Start by marking “More Than Us” as Want to Read:
More Than Us

More Than Us

What will a single moment do to Lora's life? When on a chilling, winter evening she discovers Harper in a time of need. When the past decides to make a reappearance, what can you do? What happens when your childhood home is not yours anymore? The two worlds of Harper and Lora collide and an unconventional friendship forms. Together, they must learn to navigate their compli ...more
Published August 6th 2020 by Zenith Publishing

To ask other readers questions about More Than Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Us

Start your review of More Than Us
Devin
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I was given an e-ARC of this book in exchange for a voluntary review.

More Than Us is a contemporary novel that focuses around mental health. The novel follows Lora and Harper and both their mental health journeys but is told from Lora's perspective. A few trigger warnings about this novel, there are mentions of self-harm, suicide, PTSD, and anxiety. Additionally, there is also details of self-harm that might be triggering to some readers.

I appreciated Ryan's candid discussion of mental health
Lizz DiCesare
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I can’t remember the last time I read a book that made me cry as much as More Than Us by Ryan Jones did. This book deals with themes of suicide, mental health, and self-harm, so please be aware if you decide to add this title to your TBR list.

More Than Us follows the story of Lora, a 20 year old U of T student in the early 2000s, who saves Harper’s life after a suicide attempt. I promise this isn’t a spoiler, it’s literally what happens in the first chapter. From there, we see the two of them fo
Mallory
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, arcs
DNF @ 50%, Rating 2.5/5 stars.

TW: Suicide, Self Harm, Mental Illness, Grief

Some spoilers - so read with caution.

I will be rating this book despite DNF'ing it at 50%. There is a reason for my DNF and I'll explain my thoughts fully.

Almost 5 years ago I lost my grandfather to suicide, so due to my experience, I'm considered a suicide loss survivor. Similar to Lora. Before this experience, I openly read books with the situations surrounding mental illness and suicide and after this experience, I
Olivia Scott
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Zenith Publishing for sending me a review copy of More Than Us! This review is my honest opinion. :)

3.5 stars! ✨

I really enjoyed reading More Than Us! I appreciated that Jones explored a tough topic with her story. Her characters’ struggles felt real, but I loved that their personalities weren’t limited by their mental health, and that their passions and the other parts of their lives were explored throughout the story, too.

Some things I didn’t enjoy: the book overall felt
Brittney Kristina
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ryan’s writing is simply beautiful and flows with grace. I was completely immersed in this book the entire time, desperate to see how Harper and Lora’s relationship would unfold. My boyfriend and I met in college, and so I couldn’t help but smile, as I was reminded of those memories of us. Ryan did a great job at putting you in the mind of a college student, bringing me back to dorm life with ease.

Lora deals with her brother’s suicide, while Harper struggles with his own mental illness, and brin
Tammy (tales.of.tammy)
Thank you to Booksprout, Ryan Jones and GenZ Publishing for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I started this book I was immediately pulled in. The first half was raw, full of emotion, and had heart, hardship and truth. While Ryan didn’t go much into the process of being in a psych ward or discharge protocols, I think the author was focusing more on depression and the implications it can have on a persons life.

Unfortunately the second half fell flat for me. It fe
Lucien Welsh
Jul 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
Thank you to the publisher for sending me an ARC. I also want to note that personal connections with the author have not affected this review.

MORE THAN US is a story about suicide and mental health. While the author's talents do show in the quality of the writing, it is the content that causes issue. It reads very juvenile in regards to the portrayal of being committed to in-patient and the research of the rules and regulations of the mental health wards is strongly lacking. It honestly comes ac
Caitlin (bookwormcait_)
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
A big thank you to Zenith Publishing for providing me with a copy of the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

I gave myself a day to collect my thoughts and feelings about this book, but to be honest I’m still really in my feels about it. I fully connected to the story and the characters. I couldn’t stop reading even when it was so late into the night.

I’m typically a fantasy fan but this ya contemporary had me hooked. I instantly fell in love with the main characters Lora and Harper. Even th
Shazia Khan
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I believe books about mental health are so important and wished books like this existed when I was a teen. It was so beautifully written that I could feel my heart break with such powerful lines about loss, healing and grief. I was invested not only in Harper and Lora's relationship but their journey towards healing. There were times when I could feel the pain that the author painted with her words and that is such a powerful thing.

I'm a nurse and worked with many teenagers admitted for depressi
Ariel Hess
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an e-ARC of this book from Booksprout's in exchange for my honest review. The opinions in this review are solely my own and do not reflect the views of the author or publisher. Special thanks to Zenith Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book.

Trigger Warning: This book does contain details of suicide, depression, hospital, death, and therapy. Proceed with caution.

This book quite frankly ripped me to shreds as I dived into it page after page. It was a fairly quick read an
Re •
Aug 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the author/Booksprout for the ARC!
TW: self harm, depression, death.

3.5**

Gosh I am so honoured to have received an advanced copy of this book as we all got to see the slow loving process of Ryan’s journey to get here via her instagram.

As always I’m so awed by Ryan’s writing, it instantly sucks you in and you revel in it. I will say this book was pretty heavy and I was aware of this going into the story.

Admittedly this took me a little longer to get into, but when I did, it was for l
Ashleigh
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A quote from the novel that ressonated with me "People are more than their bad days." So much more, if you care about someone through their good days you should be there during those bad times, and know that the bad days do not define them.

If you are thinking about reading this one, and I think you should, please know that it deals with mental illness, self harm and suicide.

More Than Us by Ryan Jones was such a powerful, thought provoking, heart wrenching read, that focuses on friendship and lov
Amy Poirier
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Is this book perfect? No, but it's a perfect snapshot of life and all it's glorious imperfections. That's why I'm giving it 5 stars.

More Than Us is about the battles fought by those with mental illness and the people who love them. It's about acceptance and sacrifice and boundaries. It's about being there even when it's scary. Honestly, it's about real life. Who among us isn't struggling or living with someone who is?

Chapter one is where I got hooked. It knocked me off my feet. It slammed me emo
Asa Henson
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading More Than Us it immediately took root in my heart. I knew from the first few pages that it was going to be a story I loved, and one that I felt deeply in tune with. Ryan took a topic that many struggle to understand and even talk about, and she portrayed it beautifully but also honestly. More Than Us is more than captivating. It doesn’t hide from difficult situations and it showcases that we all have our own struggles going on. Even the happiest people aren’t always ...more
Christine Rees
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lisa
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lora, grieving over the suicide of her brother, connects with Harper, a young man she stumbles across (literally) when he tried to end his life. This NA novel touches on topics of depression, self harm, suicide, grief, guilt, and loss. Their relationship (both friendship and romance) was the most interesting one of the book and I would have enjoyed more of a focus on the two of them together. I think more time dedicated to their connection and challenges would have made the ending more
Emily Reilly
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was given a e-arc in exchange for an honest review. From the moment I picked this book up I couldn’t put it down. There was a connection immediately. It was raw and real about the hardships of mental illness and how life navigates when dealing with such issues. The characters were written to come to life and I think Jones did a great job of that. This was a fantastic read! Would highly recommend.
Cassie
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I was lucky enough to read this novel early and I couldn't put it down, sneaking pages at work when I could. I found myself finding such a emotional connection to the two main characters. I was brought back to when I was going to university in Toronto and what a person could do to you when you were still trying to figure yourself out.

It's so raw and real and I found myself trying to hide tears as I turned the pages. It is a book that has stayed with me for the months since I had the opportunity
Kirra-jade Pincham
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful heart wrenching read!

I had a great time reading this book! It truly gripped me from the beginning! The book was descriptive and informative and I also love reading something when I know the places that the characters go to in the book. I live in Toronto and work at a Starbucks right by UofT so it really felt like I could explore the city with the characters of this book! I loved it so much! Look forward to seeing more from this author!

I received a free copy of this book via Book
Raquel
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I would rate this more at a 3.5 if I could on here. The ending threw me for a huge loop. I should have seen it coming, it was almost cruel, however, probably more realistic than I'm idealizing how someone may be saved through a relationship. I wasn't expecting this. This is a story about suicide, grief and pain. But also growing and adapting.
I am excited to see how Ryan's writing grows and changes with future novels.
Ekta Singh
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Morgan
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review on thegraduatedbookworm.com

First, I would like to thank Zenith Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review! I was super excited to be given a copy of More Than Us, not only because it's a super intense and heart warming read, but because I consider Ryan Jones a good friend of mine through the Bookstagram Community. This however does NOT change my review or thoughts.

So personally for me, I felt like the story should've been longer to help develop the characters a
Emily (emilykatereads)
3.5/5 stars

This is a story sure to tear at your heart. It's a character-driven book that talks about depression, suicide, and self-harm. It works to erase the stigma around mental health, and normalizes therapy. I liked the inclusion of therapy, as often in YA books dealing with mental health, the characters like to deal with things their way, but for many people, seeking outside help is what they need.

The writing was easy to follow and made for an enjoyable read. It was more dialogue heavy, bu
Alina Azhar
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
More Than Us was a heartbreaking novel about Lora and Harper. Lora met Harper when he was in a vulnerable state, and stayed with him, through and through. The novel was narrated from Lora's point of view, though I still wish I could read what was going on in Harper's mind too.

This novel leaves your heart aching and wishing for another ending. Anything but that.

But, I guess, that's the thing about depression; therapy can help, family and friends can help, but this help can only delay the conseq
Lily
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publishers and Ryan Jones for the ARC!

A good read with some important themes and messages addressed. I liked that Ryan wasn't afraid to approach the topic of mental health and dealt with it in a sensitive way.

Written in an easy to read style with a lot of diaglogue and emotional description. I flew through it and found myself picking out quite a few quotes I wanted to remember.

I liked the main characters and their passions; writing for Lora and art for Harper. Although at times
readingtoknowimnotalone
Kristin
Feb 10, 2020
Bonnie Synclaire
Mar 08, 2020

• Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Grown
  • The Devil and the Dark Water
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • Punching the Air
  • The Boys' Club
  • The Skin We're In: A Year of Black Resistance and Power
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Fangs
  • Ghost Wood Song
  • The Paper Girl of Paris
  • If You Come Softly
  • The Summer Home 1 (Key Series, #1)
  • A Little Bit Dirty (Twisted Feather, 1)
  • Come For Me, Darling (Calusa Key, #1)
  • Golden Sunrise