Jump to ratings and reviews

Thicker Than Water

Outcast operative in the Supernatural Investigation & Crime Bureau (SICB) Callen Blackheath finds himself doing what he does best: defying orders and giving his boss a headache in the thick of an operation he shouldn’t be in. And there’s no way he’s walking away, not when the investigation has become deadly personal.

Needing to protect the only family member he has left, this wolf shifter will do whatever it takes to stop the blood farms and destroy the dangerous drugs the vampires will kill for. But he doesn’t expect Liam “Thatch” Thatcher, the head of a special task force team, to receive a bite that pulls him into the centre of Callen’s world.

Bonded by memories and blood, together they navigate the operation that has wider reaches than they could ever imagine. And when it comes to matters of the heart, Callen knows in order to win, he needs to risk it all.

Thicker Than Water is a MM urban fantasy romance featuring a smart-mouthed wolf shifter, who kicks arse and forgets to take names—because life’s too short for that admin sh*t!

ebook

First published March 14, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Becca Seymour

21 books457 followers
Becca Seymour is the #1 gay romance best seller of the True-Blue series. Known for "steamy and endearing" and "emotionally profound love stories" (InD'tale Magazine) her books have been nominated for multiple RONE Awards.

Becca lives and breathes all things book related. Usually with at least three books being read and two WiPs being written at the same time, Becca's life is merrily hectic. She tends to do nothing by halves so happily seeks the craziness and busyness life offers.

Living on her small property in Queensland with her human family as well as her animal family of cows, chooks, and dogs, Becca appreciates the beauty of the world around her and is a believer that love truly is love.

TRUE-BLUE
Let Me Show You (Carter & Tanner)
It's Not You (Davis & Scott)
Becoming Us (Davis & Scott)
Thinking It Over (Jasper & Austin)
Always For You (Ted & Jason)
It's Not You (Lawrence & Billy)
Our First And Last (Ian & Frankie)

OUTBACK BOYS

Realigned (perma-free)
Amalgamated
Not Used To Cute
High Alert
No Take Backs (November 2021)

REVIEWS:
"WOW! Simply, Wow! A funny, steamy and endearing story that should be put into your family of books. Something that you can read over and over again when you need a pick me up." The Book Fairy Reviews
"An intense connection that smolders" - JayReads
"This book was a slow burn and I loved it." - Steamy Book Momma
"Characters to pull for, a romance to give you feels, and enough steam to keep you turning pages..." - Romantic Reads and Such
"Emotionally profound love story with many laugh aloud moments." - InD'tale Magazine
"Becca had me cracking up laughing and smiling ear to ear." - HeidiLynns BookReviews

Newsletter: https://landing.mailerlite.com/webfor...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (3%)
1 star
4 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 53 reviews
Profile Image for ~Mindy Lynn~.
1,396 reviews580 followers
March 21, 2020
4 Stars!

This book starts off with action and it never really lets up. It had a really nice pace that kept me in the story till the end. It also helped that the MC was really likeable. I liked his personality and the fact that he brought humor relief to the story. Callen has a pretty laid back way about himself. He tries not to take a lot too seriously unless it's needed. He was quite fierce when he needed to be though. I really liked him and that made the book that much more enjoyable for me.

Callen is a bit of a lone wolf. Literally. He left his pack and his abusive Alpha father behind and joined the Supernatural Investigation & Crime Bureau (SICB). He's a bit of an outcast. His boss highly dislikes him and he really only has one friend, Lucas, who works with him, but more on the tech side of things. Callen can be quite spontaneous and he gets himself into trouble most of the time by putting himself in the middle of cases he's not supposed to be a part of. The one he recently finds himself in becomes not only deadly, but personal.

On this case he saves a man who will soon become more important to him then anyone. Thatcher. He saves the man thinking he is the biggest clue to figuring out what is happening. But when the man wakes up he finds him to be not just a witness to what happened, but the man running the show. It's his case. Liam Thatcher is the head of a special task force team. He brings Callen onto his team considering Callen now has a personal connection with the case and to him in a way I won't reveal. No spoilers here dolls! As the case gets more complicated, Callen and Thatcher get closer.

I really liked how the author brought a new spin to the wolf shifter world. Although there were more than just wolves in this book. We had vampires, panthers, and even lions oh my, lol. I hope there will be more to this story. Maybe about some of the other character that were introduced to us. I would definitely like to see a Lucas and Michael's relationship happen. Just sayin', lol...

The only issues I really had was the lack of background we had for Thatcher. We never got a clear picture of who he is or where he came from and how he got to be who he is. Why is he so well off? Who is his family? Why does he not like talking about them? So in the end I needed more from him.

Happy reading dolls! xx

I received an ARC from Indigo in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for  CCAM&GZM.
309 reviews90 followers
March 14, 2020
Sometimes, choosing a book by its cover works! Let's be fair, look at it! It's different and promising, and I always liked authors who give importance to their cover.

Sometimes, choosing a book outside your direct, immediate interest works too! This is the third time I've read an MM story and I'm happy to say that it's the second I liked it.

I liked how the fantasy/paranormal aspects and romance parts are both important and contribute to each other. "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" is the key to both plans. I liked how the action elements are played and how our main character deals with his vulnerability, and that "Because I'm (he's) badass." His humor comes at the right moments to enrich and substantiate the atmosphere. Started with a boom, the storyline is well handled, there are several surprises or unexpected and I was fully involved.

I liked how the love story part debuted and evolved and how the author managed to reach the climax of passion and intimacy with only one or two explicit but delicate moments. What I would have liked is that the transfer between Hazel and Thatch to be more developed, especially giving the title. Callen and Thatch are so different and yet both very, very lovable. I would have liked a hetero story like theirs.

I loved all the characters, their diversity as species and how "politically correct" declarations were avoided. Everything is how it should be and we, as human or paranormal individuals, are not defined by our sexual orientations.

Becca Seymour is now on my list of writers to keep an eye on. Straight or gay, I believe many of you will enjoy Thicker than Water! Enjoy!

Profile Image for Joyfully Jay.
7,289 reviews412 followers
A Joyfully Jay review.

Thicker Than Water by Becca Seymour begins with a real bang and doesn’t let up. This novel is a fast-paced action thriller with a dash of romance thrown in for good measure. I really appreciated how the author chose to keep the attraction element between Thatch and Callen simmering almost the entire novel and give it just enough fodder to keep it percolating, but not overtake the plot. Instead, the book is really is all about unraveling the mystery of who is the head of the group developing the drug and the cold-blooded, systematic sacrifice of female shifters used to get results. When Callen finally learns just how those he loves are involved, his pain is realistic and his frantic worry to save others make for the heart of a good story that has multiple twists and turns.

Read Sammy’s review in its entirety here.

Profile Image for Mari  Cardenas.
2,009 reviews23 followers
5 Stars!

So, I picked this book on a whim and what do you know? It actually paid off. LOL I'm a big fan of urban fantasy books and Thicker Than Water really hit its mark with me.

Smart-mouthed SCIB Agent Callen Blackheath finds himself involved in a new case after his latest act of defying orders lands him in the middle of an operation that turns more personal than he would've wanted. The only good thing to come out of it, is finding a place in a task force lead by Liam "Thatch" Thatcher and getting close to the man as he helps Thatch adapt to his new shifter status and the bond and memories that come with it. As they close in on the bad guys, Callen and Thatch will need to trust in each other and their team to put an end to an operation that could potentially harm lots of shifters.

While the book is told from Callen's POV, it's well-rounded enough that I never felt like I didn't know Thatch enough, same with the rest of the secondary cast. Callen was all attitude and defiance with his immediate boss, yet, he fit so well with Thatch's team from the start. Thatch was a great team leader, and just perfect for Callen on a personal level. Even if there was enough going on with the investigation and the romance simmered on the background, the chemistry was definitely there from the moment they met. I actually loved that, it was a slow-burn and the UST was so thick it could be cut with a knife, but the author kept in mind that they were on a very important mission so it made sense for them to wait.

The book was action-packed, fast-paced, with a fantastic main and secondary cast and a great, complex storyline that I couldn't get enough of. I am aware Ms. Seymour mainly writes contemp romance, but I really hope she writes more urban fantasy in the future, because she certainly has a gift for this kind of books.

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***
Profile Image for Rosabel.
688 reviews151 followers
July 15, 2020
I was looking for another book when I found this one, it was a shifter story with an interesting plot so I went for it.

The story is about Callen, a wolve shifter who is also a cop and is investigating a case related to drugs, while scouting for information he finds himself in the middle of another operation that involves his sister. There he meets Thatch, the human/cop that his sister turns into a werewolve before dying. And then shit happens!

The story was interesting, the worldbuilding was decent, and the case was actually really well crafted. I had some issues with the writing, it was difficult to me to understand sometimes what was going on, English is not my first language but normally I don't have this problem.

Also, how they handled death sometimes made me uncomfortable, especially Jensen's, the guy died and in a hour Callen was lusting after Thatch in front of the whole team, not cool.

Overall was a fun read! 🥰
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for DebbieReadsBooks.
2,345 reviews38 followers
March 18, 2020
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book.
Callen finds Thatch, the leader of a black ops task force, bleeding and bitten when he goes against orders, again. But Thatch was bitten by Callen's sister, and his niece is now missing and Thatch might be the only link to finding the child. But as the investigation spreads its net, Callen is forced to make some decisions, decisions that could cost him his heart.
I really REALLY enjoyed this from Ms Seymour! She usually writes fairly fluffy, contemporaries and this isn't fluffy, nor contemporary but it is great!
I loved the twist to werewolf lore, that the oly way for a wolf to be made is to be bitten. But that act kills the wolf and transfers all their memories to the new wolf.
I loved the supporting cast, and all the little . .hints/clues/dropped comments . . .about them. Some questions wre thrown up, that haven't been answered here. However, in my personal experience, its best not to wait for those questions to be answered cos the last time I felt like this, I had a right proper hissy fit when those questions were NOT answered LOL So I won't voice those questions, and then I can't be dissappointed, right?
I loved Callen. He is funny and hilarious, and dark and deadly. He is deep and meaningful, but takes great pleasure in winding his friends up.
I loved that fact tht the bond between Callen and Thatch creep up on them, and there isn't that MINE moment at first meeting. It DOES come, but it's more growled out of Callen in reaction to someone else touching Thatch.
So why only 4 stars with all those things I loved?
Thatch isn't given a voice.
Now, I know I say it a lot, and I will continue to say it where I think it necessary but HERE I think it really needed. Thatch takes ALL of his Hazel's, Callen's sister, memories and thoughts and feelings. ALL of them. And that had to be confusing when they start to come through! When those memories sends them far north to find Hazel's daughter. When he comes face to face with that daughter. What was Thatch feeling? I needed that, I really did, and if I HAD Thatch, I have no doubt, not a single one, that this would have been a 5 star read.
I don't know if this is a stand alone, or there will be more of this group of people, I hope so, I really do!
But I don't get Thatch, and so. . .
4 good, great solid stars
**same worded review will appear elsewhere**
Profile Image for Dahlia Donovan.
Author 42 books727 followers
March 18, 2020
5 out of 5 stars

I LOVE a good urban fantasy.

And Thicker Than Water is DEFINITELY a brilliant one.

Fast paced. Sexy supernatural creatures. Twists and turns. Highly Emotional moments. Romance. Love. It has everything you want.

It was the perfect read on a day that I definitely needed the distraction of being carried away on an adventure.

Highly recommend.
March 15, 2020
Not your usual shifter story, different and refreshing. Becca is a new author to me and she had me intrigued from the very start. Loved the characters and watching them evolve along with the story. Really enjoyable.

*ARC kindly given in exchange for an honest review, thank you so much*
Profile Image for Kim Stone.
1,244 reviews8 followers
April 9, 2020
I’ve read this author before. This is a MM contemporary paranormal romance. Main characters are Callen a born wolf shifter and Thatch a new changed wolf shifter. Both belong to a secret arm of law enforcement. This book is set in Australia. Tragedy and fight scenes this book has it all. I’ll read more from this author. This book has the most amazing cover too.
Profile Image for Shakera.
621 reviews11 followers
March 16, 2020
When outcast, Callen Blackheath, breaks orders and rushes into a burning building, his life changed forever. In this building, he found two bodies, one belonging to his sister, who is now dead, and the other belonging to Thatch. Without knowing the connection Thatch has to his sister, Callen gets both bodies out of the burning building just in time. Together, can Callen and Thatch get the most lethal drug off the street and out of the hands of rogue shifters and other paranormals?

I have to say, I struggled with this a bit. I thought this was an exciting story, and there was a bit of humor to it, but something was missing for me. The characters were interesting enough, but I think a little more backstory on Thatch could have helped a little. There was too much effort in making him appear mysterious. Callen was a fantastic character. He was laid back, and his interactions with the vampire, Kent, added the comic relief. There was non-stop action, making almost every page a page-turner. If there is a sequel, I would be interested in reading it; hopefully, it will have Thatch’s backstory in it.
Profile Image for Tracie R.
2,077 reviews
March 24, 2020
4.5 Stars
I was really taken by Thicker Than Water, the way Ms Seymour brought her characters together and captured their essence and stories within the pages made for compelling reading leaving me unable to put it down. A well-paced and delivered paranormal m/m romance I can only hope there is more to come, and the author makes this book the start to an amazing series.
Profile Image for Lana  (Lore & Lullabies).
145 reviews22 followers
May 7, 2021
This was everything I didn't know I needed.

Thicker than Water is a queer paranormal romance. Callen is a shifter agent of the Supernatural Crimes Investigation Bureau, but is more of a rip-sh*t-and-bust kind of guy than a follow procedure guy. On mission where he does indeed rip-sh*+-and-bust, he stumbles into a much bigger case that gets him seconded to a secret unit within the bureau. This case is close to home for Callen will do whatever it takes to solve it, even if it means following the rules.

Becca Seymour has put a unique spin on how shifters are turned that I haven't read before and I was 100% here for it.

The ensemble cast was brilliant. I was invested in everyone. The sarcasm, humour and witty banter throughout the relationships, and Callen's monologue was hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud a few times.

I'm aware I haven't stayed anything about the romance. That is because it is so good, you should just read it and see it all play out. Just know that it involves one of the most intimate first shifts I've ever read.

I want more of this series so badly!!!

Actual rating 4.5
Profile Image for R.
1,657 reviews
December 3, 2021
Callen Blackheath left his pack and his sadistic father behind. He joined a supernatural investigative unit. His investigation leads him to Thatch.

He find his sister dead. She bit Thatch right before she died, giving him pieces and parts of her memories. Thatch is dealing with becoming a wolf shifter, trying to stop a deadly new drug and Callen. Which might be the biggest problem he’s ever faced.

I loved Callen and Thatch’s give and take. Kind of a fast slow burn. Really good, numerous characters with surprising depth. Inventive story line involving several types of shifters, vampires, and humans. Different type of story for this author but I liked it.

Review Copy requested and reviewed on behalf of OMGReads.
Profile Image for Vicki.
705 reviews12 followers
March 17, 2020
A well written, fast paced, action packed shifter mystery romance that had me hooked from the first page. This story just flowed so well that I couldn’t put it down. The main characters Callen and Thatch have bucket loads of chemistry and both are interesting and likeable. Callen is pretty laid back with a great sense of humour whilst Thatch, the team leader, is a bit more on the serious side but let’s himself go a bit with Callen. Some great side characters really add to the story. There’s no angst, lots of action, a slow burning romance and little nuggets of humour sprinkled throughout the story. A really enjoyable read that I highly recommended.
Profile Image for Devoted❤️Reader.
1,226 reviews22 followers
April 11, 2021
Superb

I need more of the SICB, Callen, Thatch and the team! Becca Seymour weaves a fantastic urban fantasy world that had me on the edge and pulled at my emotions. “Every single moment had led me to this moment.” I loved the vibe between Thatch and Callen. From how they protected each other to how they communicated, they’re amazing partners. I just wish they had more “them” time but what they could find was smoking. With such a wonderful, entertaining cast of characters, I hope there’s more to come as I think more teammates need a HEA and I know there’s more adventures to be had.
Profile Image for Kristy Maitz.
2,397 reviews
March 21, 2020
The start was pulling, characters interesting but writing stile, story development scattered. A lot of wholes inside the story plot stays unsaid (for example - Callen past). Even romance between Callen & Liam cant make it better. Why? Because there is no drama, no complicated moments between them - nothing. Their getting together is just it. So for me it was boring, boring boring.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,457 reviews29 followers
3.5 stars - I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads

This is an exciting and fast paced supernatural crime story. The story follows Callan, a bad boy special agent as he accidentally becomes embroiled in a dangerous secret investigation. When Callan’s own family is threatened, Callan must work with his new secret team to protect his niece and the other wolf shifters at risk.

I loved the Australian setting of this story and I liked the unusual characters. Thatch’s secret team has the kind of familial camaraderie fans of American crime dramas will appreciate and I enjoyed the way the author weaves Aboriginal communities into the shifter world building.

The romance between Callan and Thatch is a little bit instalove and a little too easy. I like the two men together but I wouldn’t necessarily read the book for the romance. Similarly, while the writing is strong enough to tell the story, the characters aren’t very well developed and there’s a lack of depth and complexity to the relationships in the story. There’s a breathless ‘and then, and then, and then…” structure to the story that sometimes feels more like teen fanfic than published novel. Fans of Marvel cinema will probably enjoy this but readers who love Patricia Briggs, TJ Klune or Kelley Armstrong’s shifters may find this shifter adventure somewhat disappointing.
Profile Image for Anne Barwell.
Author 17 books92 followers
March 27, 2020
I loved this story and hope the author hasn’t finished with these characters and their world. I also loved that it was set in Australia—there needs to be urban fantasy/paranormal romance set in this side of the world.

I liked that the world building is fabulous and a little different. I loved that there are different kinds of supernaturals working together with humans in a task force. I also liked that the world building and plot unfolded bit by bit rather than info dumping all at once.

Callen and Thatch complement each other well, and I loved how, although Thatch comes across as very competent there are things he totally sucks at. The cooking scene was very amusing, and the memories he shares bittersweet. I loved their dance around their attraction to each other. I liked Callen and Lucas’ friendship too, and thought their banter was fabulous and felt very real.

Callen’s father is a real piece of work. I loved Lucas and Koen, and hope they get their own stories. Kent needs more screen time too. I liked that there were consequences with the missions not always going well, and necessary recovery time.

The plot was interesting, well thought out and compelling. I got sucked into trying to figure out who the bad guys were very quickly. I like stories where I’m trying to figure things out alongside the characters. The action scenes were page turners and the ending left me very satisfied.

More please.

Profile Image for Sarita Chapdelaine.
1,170 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2020
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review.

This is a great story with wonderful characters, an intriguing storyline, the world building is excellent and I really enjoyed it. The fast pace, intense action, compelling characters and surprising twists had me fully engaged until the very end. Callen and Thatch have an instant connection and smoking hot chemistry and I love how their relationship evolves. I like that they are so different but are still exactly what the other needs. Their main focus is on keeping everyone safe and figuring out who is behind the new drug that is causing devastation for shifters. They will have to risk everything to protect Callen's niece and get to the truth. I love the secondary characters, the ending is great and I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Profile Image for Susan Anne.
571 reviews2 followers
March 16, 2020
I received a copy of Thicker Than Water by Becca Seymour via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review. I’ve been reading books about shifters and vampires for a long time (thanks LKH!), so finding a new twist on the creation of either is always entertaining. The idea a shifter could create a new shifter by biting them at the time of the first shifter’s death, thus gifting not only the ability to shift but more, is new to me. I’ve also not read a shifter/vamp story set in Australia before, which substantially added to the story’s appeal for me, as I loved visiting the country in the past. While there were a few gaps in the mystery it still was gripping. It also was fun watching the relationship between Callen and Thatcher play out amidst all the mayhem of containing the bad guys. I hope the author sets another book in this world they’ve created.
Profile Image for Dan.
984 reviews17 followers
October 24, 2021
This is a complex, intricate book, so if you're reading with a hard headache you'll likely miss details. Be warned. It was otherwise a really good book!
Being half out of my mind with pain didn't stop me from liking the book, though. I really enjoyed how the world is set, the crime fighting system, and the character development. I do wish we'd gotten a bit more detail in the worldbuilding. There's details left a bit too ambiguous, and it took me a while to find out it's set in Australia and not an imaginary city or a generic location. I know some people gripe about exposition, but I like the details. They make the books more special.
Profile Image for Ashley Carr, LSoR.
3,874 reviews45 followers
March 14, 2020
I love it when an author combines my two favorite genre tropes- PNR and M/M. This author does it beautifully! The story kept me glued to my Kindle and I read it in one sitting not going to bed until the wee hours of the morning just to finish it. Callen does what he does best and defies orders when it becomes personal to his family. He meets Thatch, and the one part his sister left him he will definitely defy them. I love the slow burn romance between Callen and Thatch. Will they be able to solve the mystery about the drugs and blood before it’s too late?
Profile Image for Maria Vickers.
Author 58 books375 followers
March 16, 2020
Ready for some non-stop action, a good story, a creative plot, and some amazing characters? You need to read Thicker than Water by Becca Seymour. Callen and Thatcher were interesting, and while I enjoyed them alone, I really loved them together. They drove the story, but the plot was great too!!

The book is really good and had me turning the page and getting lost in the words from the beginning. I feel like we have a lot more to learn, or if it wasn't on purpose, we are missing information and need more background. I highly recommend this book though and give it 4 stars. One-click today!
Profile Image for Kathy Wideman.
2,115 reviews25 followers
April 12, 2020
This was a great read. Callen is a member of the Supernatural Investigation & Crime Bureau (SICB). While looking into something for a case, things become personal for him. His sister is found dead in a lab he learns they could be after his niece. Callen meets Liam while at the same lab. Liam is bitten and turned. Liam is the head of special task force. He could be the one to help Callen take these people down. What neither expected was to develop feelings for each other. Callen must battle his feelings for Liam while focusing on the case. Things are trickier than they first expected. Could someone from the agency be helping the bad guys? This was an interesting read. I liked that is was different than other shifter books I have read. I would love to read more about these characters and this agency. I will be keeping my eye out. Great job Becca.
Profile Image for Natalina Reis.
Author 25 books281 followers
April 10, 2020
Ms. Seymour has delivered again. Her jump from contemporary romance to fantasy has more than worked; it rocked! I'm a fantasy/PNR freak and Thicker Than Water kept me turning pages to find out what's next. The action never stops and the mystery is intriguing, but for me the best part was the characters; they were well developed, likable, and their chemistry came across loud and clear. I was a bit worried I would lose interest because I am not a fan of "tough" guys, but these two guys had just the right amount of sweetness underneath all that testosterone to make me fall in love with both of them. Well down, Ms. Seymour. Can't wait for the next one (there will be another, right?).
457 reviews5 followers
August 3, 2020
Pleasant surprise.

Becca Seymour is a new author for me. I must say I enjoyed this book very much. The plot is well laid and the characters are fun.b
Profile Image for Beth.
2,258 reviews15 followers
October 7, 2021
Enjoyable and different take on shifters

I enjoyed this book. The setup was different, the suspense kept things interesting and the relationship between the MCs was sweet.

The story arc moves well but I would have liked some more character development and back story, especially for Thatch. I kind of felt at times that I was missing something I was supposed to know, as if there was a previous book.

The ending was abrupt and I’d have liked a more detailed closure.
Profile Image for J.P. Jackson.
Author 10 books132 followers
June 3, 2020
I love a good Urban Fantasy story. I also love it when a book shows life from a different perspective. Seymour is an author out of Queensland, Australia, and as you might expect, her tale is one hundred percent Australian. Instantly, all the characters had accents as they read to me from the pages of the book.

For me, as a Canadian, that's a different perspective, one I wasn't expecting and it was a pleasant surprise.

Callum was our lead character, a wolf shifter (not a werewolf, that's different), and professionally was a rule-breaking cop who stumbles upon a case that is already being investigated by the SICB (Supernatural Investigation & Crime Bureau). Quickly, Callum gets seconded over to the SICB where he takes on a lead position in the investigation of a criminal organization that is using the blood of shifters to create a potent elixir for Vampires.

Callum is gruff, likable, unpredictable, and definitely swoon-worthy. Through some twists and turns, the case ends up having ex-pack and family connections which certainly adds to the tension in the book.

Thatch is our romantic interest, Callum's boss at the SICB, and one tough-as-nails law enforcement officer.

I liked the story. There were a few things that didn't work for me, and I had to pull myself back into the story in order to get through it. I desperately wanted more world-building, background on the shifters (there were a handful of different species), how they came about, why they were different than werewolves. There are vampires in the mix too, and play central key figures, but we never really get a good handle on them...and at one point I thought perhaps maybe I had missed a previous book? As far as I can tell this is a stand-alone. For me, I need the magic and culture behind the creature. Some may not need this. So if that's not a prerequisite, you'll never notice.

I've seen some of the other reviews talk about how the romance in this story is insta-love, and I'd have to disagree - somewhat. In shifter lore, there are a lot of stories that revolve around the 'fated mate' trope. Wolves in the wild can form monogamous pairs, although pack alphas will be more promiscuous, and let's face it, evolution favors wild and rampant sex. That's how you ensure the continuation of the species, right? So, as much as Thatch and Callum are attracted to each other and become mates straight away, it fits in with the genre, and so I can't fault that.

The romance is steamy, although there isn't a lot of it - which is fine - it's not the main focus of the book.

The action is certainly well written, and Seymour has her skills well-honed here.

I had a bit of a tough time believing that a cop who has family ties to a case was still allowed to participate in the investigation of that case. Normally, the minute a case establishes close familial ties the affected law enforcement officer is removed in order to mitigate any bias. So again, if you can just go with the flow, and ignore that aspect, you'll be fine.

Overall, I enjoyed the book but was left wanting a little more in terms of the magic and urban fantasy background.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 53 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.