Start by marking “Midnight Sun” as Want to Read:
Midnight Sun

Midnight Sun

From the Audible site:

James Dommek, Jr., an Alaska Native writer and musician, sheds new light on a real-life mystery that pits Native American folklore against the US justice system. In the vast Alaskan Arctic, legend has it there once lived a mythic tribe—Iñukuns—that only existed in rumors and whispers. This changed forever when an actor-turned-fugitive, Teddy Kyle
Audible Audio
Published 2019 by Audible Originals

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Sun

Start your review of Midnight Sun
ALet
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Production of this audiobook is really great but sadly the story itself wasn't that interesting or captivating
Wulfwyn
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible, crime, homes, owned
I enjoyed this selection greatly. I listened to it in one sitting because I was so engrossed in the book. It brings up points that need to be discussed. What does make up a jury of peers, is one. Mental health and alcoholism are others. It is a sad tale though interesting. I don’t always enjoy narrators who are the author. In this audio selection, I did. Perhaps be the story is a true one and the narration respected that. In my opinion it was well done. I’m happy I listened to it.
Dan Francis
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Insight into native culture you don't often see.
Katie Oglesby
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing journey! First, the narrator is the same as the author who has a voice incredibly easy to listen to. Second, I feel like I was right along on the trail of this mystery. This is quite a tail and I hope he narrates more and continues telling the stories of his people.
Anne
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Not sure how I feel about this one... I like the way he spoke, and the mysterious events that unfolded were intriguing...however, it seems like there were two separate stories being told that did not really meld together to form a whole.... As for the guilty verdict... Yeah, I agree... I am Pagan,I believe in many legends ... I won't say their legends are impossible, murder and attempted murder are still crimes, even if you believe it was to please a supernatural creature... I do believe he ...more
Brook
Inuit peoples: truth, folklore, fabulous... when i think ‘eskimo’ or ‘alaska’... there’s a huge blank in my mind... an unknown story. This author details his life inside his hometown, the film industries he participated in specifically as a native, and as he explores the real story behind someone he knew both from film and a local towns murder spree. He hikes the trails, interviews those endangered or who were friends of the person he knew, and somehow all the stories weave to not only give a ...more
Aletha
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Worth the audible listen! The author is pretty funny (or maybe it was funny because I live in the region where the true crime story is set).

It makes some pretty interesting points on the justice system and colonization in arctic Alaska and it tells a great story about a true event.

I’ve never had Chinese in Alaska outside of Kotzebue, but I will not confirm that it has the best Chinese food in all of Alaska.
Leslie Nyen
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Heather Venard
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely the best Audible Original so far - not just a true crime story, or even the study of an Alaskan culture most of us know nothing about. But this is also the journey of the narrator, a musician and native Alaskan himself. A very cool listen.
Shirley
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a freebie from Audible.
I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
Becky Mccain
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and engrossing true tale by a real storyteller. Great insight into the culture and injustices of the native people of Alaska.
BB May
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting listen lots of unique perspectives little bit dry do the cadence of the reader
Amy Day
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved the audio version as I felt more depth of each character’s feelings and thoughts. True crime is always so fascinating as we truly never know someone’s inner motives or mental anguishes
SaraBecca
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful storytelling. Intriguing and dynamic. I hope to hear more from James Dommeck, Jr.
Blake Charlton
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
a compelling true-crime set way way up in the arctic
Jordan
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Listened on Audible earlier. Wasnt too bad.. kind of interesting. Gave 3 star just because it wasnt something I would reccomend to someone later unless they wanted something on this topic itself.
Jennifer Baratta
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review on www.audible.com must listen to this book.
Adam Kofoed
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A genuine view into the beautiful and sometimes terrible culture of the iñupiaq people.
dbbooknerd
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is really fresh, really ancient, really amazing storytelling. I was not familiar with this story at all but I found myself transfixed and transported.
Al
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection-audio
An interesting story. I found myself drawn into many different thought paths as I listened. The thoughts of the lost tribe, Teddy's story and even that of the author.
Well done.
Jan Fall
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well produced and narrated.
Gina

• Interview with the Robot
  • The Minuteman
  • Call Me God: The Untold Story of the DC Sniper Investigation
  • The Christmas Pact
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • Tinaca Jones