Start by marking “The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment

The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment

A lover in and of the darkness ...
Violaine, a devotee of books and learning, is sold by her father to a mysterious nobleman to become his companion. Fearing herself at the mercy of a monster, Violaine instead succumbs to the seductive spell of her magical new home, and the love of a man she has never seen, who comes to her only in the darkness of night.
The Château de
Published February 4th 2020 by D. X. Varos, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment

Start your review of The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment
Dan
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
My rating for this is actually in the 3.5 to 3.75 range. When evaluating that rating, keep in mind that my average rating over almost 900 books is 3.01.

I received a review copy of this book from the publisher at the author's request. The scheduled release date is February 4, 2020.

I remember watching Disney's Beauty and the Beast countless times with my kids when they were much younger, so it's not surprising that the beginning of The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment would seem very
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
Is this a Beauty and the Beast retelling?

Also I'm such a sucker for captivity romances LOL
Jason Pettus
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Back when I was writing book reviews for a living, I found myself rather charmed by Therese Doucet's 2011 debut novel, the semi-autobiographical "reformed Mormon finally learns about the big wide world" tale A Lost Argument (see my review); so I was pleased a few weeks ago to accept a review copy of her latest, The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment by the brand-new genre small press DX Varos, despite the fact that it's a style of story I usually don't read by choice for pleasure. I was ...more
Ella
This is a retelling of the well-known "Beauty and the Beast" intended for a mature audience. The main character, Violaine, is a widow who is forced to live in a magical castle as the companion of a mysterious Marquis because her father needs the money the Marquis has promised in exchange. The story takes place in France during the age of the enlightenment and is told in first person, from Violaine's point of view.

Violaine is a feminist of her own time, a free thinker like the friends she make
Sara Snarr
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Doucet is a gifted story teller. She pulls the reader swiftly along on this retelling of Beauty and the Beast, especially in the second half as things start to unravel. She sets her tale in 17th century Savoy among attendees of the Parisian philosophical salons which introduces interesting new twists to an old tale. I wanted to give this new novelist's book four stars--she is clearly an amazing writer and her creativity provided much to think about. I particularly enjoyed her setting--the hidden ...more
♕ rayne ♕
Jan 26, 2020 is currently reading it
Shelves: from-publisher, own
Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

instagram | blog |goodreads
Lorran Garrison
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder what Belle in Beauty and the Beast would be like in an adult-themed story? Not a cartoon, but a woman, with needs and desires?

The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment by Therese Doucet is the tale of Violaine twenty-seven, widowed, and mother of two near Vaud, Switzerland, in the Age of Enlightenment. She loses the bookshop that her and her late husband owned, sold by her father to a mysterious Marquis.

The Marquis finds a beloved book by Violaine, filled with poems written by
Michael Austin
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment is a remarkable work of fiction that manages to be a number of things at once: it is (among many other things) a variation on a popular fairy tale, a novel of manners, a good adventure story, and a philosophical tale. And it takes place in a well-researched historical setting with an environment, and a society, that the author holds with obvious esteem and affection.

Let’s unpack all of this a little bit, keeping nasty spoilers to a minimum.

The novel
Therese
Author's note - The first chapter of the novel was featured as an excerpt in Embark Literary Journal. It's available here.

Advance praise:

"Political, social, and psychological insights accompany Violaine's journeys to keep readers immersed in a story that defies easy categorization. From romance and fairy tale allusions to historical and philosophical foundations, The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment may best be described as a surreal journey through the changing, challenging world of the
Rhianna Gale
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMGGG

I have FALLEN in love with this book, OVER, and OVER again! I am just madly in love OMG. I can't even think right now, that's how in love I am. I'm going to have to revisit this review in the near future to touch up, and give an actual review. But for now, I am going to sit here and wait for my very own Marquis, to come and rescue me.

*Thank you Therese and her publisher for being ever so kind, as to send me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*
Erin Figueiredo
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting Read!

This was definitely a very interesting story, more of an adult retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I was not sure if the story would grip me and keep me interested and entertained, but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. The story has suspense, intrigue and lots of romance to keep you captivated and highly entertained. It was a great story.
Natalie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I wasnt sure if I would like this story when I started reading this but I was pleasantly surprised.

This is a retelling of my favourite Disney movie. Beauty and the beast.

It has the romance and the suspense and everything you want and need in a retelling.

Rachel C.
Beauty and the Beast retelling with Age of Enlightenment principles, as promised on the tin.
Ekaiserattoe
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Intelligent and very, very entertaining. Can’t wait for a sequel!!
Raven  Prophet
Jan 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
Cupid and Psyche Retelling?
D. X.
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely exquisite period piece with just a hint of magic.
Danielle Stonehirsch
Xandraa
Dec 16, 2019

• Chasing Sunshine
  • Death Warden
  • Three (Count to Ten #3)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Two (Count to Ten #2)
  • Predictive
  • Mortal Engines (The Hungry City Chronicles, #1)
  • One Taste of You
  • Wrong Side of Wright
  • Beach Lover: A sexy short story thriller with suspense, twists, turns, murder and mystery (Run, Girl, Run! Book 1)
  • R.I.P. Parts 1 and 2
  • Peer Gynt
  • The Pixie Fix
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River, #1)
  • Tales of the Sea Witch
  • Rule #1: You Can't Date the Coach's Daughter (The Rules of Love #1)
  • Rancher's Wild Secret (Gold Valley Vineyards, #1)
  • One (Count to Ten #1)
My historical novel with magical realist elements, "The Prisoner of the Castle of Enlightenment," was published by D.X. Varos in February 2020. I'm also the author of "A Lost Argument: A Latter-Day Novel," published through my own Strange Violin Editions micropress imprint in 2011.

My fiction and creative nonfiction have appeared in literary magazines including Embark, Hotel Amerika, and Bayou