Jump to ratings and reviews
“We are probably going to die today,” said John.
“I’m aware,” Robin replied. “But then again, we’re constantly going to die.”
“So what you’re saying is,” Alis hissed behind them, “that you’re used to being about to die.”

Meet Robin Hood's band of outlaws.
Robin Hood, the robber prince.
Benedict Tucker, the warrior monk.
Will Scarlet, the beautiful, damaged poet.
Lady Alis, the queen of the forest.
John Lyttle, the friend, the giant, the lieutenant.
And Marian, the princess they failed to protect.

They all used to be royalty: princes, lords, ladies. Now they are outlaws, hiding in the green forest, fighting for their lives. At least half the time. The rest of the time they are dying.

Before he was Robin Hood, he was a prince.
But how did he become the legend? All stories must start somewhere.
This story starts with Christmas, a lost love, a hungry town and a robbery.

Robin Loxley is a tortured young man mourning the loss of his title, his lands and his first love.

But tonight, with the help of his close friends, he will get a new name that will live in history, a cat that could care less that Robin happens to be the most brilliant archer in medieval England, and a chance to prove himself by rescuing a lady from a fire.

But this is no ordinary lady...
And that is no ordinary fire...

We are at the beginning. The legend is just starting.

Kindle Edition

Published January 7, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

M.C. Frank

29 books485 followers
Welcome to the world of M.C. FRANK's books, where characters aren't going to have an easy time of it: They will find themselves in icy-cold dystopian worlds where kissing is forbidden (among other things), or in green forests ruled by evil Sheriffs. If they're in Jane Austen's England, they have to be running away from a traumatic childhood, or if they are in our contemporary world, they're scared they'll die before they have finished high school. That sort of thing.
Don't worry, though, she knows we all need a little hope and joy in our lives, so there's a good dose of those as well in everything she writes.
M.C. Frank (writer, reader, designer, physicist and teacher, to name a few) has been living in a world of stories ever since she can remember (that's before she knew how to write). She started writing them down when she could no longer stand the characters in her head screaming at her to give them life, and while those first scribblings weren't exactly good (nor were they books, although she insisted on calling them that), they were enough for her to discover her passion in life.
She got her university degree in physics a few years ago (yes, she's like Sheldon, only a bit crazier!) and is now free to pursue her love of reading and writing, as well her free-lance job as editor-in-chief. She lives with her 'dude' in a home filled with candles, laptops and notebooks, where she rearranges her overflowing bookshelves every time she feels stressed.
Which is often, since (as you might have noticed) she doesn't pick the easiest subjects for her novels.
Learn more about her and her New Adult, Young Adult, scifi, Greek mythology and historical novels at mcfrankauthor.com

Website: mcfrankauthor.com

Youtube: M.C. Frank

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (5%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 39 reviews
Profile Image for David Feliciano Echevarria.
76 reviews4 followers
March 26, 2020
**I’m most grateful for the pleasure and opportunity given to me by M.C. Frank by letting me read an advanced copy of HOOD**

I am grateful to meet the merry men and Robin of Loxley in this new light. Though he is often placed as the King of Thieves, we see here another aspect of his life. We see Robin as a he truly is and not as he is depicted in the lore as some god-like hero; it was riveting. Nothing better than harmonizing and identifying yourself with a character, and who’d be better to feel that with than with Robin Hood!

In this Novella, we receive answers for questions we never thought about but certainly needed answered. We see his human side, his thoughts, his preoccupations, we see a Robin we could identify with. This retelling of classical lore makes us wonder if we knew the right story all along, and it most certainly makes us want to devour every piece of work made by this author!

I have to say goodbye now, for I MUST GET A COPY OF THE NEXT BOOK!

Enjoy this as much as I did.

Lol,
for lots of love.

Don’t forget to like and subscribe to my blog:

Profile Image for Gypsy Madden.
Author 2 books26 followers
December 6, 2020
Novella-length

This was basically just Robin and his men doing what they always do: robbing from the king’s carriages and from the castle and giving it back to the people and the usual hanging out with the men in the forest camp. Where this story shone was the flashbacks with Robin and the girl who helped him. You could feel the emotion as he was giving up with being broken and starving in the dungeon, and the light of her helping him. And the loss of her not being with him now. I was bored with the camaraderie around the campfire, and the usual same old robbing and fighting. The men functioned mainly as a group rather than differentiating from each other and didn’t really expand on their pasts other than a couple of mentions here and there, including Alis who was definitely not in the original tales. I was perplexed as to why he suddenly had a woman in their midst (though I guess she’s sort of a spin on the Alan a Dale tale, that rather than Alan, we have the girl he was trying to rescue from a bad marriage), but yet she didn’t do anything to stand out from the other men. The only reason I could think of her being there was to make the story sound a bit more PC and less male-dominated. The blurb lies a bit. Robin is not a prince. He’s the son of an earl, and technically a baron. I also never got the idea that Will was a poet. The only thing this really introduced was inventing their nicknames. Overall, it didn’t really sell me on the series, but it did pique my interest on Robin and Marian’s relationship. And I never really understood the random cat that popped up a couple of times, presumably for comedy relief.
Profile Image for Darque  Dreamer .
360 reviews47 followers
February 3, 2020
Sometimes novellas can be hit or miss.. They either add just enough to the already existing story without feeling like they should have been another full length book, or they are just another extra few pages to read that feel like they could have been left out. Hood is one of those novellas that adds an extra layer to the tale and feels like it holds its own place in the series.

I absolutely adored this novella! It gave me further insight to our favorite outlaws without adding extra weight to the tale. It kept true to the feeling of Everything I Do (book 1) but also weaved its own magic. It was a glorious morsel that I am glad I wasn't missing. M.C. Frank truly puts her heart and soul in to everything she writes, and her novellas hold true to this fact.
Author 8 books9 followers
November 11, 2020
This is a prequel story to Frank’s Robin Hood series.

“Hood” tells the story of how Robin Hood got his nickname and is set in the early days of our heroes’ outlaw life. This outlaw band has Robin, Little John, Will Scarlet, Friar Tuck, and a young woman called Alis. We get a few clues about how Alis and Robin met. Everyone in the group seems to be born nobility but are now outlaws. Robin himself is the son of the late Earl of Loxley. Even though he’s still insecure about this ability to lead, the others willingly follow him.

This Robin has a dark past and is torment by it. He was jailed and tortured by the sheriff. A young woman whom Robin calls Rosa helped him in the dungeons, but she was killed because of it. Her death haunts Robin more than the torture and he has flash backs to it. The others also seemed to have dark pasts.

The story starts in Sherwood on Christmas Eve. Robin and his band haven’t eaten in two days. They ambush Sir Guy of Gisborne who is collecting taxes – and food from the mouths of peasant children.

This was a fast-paced and enjoyable read, if quite dark. I really enjoyed the close-knit family feel of the band.
Profile Image for Jonathan  G Valentin.
69 reviews4 followers
March 24, 2020
I’d like to start out by thanking the author, M.C. Frank, for providing me an advanced copy of this exhilarating novel.

When we think of Robin Hood, our mind goes directly to the same classic telling of the hero who steals from the rich and gives to the poor. But in reality, who is Robin Hood? How did his name come about? Who are his merry men? Well, in this retelling novella we get a different outlook on who Robin truly is. We see a brave young man, his band of friends, times of sadness, bouts of depression, and believe it or not, we see the mental grievances present in our hero. I was not expecting this to be such an exciting ride, but I enjoyed every second of it. I went into it expecting the aforementioned classic tale, yet he experiences loss, grief, anger, some resentment, friendship and finally, acceptance. If this was just a novella I can’t wait to read the rest of the series. Such a great read!
Profile Image for Debbie Eyre.
3,637 reviews58 followers
March 5, 2020
This is a great novella to a retelling of a story I’m sure you have heard many different versions of over the years. Meet Robin Hood and his band of merry men in this thrilling adventure as you follow the author in their interpretation which is gripping and emotional! I have yet to read the other books but I can’t wait!
Profile Image for Alina.
364 reviews66 followers
January 7, 2020
Have you ever wondered where the alias Robin Hood came from? M.C. Frank has the answer for you, in her ‘Hood’ novella, which belongs to The Outlaws series. The first installment - ‘Everything I Do’, breathed new life into the character of the famous thief and his merry companion, and in ‘Hood’ we get the chance to get to know them a little better.

This novella takes place a few months before the events in EID, but I think it’s better to read it after, when you’re already familiar with Frank’s versions of those beloved characters. For me it provided a better, deeper experience.

In ‘Hood’ we get to spend one day with Robin and his friends - no ordinary day, but a Christmas Eve. They go on a quest to do what they’re famous for - to help the poor, but the day turns out to be far more eventful than they expected, reminding Robin of painful events from his past.

Once again I was enchanted by Frank’s beautiful writing, perfectly adjusted to the time period she’s set her story in. But what I loved the most were the interactions between the Robin’s companion - they’re so close they seem to read each other’s minds, and together they work as one body, each part of which has its own role. Their situation is far from perfect, but still they like to laugh and tease each other, like a true family.

Another part I loved was Robin’s memories about a girl he loved. They're painful, but so beautiful and pure! Whenever M.C. Frank writes a romantic scene, I swoon and my eyes get teary from all the feels! As a believer, I also noticed a few gems in this story that warmed my heart.

'Hood' is a fast-paced, adventure-packed novella about friendship, fighting injustice, lost love, and about a legend being born. Robin Hood truly is a prince of thieves - he managed to steal my heart twice!
Profile Image for Ashley Lewis.
190 reviews116 followers
October 2, 2021
⚫ Firstly, I would like to thank the author with providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for review. This does not affect my opinions
⚫ Since this was a relatively short novella, there isn't much for me to say other than I really enjoyed it😍
⚫ I got a little bit of an SOC vibe from this
⚫ I loved the little bit of banter between the characters 😂
⚫Perfect for fans of: Origin stories, ACOTAR, Six of Crows, group of boys who keep almost dying, enemies to lovers, assassin in love with victim, girl disguised as boy (and sick of aforementioned boys), underdogs to heroes, girl power and girl assassins, slowburn/angsty romance, cats, Christmas, fairytale retellings, torutred protagonist, Robin Hood (before the “Hood”)

TW: ptsd (very light), nightmares, hunger/starvation, fire, friends punching you playfully
Profile Image for S.E. Anderson.
Author 24 books128 followers
January 7, 2020
Taking place on Christmas (perfect timing!), not too long before the events of Everything I Do, we get the inside scoop on how the little band of Outlaws made a name for themselves. And speaking of names - why is he called 'Robin Hood', by the way? This is wonderful insight for those who have already started the Outlaws series, but also makes a great invistation into the series for those who are only just now discovering it. And clocking in at 90 pages, this isn't a short novella!

Unlike in Everything I Do, the perspective of Hood belongs solely to Robin himself. I felt a tonal shift compared to the novel: much more introspective, like when the author wrote her No Ordinary Star series. Absolutely beautiful. We follow Robin as he tries to find his new place in the world, after escaping the prison with his friends: trying to do what's right, save the people of Nottingham from a terrible villain, keep them from starving on christmas day... while at the same time, trying to save himself. The trauma of his time in the prisons, starving to death, and the loss of his love. As a result, the author weaves high tension moments with quiet scenes that pack an emotional punch.

It's definitely a loving introduction to the band of merry men, whether you have read the first book or not. It feels essential to the series like it could have been in an extended version of Everything I Do. There's no more loving squad than Alis, Little, Tuck, John, and Robin. If you love Good vs Evil type stories, classics brought back with depth, and of course, a great dose of adventure, then you need this book!
Profile Image for Chelsea Girard.
Author 9 books25 followers
January 4, 2020

“I don’t plan on bringing anyone else in our midst. Or trusting anyone beyond you four idiots. You are my family.”
Xx
Hood: An Outlaws novella
M.C.Frank takes a different approach to her latest Novella, Hood as Alis, Robin, Little, Tuck and John, is like watching a bounty of true outlaws make a name for themselves. I say this is a different approach by Frank as I could feel the victorian feel throughout her novel which really set my mind into the perfect era for this novella. Frank carefully leaves the reader wanting more but gives them everything they could ask for in return. Hood is the perfect outlaw to try and help the poor all while trying to save himself in the process.
xx
M.C. Frank writes a thrilling adventure as you feel empowered to take on some guards and maybe even harass a sheriff or two after reading this gripping novella. I sure did! I loved witnessing Robin tell his story as you find out more about his background and how he became an outlaw. I felt as though if you are to get into the series, you should read this novella before you dive into Everything I Do as it will give you more insight and knowledge to the events,Robin and his team throughout the rest of the series.
xx
I would recommend this novella to those who love an adventure fit for kings or outlaws for this story! M.C.Frank definitely hit the nail right on the head for this one and I can’t wait to read more from this prolific author!
Profile Image for Martha.
788 reviews44 followers
April 12, 2020
This retelling of the beginning of the legend of Robin Hood moves quickly and is engaging. My rating 4.25.

Robin is now an outlaw with a small group of followers: John, the big warrior, Tuck, the excommunicated monk, Will, the brother of his heart, and Alis, the lady who learned to fight to survive. The group has rallied around Robin even though he is still trying to figure out how to lead and what to do. His friends have aliases to protect their true identities when in the villages. Now they are toying with giving Robin his own alias.

Each of the characters apparently has a sad history that has landed them together. This novella focuses on Robin’s history through flash-backs to some of the heart-breaking traumas in his past. This occurs while the group faces a bleak Christmas Eve. They are aware that the Sheriff’s men have raided the surrounding villages taking a toll in not only taxes but holiday feasts. Are Robin and his friends willing to risk their lives to retake the bounty and return it to the people?

I enjoy retellings and found this to be a quick, engaging read. I enjoyed the extra development of the characters as well as the action scenes. While staying consistent with the legend that we know, the author provides intrigue and humor in arriving at the famous name. I recommend this to readers who enjoy retellings.

Source: Author pdf March 2020.
Profile Image for Ellie.
52 reviews2 followers
January 6, 2020
Wow-what a fantastic read!

This little novella is set shortly before the events happening in Everything I Do and is just as beautifully written.

If you loved Robin Hood's story already or after reading Everything I do, then you should definitely pick this one up too. It gives you even more insight into Robbie's head and some super interesting background information. Apart from being fun, heartwrenching, dark and intriguing.

Filled with adventure, romance, the darkness of the middle ages, torture, trauma and the daily fight for survival and justice, this tale takes you on journey to an era that was spiked with a lot of bad stuff going on while also delivering a lot of comic relief and silver linings. I loved every single word!

Now I`m even more thrilled to finally get my hands on the sequel as soon as it is released!

Profile Image for Aisha Reads.
8 reviews
February 18, 2020
I was very excited to have received the opportunity to read Hood: An Outlaws Novella by M.C. Frank because I absolutely loved Everything I Do. Btw, aren’t the titles great?

Although Hood is around 71 pages, it’s packed full of adventure, memories, and "the feels." M.C. Frank also presents a deeper understanding of the characters introduced in Everything I Do. The story is very immersive--I felt as if I was a part of the Outlaws on their latest adventure.

What I loved most about Hood (and something that M.C. Frank brings to all of her stories) was the sense of realism. Although these are characters within a story, I feel like they can be real people. It is amazing how easily I can connect with each of them in a different way.

I have preordered Every Wrong Right, the next installment in the Outlaws series! I cannot wait until April.
210 reviews
May 8, 2020
With an exciting twist to the traditional Robin Hood fairy-tale, M.C. Frank starts off the story with some melodramatic humor, "So what you’re saying is,” Alis hissed behind them, “that you’re used to being about to die.” “More or less,” Will Scarlet replied, rare laughter in his voice. “The excitement is gone.” before the tone is changed to one of resolve and heroism as the ragtag team of outlaws goes to rob the rich and feed the poor.

This story takes the tale of Robin Hood and provides depth and meaning for the history of the small group of Robin Hood's Merry Men. With Robin who fights the good fight in ways beyond money, a group of friends whose bonds go deeper than blood, and a community whose hearts are battered by the corrupt royals who lord over them this story takes all of the elements of the original and provides meaning in a novella- quite an impressive feat.
Profile Image for Jan.
44 reviews
February 1, 2020
I received a copy from the author which I voluntarily read and reviewed. All opinions are my own. Thank you so much to M.C. Frank for providing this copy.

It has been a while since I read a retelling of Robin Hood, and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Hood is just a novella, so it does not go into great detail but gives some important background on the main characters. This is definitely a fast-paced read that you can devour in one sitting! The adventure was there from the start, so I was hooked from the beginning. I also like that even though the story was short, I came away with a good sense of the characters and their personalities. Hood is definitely a good start-up to the series, and it left you wanting more. 4.5 stars out of 5!
78 reviews4 followers
January 22, 2020
Hood is an Outlaw novella written by M.C. Frank, as a homage to the English folklore’s legendary heroic outlaw, Robin Hood. Robin Hood is Robin Loxley, a young orphan mourning the loss of his father, title and land. Robin leads a gang of fellow orphans, whose loyalty to one another is overwhelming as they embark on several dangerous adventures. Robin and his “merry men” soon learn about the King collecting taxes and food from the poor on Christmas Day. Disguised by the King’s greed, Robin and his gang are determined to return the money and food to the poor; however, this adventure will forever change Robin.
Profile Image for Christina  G..
267 reviews4 followers
December 26, 2019
This novella was an enjoyable addition to the Outlaws series. This story takes a look at the origin of Robin Hood’s name which was interesting to read about. It also gives you some additional insights to Robin’s background and his state of mind before the first book in the series begins. I enjoyed Everything I Do so it for me any additional information about the characters was great.

The only drawback for this is that it makes me want to read more of this series and I don’t want to wait to continue reading more about the Outlaws adventures.
547 reviews9 followers
January 19, 2020
Hood is a fast paced novella that introduces the reader to Robin Hood and his band of merry men. It’s a quick an easy read, but very entertaining! We are dropped right into the action as Robin and his team prepare to take back money the sheriff of Nottingham has taxed the peasants to pay for his Christmas feast. Hood gives us insight into the backstories of the characters, especially Robin. It’s the prequel to the Outlaw series, and definitely makes me want to read Everything I Do (the first in the series).

I received an ARC from the author and I’m voluntarily leaving an honest review.
Profile Image for Fiona Andrew.
767 reviews12 followers
March 5, 2020
How did Robin Hood get his name? The tale gives us an insight into the authors interpretation of what makes a name. Robin is at the beginning of his career not sure of what he wants to do or even sometimes how do it. He wants to save the poor but is not always able. He robs the tax collector on Christmas Eve then gives back the money to those it was taken from. His deeds are celebrated and Robin remembers events that came before and how his life has changed. A very reflective storyline well written and highly enjoyable. Highly recommended.
Profile Image for Joey Paul.
Author 20 books583 followers
January 17, 2020
I adore Frank's earlier works and I loved the first book in this series, so I had to pick this one up on pre-order and devoured it in one sitting. The memories that Robin has are so vividly painted in the words. The characters that you know and love are all there in their glory. Frank is an exceptional writer, and has a way of painting scenes and stories with a flourish of words. I very much enjoyed this book and am looking forward to more from this author. Highly recommended.
Profile Image for Candy Smith.
421 reviews36 followers
Read
January 19, 2020
I truly enjoyed Everything I Do and was super excited to read Hood,as it gives more details into the characters' background. It gives more about Robin himself, what her suffered,how his band of thieves came to be and bit of his namesake. It has all the emotional feels of a novel in a shorter story version. I can't wait to see where the author takes this series! I feel in love with Robin Hood as a teenager and eminencely enjoying this retelling!
2,261 reviews5 followers
May 1, 2020
The beginning of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. This is the story of how Robin Hood and His Merry Men got their start, their pseudonyms, and the tragedy leading up to them becoming outlaws. They have created their own little family and are doing whatever they can to fight the injustices of the sheriff and giving back to the people. But Robin also has to save the King. I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Profile Image for Ksandra.
535 reviews26 followers
May 1, 2020
5/5 Stars

This was a fantastic short story about everyone's favorite outlaw, Robin Hood.

I thought the origin story of his name was rather inspired. It was a cute little game between two of his men. But I also loved how we got to see grief and heartbreak as well as the lighthearted side.

I cannot wait to read more of the series!

Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author in order to give an honest review
Profile Image for Michelle.
7,467 reviews17 followers
May 7, 2020
This is a quick read and a great beginning to the Outlaw series. In this book we get introduced to the main characters and we learn so much about Robin and how he got his name. M.C. Frank packed a lot into this novella and created a fantastic world with amazing characters. I look forward to reading the rest of the Outlaw series and all about Robin and the outlaws adventures. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this novella.
Profile Image for Roger.
3,923 reviews12 followers
Read
October 14, 2020
Hood (Outlaws, #4), my fifth enjoyable read from author M.C. Frank. A short, well-written prequel with memorable characters. I was given a Kindle copy of Sleep Robin Hood (Outlaws #3) and upon discovering it was the third book in a series I went out & got the first two to read first and found this prequel as well. Now I'm voluntarily reading & reviewing it because every great book needs reviews. I look forward to reading more from this author. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
Profile Image for Elizabeth O'Carroll.
Author 8 books4 followers
October 31, 2020
What a delight it was to read this book! It was a refreshing take on the classic Robinhood! I really enjoyed the two battles that Robin faced throughout the storyline; Robins inner battle with himself and the mission to distribute the bounty! A truly engaging read that will effortlessly draw readers to want to know everything about Robin. I know I am on my way to read all of M.C. Frank’s fabulous novellas!
Profile Image for Tahnia Ross.
1,111 reviews4 followers
December 4, 2020
I loved this novelette. It reads just like I imagined it would be for Robin Hood's band of Merry Men. And I can actually picture him having a noblewoman as one of the "men", It's really hard to imagine that the so-called Tax Man would take the food that was earmarked for the Lord's day, let alone all the money. For what? Just so some rich guy can have more? Too bad something of the sort happens all too often today. Recommended for readers of all ages.
Profile Image for Diana Ellis.
109 reviews1 follower
June 3, 2020
Wonderful!

This novella in the Outlaws series is fantastic! It gives a wonderful backstory to Everything I Do. It truly makes you appreciate what Robin and his “merry men” had to go through to get to where they are in the other two books. This is a very well written and captivating series and I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Terry.
63 reviews
October 29, 2020
Well written with heartfelt descriptions of Robin's memories of torture and loss while trying to do good in the here and now. The characters are likeable and each have there own tale of woe, although all is not quite revealed. A game is played to give Robin his pseudonym and how they became his 'Merry Men'. A short introduction into what could become an epic tale of adventure for them all.
Profile Image for Barefoot Gypsy Jimerson.
486 reviews31 followers
January 14, 2020
Robin Hood has been named

This short story was nicely done. It has happiness,love ,hate an tears. You get a better feel at what Robin Hood an his marry men are all about. A Good Read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 39 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.