Start by marking “Wandering God: A Study in Nomadic Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Wandering God: A Study in Nomadic Spirituality

Wandering God: A Study in Nomadic Spirituality

The third book in Morris Berman's much acclaimed trilogy on the evolution of human consciousness, Wandering God continues his earlier work which garnered such praise as "solid lessons in the history of ideas" (KIRKUS Reviews), "filled with piquant details" (Common Boundary), and "an informative synthesis and a remarkably friendly, good-natured jeremiad" (The Village ...more
Published February 17th 2000 by State University of New York Press (first published 2000)

Start your review of Wandering God: A Study in Nomadic Spirituality
Guy
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: multiple-reads
Perhaps the best of the 'Re-Enchantment' trilogy, but which cannot really be read and fully appreciated unless Re-Enchantment and Senses are read. These books, when read with John Ralston Saul's, provide a foundation with which one can begin to question our naked emperors. One of my top 10 must read books.
Corbett
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Become familiar with "horizontal awareness" vs "vertical awareness," the Sacred Authority Complex, the modern west's crazed obsession for "certainty," (which is what happens when culture is removed from Nature), and the potential benefits of choosing to live in paradox and "diffuse alertness," as (Berman claims) humans had for 99% of our evolutionary existence (as hunter gatherers). I read and enjoyed Re-Enchantment of the World years ago. Looking forward to Coming to Our Senses. This is a top ...more
Bill Bridges
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Incredibly well-researched and with a fascinating argument about hunter-gatherer consciousness. I'm not sure I accept it, though. He makes a persuasive case that what we've been thinking of as religious/mystical/shamanic art in the Paleolithic might well be rather secular, but I don't think that's evidence that archetypal psychology isn't drawing on universal patterns. Something to ponder.
Ken Hastings
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ken by: Babaclay Hathor
An important read for anyone who would like to better understand themselves and the world we live in. Whether you agree with his analysis or not you're sure to gain valuable insights into the human condition.
Claudio
Provocativo, preclaro, incisivo. En un análisis que no me dejó de sorprender, Morris Berman tira por la borda todo lo que creía sobre la necesidad humana de trascendencia. Baste decir que tras leerlo me hizo mirar la vida de otra forma, cosa que pocos libros logran.
Karen Hyatt
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Superb end to his trilogy.
Michael Horsman
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
read it a long time ago. challenges several assumptions about human nature which are often used to rationalize our extreme market culture.
Patrick Wolff

• Aghora III
  • Searching for Vedic India
  • Analyzing Karma : Fate or Free Will: Fate or Free Will
  • Fight Club
  • The Construction of Religious Boundaries: Culture, Identity and Diversity in the Sikh Tradition
  • Trainspotting
  • Autobiography of a Yogi
  • A Wizard of Earthsea
  • Crossing Open Ground
  • Die Wise: A Manifesto for Sanity and Soul
  • The One-Straw Revolution
Distinguished cultural historian and social critic Morris Berman has spent many years exploring the corrosion of American society and the decline of the American empire. He is the author of the critically acclaimed works The Twilight of American Culture, a New York Times Book Review "Notable Book," and Dark Ages America."