Start by marking “World War II” as Want to Read:
World War II

World War II

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  234 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Beginning with the events that led to its outbreak, "World War II" goes on to introduce the main leaders and highlight the decisive moments. From Pear Harbor, Midway, and the Atlantic to fighting in Russia and in the desert, outstanding and original photography provides a unique glimpse of the tragedies that led to the loss of more than 50 million lives.
Hardcover, [With Clip-Art CD], 72 pages
Published June 25th 2007 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published September 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about World War II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War II

Colin_weeks123
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
My opinion on the book world war 2 by Simon Adams published in 2007 was a non fiction book i personally like it, if you are someone who likes studying war or like learning facts about wars i highly recommend it.the main conflict was the war.the setting of this book is in Germany and also America it was also in the 1930's and 40's.one of the things i like about this book is the card the card was actually a map they use to hide under the card and it would fold open when they wanted to use it.
Natasha Jones
Did you know that "throughout the war, many men and women braved their lives by entering enemy-occupied countries. They went to spy on the invading forces, work with resistance fighters, and carry out acts of sabotage to foil enemy plan" (pg 26) Eyewitness:World War 2 features information about the events that took place during world war 2. There is information on the people involved, the clothing certain soldiers wore and something we don't hear too often: what the women were doing around this ...more
Isaac Santos
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this book had a lot of good information but in my opinion was boring, if you are doing a world war 2 book report it would be good because of all the information it has.It talks about how the war started and ended and everything that happened during the war.
Mark
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a realy good book
Lucy
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always with this series, the text is skimpy and sketchy, but adequate. The photos are what makes the book worthwhile. A very good supplement to any study of the period. Aimed at older children, but a good book for adults as well.
Includes a glossary for terms that may be unfamiliar. Most adults should know them, but sometimes it's a good reminder to have them defined.
Includes a timeline to clarify when things happened. Also ways to find out more: places to visit, museums, websites.
Recommended.
Miguel
This book was very informational. This book thought me things I did not know until I read this book. I didn't know that Japan was working with Hitler. I also didn't know that when a german soldier was captured, that they were treated with respect and were not abused. This book also told me of the different weapons and artillery each side used. I recommend this book if you like America's history of war.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK I know these are supposed to be kid books but they are awesome! Great pictures and just enough text to make you want to learn more. Great choices for a beginning history reader or to start an older reader out in a new area. Every time I pick one of these up and read it I learn new things. Did you know that German women during the war were awarded medals based on the number of children they had to replenish the German Army. Highly Recommended
Mashmc
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our kids have a whole set of these books, but I've steered clear of them mostly because of the magazine-like format. Will brought this home and I picked it up one night and couldn't put it down. The content is choppy, but the pictures are amazing and the writing feels balanced. This was a difficult topic to aim at school-age children, and yet it didn't feel too gory or too saccharine. I learned a whole lot and I recommend it as a great cliff notes on WWII.
Timothy Boyd
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duane
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For someone wanting to introduce WW2 to young readers, this is a great starter book. Filled with amazing photographs, the reader can slowly turn pages and see how the work began, continued and ended for so many different ages and genres of people. Great book for all ages but mostly suited to preteens.
Ethangd96
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-tri
This book is all about WWII. It shows lots of facts and things that nobody would ever know.This book is also great for people to right a report on it and shows definitely. It also has a lot about the depression and how it started and ended. Adolf Hitler was a man slaughterer and he was a very bad person but, in German people heads.....he was the Fuhrer.

Michael Delgado
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. From the start of the war, to propaganda posters, to the atomic bomb explosions in Japan, I enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in World War II. I really wish I could read this book all over again, and get some more facts.
Charlie
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more of a reference book. I'm trying to read it as a novel, but it's just so hard, because its set up with pictures and different information scattered accross the pages in no particular order.
محمد  الخواص
بالرغم من انه
اجمالى غير تفصيلى
امتاعى غير تاصيلى
الا انه
رائع من غير تحليلى
مفضل من غير تأويلى

بمعنى انه يزودك بصور ومعلومات اساسية ومحورية فى الاحداث الا انها لا تغنى عن اى تفاصيل ولا تكتفى بها

Luca
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was really good. It taught me some things that I didn't know or see before in my life.
Karissa
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome information! Loved the pictures and graphics. I learned a lot of things that I hadn't known before.
PWRL
Oct 09, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Matty
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ww2, photo
Like all Eyewitness Books, this one is awesome & has great photos.
Kamvball
Oct 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nice brief history of most of the important events that happened during the war.
Timothy
Mar 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Good information for a nice short and sweet quick read
Michael
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
DK books rule.
Jhonathan
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
so cool its better than the other book
Wilde Sky
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book contains details about WWII.

I quite enjoyed this book, it was a bit superficial and was a bit chaotic (in terms of layout) but it still contained some interesting details.
Quinn Rollins
Oct 18, 2014
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Sep 07, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dinosaur (DK Eyewitness)
  • Ancient Rome
  • Medieval Life
  • A Picture Book of Anne Frank
  • Knight
  • Viking
  • Shark
  • Crystal & Gem
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • Battle
  • Danger in the Darkest Hour (Magic Tree House Super Edition #1)
  • Attack on Pearl Harbor
  • True Stories of the Second World War
  • Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor
  • Gandhi
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide
  • Aztec, Inca, and Maya
  • Ancient Egypt
Simon Adams is a writer and editor of children’s non-fiction and reference books. He specializes in history, politics and current affairs and has written extensively on exploration, music and the arts. He is also a well established jazz critic and reviewer. Simon has also contributed to family and adult reference books and has been an editorial consultant on various history and other titles.
Simon
More about Simon Adams...