Start by marking “The Faith Machine” as Want to Read:
The Faith Machine

The Faith Machine

(ESPionage)

0.00  ·  Rating details ·  0 ratings  ·  1 review
Welcome to the dangerous, clandestine world of ESPionage. Welcome to The Strip, where operatives on the fringe command teams of ‘Cards’: Agents cursed with subtle, specialized, and sometimes sloppy psychic powers. Dr Ken Park, Korean-American psychologist and spy, dares to lead six of these Cards. Together, they tackle esoteric threats the Department of Homeland Security c ...more
Paperback, 1st, 392 pages
Expected publication: April 6th 2020 by Running Wild Press

To ask other readers questions about The Faith Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Faith Machine

·  0 ratings  ·  1 review

Start your review of The Faith Machine
Tone
Nov 04, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I'll use this space to talk about where this book came from.

It started with Jon Ronson's book about Cold War psychic warfare programs, The Men Who Stare at Goats. (Fantastic book, by the way.) It made me think, "What if these programs were still going on?"

That idea summered in the back of my head while I caught a TV series about people with extraordinary abilities. Particularly, the story of Derek Amato ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_A...) who hit his head while diving into a pool, and recovered with an intense musical talent through acquired savant syndrome. This is the inspiration for Ainia, the Latina with superior reflexes, and the whole concept of linking psychic powers and mental disorders.

During this time, I also caught the VICE documentaries on North Korea and Liberian warlords. Particularly, the story of General Buck Naked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General...) inspired the General.

The influences go on; Fleming, le Carré, Powers, Kindt, Maberry, etc and a lot of superhero tropes. Since Marvel has taken superheroes mainstream in such a big way, The Faith Machine is a small part of its deconstruction.

I'm currently working on the sequel, The Bliss Gun, which focuses on Agent 97:4. I also have the ESPionage Role-Playing Game in play test for the Fate Core system.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed (or will enjoy) The Faith Machine!