Of course, I wanted more. I would like to see how miserable Jay turned around to this loving guy who found the right one like his brother. Great short story.
krystal
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas treat!!

This story is so sweet and tender, it's like an urban lifetime Christmas movie!! You know, the ones that make u long for hot chocolate, ornaments....and a man!?!? I love that Saidah let him in the way she did, he turned out to be her perfect healing!!!! This book truly made me smile with my heart.
Eliza
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TFW a story lives up to its title! I’m a fan of the author’s past works but this short story stood out for me. Her ability to deliver a twist early in the story that keeps you turning the pages is remarkable. Please don’t let this be your only DL White read but - if you’re pinched for time - this short will give you superb insight into her captivating writing style!
Tera L. Kirksey
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected

Saidah, a broken woman whose share of misfortune has caused her not to enjoy the holidays, ends up finding UNEXPECTED love and happiness. She took steps towards her healing and let the walls tumble away. She learned through Will that “a new broom sweeps well.”
This was a short but well written story that I truly enjoyed. I do want to know more about Will and Saidah.
Tina Jackson
Alright now

Finding love at an unexpected time with an unexpected love interest. This was my second read from this author and I must say that I do like her writing style. This was also a well written holiday short about finding unexpected love. Well written story. I will be reading more from this author.
Angel Graham
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick, sweet

I'm glad I took a second chance at reading this. It was a fun, enjoyable read. The first time, there was a problem with the kindle file...glad its fixed.

I'll be looking into reading more by this author.
JoAnn Litman
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

This is my first book by this author but it will not be my last. Great story about friendship, love lost, and new beginning. We reminiscent about the love that got away but sometimes it's a hidden blessing.
Lakimbac
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was my first read by D.L. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be reading more of her books. Saidah and Will were a cute couple. I enjoyed the karma that was served to Jay’s rude self.
Shameka Erby
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cute story. I love the writing style. Would recommend this author definitely.
Turtleberry
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awwwwwwwww

I loved this. I thought it was going one way and then... outstanding holiday story. Jay was just... and Will...

I loved it!
Theresa
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

So short and sweet I wanted more... Saidah and Will turned out to be so perfect together I want to know did their love continue to bloom... Definitely a five star great read
Mary
A new author to me. Very short and sweet holiday romance. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Anita
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was so unexpectedly amazing. I didn’t want it to end.
Lynne Spreen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Story Even If It Isn't Christmas

I only recently discovered author DL White, but I do enjoy her writing. Her characters feel like friends. On my way to look for more.
Shannon
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fate that Saidah and Will met. I'm glad he was it for her she deserved to be happy. And I'm glad she had Faith as a best friend.
Shawn Oates-Martin
Entertaining Quick Read

Just what I needed to get in the holiday spirit! I'd love a full length novel on these couples. I'm definitely gonna read more by this author.
RaceTo230
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short novella to start the year. Quick, easy read.
WyldeCherry
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saidah just wanted to be alone on Christmas day then her best friend invited her over for dinner and she hopes othat she can reconnect with a former lover from her college days. When she is rejected and then insulted by the guy, who is sloppy drunk, she decides that she has had enough and leaves. Before she could get to her car his brother comes out to apologize for his brother and tries to keep her from leaving. The brother then convinces her to take him with her. They end up at a restaurant ...more
Malaika
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

This story caught me by surprise because I expected something totally different to happen at that dinner. This was a great story about how even the worst moments can lead to a sequence of great moments. Saidah felt at her lowest during that dinner but was blessed with a year of great moment after great moment. For me, the best part was seeing how miserable Jay and his selfish wife were. LOL He deserved what he got in her and she did, too for being a gold digger. It wasn’t mentioned
Danielle
I really enjoyed this story. I will say from the beginning it turned out a lot different than I expected. I am always amazed at how authors pack so much story in a short book. I really loved Saidah's journey from humbug to a new perspective about Christmas. Definitely recommend reading this one for the holidays.
Deena
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuteness!

My first time reading a book by DL White. It definitely won't be my last! Loved Saidah and Will (and Coco!)! And Faith's little family was the cutest. Saidah really dodged a bullet... lol
Lisa Tetting
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed how this story played out. It was definitely unexpected. Sometimes what you want isn’t what you need. I was happy the main character was open to the possibilities of live where she least expected it. I’m a sucker for a good man and HEAs.
Goodreads Librari...: My book si showing up under the wrong DL White 3 16 Nov 20, 2017 05:54AM

• Jah (Them Boys #2)
  • Equivalent Exchange (Night Shift)
  • Plus One: An Equilibrium Short
  • Set (Them Boys #1)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby
  • New Year, New Boo?: a holiday short
  • A Touch of Sugar (Sweet Heat Book 3)
  • Noelle The First (Holliday Sisters #1)
  • The Thanksgiving Game: A Holiday Short Story
  • Frosted. Whipped. Buttered: An Equilibrium Short
  • Bittersweet (Equilibrium Novella)
  • All I Want: A Christmas Short
  • Love Unsolicited
  • In Pursuit of You (In The Heart of A Valentine Book 6)
  • A Merry Little Filthmas
  • A Game-Changing Christmas (In The Heart Of A Valentine #4)
  • Jinx (Neighbors to Lovers Book 2)
  • The Night Before (A Holiday Novella)
DL White is an Atlanta based author of women's fiction and romance, centering Black men and women. She began seriously pursuing a writing career in 2011.

She has a deep and abiding love for coffee and Sunday Brunch, especially on a patio, but her true obsession is water— lakes, rivers, oceans, waterfalls.

By day she is an Executive Administrative Assistant for a billion dollar beverage brand. By