Start by marking “The Voting Booth” as Want to Read:
The Voting Booth

The Voting Booth

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  4,010 ratings  ·  1,155 reviews
Marva Sheridan was born ready for this day. She's always been driven to make a difference in the world, and what better way than to vote in her first election?

Duke Crenshaw is so done with this election. He just wants to get voting over with so he can prepare for his band's first paying gig tonight. Only problem? Duke can't vote.

When Marva sees Duke turned away from their
Published July 7th 2020 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Voting Booth, please sign up.
Anjenic Gibson Yes, it is available on Kindle. You'll find it under the name. …moreYes, it is available on Kindle. You'll find it under the name. (less)

·  4,010 ratings  ·  1,155 reviews

Start your review of The Voting Booth
Kat
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it
***read for YA lit course***

overall, i'm just really thrilled that a book pushing the message that young people's votes and voices matter in politics exists. i'm not the biggest fan of books that take place over one day bc i feel that things can be rushed, but that's really just a personal preference. objectively, i think the concept of this being set on election day was a good idea & brandy colbert executed it well.

also, seeing as this book is all about voting, i feel like now would be an appr
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I probably chose to read this on the wrong day, because ANXIETY. (if you're reading this in the future, I read it on the day of the 2020 US Presidential Election) I liked this quite a bit, but I preferred the moments when it focused on the actual voting/election bits. There was another storyline that was brought in that focused on a missing cat and I just felt like it was really random and I really didn't care (sorry lil missing cat lol). It does also have a bit of a rushed feeling, but that's b ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brandy Colbert is seriously THE BEST and this book was fantastic.
jenny✨
“Change takes time. And patience. And… a willingness to listen to people we may not understand.”

This was absolutely phenomenal, and I am utterly, UTTERLY blown away.

The Voting Booth tackles social justice, being Black in America, white privilege, grief, being mixed-race, interracial relationships, and the compassion fatigue of activism—and it does so with wit and banter and characters who are relatable, passionate, and compelling as heck.

In the tradition of The Sun Is Also a Star, this book
Gabby
This book was really good. I think this book is important because of the social commentary discussed in this book, and the reminder of how important it is for young people to vote! This book couldn't have come out at a better time. Young people need to understand that their voice can make a difference and they need to use their voice to make change.

This was a great audiobook, thanks to libro.fm for the ALC!
Emma Giordano
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Christy

The Voting Booth is an important story and one I enjoyed. I really need to read more of Brandy Colbert's books because I love her writing! I think books that take place in one day just aren't for me. Most of the time the pacing seems off and I can't get enough of a feel for a lot of the characters. I liked Marva and Duke and I especially liked reading about Duke's past and family. I think this book is so crucial for young people to read because voting is so important. I listened to the
Bookishrealm
Content Warnings: off the page death, voter suppression

4.5 Stars

Why is this my first Brandy Colbert book?!? She did some pretty amazing things with this book. I'm not sure what I was expecting in my read of this book, but I'm always down for a cute YA contemporary. However, the The Voting Booth was so much more. This story takes place over the course of an election day and I'm always weary of books that have that set up; nevertheless, Colbert does an amazing job.

I think the most important aspec
Jessica
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trigger Warnings for grief and death of a loved one.

This book was just everything. I think more than ever that this book sends some really important messages to the YA audience. Even the adult audience. Voting is important and voter suppression is a real issue. Marva is dedicated to helping people vote and encouraging youth that they can make a difference. When she saw that Duke was having trouble being able to vote, they spend the day trying find a way to finally allow him to vote. This book t
Larry H
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

Brandy Colbert's new book, The Voting Booth , is thought-provoking, timely, and sweetly romantic.

It’s Election Day. Marva has been waiting for this day for so long—it’s the first time she gets to vote and the stakes have never been higher. She is so excited to walk into that booth and cast her vote.

Having grown up with an activist older brother, Duke knows the importance of Election Day. Yet when he goes to vote before school he discovers he’s not registered at his precinct.

Overheari
Anniek
I'm absolutely loving the recent trend of politics in YA, which is due to 2020 being an election year in the US. If you're, like me, interested in these types of books, I would say that The Voting Booth is pretty much required reading.

The Voting Booth reminded me a lot of The Sun Is Also a Star as well, since it also all happens in one day. This makes the book perfect to read in one sitting, and I found it a very fast and engaging read.

I think this book will appeal to a large audience. It handle
sarah
“Change takes time. And patience. And a willingness to listen to people we may not understand.”

★★★☆☆.5 stars

The Voting Booth follows Marva Sheridan who is beyond excited to be able to vote in her first election. While she is at her polling place, she sees Duke get turned away, as he is registered in a different precinct. Marva takes it upon herself to make sure his vote is counted, and together they cut school, drive for hours, get turned away again and again. The rigged system is making it impo
Alaina
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been seeing so many people reading this book and I had some serious FOMO guys. Luckily for me, I found it and decided to dive into it!

The Voting Booth was kind of cute. I will admit that the beginning made me a bit hesitant because of what was going on but it definitely grew on me. In it, you will meet Marva and Duke. Now she (Marva) is beyond excited for election day. Why? Well it's her first time to vote and every vote counts. While at the polling place, she sees that Duke is turned awa
Ms. Woc Reader
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This isn't just some forced romance in a day story. Marva and Duke feel like real people. Some of us were Marva back in high school or college. She's the Black girl who has to navigate white spaces while being the best face forward. She has to check her white boyfriend and friends because the color of their skin allows them to not understand the privileged they use every day. They don't have to vote when the policies are already in their favor.

And Duke knows the importance of voting. It's been
Natasha Niezgoda
GET YOUR VOTE ON!!

description

If you need one more person to convince you to vote this year, meet Marva! Because saying that she’s waited her whole life for this day is an understatement and she’s here to empower all eligible voters to DO THE DEED!

In fact, the majority of this book is spent helping a new friend, Duke, vote in his first election too! She even goes so far to help a bunch of seniors make it to the polling place to cast their ballots. Yeah, voting is THAT important to her.

description

And she’s right, fo
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
This was absolutely phenomenal. So many important story threads that all fit together perfectly, combined with a one-day romance I could actually believe in and root for. Full review coming soon!
Mari
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it

I received a copy of this audiobook from libro.fm as part of their advanced listener copy program.

I'm not a huge reader of contemporary YA, but this was very sweet and readable and tackled a lot of important topics. I read it in one sitting on a Saturday afternoon, stuck in quarantine, and felt cozy as I read about being outside and also voting for policies that protected my right to live in peace. This gave me big time The Sun is Also a Star vibes, just because it has the same set up
✨    jamieson   ✨
dnf @ 45%. it's with a heavy I heart I am not finishing it. I really loved Brandy Colbert books in the past, but I was hesitant because this has lots of stuff I .. don't like? One day romances are not my thing, and it's an educational kind of YA which would be fine except that I am not really learning anything from this since I .. have a degree in this? I wanted to give it a chance anyway since I love the author, but I'm not enjoying it so I thought better to dnf it now before I start to resent ...more
Natalia Sylvester
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I know voting doesn’t solve everything, and people may think that one vote isn’t all that important, but I really believe it makes a difference.”

This quote by Marva in The Voting Booth so wonderfully sums up the hope & conviction at the heart of this novel. I loved it.
Bethany
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: black-authors
The Voting Booth is a timely and well-executed YA romance that talks about the importance of voting, the history of voter suppression among communities of color in the United States, political activism, and the daily experiences of Black Americans. It's a cute story that also packs a punch and this would be a fantastic book to hand to a teenager wondering if their voice can make a difference.

The book takes place during a single day, but we do get some flashbacks to add context. Marva is excited
farith

maybe i'm being too harsh on this book but okay...

while there were many things i appreciated like the black representation, the talk about interracial relationships and the encouragement towards youth on activism (and the importance of voting), i had some issues with the development of the story, the lack of depth on certain topics and the instalove .

the story focuses mainly on mava and duke on their first election day and the misfortunes that follow them. throughout the whole book w
Donalyn
This would make a great Netflix movie!
Kelly
Marva is a bit uptight, controlling, and loves to live by the rules. She's beyond excited to vote in her first election.

Duke is a bit more easy going, but he's dealing with tremendous loss in his life and the realities of being mixed race (his mother is white and his father is Black).

When Marva casts her vote in the election and sees the challenges Duke has in doing the same -- he's not on the precinct rolls -- she steps in. Together, they spend a day getting to know one another while also work
Romie
randomly decided to listen to this book and guess what? I read it in one go. the fact that this book takes place during just one day made everything go pretty quickly, because there's always something happening. I really liked the way this book shows how important it is to use your voice and fight for what you believe (4.25)

thank you libro.fm and Disney-Hyperion for the audio listening copy
Jane
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars (release date 7-7-2020)

You can read all of my reviews at https://www.NerdGirlLovesBooks.com.

This is a quick and easy read about two 18-year-0lds trying to vote for the first time in the general election. Set during a 24 hour time period, the two teenagers discuss such weighty topics as voter suppression, voter apathy, being black in america, white privilege, grief, interracial couples and other tough issues.

This is a good contemporary YA romance that also addresses social issues. Marva i
Mia
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
omg I hope there will be more political YA coming out, I enjoyed this so much! I think we are all feeling some type of way ahead of this year's election and it was really fun to see it in this setting while also exploring serious issues.

thank you to libro.fm for an ALC of this book. all thoughts are my own.
My_Strange_Reading
SO GOOD.
SO PURE.
SO RELEVANT.

It was a beautiful combination of diversity, fun, social issues and romance. Highly recommend.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
if you know me, you know i’m a sucker for books set over the course of one day, and also a sucker for books about politics. so a one-day romance set against the backdrop of election day, written by one of my favorite YA authors? it’s no surprise that i loved this.
Olivia
Aug 05, 2020 added it
This one-day-romance on election day is a quick read that feels like hope and teen love with an emphasis on important issues.

They are also right to market this as the election day version of The Sun is Also a Star.

I like that Marva and Duke's busy day felt... authentic. There wasn't much that felt far fetched and it was fun seeing all the things they did.

Their day is also moved by the realities of voting issues and suppression and I really enjoyed how this was done. I think this is a great read
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
I'm in awe of how this book is both warm and soft yet sharp and incisive; what an achievement! I love this book so so much and such a good YA that explores politics.

- Follows two teens in one day on Election Day in America; Marva, a Black teen passionate about voting rights and driven to make a difference in the world, and Duke, a biracial Black teen who carries grief with him and just wants to vote so he can focus on his band's first paying gig.
- The entirety of this story happens in one day,

• Wilder Girls
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • The Only Woman in the Photo: Frances Perkins & Her New Deal for America
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Promise to Return (The Promise of Sunrise #1)
  • Small in the City
  • Teaching Yoga Beyond the Poses: A Practical Workbook for Integrating Themes, Ideas, and Inspiration into Your Class
  • Dirty Hearts (The Lion and the Mouse #3)
  • Wherever I Go
  • With or Without You
  • Into the Tall, Tall Grass
  • After a Fashion (A Class of Their Own, #1)
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
  • Whose Waves These Are
Brandy Colbert was born and raised in the Missouri Ozarks. She lives and writes in Los Angeles.

Articles featuring this book

“And I know, deep down, that it was the right thing to do, but my chest still hurts the same way it does on the last day of school or New Year's Eve or the night before my birthday. It's the end of a chapter in my life. And, yes, another one will eventually open where this one closed, but it's scary, taking away that piece of comfort. Of routine.” 1 likes
“Like, I knew I had to start working to make sure things change, or I'd never be able to forgive myself. I can't just sit back and watch this world go to shit, you know?” 1 likes