Start by marking “The Quest of the Missing Map (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #19)” as Want to Read:
The Quest of the Missing Map (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #19)

The Quest of the Missing Map (Nancy Drew #19)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  3,982 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
The nineteenth book in the Nancy Drew series. It was originally released in 1942. This facsimile of its original edition continues the series of Applewood editions.
Published November 5th 2004 by Applewood Books (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about The Quest of the Missing Map, please sign up.

Apex157x It doesn't actually open anything it just adds it to your want to read list

Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well, I've read 19 of the Nancy Drew books - in order. It's interesting to see the progression from the 1930s and now into the 40s. I am beginning to pick out which Carolyn Keene was writing. I believe this was a new person writing. Although I did a bit of research and Mildred Wirth is credited for writing this one too. Her style definitely changed. Nancy is no longer a titan haired girl, but a strawberry blonde. Finally, she's in school. It really bothered me that Nancy and her girlfriends didn ...more
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been reading the Nancy Drew stories ever since I was 11 or 12 years old (I am all grown up now). I have also been collecting the original 56 in the hard yellow-and-blue covers and I have about forty of them now. "Quest of the Missing Map" is one of my latest acquisitions.
It is easy to tell that all the stories have been written in the pre-WWII period. This is especially evident in the image and treatment of women, even the main characters. For example, the first time George and Bess and i
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another excellent addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Whaddayaknow, Nancy is a skilled sketch artist! And she has to make replicas of an old treasure map, with phony intel to throw off the thieves who are trying to steal the map.

This one uses the "escape the kidnappers at a red light" trope that I've seen three times in the recent past. Nancy is kidnapped TWICE in this book (by the same couple, even, in one case using the tried-and-true Little Red Riding Hood ruse) and someone else actually tries to kill her.

But you can't blame her for these mishap
Placeholder for reread of Nalini Singh's Archangel's Legion
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
An unmemorable read. Some fragments: A creepy weirdo lurking behind secret panels. A brat who turns out to not be so bratty after all. Nancy being such a perfect artist she can do immaculate police sketchings now. Nancy getting kidnapped for the 3127532903540936th time to the point where she's not even fazed and actually rejoins her friends, laughing, "What'd I miss?" or something. A map torn in two, separating twin brothers. Buried treasure on an island. Nancy is nearly murdered when she's thro ...more
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Quest of the Missing Map is a pretty good book. Compared to the rest of the Nancy Drew series (that I have read) this one is one of my favourites, in my opinion. It has a consistant plot and has twists in the story that will make you jump out of your chair. Even though this book is quite old and some of the words the author uses we don't use in modern day english it is still funny and suspensful. Nancy and her friends get themselves into some pretty bad situations (no spoilers!). the story i ...more
Gabrielle Calvillo
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I've been reading Nancy Drew books since I was a kid. While the plots are never mind-blowing or deep Nancy Drew always feel very nostalgic to me. Most of these books were written pre-WWII so you have to take that into consideration. If you are into that then you will probably enjoy them but if you don't already have a history with Nancy then these books may not be for you.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this Nancy Drew mystery, Nancy and her friends are after the other half of a map to a treasure island in the South Atlantic. On the same trail are a bunch of thieves who will stop at nothing to claim the treasure as their own. Exciting mystery.
This was another Nancy Drew mystery that was not familiar to me when I began reading it. She sure had her hands full with this one, ha ha.
Alex Baugh
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
What did girls read during WWII when they wanted to get away from the war? Well, one of the things they liked to read were the same books that Laura Bush, Hilary Rodham Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Sonia Sotomayor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Gayle King, Diane Sawyer, Nancy Pelosi, as well as Congresswoman Pat Schroeder, filmmaker Pamela Beere Briggs, SEC Chairwoman Mary Jo White, and Federal Judge Roslynn R. Mauskopf, American Girl Molly McIntire and I read, and maybe you did, too.

What am I talking about?
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
"The Drew Girl" goes all pirate. Taking on a nautical theme, to a degree, ghost-writer Carolyn Keene has the titular character pursue that most basic of literary goals - secret, buried treasure. A whole bunch of folks come along for the ride raising the question of whether any found treasure will allow the sea widow financing the trip will get her money back on the yacht she chartered, crew she hired and all of Nancy's cronies she had to house and feed for two weeks. What, exactly, did anyone su ...more
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Quest of the Missing Map is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 19th book in the Nancy Drew series.

In this intriguing adventure, Nancy is determined to find Mr. Smith's long-lost twin brother who has the part of the map that may lead all of them to a buried treasure.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls o
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew is my all time favorite detective book character, and one of my all time favorite book characters of all time. Nancy Drew is a classic in my family. My family and I read them together so often. I often watch the black and white movies, and watch the 1970s TV show, but reading the original books by Carolyn Keene is fun for all the family. When my mom reads aloud, she sometimes adds some funny sentences, not silly non-sense sentences, but she adds something that seems like something th ...more
Esha Bakht
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
best detective novel.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 1942 version of the book. This is another in the 'Nancy helps find missing money' plot books. In this case, a treasure map has been torn in two and one part is missing. There is one woman who is sort of gung-ho about finding it, another woman and her daughter who can benefit by it's being found, and, of course, the typical villains, in this case three of them.

As usual, Nancy is almost run off the road, is kidnapped, is in danger, etc. It's pretty much the standard fare, with the cro
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
I haven't been feeling too great, so it's time to re-read some Nancy Drews! These simplistic books always bring a smile to my face - occasionally that's because I'm laughing at them, but I'll take it.

It was nice to see Nancy in art school! Finally, she is doing something with her time between mysteries, instead of just waiting around for Ned to graduate college and marry her. (It never actually says that, but that jives with the time period so that's what I think). Of course, I have a feeling w
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Another light Nancy Drew mystery. Lots of kidnapping in this one and Ned rescues Nancy more than once. Ned's playing a bigger role in these later mysteries. The excitement of a buried treasure on a remote island is what kids probably like about this one. Nancy makes one pretty big mistake in this novel, which is out of character. Normally, she is a bit more astute than to walk into a very obvious trap. Still, it gave Ned a chance to shine and some light romance to occur. Bess also gets rescued b ...more
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Since it is summer, I've been thinking back on my childhood and the many hours on a hot day that I spent reading! My favorite series that you can easily get lost in are the Nancy Drew books - especially the original ones. My mom put me onto them! I love them now because I can sit down in the afternoon and read a whole book! It's a great escape! Our library has quite a few so I plan on reading as many as I can!
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I bought a vintage copy because this is the first Nancy Drew I ever read as a girl. I really enjoyed the original version of the story. The original Nancy was more clever and brave and less concerned with her appearance. I love that she is willing to tackle a prowler to keep him from getting away. The writing is also much better and makes up for the lack of illustrations. I'd love to read more of these.
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
I really liked this Nancy Drew mystery; I liked it much better than the last one I read. It was written better, it had a more intriguing storyline, and it was just better overall. The only thing that goes a little bit against the ND mystery series is that Nancy is eighteen, but she acts older. Right now I'm eighteen, and I find it hard to see Nancy as an eighteen-year-old. She acts more like she's twenty. But that's my only complaint. Finishing this series is bringing back memories.
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This was the second of the Nancy Drew classics that I purchased after reading VORACIOUS [author Nicoletti]. It was published in 1942, and once again, displays some major changes in our lifestyle and criminal justice system and attitudes towards females. A good read for young girls, fast and interesting. Not difficult.
Lizeth Navarro
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books
I think that this book is very thrilling and exiting. If you like mysterious stories that leads to twists this is the book. This book grabs all your attention and leaves you wanting more. Nancy Drew is a girl who goes around solving mysteries and this book goes around and around. I would definitely read this again
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew-read
Nancy Drew is on the case! Ellen Smith's father has half of a map that is supposed to lead to a family treasure, his long lost twin brother was left the other half of the map. Can Nancy locate the missing piece while outwitting ruthless treasure hunters so that the treasure can be found before it falls into the hands of criminals?
Sep 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Nancy once again gets herself involved in a crazy mystery that has a treasure hunt involved, a torn map, kidnapping, a ghost, and a tiny ship with some big questions. I love re-reading these stories! It reminds me why I loved them as a girl and why they still thrill young readers today. Although this wasn't one of my favorites, I love all the trouble she gets into!
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A lovely story with some exciting bits, and for me a few sad parts. I found the character of Mrs Chatham odd and un-enchanting while the little girl got on my nerves with all her fluffing around.

Nevertheless Nancy made the whole mystery very enjoyable for me and I am finding that on the whole the entire mystery series is a real treat throughout my summer.
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Waaaaaaaaay too many coincidences BUT still enjoyable. And it was a bit different from the previous book which was nice because, god, they get repetitive. It's amazing how the quality of writing varies between the books; some of the ghost writers are a lot more talented than others.
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
lots of mystery surrounding a long lost, seafaring captain's treasure map. piece the pieces together and nancy and her entourage are ready to roll. feisty villains' evil shenanigans stir up plenty of trouble.
  • The Secret of Wildcat Swamp (The Hardy Boys, #31)
  • The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Blindsighted
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99