Start by marking “The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)

The Pairings

(The Pairings #1)

The secret is locked in her mind—and they’ll do anything to get it.

Generations ago, humanity was devastated by a virus that wiped billions from the planet. If not for AmeriGlobe’s Pairing programme to match immune survivors, and VaxWell’s immunity-boosting biomods, humans would’ve died out.

Lora Flannigan has sought to conform to the strict laws throughout her eighteen
Published November 3rd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Pairings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pairings

Start your review of The Pairings (The Pairings, #1)
Beth
The Pairings was a light, dystopian, young adult (I'd say more young teen) read. The story was interesting and well conceived with a premise that should of blown my socks off. It didn't. There is a deficit in character development that greatly diminished the character connection required for me to love a story. The potential is there, it just needs the engagement factor.

I received this copy of The Pairings from Relay Publishing. This is my honest and voluntary review.
Lia Carstairs
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
I must say, this was kind of boring.
Many times I was tempted to DNF The Pairings but I forced my way through this book.
The torture......
It's not that this book was horrible. I mean maybe some of you might love this series.
It's just that to me, I felt like there were so many cliche scenes that made me cringe.
Lora Flannigan is a girl who's applying for something called the Pairing, where of course people are paired together. She's paired with a
Beth
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This dystopian, post apocalyptic YA novel is based on a unique and interesting premise. Zero, a dangerous virus, decimates the world and a person's rank in society is determined by the amount of immunity and vaccinations they have. Because of the virus, people are unable to reproduce naturally so when they turn eighteen, they are paired with a person they are most likely to be able to produce test-tube children with. The pairings are decided by VaxWell, a vaccine company, and are based on a ...more
Nicole
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this novel from net galley and the publisher. Thank you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This novel was an enjoyable read in a post apocalyptic world, where humanity now relies on pairing, which are based off one's immunity and use of biomods to enhance themselves. Lora Flannigan wants to do what she believes she father has always wanted her to do: find a pairing. When she gets paired with high caste Jarid, she thinks everything is looking up. However, there is so much she does
Chris
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy from NetGalley, but this review contains my honest opinions and feedback.

One might be tempted to think this is another YA book with a plucky heroine who triumphs over corporate evil… and there’s some truth to that. But that doesn’t detract from the fact that this is a thoroughly enjoyable, light read.

I enjoyed Lora, the main character, and I want to get to know her better. I understood her motivations, what drove her to take the actions that she did. But there’s a reveal in the
Rose Brown
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this tale!
In this scary futuristic tale where the government/VaxWell controls your future, the main characters, Lora, Jarid and Syeth are determined to end this control. This is a well-written plot-driven tale that has creative world-building scenes with suspense and action that takes your breath away. In a world where you get "mods" injections to “improve” to your body, hair, and beauty, which increases your ranking for pairing, one girl wants to fight the system. When she
Veronica Prowant
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
CrazyCat (Alex)
The Pairings is a story about hope of a better future, romance, technology and the fight for independence. In a future were you get paired with your best match, but only if your scoring is high enough, Lore gets matched with Jarid. A Level 1 boy, a dream come true for a Level 3 girl like Lora. What she doesn’t know is that not everything is as it seems in the Rothkind family and that Jarid’s twin brother Syeth might change her look on life. I loved this book and can’t wait to read the next. ...more
Rebecca
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free ecopy of this book for an honest review through Net galley. I thought this was a very well done book and an excellent read. I was a little worried about whether or not I would be able to keep my focus on the book and understand it since the blurb made it sound as if some aspects would be overly technical. I didn't have this issue though. I never felt there was an overwhelming info dump or even got slightly confused. It was a great paced read too without losing vision. It was ...more
Marina
Wow. This was an amazing story; it was amazingly detailed and well written. This would be a great read for fans of the Uglies series and/or the Matched series. It had the same vibe as the Uglies series and some larger themes to the book, though they are definitely not the same. I haven't read anything other than paranormal books recently and this was like a slap to the head saying, What have you been doing?! The story and the characters draw you in from the beginning and don't let you go until ...more
Kat
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lora Flanagan had been preparing for her pairing for the past 18 years. She always hoped it would better her life and make her father proud. It turns out due to her gift , she was being used.... she never imagined the love she would find along the way and how hard she would have to fight, and the hidden truths she’d uncover. You become immersed in her life, you have to know what happens next. Another great book by Ramona Finn! Can’t wait to read the next one!

I received a free copy of this book
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Though I have a lot of books by author Ramona Finn, I've never actually followed through with reading any of them, until this one. Coming into the author's work with a completely fresh mind, having just finished a comic book and before that, a non fiction cookbook, I was excited to get back into a topic that I just love, which is a good dystopia.

Check out my full review here!

Bandie Cruea
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.
Sneaky teenagers, crazy adults, and someone messing with other people’s minds. I couldn’t get enough.
I liked how right away we are put into the action of it all. It really has a little bit of everything... love, hatred, loss, hope, secrets, and so much more. I can’t wait to read book 2!

Jennifer Casazza
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the story but quickly forgot about it after reading. I feel like it was just too basic. I do still want to read the next book so there's that. I do want to find out where the author takes us next. I've enjoyed the Glitches series by this author so I am hoping the second book is more. It feels to me like a book intended to be a series but the first book was just cut too short.

Ivy Bookdragon
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful YA book with great characters and an engaging story!
Although real life was hard the last couple of days, I always reached for this eARC as soon as I finished work.
The story is full of thrilling situations, lovely moments and secrets. I loved the interaction between the main characters and this fictional glimpse into the future seemed very possible...
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this great eARC!
Elizabeth McDaniel
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. Great strong female lead even though at first she can’t really decide which brother she truly wants. It was so different and the characters were so interesting. I could not put the book down until I finished and now I can’t wait to see what happens in New California.

Xtina Parada
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was an interesting read. Not quite what I was expecting but interesting non the less. It's not the type of book I usually read but it was a decent read. If you loved the divergent trilogy then this book is perfect for you.

Jessica Milverton
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting read, a good dystopian story.

I really liked Lora and there was a very cute romance going on. It did sometimes feel as if we jumped too quickly in her development and a lot of the rebel types seemed very negligent (there won’t be a long rebellion if they keep on the way they are going.

But overall very entertaining and interesting read.
Kylie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book, story line and characters well written, would recommend to those who like teen romance, highly reccommend

Jackie
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A long time ago, humanity was being wiped out by a virus. Then someone came along that could help. Absolutely fabulous from beginning to end. It’s a definite must for everyone.
Pamela
Dani
Amy the reading Potato
Nov 11, 2019

• Shadow Kisses: A Zodiac Shifters Paranormal Romance Anthology
  • Renewal (Enchanted Foxes, #4)
  • Demons (Darkblood Academy, #3)
  • Malicious Prince (Territorial Mates #3)
  • Dragonsworn (Outling #2)
  • Fae Deception (The Kincaid Werewolves Book 4)
  • Prophecies (Darkblood Academy #4)
  • Earth Guardian (Deities Series Book 2)
  • Dark Skies 1 (Dark Skies, #1)
  • Hades Academy: Fourth Semester (Hades Academy #4)
  • Blood and Madness (The Goblin King, #2)
  • Flow (The Flow Series Book 1)
  • A Love that Endures 3
  • Laughter at the Academy
  • Path of the Dark (Light and Darkness, #3)
  • Prophecy of Magic
  • Supernatural Slayer Squad (Darkblood Academy, #2)
  • Flame Guardian
Ramona Finn writes about courageous characters who fight to live in broken, dystopian worlds. She grew up sitting cross-legged on her town's library floor - completely engrossed in science fiction books. It was always the futuristic world or the universe-on-the-brink-of-extinction plot lines that drew her in, but it was the brave characters who chose to fight back that kept her turning the pages.

The Pairings (2 books)
  • The Carrier (The Pairings, #2)