Start by marking “The Tower of Fools” as Want to Read:
The Tower of Fools

The Tower of Fools

(Hussite Trilogy #1)

From the New York Times bestselling author of the legendary Witcher series--the books that inspired the Netflix show and the hit video games--come the first in an epic new trilogy set during the vibrantly depicted Hussite wars.
When a thoughtless indiscretion finds Reinmar of Bielau caught in the crosshairs of powerful noble family, he is forced to flee his home.
But once
Expected publication: October 27th 2020 by Orbit (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tower of Fools, please sign up.
Entropia Supposedly in May 2020 there will be English edition.…moreSupposedly in May 2020 there will be English edition. (less)

Start your review of The Tower of Fools
Beata
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Not that much fantasy this time from Andrzej Sapkowski but quite a generous portion of solid historical background with regard the Hussite. Enjoyed reading Books 1, 2 and 3 immensely and even toured Silesia, Poland and the Czech Republic to visit most of the places mentioned in the books. A great lesson of history together with smashing storytelling by AS.
Celise
Oct 18, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
During my read of the The Witcher saga, I've had many people tell me (in sadness on my behalf, it seems) that I'll never be able to read Sapkowski's greatest work, The Hussite trilogy, being an English speaker and all. Looks like my wish has come true, and soon enough I'll be able to read it! 2020 isn't that far away.

So many people have told me this is better than his Witcher books. That, I can't wait to see.
Edy || Hex
I love when books become an adventure. It doesn't have to happen much in said book, but the way it is told, the way how characters act - it just flows for you. This book is much much more mature than The Witcher and I dare to say - better to read. And even if I quite disliked the main character for most of the book - for various reasons I will not list here - it was all just on point. What can I tell, I have such a soft heart for books which somehow touch historical events and lands I love. 5/5. ...more
Moominboy
A trilogy set in 15th century Schliessen (Polish Slask). Massive battles mix with small amounts of old folk magic and an elaborate conspiracy plotline. The author must have done an incredible amount of research to create such a realistic 15th century setting. Fascinating and a treat for history buffs. Hopefully it will appear in English soon.
Konstanze
I rarely read fantasy or history; my best friend calls me "picky". Consequently I wouldn't have picked up this book if I didn't have some sympathy towards the author thanks to his Witcher series. The book didn't disappoint, but then again the 15th century would make it hard on anyone to be depicted in a boring way.

Plotwise, the books very repetitive: They get themselves into a mess (most likely due to the monumental stupidity of Reynevan, the main character), they get rescued, they get
Liviu
Very good alt-history of the Hussite times with magic. The atmosphere is done very well and the main characters are interesting. The ending is at a good point and I am definitely interested in the sequel. Hopefully there will be an English language edition too.
Grima
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to give this saga a go, coming from the Witcher's, which I absolutely loved.

I enjoyed this first book, but I didn't love it. I'm giving it 3 stars because, overall, the storyline isn't as great as almost every single one outlined in each book of the Geralt of Rivia's saga. AND, because it has one of the most annoying and idiotic characters that I've came across as the protagonist. The main reason I write this review is to vent about that, honestly.

So, if you're not really into
Cornelia
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sapkowski is great in describing the huge world and its issues in the small world of Silesia and its neighbours during the time of the Hussite Wars. He shows the bigotry of bishops, inquisition and nobles, the functionality of late medieval/early modern age society very well and last not least the development of Reinmar from Bielau, a young physician and alchimist. He adds some magic which has its sources in well-documented protocols of witch and other inquisitionary trials.
Anton Suslik
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book. Although I was slow to finish this book, due to, I believe, some longer passages about many specific historical events/people.
It was however, on the whole, a better experience than the Witcher series (apart from the first 2 short novel books). And that is saying something.
If you do get past these parts, it is a fun ride through this late medieval Polish world.
So much so, that I thought the book's title referred to the main character's seemingly never-ending romantic escapades,
David Klemm
Kasia
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodies, fantasy
Brilliant and witty with red-blooded characters trying to survive in 15th century Silesia, torn between catholics, hussites and deamons (and from this lot deamons seems to be the least dangerous!). Looking forward to read second part.
Piotr Szymański
An interesting read. At first it looks more than average, yet not as engaging as The Witcher. Definately worth reading, although one can feel as if the author is boasting with the research of the medieval times, which he did for the book.

Then a week or two later - you just miss the book.
Anna
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life is hard when you're a medic and beginner magician in the middle at 1420s. Good adventure story.
Smi
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook - full dubbing. Very interesting action.
Michal
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The times the Hussite wars.Wonderfully written book,in which the author interweaves historical threads embroider them by fictitious strands.
Vojtěch Rabyniuk
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well to take it in short finaly after short stories about Wiedzmin something that is not so horrible boring as all Wiedzmin Saga. He deserves all4 stars for it.
GiM
Sep 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
I only listened to it, and probably because of it note is higher than it would be otherwise. Audiobook is really AWESOME.
I liked the setting and history references, not much besides that.
Marcin
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First & the best part of the Trilogy. Read in one go. It is worth learning Polish just for this book! ;)
Dee
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To put things in the right order, I`ve read some Witcher books when I was like 11, years and years ago. I managed to get through the Hussite Trilogy in the past year and a half - I don`t have that much time to read anymore and I blame a bit this heavy style of writing, which makes it quite difficult to read if you can`t focus enough (and it gets a bit tiring since much of the plot twists is the main hero running away and getting caught again).
I don`t have a problem with Latin but this was
Angel 一匹狼
This book could be great if it wasn't for the fact that almost two thirds of it are about Sapkowski and his characters leering over women.

Because the other third is really entertaining and fun, the adventures of Reynevan, who has to run away after being found with a married woman and whose life gets entangled with religion, dark magic, wars and politics. After finding himself on the run early on in the book, Reynevan gets to meet with all kinds of different and interesting characters, and is in
Gwynbleidd
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this one. Yeah, there is no Geralt, but all other pieces that make Witcher books great are here. To name just a few: medieval settings, witty humor, pace transitions from movie-like action to slow and thorough philosophical discussions, magic and authors own specialty, precise dissection of human nature. I simply can not wait for the second book. And, naturally, this short review is most certainly not done sine ira et studio.
Piotr
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very surprising read! I must congeatulate Sapkowski for bringing in medival into life in such a vivid way. Book is written in a way, that made me feel like I really was there. For that - great read. Not even mentioning the plot, which to me was a surprise, nice surprise. Recommend!
Martin Hrabal
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grabbed it after long years and again had great fun. I love Sapkowskis swift style, his funny descriptions, escapades and dialogues. Although, Reynevan is mere young sucker and his friends must take care of him, his story is one of my favorites. ...more
Vitaly
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book, read it if you loved the Witcher. This one is a bit more comic.
Joanna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but difficult to read - too many characterss and things happening.
Pawel
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall: it is a grand adventure set in historical times and written by Andrzej Sapkowski (Witcher). 15 years after Battle of Tannenberg (Bitwa pod Grundwaldem) Silezia (Śląsk) is torn apart by religious conspiracies and magical dark plots. Men are fighting, merchants are dying, witches are having orgies and young Reinmar von Bielau - medic and former student - starts his great escape after one unlucky night with a Knight's wife.

Characters: main character is an irritating and very stereotypical
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
Unlike the Witcher books, this one did not blow me away.

"Narrentrum" tries to act much more like a traditional historical novel. It's set in Silesia-a patch of disputed land between Germany and Poland, bordering the rebellious Czech lands, where the Hussite heresy is in full swing.

The book follows Reynevan--a hapless young Silesian noble, a graduate of Prague University, who was trained in some basic sorcery. He's also young, stupid, and mostly thinks with his "lower brain", so to speak--this
Mati
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reinmar von Bielau was troubled young man who was stuck deep in the cesspool, which could be offered by early 15th century. The hussitism swept trough the central Europe and had devastating effect on the culture and pushed Czech and Moravian backwards. However even in such brutal war time was something which pushed the catholic church to the corner and ....well this review of the book not talk about the socio-economical influence of the Hussites war. Reinmar was looser with child naivety who was ...more
Eidam289
After reading all the book from witcher series and Hussite trilogy, I have to say that in many ways this books are very similar. They are both defending the same ideas and they are puttnig in damn the war and enthnical differences what is still an actual topic.
The biggest difference between series is the main male and female protagonist and their relationship. I just think that Reinmar had better chemistry with almost all the rest of female protagonist than with "Kataryna Bilberstein" so their
Christel
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historic fiction written in the worldview of the 15th century!

The pre-reformation historic events described in the book are researched extensively, and the story is well developed and entertaining even though it starts a bit slow. Symbolism is used extensively and well placed. The book can be enjoyed and understood at different levels. A certain degree of background in the classics, and history of medieval writings/philosophies will deepen the understanding of the political background that is

• Achaja. Tom I (Achaja, #1)
  • Achaja. Tom II (Achaja, #2)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 1 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #1)
  • Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza (Kroniki Jakuba Wędrowycza, #1)
  • Limes inferior
  • Paradyzja
  • Lód
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #2)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #3)
  • Achaja. Tom III (Achaja, #3)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 4 (Pan Lodowego Ogrodu, #4)
  • Opowieści z meekhańskiego pogranicza. Północ - Południe
  • Perfekcyjna niedoskonałość
  • Cylinder van Troffa
  • Lud. Z grenlandzkiej wyspy
  • Król Bólu
  • Hel³
  • Światy równoległe. Czego uczą nas płaskoziemcy, homeopaci i różdżkarze
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

Hussite Trilogy (3 books)
  • Boży bojownicy (Trylogia husycka, #2)
  • Lux perpetua (Trylogia husycka, #3)