Start by marking “There's a New Witch in Town (The Holiday Hills Witch Cozy Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
There's a New Witch in Town (The Holiday Hills Witch Cozy Mystery #1)

There's a New Witch in Town

(The Holiday Hills Witch Cozy Mystery #1)

Welcome to Holiday Hills, where the coffee’s fresh and there’s magic in the air…

I have a perfect life. I recently bought the most adorable little cottage just off the corner of Main Street in Holiday Hills, the charmingest of charming small southern towns. I spend my days ghostwriting a cozy mystery series for a well-known author, and maybe just a minute or two crushing
Published January 21st 2020 by Magnum Grace Publishing

To ask other readers questions about There's a New Witch in Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a New Witch in Town

Start your review of There's a New Witch in Town (The Holiday Hills Witch Cozy Mystery #1)
Micky Cox
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a new series and the main character is an outstanding hit for me! It seems with cozy mysteries that it takes a couple of books or so to really flesh out the characters and bring their personalities to life, not so with this book! I was drawn to and liked the main character right from the start. Her personality was well established as were those of the other characters in the book. The plot was entertaining and intriguing as well. I can't wait to read more!!!
JoAn
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There's a New Witch in Town by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson is an engaging cozy witch mystery. Abby discovers after her mother's death that she is a witch and that the whole town that she has lived in her whole life is magical. Ms. Aspenson's descriptive writing made Abby, Cooper and the small town of Holiday Hills come to life as I read. A few twists, red herrings and a reveal that I had me gripping my Kindle made this a great afternoon read. I'm looking forward to more books in this series.

The
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aspenson combines two of my favorite genres, paranormal and mystery. In this witchy new series Abby discovers she is a witch, has a talking cat named Cooper, and a murderer hot on her heels. This fast paced new series has me hooked. Cooper steals the show with his snarky cat attitude. There's A New Witch in Town is classic Aspenson.
Monica
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. So many twists and surprises and I had to resist jumping to the end to see how it ended. Lots of funny moments, fun characters, and amazing animal sidekicks. Lots of surprises along the way. Great new series.
JoAnn Chilcote
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First book in a new series. A cozy with paranormal action mixed together turned out to be a good combination for me. I liked the characters, Bessie and Abby were my favorites. Can’t wait to see the love blossom and what new powers Abby can master.
Oh and Mr Charming is quite intriguing also!
Fast read with lists of action.
Beatrice Followill
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked the character Abigail Odell , cant wait to see her growth as she learns more about her secret life as a witch she was unaware of until her mom passed away. Abigail was just a regular girl, writing stories about witches and shapeshifters, till one day she realizes she was one as well. In this cozy she learns some of her moms secrets and the danger that comes with it.
Wulfwyn
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There’s a New Witch In Town is a new series by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson. I have read a few books by this author and have never been disappointed. I’m delighted that this one continues that trend.
In this one we are introduced to Abby, a young writer who has just lost her beloved mother. Things start happening around her that she puts down to faulty wiring. In reality, she, who writes tales of a witch, is about to make a startling discovery.
I love the characters in this. Abby, love interest Gabe,
Rosemary K
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abigail Odell's life changed drastically when her mother died. Suddenly unusual things are happening around her. When she learns her mother never told her of her magical heritage, Abby is shocked. She can't believe that she's being stalked and that someone or something is trying to kill her and take her powers. Abby needs answers. I'm shocked how quickly she adjusts to all these changes. She's amazing. With the help of her familiar, Cooper, she's learning how to be a witch. Her former cuddly cat ...more
Darcysmom
Shelves: arc-other
There's a New Witch in Town is a really strong first book in the new Holiday Hills Witch Cozy Mystery series. In this book, we meet Abby Odell who is grieving the recent death of her mother and wrestling with learning that she is a witch. Yes, an honest-to-goodness, twitch your nose and magic happens, witch.
Learning she is a witch opens up a world of discovery and trouble for Abby. Her sweet cat, Cooper, is now her familiar - and he can speak to her, in English! She learns that her mother's
Krystyna
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A magical heritage - not likely

A good read but one glaring omission. Did she get her mother's powers in the end? A small community of supernaturals, a death of witch and a need for revenge.
The characters are still finding their feet. They need a bit more filling out to really become flesh and blood to me. However loved Cooper, her familiar, a nice mix of sarcasm, love and knowledge.
Finding out that your mother is dead is bad enough. Now she has been told she's a witch and that there are two
Nadine
Shelves: favorites
What a wonderful new witchy series!

What an enjoyable story! Well-written, fun; wonderful! Abby has only JUST learned that she’s a witch, and she has a hard time wrapping her head around all this witchy business. It’s a lot to take in! And a talking cat! A snarky one at that! I loved the fact that she is an author who writes a witch cozy! Well, ghostwrites, to be exact. But that was funny. I loved the whole book! It was a journey of discovery of her own witchy powers (that she definitely needs
Sue Buck
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby Odell moved back to Holiday Hills a small town where she is living above her favorite bookstore and coffee shop, The Enchanted. Abby enjoys her days being a ghost writer of paranormal cozy mysteries and spending time with her best friend, Stella.. Her mother, Addie informed her before dying that Abby is a witch. Bombshell! Cooper, Abby's cat/familiar and Bessie, Addie's best friend help Abby deal with being a witch. While visiting her family tomb, Abby finds a body dead. what else could ...more
Mari Schroer
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is not unusual for a death in the family to bring the black sheep out of the woodwork, but when they come to steal the magic you just found out you had that is just too much. Abby has lived a normal life, she is a ghost writer of a witch series and has recently lost her mother. Her mother’s last words to her were “You’re a witch”. As Abby begins to understand her new life, along with a snarky familiar cat and a parrot who sings Eagles songs, she finds herself in danger and her magic on the ...more
Alma Collins
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby Odell is a new witch in town. She had no clue she was a witch until after her mother passed. She recently bought the most adorable little cottage just off the corner of Main Street in Holiday Hills, the charmingest of charming small southern towns. I spend my days ghostwriting a cozy mystery series for a well-known author, and maybe just a minute or two crushing on the town’s police chief. But of course, I’d never let that cat out of the bag because I am so not his type. Someone is after he ...more
Monica
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun cozy mystery with a paranormal twists. You have all the usual things a cozy mystery has but in this case the whole town is magical. Abby learns she is a witch and someone is trying to kill her. So to solve this she needs to know more about the past her mother kept from her. She also has a crush on the Chief of Police except he's not magical. It will be interesting to see how the story develops between the Chief and Abby and what mysteries things happen in the town.

*I received a
Gayle B
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Clever story about a ghost writer, who on the side. is writing her own novel about a witch...After Abby's mother dies, she discovers some magical things about herself, her family and the town she lives in. But greed and jealousy may be the end to Abby's new life. This was a great mystery with a supernatural twist. Likeable characters, a romantic opening and an interesting ending, will make for another great series by Carolyn Ridder Aspenson. I can't wait for the next book in this series.

I
Carole Craddock
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful new cozy series with memorable characters, adorable talking pets, and a magical tone that kept me reading until the end and wanting more. I fell in love with this wonderful storyline immediately. Abby Odell is a witch. This is a total surprise to her, she never knew until her mother told her just before she passed. I immediately liked Abby, and loved following this story and getting to know her. Abby will be involved in many mysteries in the future as this is a fantastic ...more
Thomas
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Abby Odell finds out that she's a witch at the time her mother dies. Her powers show up as they had been hidden for her entire life.

Now someone want to kill her so they can have her powers.

With the help of her mom's longtime friend, Bessie help Abby understand her powers, and help guide her in the first steps of the new magical world that Abby now lives in.

Oh yeah, if all that's not weird enough? her cat can actually talk to her also.
Bobbi
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby is going through a rough spot, she is mourning the loss of her Mother. She is confused and sad. She just found out that she is a witch and her cat Cooper can talk. Cooper steals the show, he is funny and has a BIG personality. Loved that this is the start of a whole new series. The world building is great and the characters are well defined. Really enjoy Carolyn Ridder Aspenson’s books and cannot wait to read the next book in this series.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
What would you do if you all of a sudden found out that you were a powerful witch and this wasn’t the only secret your mother was keeping. All of these came to light when Abby’s mother died. On top of that, someone is trying to kill Abby. As I’ve come to expect from Carolyn Ridder Aspenson the characters are interesting and the mystery is well plotted. Abby and her town are a great new series.
Angel Ballard
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No time to mourn. The death of a parent rarely ever stops affecting those who lost the one they dearly loved. The emotions are raw and even time doesn't ease the pain for many. But for the leading character in this story, she rarely gets a chance to even let it sink in that her mother is gone b/c someone wants her dead and they are relentless! Great fast-moving story that has loads of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing at who the baddie is.
Barb Foerst
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
Abby Odell is the new witch in town. Her mother recently died and as a bonus Abby’s now found she is a witch. Abby is a ghost writer who writes, funny thing, a series about witches. In addition, she has found out she has an aunt and uncle she didn’t know about. And now she’s being chased by a wolf?

Great first story in a series. I love the characters and the setting. North Georgia mountains are the best. I should know – I live there. Just haven’t figured out who the witches are yet.
Donna
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abigail is about to find out that writing about witches is completely different than being one. Abigail finds out she is a witch after her aunt passes away. Her uncle may be trying to kill her to take her powers. She has to finish the book she is ghost writing, figure out her powers, and solve her aunt’s murder. This book is a fun cozy mystery that will make you laugh and leave you guessing till the end.
Elaine
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby O'Dell, loses her mom.. things begin to happen things she never dreamed of. In fact- things Abby believes to be fiction
While Abby is grieving over her mom- she is learning new things about herself.. such as she is a witch.... this was a fun fast read.. a witch who can twitch her nose for fun magic to make it happen..
This was truly a fast read a fun read I enjoyed it looking forward to more books in this series this author does some really good work I love her books..
Diane
Fun new series!

I really enjoyed this first book in a new storyline. This is a 27 year old that is just learning she is a witch. The characters are well defined with room to grow. The conversations are natural and the plot and subplots move quickly. This is different from other storylines by this author and is very enjoyable. Can't wait for more!
Leah Hines
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great fast paced first book in a new cozy mystery series. Abby's life changes with the death of her mother and her eyes are opened to the magical world around her. This has humor and mystery set in an unusual town. Great characters, including the animals had me reading straight through. I can't wait to see what happens next.
Tammy Hudson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story Abby finds out she's a witch when her mom dies and there are people who want to kill her and take her powers but she comes into her own and learns about her family and her powers. I can't wait for the next book. I recommend this

I received a copy from the author for a honest opinion these thoughts are my own
Jennifer Wertz
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There's a New Witch In Town is a fantastic book! I loved it. It is interesting and fun. It is mysterious and magical. I love the main character Abby. And Cooper and Mr Charming. The book is well written with detailed characters. There are so many twists and surprises that keep you guessing to the very end. The book is engaging and impossible to put down. This a wonderful new series.
Sandy
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start to what promises to be a delightful new series. When Abby’s mother dies, she learns that she was a witch...and so is Abby. These characters are lively and the book is well written. There are plenty of twists, turns and red herrings. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series. I received a free copy of this book and chose to make a voluntary, unbiased review.
Molly
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
With the death of her mother, a new self, new skills and powers, and a different world revealed themselves to her.

Big problem? Knowing who and what to trust- and knowing that your truth could put life long friends in danger

There’s a new witch in town- and things are getting real - and really lethal!

• Stirring Up Love and Mystery: A Valentine's Day Mystery Collection
  • Mooved to Murder (A Chelsea Lawson Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Address For Murder: A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery
  • Stamped Out (A Mail Carrier Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Witchy Orders (Witches of Shadow Lane #2)
  • Sparks and Landmarks (Mitzy Moon #4)
  • A Field Guide to Homicide (Cat Latimer Mystery #6)
  • Curses and Candy Canes: A Paranormal Mystery Christmas Anthology
  • Holiday Roast Mortem
  • Dead to the Last Drop
  • Flea Market Magic (Southern Relics Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Mudflaps and Murder (Witches of Keyhole Lake Mysteries # 11)
  • The Case of the Happiness Spell: A Hillcrest Witch Mystery (Hillcrest Witch Cozy Mystery Book 13)
  • Southern Magic Wedding (Sweet Tea Witch Mysteries #16)
  • Rags To Witches (Southern Relics Cozy Mysteries Book 2)
  • Frosted Croakies (Enchanting Inquiries Book 5)
  • Happily Hereafter: A Paranormal Cozy Mystery (Eastwind Witches Cozy Mysteries #13)
  • Love Hertz (Silver Hills Cozy Mysteries Book 9)
Carolyn Ridder Aspenson writes sassy, southern cozy mysteries and featuring imperfect women with a flair for telling it like it is. Her stories focus on relationships whether they’re between friends, family members, couples, townspeople or strangers because ultimately, it’s relationships that make a story.

Now an empty-nester, she lives in the Atlanta suburbs with her husband, two Pit Bull-Boxer