Start by marking “Illusions, Delusions” as Want to Read:
Illusions, Delusions

Illusions, Delusions

Just what is a short story? Through the prism of seven vastly different and fantastically imaginative forms, Alexander Raphael showcases the opportunities the genre offers. Inspired by writers such as John Updike, James Thurber and Franz Kafka, here are his first set of stories in a wonderfully minimalist yet thought-provoking style.
Published October 6th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Illusions, Delusions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Illusions, Delusions

Start your review of Illusions, Delusions
Victoria Ray
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great collection!
These stories are clever, humorous, thought-provoking, twisted, and delightful!
The author sets a scene, paints the people with interesting personalities, and introduces a situation which may, or may not, be influenced by the main character...
The story called “Punbelivable” is absolutely awesome! Very creative!
Two last in the collection were sad, wise and hilarious at the same time! Loved also allegorical touch and the work of author with plots, forms/structure and heroes!

I w
Gabriel Saucedo
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Job, I was delighted reading so clever stories, the use of the words in a sort of double sense is astounding as well as brilliant!
Punbelievable is the one I enjoyed the most, great word games!
Vera West
Jul 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Norah
Nov 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly titled, Illusions, Delusions takes readers on a whirlwind journey through seven stories that all deal with the mind, imagination, and creativity in some way. Raphael really plays with genre and different storytelling techniques in this collection. It’s amazing to explore just how different each story is from the next, and yet they all work wonderfully as a cohesive exploration of, well, illusions and delusions.

A lonely man finds love in an unexpected place, a writer has a poignant conve
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
I was given the chance to read this book of short stories and I absolutely loved them!

The way they are written both draws you in and makes you think. Sometimes things aren't quite as they seem. Each stories is different from the other , there is no genre I could place it into.

My favourite was definitely questions, answers , questions , I liked the way that it did make you think about the questions and take time with them. They are short stories but they pack a lot into them, they are ones that
Luz
Aug 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Within Twilight

This is a really meaningful story in my opinion,that is very energetic,specific and beautiful,besides all the details that Alexander wrote,they’re just brilliant.
Margaret (Meg) Sorick
Nov 13, 2021
Sandra
Jan 12, 2020

• Gothic Epistle Romantica: Poetry Inspired By Undying Love
  • The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
  • The Indie Author Mindset: How changing your way of thinking can transform your writing career
  • Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything
  • Our Justice
  • The Wakening
  • The House of Mirth
  • Churro and the Magician
  • A Bedtime Full of Stories: 50 Folktales and Legends from Around the World
  • Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual
  • Keto Diet: Your 30-Day Plan to Lose Weight, Balance Hormones, Boost Brain Health, and Reverse Disease
  • A Wayne in a Manger
  • Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  • Made
  • Daddy: Reflections of Father-Daughter Relationships
  • Death of a Chimney Sweep (Hamish Macbeth #26)
  • Big Panda & Tiny Dragon - Special Edition
  • Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Half-Welsh, half-Mexican and growing up in London, Alex Raphael was surrounded by different influences and interests. But it was always books that spoke to him most and had the greatest impact.

He started writing when at college, where his love of reading evolved into a desire to write, in particular focusing on poetry and short stories. Studying English and American Literature at university meant

News & Interviews