Start by marking “Liebestrasse” as Want to Read:

Liebestrasse

During the final years of the Weimar Republic, Sam meets Philip in Berlin and they fall in love. Their romance is hit with an unspeakable reality as the Nazis come to power and fascism makes them a target.

Part of the comiXology Originals line of exclusive digital content only available on comiXology and Kindle. This title is available as part of comiXology Unlimited, Kin
Published November 6th 2019 by Greg Expectations / comiXology Originals

To ask other readers questions about Liebestrasse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liebestrasse

Start your review of Liebestrasse
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I cling to our youth as the world limps forward to heal."

I love the OTP so much 💕

"You are so endearingly embarrassing.
Dance with me a bit?"

My heart in knots.

One is serious.

The other is like the butterfly you want to catch and keep it for yourself but you know you cannot.

Philip.

One is ready to plan and explore.

The other is impulsive and live at the moment.

Heartwarming moments.

Heartbreaking moments.

Philip.

Feeling at home with each other.

F
Brigi
I so rarely read comics, but every time I do, I swear to explore this world more.

Liebestrasse is really beautiful and sad. It's about Sam, an American guy, who moves to Berlin for his job. Here he meets Philip, and they hit it off immediately. Unfortunately, the rise of the nazii regime stands in the way of their love.

I really, really liked the colours of this comic, some panels are incredible, so rich and lush. It's also amazing how both main characters re so fleshed out, and their banter is A+
Venus Maneater
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, mm
It's a beautiful work about love and passion.

There's the love Sam feels for pre-war Berlin, magical and sweet. Berlin opens her arms and and greets him warmly.

There's the love one can feel for art in her many shapes and forms. The passion that resonates in the people that flock to it. Bourgeoisie, those that enjoy life in the moment. Those that refuse to conform to the increasing pressure of Nazi Germany.

And there's a love between two men, a love that feels so average and so mundane and absol
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical-gems
A Beautiful yet Poignant tale.

I don’t really like comics. I like BIG books with heart.

But

So

Much

Heart

Too!

This is a tale that the whole world should take a few minutes and read.

Liebestrasse=Deep love 3.5 unfinished Stars✨🍃If this was complete...it would be five stars. But, I find myself hoping for a continuation of this story.

I would love for a continuation*fingers crossed* for more
✨🍃
Claire
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This left me wishing it was longer but that's my only criticism ...more
Rebecca Crunden
Well, that was utterly heartbreaking. I will go sob in a corner now.
Alexander Peterhans
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: bought-digital
Feels a bit overly simplified and badly paced. The main characters seem to mainly be defined by their sexuality, their personalities are underwritten (Sam, the American), or a bit of a cliché (Philip, the Weimar hedonist who underestimates the danger of the Nazis). There isn't much romance going on between the main characters, not a lot of intimacy. Strangely, the comic feels like it censors their homosexuality in the first half - lights are clicked off before we can see the characters kiss (Lat ...more
Tracy (A Good Novel)
I found this one frustrating. While parts of the story were emotional, I was annoyed by how in the first half of the book, all the same-sex intimacy we see is literally holding hands. Philip and Samuel will be in bed together but never close; one of them is always just leaving the bed. By the time we see a kiss, they've already said they love each other. Isn't that backwards? We only see real intimacy as things are about to fall apart. And maybe that was deliberate, but this story just felt regr ...more
Sophie
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, graphic-novel
A very moving and heartbreaking story about two gay men during the Weimar Republic and their fates in the Third Reich. It’s a very good story, and the art is great, but in retrospect it wasn’t the best thing to read when I couldn’t sleep. There used to be a time when reading these stories was difficult and sad, but I was honestly confident this couldn’t happen again. (There was, of course, quite a bit of ignorance on my part). Now, I’m just scared. So yeah, read this, but maybe not when you’re a ...more
Can Richards
Jun 06, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A short tale of queer romance amidst the horrors of war, mundane love being ended by a government which deems it a monstrosity.

I liked the art and I felt the style and colouring fitted its noir vibe - I would love to see queer noir from this artist team!!

Unfortunately, I found the comic a bit too short, and thus the pacing was very abrupt. I didn’t really get a feel for the characters and who they were as people outside the relationships between each other. There was no romantic ten
Sam
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Heartbreaking. I'm sure there are countless real life stories like this from Nazi Germany. ...more
Stephen King
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Just so beautiful. Manages to tell a sad story of a dark time in a lovely, gentle, but sharply honest light.
dylan
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, favorites
an incredibly evocative historic graphic novel about gay men in the weimar republic!!! so stunning
Gonzalo Urrutia
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, heartbreaking, the story of an American man falling in love with a German during the rise of the Nazi government is an important, significant drop in the ocean of stories highlighting the humanity within the tragedy, a tragedy that's so easy to reduce to numbers. ...more
Mirko Bozic
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Liebesstrasse" is one of those you'd probably miss if you don't dig too deep. It almost happened to me while browsing through Amazon's discount catalogue. Fortunately, I took the opportunity and read this short, but touching and poignant story of a gay couple in pre-WW2 Berlin, with all the glitz and decadence. But time passes and after Nazis take charge, the couple and everyone around them are affected by the new government. There are many historically accurate aspects, like the private exhibi ...more
Paddy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Liebestrasse

Beautiful, captivating, succinct - and yet surprisingly deep, Liebestrasse pulls at the heartstrings and then claws at them.

Set in the twilight years of the vibrant Weimar Republic as the shadow of fascism begins to rise and take root, it is a tale told with great sensitivity with regards the experiences of Gay men - all too often overlooked when discussions of Nazi Germany's brutal "cleansing" programs take place.

The art is quite beautiful and compliments the story perfectly - bei
Gayle Francis
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A heartfelt love story that infuses the early Nazi years in Germany with a sense of rage and unhappiness from Germans who can't figure out how to fight back and stay safe under the dictatorship. To call it bittersweet is to put it too lightly. Two men in love in a rapidly changing Germany, and then one is arrested and the other has to flee, and there he is, in 1950s New York looking back and thinking back and visiting again.

It's hard to pinpoint what I mean when I say I'm tired of tragic queers
Hung
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not counting the gay reporters storyline from Saga, this is the turn out to be my first comic with gay adult characters and relationship as the main focus.

Set in Berlin in the days before the Nazi took over the country, Sam an American businessman fell in love with Phillip, a German. That bitter sweet ending, the best kind of ending for a love story got me close to tears. When I turned the last page, I had to re-read the first few pages again to get the whole story.
Pilos
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
An emotional story about two man loving each other during the third Reich.
This comic offers several thoughts about the growth of a toxic idea which is bound to get concrete.
It's not just a love story
Stephen Quinn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brutal and beautiful

Absolutely heartbreaking but exquisitely told. Another painful perspective of a difficult time in history but also a snapshot of a truly uplifting relationship.
Rasmenia Massoud
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful and devastating. I loved it. It gets everything right. I found myself smiling when they fell in love and heartbroken when their world fell out from under them. It's a quick read, but the story and artwork pack a lot into each page. Highly recommended. ...more
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short glimpse into a lost world

The story follows an American man who lived and found love in the artistic, intellectual and queer Berlin just as the Nazis came to power. Lovely art, interesting historical glimpse into the intelligentsia of the period, and a bittersweet story.
Travis
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, comics
It was okay. I didn't really love the art, and the dialogue was weirdly stilted. Not sure if they were trying to represent the fact that it was not the POV character's native language or what, but it didn't work for me. ...more
Ben Howard
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Found this on Prime Reading and decided to give it a try.

Liebestrasse is a graphic novel that follows the life of an American man who moves to Germany in 1932 and falls in love with a man there. We follow the couple and how they are effected by the Nazi's rise to power and the beginning of WWII.

A poignant read which gives a lesser told perspective on a tragic period of history.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good fast read

This a fast, moving examination of homosexuality and true love during the rise of the Nazis in Germany ahead of World War II. A shattering read
Christopher Vian
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A melancholic reflection on the love of an American banker in the Weimar Republic. I would definitely recommend for anyone who thinks gay love began in 1969.
Andre Ng
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is a heartbreaking short story. It is not cheesy at all. I love the art style.
Molli B.
Well, that was sad :/ Doesn’t really pull any punches! It’s a wonder people ever recover from all the horrible things in the world.
Ashley
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
It reminded me a lot of the movie Christopher and His Kind which took place in the same time and setting. (And based on a true story).
Sam
Heartbreaking...utterly heartbreaking.

• Youth (comiXology Originals) #1 (of 4)
  • Youth (comiXology Originals) #4 (of 4)
  • Youth (comiXology Originals) #3 (Youth, #3)
  • Youth #2 (Youth, #2)
  • CREMA (comiXology Originals)
  • Roots
  • The Pride Season One (comiXology Originals)
  • Memetic
  • Something Like Summer - The Comic - Volume One: Summer (Something Like Comics Book 1)
  • Tremor Dose (comiXology Originals)
  • A Thousand Mornings
  • Forgotten Home #1
  • Afterlift
  • In The Flood (comiXology Originals)
  • The Pride Season Two (comiXology Originals)
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • Adventure Time: The Ooorient Express (Adventure Time OGN, #10)
  • Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens
Greg is a writer, editor, and story consultant focused on creating comic books.

As a member of the VERTIGO imprint editorial staff at DC COMICS, Greg worked on a number of titles including FABLES (and the spin-off series FAIREST), THE UNWRITTEN, FBP: FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS, SWEET TOOTH, THE KITCHEN, AMERICAN VAMPIRE, 100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO, and many others.

With artist Tim Fish, Greg wrote and