Start by marking “The Weight of Living (Cherrywood Grove, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Living (Cherrywood Grove, #3)

The Weight of Living

(Cherrywood Grove #3)

When she arrives for a working vacation, shy photographer Trisha Ivy doesn’t expect much from Cherrywood Grove. Then she runs into beautiful, confident Gabi Gonzalez, a caterer working all the same weddings… and also the daughter of Trisha’s favorite childhood TV star. Trisha can’t resist getting to know her. After all, she’s only in town for the summer, and Gabi is straig ...more
ebook, 1st edition
Published February 17th 2020 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of Living

Start your review of The Weight of Living (Cherrywood Grove, #3)
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

This was a truly beautiful and well-written book. It dealt with so many different life experiences, especially about the many ways different people can come out to both themselves and others. I particularly liked and related to Gabi's own path in coming out and how this isn't always as straight-forward as media (or real life) usually portrays it.

On the other ha
Trio
The Weight of Living is the third book in the Cherrywood Grove series and can absolutely be read as a standalone.

Everything M.A. Hinkle has to say is about the issues in this book are absolutely beautifully written, and so relevant and important right now. I enjoyed the characters and the relationships, and as I say, it's no hardship to read Hinkle's stunning prose.

Honestly, what hurt this book for me and brought it from five down to four stars, is the confusing jumping around with the timelines
R.J. Sorrento
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanks NetGalley for the eARC.

The Weight of Living is a character study that delves deep into Gabi’s past and examines Trisha’s present (the two alternating POVs). These two struggling millennials meet while working summer weddings in Cherrywood Grove (this is the third book in M.A. Hinkle’s series but can be read as a standalone). Gabi is a chef and Trisha is a photographer. Like many millennials, they don’t work a 9 to 5 office job, and do their best to make ends meet by taking all the gigs t
Andi
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Cute summer romance. Rural Midwest with Latina lead. Early 30s coming out story - coming out can happen at any time, and even in a family with a bi older sister and a lesbian niece it can still be scary af.

For the past year since the death of her father and her return to her rural Wisconsin hometown, Gabi Gonzalez has been barely getting by. Oh, financially she is fine after taking over her family's catering business, but emotionally she is just flat - unsure what to do about her future and stuc
Kyle
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was read as part of the Sapphic Book Club hosted by @sapphicbookclub.

It's not slow burn if you read it fast enough, right?

This book had a bit of a rocky start for me. The time hops were a little confusing at times but I got used to them eventually and found that they really ended up enhancing the story.

The characters really grew on me and were the high point of the story in my opinion. They made me feel seen in a way I didn't know I needed. I really connected with Gabi because it took
Best Lesfic Reviews
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is probably the first book we’ve read with a trans lead and are utterly bowled by the gentleness, delicacy and love with which she’s been written.

Read the full review @ https://bestlesficreviews.blogspot.co...
Karen
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Cherrywood Grove series and I don't believe you need to read the others to read this. As I was reading it, I never felt lost of that I needed to go back to the others to see what is going on.

The Weight of Living was better than I anticipated. There were some surprises about the characters that I never guessed until I was told. I don't want to spoil it so I will not say, but I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed getting to know both Trisha and Gabi. I did find it weird
Isabelle Adler
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This was a beautiful, bitter-sweet read that featured a touching romance, straightforward in some ways and complicated in others. The two heroines, Gabi and Trisha, were so gentle and sensitive of each other's issues, and both struck a cord in my heart, if in different ways.
I must say that it was incredibly refreshing to read about queer characters who communicate openly with each other and are given plenty of space to discuss personal issues in a mindful and positive manner without pandering to
Jasmine
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read any of the others in this series and had no trouble reading this as a standalone book.

After Gabi's father dies she finds herself a little lost, not sure who she is inside or on the outside, personally and professionally. When she meets Trisha, a photographer, at one of the weddings she's working with her catering business she finds herself drawn to the other woman in ways she can't quite put to words. The two become fast friends, sharing secrets and talking with an ease they've n
Sam
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gabi is the daughter of a local celebrity chef, she goes to culinary school away from home to become her own person and not stand in her dad’s shadow all the time.
Trisha is a photographer, she comes from a cult like family, she moves to the big city to study and be free.

The book jumps in time, Gabi’s POV is all from the the past, Trisha is in the present. At first I thought the dates in chapters made no sense, until I realised it had todo with the tragic event in Gabi’s life.
The two women keep
Caitlin
Lily Seabrooke
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC for this book, free copy in exchange for an honest review, etc. So now let me tell you this book is amazing and I'm so grateful for the chance to read it! I'm a trans lesbian and maybe one in a million books actually have people like me, and when they include anything about trans people, inevitably it's the same coming-out story. This book handles Trisha navigating that confusing story that comes after coming out and transitioning with a grace and realness that feels beautiful in ev ...more
A.E. Bross
My first venture into M.A. Hinkle's writing, but I assure you, it will NOT be the last.

I sat down withThe Weight of Living early this morning and wound up reading through it in one sitting. I adored the characters, both Gabi and Trisha, though Trisha stole my heart with her love of Sailor Moon and, OF COURSE, Cardcaptor Sakura (my favorite manga/anime EVER... EVER-EVER). One of my favorite aspects of this story was the pacing, which felt perfect from beginning to end.

While I will admit that the
Kate
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a really slow read. One reviewer described it as a character study and I think that is fair. Unfortunately that means it is a very slow read. Ultimately there isn’t really a story here. What there is makes it worth a solid 3.5 stars. Hinkle does a wonderful job of sharing the ups and downs of coming out. The characters are lovely, especially the charmingly geeky Trisha. The glimpse into trans* experience was wonderful. I’d say this is a perfect summer beach read.

Glyn
(Ebook ARC provided by netgalley in exchange for an honest review)

The weight of living
Professional review:

I’ve read a lot of romance novels. So I went into this book with a lot of preconceived notions, and it blew them all away and took me by surprise in the best possible way.

Instead of a straight up romance, it’s about identity (gender and sexuality), as well as the gradually forming relationship between our two heroines.

Which, I usually avoid books on discovering your queer identity. I’ve li
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:(view spoiler)
Kristian Walls
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Weight of Living is a heavy book (pun not intended) both emotionally and contextually. Grief hangs heavy over the story as well as the struggles of gender identity and sexual orientation. This book packs an emotional lunch to the gut. In a good way?
Trisha is fantastic. She is an adorable little cinnamon roll who has had a really rough time especially growing up. She is a sweet, cute, awkward, nerdy, socially inept due to lack of confidence, and absolutely amazing.
Gabi is also going through a
Suzanne Clay
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't always find books that hit every love button I have, but when I do, you know I have to scream from the rooftops about them.

The Weight of Living is the third book in the Cherrywood Grove series, of which I've read the first two as well, and going into it I knew a handful of things to expect:

---Cute lesbians
---Cute setting
---Cute side characters
---Me inevitably crying at least once no matter how cute everything was

All of these criteria were met, but I was extremely excited when I realized
Jacqueline Rohrbach
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story! The Weight of Living was a low-action but much-feels book. I'd rec it to anyone who's looking for a read where the queer characters shine and their issues are front and center without being melodramatic for straight audiences. The book itself deals with some pretty sad topics and might be a bit heavy for readers who want purely lighthearted romances. The romance, though it comes later in the book, delivers on a HEA that felt earned.

Though the material is often dark, I'd
Domi
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a bit different from what I was expecting. Is that bad? No, not necessarily, cause I loved the detail oriented story about a geeky trans gay woman Trisha and Gaby, who hasn't come out as a anytthing yet. Throw in a bi-sexual sister married to a man, a very out younger girl and you have multiple points of view into the queer life. I liked it, there was great character development, a lot of eye for detail and many different views of life included. Romance was very slow, but the conne ...more
Carmen
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was ok

The book had some things going for it including well written timeline jumps, quirky chapter titles, and under represented points of view. However, the two main characters were the least interesting characters in the whole book. I was constantly looking forward to the bits with the more interesting side characters, and not very engaged with the romance between the two main characters.
Lacey Struensee
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Food, photography, queer people... it’s seriously all my favorite things! The Weight of Living is relatable for so many small town Wisconsin folks in the LGBTQIA+ community. LOVE!
Claire Knight
Feb 29, 2020
Delete_charles_you_cowards
May 17, 2020
Charles
rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2020

• To the Moon and Back
  • Mending Fences
  • Face the Music
  • Reasons to Heal
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Flavor of the Month
  • Elimination (After Dark, #3)
  • What the Heart Remembers Most
  • Temptation
  • Perfect Timing
  • Flight to the Horizon
  • Modern English

Cherrywood Grove (3 books)
  • Death of a Bachelor (Cherrywood Grove, #1)
  • Diamond Heart (Cherrywood Grove #2)

News & Interviews