Start by marking “Son of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Son of Darkness

Son of Darkness

(Dr Power #5)

A Dr Power Murder Mystery. (Illustrated Edition) The farm by the dark lake at Lindow had been thought deserted for years, but after a light aircraft plunges out of the sky into the farmhouse, police make a shocking discovery and decide to call in Professor Power and Detective Lynch as expert consultants.The story of the farm at Lindow is so big that it occupies the nationa ...more
Paperback, Illustrated, 328 pages
Published November 3rd 2019 by Hugh Greene/ Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Son of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of Darkness

Start your review of Son of Darkness
Glen
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firstreads, mystery
I won this novel in a goodreads drawing.

A plane crashes into a farmhouse. When the police come, they find a house full of dead bodies, and body parts. The Foundation is called in and Lynch and Professor Power become consultants. Meanwhile, somebody seems to be stalking the pair, and they are both having problems with their significant others.

Remind me in some ways of Robert E Howard's Worms of the Earth, and maybe a little Lovecraft.
Julie Brown
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and the continuing developments in the main characters’ lives. That said, the book
Is pretty stand alone and concerns the disappearances of dozens of people- some interesting and difficult themes are expertly handled as well as Greene usually does.

There are plenty of twists, a fight with the darkest of villains, and a journey deep into the unconscious of the detective psychiatrist Dr Power and a parallel journey into the reader’s own unconscious too!

I wish someone would bring
Jane Willis
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Greene’s latest book sees Lynch, now retired from the police, working for The Foundation as a Consulting Detective, while Power- now a Professor at the University- and Laura, are trying unsuccessfully for a baby.

The pair are called in to help the police when a light aircraft crashes into an apparently abandoned house, and the recovery effort unearths some chillingly dark secrets about the house and its former residents.

While working on the investigation it also becomes apparent that Cousi
Redfox5
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I jumped in at book 5 and as I suspected, this didn't matter at all! It was a self contained story, however it does mention some other things that happened in other books and there are obviously some issues between Power & Laura but this does not take you away from the story.

I really enjoyed this mystery tale, which ended up have two bad guys in one! I liked the Grisliness of the Heaney house, was really interested in what was going on there. The second bad guy was featured in another book at so
Judith
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The prologue is brilliant, it got me hooked but gave no clues as what lay ahead and I was left curious to know where this would lead and just had to read more.

There is a good sense of place and you can almost imagine yourself at Alderley Edge looking out over the countryside from Stormy Point with the trees around you. I loved the map at the front of the book which was a great help in placing Lindow, Wilmslow and Alderley, and where the pub and street of shops are to Dr Power’s house.

There are
John Naylor
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Hugh Greene is an author that writes psychology in such a way that it transcends horror. He uses basic fears better than most authors use irrational fears. Dr Power has been in situations that are scary on a primeval level. I would say that he needs a holiday from these but he wasn't even safe from them in Spain.

The soundtrack has changed in this adventure. The sounds you hear are no longer classical but in some cases
Lydia Pazienza
Review for book received in giveaway-

The mystery was interesting, although perhaps hyper convoluted. I felt like everything wrapped up too cleanly (despite the twist), and it took me out of the story. Also the illustrations were unnecessary.
Mary
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first book of this series I've read. highly recommend and I will read the series.
Betsy Lindberg

• Harry the Homeless Puppy
  • Il secondo libro di Murphy : nuovi motivi per cui le cose vanno storte
  • First Term at Silver Spires
  • Everdark
  • Beware the Cuckoo: Two women, one man, and a buried secret....
  • The Life Assistance Agency
  • Influence
  • Truckers: The First Book of the Nomes
  • Zombie Blondes
  • Jumblecat
  • No Way Back
  • Blood Hunters
  • A Wayne in a Manger
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • London Rules (Slough House, #5)
  • A Wedding in December
Hugh Greene was born in Chester and is a scientist and author. He has published numerous peer-reviewed books and scientific papers and brought his experience working with the police and victims of crime to bear on the popular Dr Power novels. He lives in Cheshire/Shropshire.

Dr Power (5 books)
  • The Darkening Sky
  • The Fire of Love
  • The Good Shepherd
  • Schrödinger's God (Dr Power Book 4)