Jump to ratings and reviews

More Than Us

What will a single moment do to Lora's life? When on a chilling, winter evening she discovers Harper in a time of need. When the past decides to make a reappearance, what can you do? What happens when your childhood home is not yours anymore? The two worlds of Harper and Lora collide and an unconventional friendship forms. Together, they must learn to navigate their complicated pasts, but strictly as friends. More Than Us steers through the complexities of mental illness and loss and showcases that we are all more than our pasts.

268 pages, Paperback

3 books30 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews
Profile Image for Devin.
52 reviews
July 25, 2020
I was given an e-ARC of this book in exchange for a voluntary review.

More Than Us is a contemporary novel that focuses around mental health. The novel follows Lora and Harper and both their mental health journeys but is told from Lora's perspective. A few trigger warnings about this novel, there are mentions of self-harm, suicide, PTSD, and anxiety. Additionally, there is also details of self-harm that might be triggering to some readers.

I appreciated Ryan's candid discussion of mental health within this story and how both Lora and Harper's experiences were quite different despite their similar mental health struggles. Self-harm is not something that is often spoken about in literature and the subsequent and underlying reasons as to why an individual self-harms is a complex one to discuss. Despite this, I think Ryan did an excellent job keeping a vulnerability around this topic. Ryan is a very talented writer but this being said, I don’t think this book accurately displays that.

There were a few qualms I had with this story. Lora, in my personal opinion, is quite a flat and a bit of a robotic character. I'd like to think this was an author's choice to try to center the conversation around mental health and not Lora but I felt that she was hard to like because she was a bit of a guarded narrator. I also felt that sometimes I was being talked at as the reader and not immersed in the story by descriptions. There were very random points in which descriptions would set the scene and help me feel what the character was feeling but often I felt like I couldn't really picture the scenes that were unfolding. In addition to this, there was a lot of dialogue; once again, I think this was a stylistic choice in letting the character's words do the talking but because of this I felt like there was a lot missing that could have really rounded out this novel. For instance, if there had been more descriptions I feel like I would have been able to feel for Lora more and understand what she said and her reactions better. This kind of goes along with my desire for more descriptions but the chapters were very short. I don't mind shorter chapters but these felt very short which had me feeling like as soon as I got into a chapter I was shoved out of it and into another scene. I think this added to my difficulty of not being able to be fully immersed in the story.

I also felt that there was lacking in the research given to in-patient care and the representation of self harm and suicide was a bit surface level. Since the book was centered around it I was expecting a better and more accurate representation of not only these but PTSD too.

Without spoiling anything, I was quite disappointed with the last 1/4 of the novel. There were a lot of time jumps that took place and since we only got Lora's perspective, I felt that the story ended up lacking a lot of what could have really made this a poignant read. If we had been able to have Lora and Harper's points of view, both demonstrating their struggles with more detail there could have been a better connection made between the reader and the characters. The ending, due to the time jumps, ended up feeling really rushed to me.

Despite my critiques, I did enjoy this read but I think I was hoping for a bit more than what it was. I still appreciate the candid discussion of mental health in the contemporary genre. Admittedly, I have only recently gotten into reading more contemporary novels so someone who prefers the genre might like this book more. I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys Young Adult literature, mental health representation, and enjoys a little romance.
Profile Image for Lizz  (literary_lizard).
230 reviews12 followers
July 29, 2020
I can’t remember the last time I read a book that made me cry as much as More Than Us by Ryan Jones did. This book deals with themes of suicide, mental health, and self-harm, so please be aware if you decide to add this title to your TBR list.

More Than Us follows the story of Lora, a 20 year old U of T student in the early 2000s, who saves Harper’s life after a suicide attempt. I promise this isn’t a spoiler, it’s literally what happens in the first chapter. From there, we see the two of them form a relationship, and navigate their very personal struggles with mental health.

I really enjoyed the different settings that were used throughout the story. I lived in Toronto while doing my post-grad, and felt the familiar pull of coffee shops and late nights on campus. It was really easy for me to look back and relate to that aspect of the character’s lives, and made the story more realistic for me. Being in school and away from home was extremely difficult for me, and I also saw a lot of my own mental health struggles portrayed in the book as well.

Feelings of loneliness and worthlessness, skipping out on therapy appointments, and anxiety that seems to skyrocket for no apparent reason are all too familiar for me. Seeing Lora and Harper discuss their feelings and how it affected their everyday life was in many ways very realistic. However, I understand that everyone’s mental health is very unique, so what seems familiar to me may not be for someone else.

I will say though that not everything in this book is wholly realistic. The way that Harper is so casually discharged from the hospital made me gasp. I understand that this book is fictional, and hope that readers recognize some of the gaps and do not assume that the story is all-encompassing of a patient’s experience.

I’m glad that a YA contemporary novel is exploring these themes, and hope that it helps spread awareness and break down the stigmas that are attached to mental health. Throughout the book we see Lora stand up again and again for her friends and family who are battling depression, and reminding people that it’s a common illness. Depression doesn’t define a person, and should be treated no differently from a physical ailment.

Overall, I did enjoy this book. It’s not a happy story; in fact, it’s one of the saddest stories I’ve read in a while. However, it was a fast read, kept me entertained, and championed the importance of therapy in a way I’ve yet to see in any other YA contemporary books (if anyone has recommendations, please let me know!).

Thank you to the publisher, Zenith Publishing, for an electronic copy of this book via Booksprout. More Than Us by Ryan Jones comes out on August 4, 2020.
Profile Image for Mallory.
64 reviews5 followers
July 30, 2020
DNF @ 50%, Rating 2.5/5 stars.

TW: Suicide, Self Harm, Mental Illness, Grief

Some spoilers - so read with caution.

I will be rating this book despite DNF'ing it at 50%. There is a reason for my DNF and I'll explain my thoughts fully.

Almost 5 years ago I lost my grandfather to suicide, so due to my experience, I'm considered a suicide loss survivor. Similar to Lora. Before this experience, I openly read books with the situations surrounding mental illness and suicide and after this experience, I perceived them in a new light, they also triggered me. More Than Us seems less like a love story, and more like a story of a girl who struggles with the fact that she couldn't save her brother after losing him to suicide. Lora is going through a traumatic grief cycle and when she finds Harper, she is given an opportunity to save him. Throughout the 150+ pages I read, I learned more about Lora's character and how she really was looking for someone to save. She projected the loss for her brother onto Harper and I really struggled with that. Lora's consistent theme in the 50% I read was that she felt constantly compelled to save and fix everything. I appreciate that she was flawed and contained a lot of aspects of self-doubt. This ultimately made her more complex.

I will say that this story is beautifully written and Ryan does a great job at describing and creating the story and the world. I'm drawn to her writing but also struggled with some aspects of this story. The medical scenes that take up the first half of the book feel like a weird episode of Greys Anatomy. I have to admit that reading medical inaccuracies even in a fictional format angers the crap out of me. A nurse would never let someone into a complete stranger's room after she finds him, would never say 'because you have a good heart' I'll essentially break the law for you. That is so grossly inaccurate and pissed me off completely. Also, I struggled with the fact that Harper wasn't taken aback but this complete invasion of privacy. Not only does Lora stay, but she goes through his personal items. Both the Doctor and the Nurse break the law in a mental health ward and it makes me upset. I think it would've made the story more believable if Harper had fought with Lora instead of just accepting it and being like wow someone did something good for me, my faith in humanity is restored.

I feel like if the author had consulted a medical professional and actually researched/provided accurate descriptions of the psych ward, this part of the book would've been better for me. Also, I wanted to note that the character of Lora's roommate was the most real person in the first half of this book and actually pointed out something truthful that Lora needed to hear. I can't say if their relationship improves but I'm happy that someone held Lora accountable.

I DNF'd this story due to my own personal experiences after Lora hiding the suicide note, I felt very uneasy and started thinking of my own trauma, because of that I decided for my own personal reasons to put it on hold. Maybe in the future, I'll revisit this story, but I'm excited to read future books by Ryan.
Profile Image for Olivia Scott.
Author 2 books15 followers
July 22, 2020
Thank you so much to Zenith Publishing for sending me a review copy of More Than Us! This review is my honest opinion. :)

3.5 stars! ✨

I really enjoyed reading More Than Us! I appreciated that Jones explored a tough topic with her story. Her characters’ struggles felt real, but I loved that their personalities weren’t limited by their mental health, and that their passions and the other parts of their lives were explored throughout the story, too.

Some things I didn’t enjoy: the book overall felt a little slow, and I think this was because Jones tended to describe small scenes in a lot of detail. For example (no spoilers!!) in one scene, our main character Lora takes a taxi to an event. A few pages are spent describing how she got into the taxi, the price of the ride, what the driver said, etc., but I think just saying “she took a cab ride over” would have sufficed and sped up the pacing of the book. Having said this, a slower pace can be a good thing in a character-focused book! So this is more of a personal preference than anything.

I also noticed that Jones’s side characters sort of floated into and out of the plot. With the exception of Lora’s parents, they didn’t have much of an effect on the story, and they themselves did not have goals or conflicts to merit their place in the book. At the ending, I wondered why they were included, simply because they acted as decorations to the main characters rather than as people. However, I did think they were realistic and well-rounded! I just would have liked to see some more involvement and more details surrounding them- many of them disappear towards the ending.

I loved Ryan’s prose, and there were several moments in the book that left me feeling awed by her writing. However, sometimes she described ordinary things in very prose-y detail, which took the punch out of her best moments. I would have loved to see that skill focused in places where it has the most impact.

Finally, the ending of More Than Us did not feel super satisfying to me. Part of this is the nature of mental illness and the fact that not everyone gets a happy ending (no spoilers!!!), but I did think that it was a bit abrupt and seemed to come out of the blue. Because of the nature of the ending (no spoilers!!!!!), the tone of the narrative changed very quickly, causing a sort of literary whiplash. Although the overall pacing of the book was on the slower side, I actually think we needed more time spent on the last 1/5th of the book or so.

Overall, Jones delivered a heart-wrenching story that opens the reader’s eyes to the realities of living with mental illness and of loving mentally ill people. This was a fresh perspective on an important topic and was more three-dimensional than many other portrayals of illness I’ve seen, which I really appreciated. I would recommend this book to readers who are looking for a heavier story with themes of mental health, or for readers who have loved victims of mental illness and want to be seen.

Thank you again to Ryan and Zenith Publishing! ✨

My favorite quote: “‘I’ve never understood the concept of saying sorry for crying,’ Harper said. ‘That’s like saying sorry for being human.’”
Profile Image for Brittney Kristina.
Author 3 books43 followers
July 31, 2020
Ryan’s writing is simply beautiful and flows with grace. I was completely immersed in this book the entire time, desperate to see how Harper and Lora’s relationship would unfold. My boyfriend and I met in college, and so I couldn’t help but smile, as I was reminded of those memories of us. Ryan did a great job at putting you in the mind of a college student, bringing me back to dorm life with ease.

Lora deals with her brother’s suicide, while Harper struggles with his own mental illness, and bringing the two together creates a lovely, broken dynamic. I really did love this story—it was heartbreaking, but a romance story I was desperately craving.

Some of the problems I had, however, was the main character’s actions/responses. I’m sure it was just her personality, because some people aren’t as talkative as others, but I found Lora a bit bland...? I knew she had walls up, and I knew her past, but I didn’t know why she was so cold around Harper, especially knowing what he was going through. I would have loved to SEE her love for him, putting all of her time on him, and I’d love to FEEL her heart pounding around him. She said that she was falling for him near the end, but I couldn’t help but feel as though she didn’t actually like him and thought of him as just a friend, and I even felt bad for Harper at times—he was trying so hard! But of course, there were plenty of adorable scenes of them and I couldn’t help but smile. 💞

I don’t have a mental illness, so of course, I can’t put myself in Harper’s head, but I don’t know how I feel about the ending just yet. I didn’t feel sad, but angry. Harper’s decisions at the end almost cut me out of the story, moving fast and occurring suddenly. I’ve decided that I prefer the story ending at Christmas, but then again I’m a sucker for happy endings.

Other than that, I loved this book all around. It was written wonderfully and I couldn’t stop turning the pages. A sweet, but (like I said) heartbreaking story. 4 stars from me!
Profile Image for Tammy (tales.of.tammy).
235 reviews2 followers
July 30, 2020
Thank you to Booksprout, Ryan Jones and GenZ Publishing for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I started this book I was immediately pulled in. The first half was raw, full of emotion, and had heart, hardship and truth. While Ryan didn’t go much into the process of being in a psych ward or discharge protocols, I think the author was focusing more on depression and the implications it can have on a persons life.

Unfortunately the second half fell flat for me. It felt rushed and superficial and left a lot to be desired. I could not feel a connected between the two main characters, especially in a romantic way. It felt forced and was really lacking that buildup I look for in books.

It’s a good story, and I loved the first half. I recommend it as it does discuss mental health and depression and shows somewhat how people with depression deal with it.

Trigger warning: suicide, mental health issues, depression
Profile Image for Caitlin (bookwormcait_).
35 reviews5 followers
July 26, 2020
A big thank you to Zenith Publishing for providing me with a copy of the e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

I gave myself a day to collect my thoughts and feelings about this book, but to be honest I’m still really in my feels about it. I fully connected to the story and the characters. I couldn’t stop reading even when it was so late into the night.

I’m typically a fantasy fan but this ya contemporary had me hooked. I instantly fell in love with the main characters Lora and Harper. Even the side characters were memorable. But I will say I connected the most with Harper and the love I have for this character and the way the author so perfectly describes mental health.

The author has an amazing magical way with words that make you feel that you are right there alongside the characters, feeling the cold wind against their skin or the tears rolling down their faces.

This book will forever hold such a special place in my heart. Thank you for writing a story that made me feel all these emotions.

Definitely in my top ten fave contemporaries of 2020!!

Profile Image for Shazia Khan.
115 reviews27 followers
October 17, 2020
I believe books about mental health are so important and wished books like this existed when I was a teen. It was so beautifully written that I could feel my heart break with such powerful lines about loss, healing and grief. I was invested not only in Harper and Lora's relationship but their journey towards healing. There were times when I could feel the pain that the author painted with her words and that is such a powerful thing.

I'm a nurse and worked with many teenagers admitted for depression and suicidal ideation in the past. Therefore, the parts of the story with Harper's hospitalization were not as accurate as I would have hoped. In reality there are very strict rules for visitation, assessments and discharge. That is my complaint but apart from that I do think the author captured the emotions of two struggling teens.

Profile Image for Ariel Hess.
161 reviews5 followers
August 1, 2020
I received an e-ARC of this book from Booksprout's in exchange for my honest review. The opinions in this review are solely my own and do not reflect the views of the author or publisher. Special thanks to Zenith Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book.

Trigger Warning: This book does contain details of suicide, depression, hospital, death, and therapy. Proceed with caution.

This book quite frankly ripped me to shreds as I dived into it page after page. It was a fairly quick read and I finished it within a few hours. In her debut novel, Ryan takes the reader on a journey of love, loss, betrayal, and mental illness. I was captivated from the first page and felt I could not put this book down until I finished it completely. In the end, I felt raw and as if my emotions were intertwined with the emotions of each character. She does a phenomenal job with capturing some of the challenges of facing depression and struggles related to navigating life with it. You can truly tell that she put her own emotions into this story.

Each character was so developed in such a way that allows the reader to be invested in their journey's. I personally would have liked more from the supporting characters but I also feared that if there was more it would have taken away from the main character's journey. Overall, I think this is an amazing read. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of this book as the author took you on a journey through the beautiful story of Harper and Lora. It has been a while since I have "ugly cried" at the end of a book. To anyone interested in reading this book, be sure you have your tissues ready because you will need them. This book made me both laugh and cry. There are only so many words that can be used to describe such a book. In my opinion, I would say for fans of John Green's "Paper Towns" and "Looking for Alaska" you will like this book.

Profile Image for Re •.
503 reviews44 followers
August 3, 2020
Thank you to the author/Booksprout for the ARC!
TW: self harm, depression, death.

3.5**

Gosh I am so honoured to have received an advanced copy of this book as we all got to see the slow loving process of Ryan’s journey to get here via her instagram.

As always I’m so awed by Ryan’s writing, it instantly sucks you in and you revel in it. I will say this book was pretty heavy and I was aware of this going into the story.

Admittedly this took me a little longer to get into, but when I did, it was for large chunks at a time. While I can’t relate to the various themes in the story I did take my time to truly soak everything up. I didn’t like Lora herself, I found her to be a little annoying at times, where she was just constantly like a deer in headlights. I thought she could be very childish at times and unwilling to give things a real chance...except I liked her a tiny bit more near the finale of the book. I actually found myself enjoying Deirdre more than anything else, she was open, and a real friend worrying herself about Lora and how she was doing, GOOD ASS FRIENDS make me happy ok. I liked Harper’s love for art, that made my artist heart so happy. His slow development and how he worked on himself despite having such a heavy mental illness.

The few gripes I have were with the medical jargon, policies and procedures, even down to the moments where I was very much like ?!?!?!?! because it wasn’t very well presented, I get that this is a work of fiction but that took me by surprise and I just didn’t enjoy that part.

Despite all of this I really liked this story, it made me get upin my feelings, and really think and want to research about various mental illnesses so i can myself become a better ally to those who suffer, and just become more compassionate.
Profile Image for Ashleigh.
224 reviews20 followers
August 1, 2020
A quote from the novel that ressonated with me "People are more than their bad days." So much more, if you care about someone through their good days you should be there during those bad times, and know that the bad days do not define them.

If you are thinking about reading this one, and I think you should, please know that it deals with mental illness, self harm and suicide.

More Than Us by Ryan Jones was such a powerful, thought provoking, heart wrenching read, that focuses on friendship and love.

Lora, lost her brother to suicide. She's off at university now when she finds a boy, she ultimately saves his life and feels attached to this boy in a comma in the hospital who she visits. Harper wakes up, and a friendship forms between the two. Lora understands Harper and feels like she needs to support him, she starts by making sure he gets to his therapy appointments but quickly those turn into coffee dates and even an art exhibit. The peak of their friendship when everything changed was when Harper came home with Lora for Christmas. Shortly after Christmas Harper ended their relationship.
Five years later Harper walks into Loras book signing, but he's late. This brings up so much emotions for Lora and she's unsure if she should give Harper another chance.
Lora opens up her heart to Harper again and they get married, adopt 2 cats and start a wonderful life together.
Just when I thought a happy ever after was occurring, bam Ryan Jones throws in a curveball and I'm bawling my eyes out with a kleenex box. After being so invested in her characters and their stories I was so devasted for their future. True to mental illness you have no idea what is deeply rooted inside someone and sometimes it's unfortunately too late when you find out.
Profile Image for Amy Poirier.
314 reviews2 followers
July 30, 2020
Is this book perfect? No, but it's a perfect snapshot of life and all it's glorious imperfections. That's why I'm giving it 5 stars.

More Than Us is about the battles fought by those with mental illness and the people who love them. It's about acceptance and sacrifice and boundaries. It's about being there even when it's scary. Honestly, it's about real life. Who among us isn't struggling or living with someone who is?

Chapter one is where I got hooked. It knocked me off my feet. It slammed me emotionally and sent me tumbling into memories. Ryan Jones nails the almost out-of-body quality of trauma. I guarantee that anyone who has ever ridden alongside someone in an ambulance and spent hours in a waiting room will be swept away by the writing.

I also related to the Main Character, Lora. Her fierce defense of those with mental illness was impressive. There's no excuse for misconceptions. We should expect compassion. If ever a book had perfect timing, it's this one. There's even an analogy that really stuck with me. It compares emotional experience to backpacks. You never know what someone else is carrying around. Some are heavier than others, and we can't see inside, so don't make assumptions.

It's not all heavy, though. I promise! This is also a love story. The discovery of the perfect partner. Those insecurities that come with first love. The ways that we make each other better, and the hurts that we cause while we're learning. Small delights are sprinkled throughout. Plus, it takes place in Toronto, where I spent much of my time as a teen, so the nostalgia was thick.

What else can I say? More Than Us just spoke to me. It felt like a piece of my heart in ink. I smiled and shed tears (so many tears). The story breaks your heart in the best way, though. You come out of it a little wiser. Your heart is a little softer. Maybe you even hug a little tighter.
Profile Image for Asa Henson.
Author 11 books10 followers
July 31, 2020
When I first started reading More Than Us it immediately took root in my heart. I knew from the first few pages that it was going to be a story I loved, and one that I felt deeply in tune with. Ryan took a topic that many struggle to understand and even talk about, and she portrayed it beautifully but also honestly. More Than Us is more than captivating. It doesn’t hide from difficult situations and it showcases that we all have our own struggles going on. Even the happiest people aren’t always happy. Mental illness is real. Feelings are difficult. They’re sloppy. But they’re real. Facing them alone is scary, but with great friends and people around you it’s a little more bearable. This story is one that I didn’t want to put down once I started reading. Even in all of its rawness, it’s simply an easy read. It’ll induce many emotions, but the one I think it truly embodies is hope. Thank you, Ryan. You wrote a beautifully deep story and I’m so grateful for the opportunity to read it before the rest of the world.

Cheers to many more stories from you in the future!

Profile Image for Christine Rees.
Author 3 books62 followers
August 2, 2020
"All I was, was a paper kiss under the moonlight. It was hard to remind myself that I was more than that."

More Than Us is a tragic and gripping story. It isn't perfect, but neither is life. This book will make you want to laugh and cry but most importantly, it sheds light on difficult themes: mental health, self-harm, and suicide. The emotional ache felt by Jones's characters is true pain. And as a reader, you feel it too.

I enjoyed Jones's writing style. It stays true to someone who is always getting lost in the moment like Lora - who is swept up by natural and artistic beauty. Her descriptions of winter scenery are awe-inspiring.

If you don't shy away from books that make you want to cry, add More Than Us to your TBR pile. It's great for fans of John Green!
Profile Image for Lisa.
Author 19 books309 followers
August 1, 2020
Lora, grieving over the suicide of her brother, connects with Harper, a young man she stumbles across (literally) when he tried to end his life. This NA novel touches on topics of depression, self harm, suicide, grief, guilt, and loss. Their relationship (both friendship and romance) was the most interesting one of the book and I would have enjoyed more of a focus on the two of them together. I think more time dedicated to their connection and challenges would have made the ending more impactful.

Profile Image for Cassie.
165 reviews5 followers
July 7, 2020
I was lucky enough to read this novel early and I couldn't put it down, sneaking pages at work when I could. I found myself finding such a emotional connection to the two main characters. I was brought back to when I was going to university in Toronto and what a person could do to you when you were still trying to figure yourself out.

It's so raw and real and I found myself trying to hide tears as I turned the pages. It is a book that has stayed with me for the months since I had the opportunity to read it.

It deals with love and mental illness and how a moment can change your life, but it doesn't have to define you.

If you are a fan of Nina LaCour, I would highly recommend picking up More Than Us. I cannot wait to pick up my own copy and delve into the pages again (and tab the heck out of it!!!).
Profile Image for Emily Reilly.
Author 2 books18 followers
July 29, 2020
I was given a e-arc in exchange for an honest review. From the moment I picked this book up I couldn’t put it down. There was a connection immediately. It was raw and real about the hardships of mental illness and how life navigates when dealing with such issues. The characters were written to come to life and I think Jones did a great job of that. This was a fantastic read! Would highly recommend.
July 15, 2020
What a beautiful heart wrenching read!

I had a great time reading this book! It truly gripped me from the beginning! The book was descriptive and informative and I also love reading something when I know the places that the characters go to in the book. I live in Toronto and work at a Starbucks right by UofT so it really felt like I could explore the city with the characters of this book! I loved it so much! Look forward to seeing more from this author!

Profile Image for Raquel.
311 reviews12 followers
September 23, 2020
I would rate this more at a 3.5 if I could on here. The ending threw me for a huge loop. I should have seen it coming, it was almost cruel, however, probably more realistic than I'm idealizing how someone may be saved through a relationship. I wasn't expecting this. This is a story about suicide, grief and pain. But also growing and adapting.
I am excited to see how Ryan's writing grows and changes with future novels.
Profile Image for Nicole .
258 reviews18 followers
July 7, 2022
3.5 stars. I want to give this book an honest review. I think this book was really good. I follow Ryan on Instagram before I read her book and I'm so proud of her for publishing a book. The story showed lots of Ryan's personality including her love of tea. Harper is also a girl name and a boy name. I appreciated the focus on mental health in this book and the emphasis on trigger warnings in the beginning of the book. I read this book in three days.

The rest of my review contains *Trigger Warnings*
Lora comes across as a boy in a pool of blood after slipping on some ice. After that happens Lora feels compelled to make sure that the boy was ok. We find out later that finding the boy like that triggers her to think about her brother who committed suicide. I was already in love with the story from the beginning even though I did feel like some parts could be better. I thought it was sweet that Lora came to check on Harper in the hospital and the nurse was so understanding about letting Lora visit Harper. When Harper did wake up from his coma he said that Lora could stay in the room with him which I didn't like. I really felt Harper would have been more ashamed and treated her more like a stranger. There was some redemption from this first meeting later when Harper questions Lora why she is offering to go to thearpy with him. I was sad that we didn't get to have the nurse in the story more after Harper left the hospital. I loved how Harper kept asking Lora to hang out with him more. The star wars movie marathon with Harper's room mate was awesome. I thought it was funny that Harper said Lora was his cousin but I found it off how it was never mentioned again. Harper offered to do laundry with Lora after noticing that she had to do some and Harper was there for her When she cried. When Harper asked Lora to come to an art show for school I thought it was so cute how excited he was when Lora said she would go with him. Lora and Harper actually told each other important things : what compelled Harper's suicide attempt and Lora's brother passing away because of suicide.

I did enjoy Harper coming with Lora home to her new house for Christmas. When Harper suggested they go for a walk I knew they would have a romantic walk. I also predicted that Harper would pull Lora into a kiss that was interrupted the first time. Then things get crazy. Now I did like that the book was warning us that things are not going to go Harper and Lora's way it did however make things less climatic. Harper and Lora just kissed and then Harper freaks out and acts different afterwards. Lora is confused but doesn't question it. Harper does eventually break things off with her even after almost cutting himself again. He feels like a failure and weak. Now I do feel like both Harper and Lora are broken at this point all things considered. Even if it was hard to break things off. Harper still didn't give Lora a chance which was unfair but Harper knows how big a heart Lora has that is something he wants to protect. The whole cutting their relationship short still felt like it came from nowhere and Harper never have Lora an explanation. Or why Harper never found Lora until 5 years later. Though Lora and Harper are not as emotionally damaged in the future at least it seems like that. The ending is emotional and shows how you really never know how someone truly feels behind closed doors. There is more explanation in Harper's suicide note and it is so sad. Finally I feel like this story would have been a lot stronger if the main character had chronic depression. Lora had depression from PTSD and we are missing more understanding about what it is like to have depression. Overall the book does help to remove the stigma around depression and anxiety but the book is more suited for people who want to know how to help people with mental illness.

Trigger Warning: mentions suicide, attempted suicide, drinking, orphan child, PTSD, depression, anxiety
76 reviews2 followers
September 28, 2021
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I think it handles some tough subjects such as self harm and mental illness very well.

The story is a nice quick read but also very involving.

Jones has written a great book and I look forward to reading more of her work in the future.
Profile Image for Ekta Singh.
20 reviews1 follower
July 7, 2020
🌸CUTE STORY WITH WONDERFUL ARTISTRY OF WORDS🌸

*Spoilers*

More Than Us is a story of a girl, Lora who lost her brother to depression and suicide, meets and fall for a guy who is also dealing with depression.

Lora is still dealing with grief meets Harper in one of his lowest points of life. Lora is more into reading and writing whereas Harper is more of an artist. This book has highlighted a very common but unacknowledged issue among youngsters - depression. On the darkest days of Harper's life, Lora is trying to show him some light.
What I liked about this book is how characters express their thoughts to each other and avoiding this is the sole reason why most of the love stories never exist.
I have read many books related to depression but what kept me engaged to this one is the writing style. OH MY GOD!! I am looking forward to the author's more books.

As you will ALMOST reach the end of the book, you will think that everything is settled now. He proposed her and they are going to be happy but it doesn't happen that way. The author has skipped a few years and then written about the characters' lifestyle. I really want to know what happened in those few years. I am sure you will have the same feeling because of the author's magnificent words. Also, I felt that it lacks a bit of romance, but then again it highlights the issue like depression.

I have fallen in love with Harper and I am not going to get over this book for days.
I found the ending part a bit disappointing as the author hasn't explained a few questions that Lora wanted to ask from Harper.

Overall, this is the CUTEST story that I have read this year and it's mostly because of the author's beautiful writing style that made it amazing. There were times when my eyes were full of water.
If you love All The Bright Places then you are going to love this book.

This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Morgan.
271 reviews22 followers
August 22, 2020
Full review on thegraduatedbookworm.com

First, I would like to thank Zenith Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review! I was super excited to be given a copy of More Than Us, not only because it's a super intense and heart warming read, but because I consider Ryan Jones a good friend of mine through the Bookstagram Community. This however does NOT change my review or thoughts.

So personally for me, I felt like the story should've been longer to help develop the characters and their story together so you could really FEEL their connection more than what it was. Like to feel so completely that I couldn't move on.

Other than that, I felt like the story definitely developed and you get more of an eye opening experience into people who deal with mental health. You get to see all sides, because truthfully, it's still a huge stigma that people just don't understand... and I feel like Ryan Jones did a great job opening that up more.

I feel like the relationship between Harper and Lora was great in many ways. First, you get into Harper and how Lora literally saved his life and what happens after that. Then you get Lora and how her life will never be the same after what she went through in her past as well as how her life dramatically collided into Harper's. It's crazy to believe that one day something different happens, it can change your life in more ways than you expected.

Overall this was a really great, yet heartbreaking story of two people who struggle and try to work so hard to overcome it. This is definitely a book for people to read and try to get even a sliver of an understanding into mental health, because it's real and it doesn't look the same on everyone.
Profile Image for Sacha Kurucz.
Author 2 books4 followers
January 24, 2022
The tears are still tumbling down my cheeks as I write this 😢 what an emotional read! Just - wow. What a powerful book 📖

✏ A note in advance, this evocative YA story covers both love and loss, and the effects of depression 💔 If anything, though, this should make you want to read it more. A romance novel like this is so important, as it highlights the impact of having a mental illness when falling in love.

💙 How many times have you read about having to love yourself first before another person can love you back? And how many times have you felt hurt by that, because your own self-perception will never be that perfect, and yet, you still have love to give? This is a concept faced by Harper, a young boy with inner-struggles, whose life was saved by Lora, a girl whose life would be forever changed for finding him.

💙 I want to keep this review free of spoilers, as it's truly worth reading in full. But, what I will say is how authentic this felt to read. The Toronto scenery was beautifully described - I could see it all in my mind's eye, like a film - and the feelings each character experienced throughout were as intricately detailed as one of Harper's paintings. Hence, the admitted tears!

💬 Although the book is full of poignant quotes, the one that sat with me the most - and probably always will - is this one, "People are more than their bad days." We all have them, but we should try our best to remember all that we do with our good ones, too 💙

Thank you for writing this stunning novel, Ryan. It's absolutely incredible, and truly struck a chord in my heart ❤ Amazing 👏
Profile Image for Emily (emilykatereads).
398 reviews295 followers
August 11, 2020
3.5/5 stars

This is a story sure to tear at your heart. It's a character-driven book that talks about depression, suicide, and self-harm. It works to erase the stigma around mental health, and normalizes therapy. I liked the inclusion of therapy, as often in YA books dealing with mental health, the characters like to deal with things their way, but for many people, seeking outside help is what they need.

The writing was easy to follow and made for an enjoyable read. It was more dialogue heavy, but I think for this story it worked, since the focus is on the characters and their journey.

Where this book fell short for me was the last 30 or so pages. I appreciated the time jump and seeing how the characters lives played out, but it kinda threw me out of the story since we were in the time time for so long and then it suddenly switched up. My other struggle with this book is more a personal one—it kinda reads like Lora wants to fix Harper, and it doesn't work like that. This one hits a bit closer to home for me, so I have a lot of feelings about it, but love doesn't resolve depression.

Overall, this is a short but powerful story about mental health, and works to normalize talking about depression and therapy. Ryan's writing shows so much potential, and I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!

*ARC received from the publisher for an honest review*
The first half of the book I read via digital arc, and the second half I switched to my physical copy when it came in!
Profile Image for Lily.
Author 1 book14 followers
August 6, 2020
Thank you to the publishers and Ryan Jones for the ARC!

A good read with some important themes and messages addressed. I liked that Ryan wasn't afraid to approach the topic of mental health and dealt with it in a sensitive way.

Written in an easy to read style with a lot of diaglogue and emotional description. I flew through it and found myself picking out quite a few quotes I wanted to remember.

I liked the main characters and their passions; writing for Lora and art for Harper. Although at times I felt like I didn't truly get to know them as characters, including some of the side characters.

I liked the snowy scenes too and the scene settings of the cafes and bookstores. I also liked the addition of Lora's parents and moving houses to add to Lora's development.

All in all I would have liked a bit more from the book as it seemed quite short and like there could have been something more intertwined. The ending seemed to be quite abrupt as well.

But although a sad ending, it draws again on the important topic of mental health and emphasizes that our bad days do not define us.

I look forward to reading more of Ryan's work in the future! Her writing shows a lot of potential and I overall enjoyed reading this book.
Profile Image for Ivy.
52 reviews
March 29, 2021
4.5 stars. This is a beautifully written book. There were so many amazing quotes that I read over and over again before moving on to the next line. I liked the way it was written, chronologically, as well. The flashbacks to tell pieces of Lora’s past fit seamlessly into the present and the transitions were nice. Lora was very relatable. I liked seeing her day-to-day routine; I felt like this made me get to know her well. This book is a little heartbreaking though. It has great representation for depression and suicide but this means there are quite a few emotional scenes. This is a fairly quick read, as long as the emotional parts aren’t too tolling on you. I really enjoyed this book and I would definitely recommend reading it.

CW: depression, self-harm, suicide
Profile Image for Angie.
15 reviews19 followers
May 11, 2021
3.5 stars. Cute story but sad. TW suicide, self harm, depression.
Profile Image for Dziyana Taylor.
Author 4 books13 followers
May 17, 2022
"Maybe it was possible to puke butterflies..." I love that line. It would be fun.

It was a very sad but lovely story of Lora and Harper. Maybe, they were really meant for each other. Maybe, just maybe. I liked that the book centered around mental health, this topic needs to be explored in books, and I am so glad that Ryan did.

I think Harper really believed that is was possible to overcome his demons, otherwise, he wouldn't have done the things he did. I am just sad and angry for Lora. But I guess, part of her knew the outcome of this situation.

I always want a fairytale in books, but this time it wouldn't make it real.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 31 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.