Start by marking “Sister Dear” as Want to Read:
Sister Dear

Sister Dear

Single White Female meets the psychological suspense of Samantha Downing and Mary Kubica: Learning she’s not her dying father’s daughter, Eleanor goes in search of her birth father. When he wants nothing to do with her, she becomes obsessed with her newly discovered half-sister and slowly begins to infiltrate her seemingly perfect life.

Beauty. Wealth. Success.

She’s got it
Kindle Edition
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Sister Dear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister Dear

Start your review of Sister Dear
Mary Kubica
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loss, love, revenge, buried secrets and greed add up to make SISTER DEAR an electrifying read. If you think you know where this story is headed, watch out. Hannah Mary McKinnon has a few tricks up her sleeve. A must read!
Holly  B
Nov 13, 2019 marked it as to-read

Can't wait to read this one!
Kimberly Belle
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A grieving daughter, a jealous sister - nothing is as it seems in Hannah Mary McKinnon’s latest slow-burn suspense, Sister Dear. This one creeps up the back of your neck then explodes into an ending that I guarantee you won’t soon forget…and will leave you begging for a sequel. Smart, addictive, and genuinely surprising.
Ash
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of out-of-nowhere twist endings
Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have incredibly mixed feelings about this book, and especially about its protagonist, Eleanor Hardwicke. Sister Dear is written entirely in first person, from Eleanor’s perspective, and let me tell you, her mind is not a pleasant place to stay for nearly 400 pages. Which doesn’t make sense, because I should have related to her, and in some ways I did relate to her. I have also
Sonica
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Hannah Mary McKinnon and MIRA Books for my advanced copy of Sister Dear, in exchange for my honest review. This title publishes May 26, 2020.

There is no greater feeling than hearing about a new book your favourite author is coming out with – it feels like Christmas, no matter what time of year it is.

When Hannah Mary McKinnon told me about her upcoming book, Sister Dear and shared a bit of the premise with me, I’m pretty sure I squealed.

I had just finished her two of her previous books
Samantha Downing
A stunning achievement! Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen, Hannah Mary McKinnon proved me wrong. Beautifully plotted story with characters that left a mark.
Giulia
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent thriller with a main character I felt came to life on the pages due to the author's descriptive writing. I have a pet peeve with English writers writing for an American character that don't fully ring true to me. Eleanor has lived her entire life in the U.S.A., she never lived in the U.K. herself --although her Father's family originated from somewhere in England. It kind of grates on me--This is nitpicking ....I know... but this is my review and I want to mention it lessened my ...more
Ludwig
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Be still now,” she whispered. “There’s a good sister dear.”

Sister Dear is an entertaining, well-executed, wickedly addictive suspense novel that’s perfect for admirers of The Last Mrs Parrish and The Better Liar. Except, this story is so much more than that.

Eleanor is a well-studied character. As a child, she hardly felt loved as she didn't exactly grow up in a loving family: a mean sister, a cruel mother...who - she later realizes - had been lying to her for years while ill-treating her.
Kayleigh Fontana
Stop what you're doing and add "Sister Dear" to your #2020TBR pile immediately. I am calling it - this will be another SMASH hit by Hannah Mary McKinnon and sure to be on many "top books of 2020" lists.

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of Hannah's books because they are very different, but solid. Her writing was very mature in this and the character's had layers of complexity, yet realness, that I admire. She can take an ordinary plot and turn it into something masterful, something to be cherished
Rikke
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book Review:
Sister Dear by Hannah Mary McKinnon

A huge thank you to Hannah Mary McKinnon for providing me with an Advanced Reader Copy.

I was instantaneously swept away into each of the characters and woven into the fabric of their lives. I felt them, I loved them, I hated them, I envied them, I loathed them!

The very beginning hit extremely close to home and had me reading the first few chapters through an endless sea of tears having recently gone through the same horrific loss in a similar
Debbie
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this novel! Review closer to publication date.
Christy ImperfectlyWorthy
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW. That was utterly FANTASTIC. I finished this bingeread-worthy book in under 36 hours! If it hadn't been for work and sleep it would have been MUCH faster! The twists and turns and family-drama keep you guessing til the very end. You won't see this one coming!
I HIGHLY reccommend Sister Dear, by Hannah Mary McKinnon, and seriously see her becoming a household name if she keeps this up! WOW!
Samantha Bailey
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunningly layered and brilliantly written, Hannah Mary McKinnon's, Sister Dear, captures the essence of twisted sisters. A slow-burn domestic suspense with complex, remarkable characters that hurtles to a shocking, fiery climax you won't see coming. I received an advance reader copy.
Janet
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When it is snowy and cold outside (and my car is buried under 2ft of ), superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. LOL

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

Beauty. Wealth. Success.

She’s
Christy ImperfectlyWorthy
Kate Rock
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliantly twisted slow burn of family, love, loss and REVENGE. Hannah Mary McKinnon is back with some seriously complex characters that have you wondering who is up to what...you'll be quite surprised at what happens in this #creeptastic, un-put-down-able thriller.
I love everything about this book and highly recommend it to all. Hunker down when you crack it open because you wont put it down. 5 sparkly stars!
Wendy Heard
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Mary McKinnon strikes again, delivering another layered, complex protagonist and another fascinating twist ending. Every character had me suspicious and guessing; I knew this couldn't go well for Eleanor, but I didn't know how it was going to go wrong until the shocking twist that made me rethink everything I'd taken for granted. A taut, psychological suspense novel with a finely wrought protagonist, SISTER DEAR will have us all wondering how well we really know each other.
Donna Hines
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, netgalley
"I want what you have" is one of the best quotes I can offer to describe this wonderful new thriller by Hannah Mary McKinnon.
Watch out! Because what you think you know isn't even close to the dark side of reality.
Life goes on and sometimes you're on the out looking in.
In this case, Eleanor uncovers the truth about her biological father and her world becomes torn.
She's already in turmoil and this has fueled the inner fire so much so that she stakes him out and learns another branch of the family
Jill Burgin
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So poor Eleanor loses her beloved father a few hours after hearing a devastating secret her loving father and truly cruel mother have kept from her. Why does her mother seem to hate her? In her grief, Eleanor follows up on the secret she overheard and suddenly, the possibilities for her small, rather limited,, life opens up and perhaps she can have the stable prosperous loving family she’s always wanted. We are sympathetic to her and will her to confront her mothers past. And discover a ...more
Melissa In The City
holy cannoli macaroni, this was awesome! I finished this in under 24 hours because I just couldn't put it down. Wherever I want, so did Dear Sister.
Such an interesting cast of characters and a very unique plot. This one will have you gasping and saying Oh My God! It was a ping pong game of "i like her. I dont like her. I like her. I dont like her."
The whole story was a twisted thriller but the ending was a bonus. thats all I can say.
I think this is going to be a very in demand book when it is
Ethel Z
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grateful to receive an advanced copy! This was my first time reading a book by Hannah Mary McKinnon and now I can't wait to devour the rest of her work. Sister Dear is a novel of vengeance narrated by a sympathetic character who suffers a devastating loss.
Eleanor's world view has been shaped by her caring father and her narcissistic mother. When a life-changing secret is revealed, followed by a violent attack and the stark realities of her struggling business, Eleanor plunges into feelings of
JenLynette
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Hannah is easily becoming one of my go to top authors! I Don’t even read what the book is about, I go in blindly knowing I’m going to devour it and love it! Her books always throw me for a loop and you get that jaw dropping moment and this one is no different! I highly recommend it!!! Thank you for the advanced readers copy ,all opinions are my own.
Cortney Walton
Wow! I will read anything by Hannah Mary McKinnon. I absolutely loved The Neighbors last year. Her books are so twisty. Her characters are so layered and diverse. She is an auto buy author for me.

Eleanor’s Dad just passed away and she finds herself at a crossroads. She finds out an awful truth about her parentage. She can not deal with the truth. So she sets out to meet her new family only to find out her biological father does not want anything to do with her. Set on revenge she plots to meet
Samantha
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book, read it in a single weekend because I couldn't put it down!
Nikki
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you asked me what is my favorite Hannah Mary McKinnon book I’d say every single one! I fell in love with her first book and couldn’t wait til the next and then the next and now I wait very very impatiently for any news on when the next book will drop! Sister Dear was all kinds of mind thrilling, creepy, edge of your seat til the last page book! I love when books lead you one way and then right to the end BOOM totally not the way you think it ends. I can’t say enough about how amazing this ...more
Heidi Lynn’s BookReviews
First, I want to thank Hannah Mary McKinnon, Harlequin Books S.A., and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

WOW!! Hannah Mary Mckinnon continues to write incredible books with jaw dropping shocking endings! Sister Dear Is just as good if not better than all of the others I have read from her.

This book starts off in the present day and then jumps back to fifteen months earlier when Eleanor’s life is flipped upside down.

Hannah from chapter two immediately
Girl Well Read
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, reviewed
A special thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin/MIRA for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Eleanor Hardwicke has just lost her beloved father. Her world is beyond shattered when she learns that the man that she cherished was not actually her father and that she was the result of an affair. Eleanor's biological father, Stan Gallinger, is alive and well. He's a successful businessman with an adoring family.

Victoria, Eleanor's half sister, had the loving childhood that Eleanor so desired. She
Hillary
There were enough inter-sentence redundancies to be distracting. Also the characters, especially the main character, are exceptionally difficult to get behind for the first third of the book. That said, the conclusion, while not entirely shocking, was really fun.
Alice

• The Other People
  • Reputation
  • The Better Liar
  • The Wife Stalker
I was born in the UK and grew up in Switzerland. Unsurprisingly I love chocolate, mountains and cheese, and books, of course.

When I moved to Canada with my husband and three sons in 2010 I went through an (early) mid-life crisis. Maybe it was the failed attempt at a start-up company, but one morning I decided to follow my oldest passion; writing - and never wanted to look back.

My first novel,