Start by marking “Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas” as Want to Read:
Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  7,866 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
This popular anthology of twentieth-century art theoretical texts has now been expanded to take account of new research, and to include significant contributions to art theory from the 1990s. New edition of this popular anthology of twentieth-century art-theoretical texts. Now updated to include the results of new research, together with significant contributions from the ...more
Published September 23rd 2002 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published 2002)

Jana
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theory, art, reference
Goes without saying... as this is the standard reference (at least back in my day). It's different than other reference books (I guess some wouldn't even call it that) in that it has parts or wholes of the original sources with a short abstract prefacing each. Also, the selections are grouped not only by periods but by ideas within periods such as "Objecthood and Redctivism" (within Modernism) or "The Critique of Originality" (within Postmodernism). Enough heady material for years of excavation ...more
Harlan Vaughn
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
It hit me, but felt like a kiss.
Mafe Pazos
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MIND-BLOWING. Harrison's compilation catalogues the progression of discourse on the nature of form versus content, the formation of the historical perspective and the nuances present in the development of ideas through the art discussion and its significance to the understanding of existence and the search for meaning.

Beginning with the idolization of Cezanne and the rise of Expressionism, the conversation traverses down the path of Futurists, Social Realists, Neoclassicists and even Dadaists,
Chris
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a visual art major in grad school and teacher, this book is a necessity when writing papers for art history, criticism and critiques because it offers insights from some of the best artists and critics of the age. A lot of the articles require extra research to comprehend, however, after reading and researching most of this (very thick) book, I have learned a great deal about theories and ideas I never knew existed in Art. This will stay on my book shelf for the rest of forever.
David Williamson
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Possible the most important book I own, if you're into art, this is your Bible and shame on you if you do not own it.
Eleanor
Jul 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
unbelievably hard to read (i came accross the word altermondialisation - stupid bourriard and his stupid made-up words) but unfortunately this book is invaluable to any artist/art-student.
Brianne
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
a meaty read. LOTS of artist statements and writings on their own work. This is a collection of manifestos, reviews and essays that's unmatched by anything else i've seen. thorough and engrossing
Meegan Mjåtvedt
and by read, I mean I use it as a book press
Isaac Rojas
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It works for the understanding of how the elements of art have been forged throughout time by word and writing of the most influential personalities in their historic context, but as a dilettante on art history it would have been much helpful something more chronological. Anyways, surely this is a must be for students on the matter or anyone who wants to dig on the essentials.
Mayank Singh
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
Pablo Picasso
Shaun Johnson
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading this entire book felt like an achievement. Near the end it was harder to read because mid-way I decided that art critics are boring. And they are. They just ramble on and on and on and on. The real jewel of this book is the text by artists themselves, their symposiums, and their interviews. As an artist myself I felt a profound kinship with this text. This book also introduced to me artists I knew little (or nothing) about, their movements, their politics, and their theories. It is not o ...more
Julia
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Очень полезная книга, позволяющая непосредственно познакомиться с мыслями, программами, лозунгами, письмами - документами, написанными мастерами каждого конкретного направления. Я, конечно, весь этот труд осилить не смогла, только треть. Но книга на это и не рассчитана: с ней надо работать, когда хочешь понять суть эпохи, стиля. Ознакомился с вступительной статьей к разделу, прочитал двадцать страниц писем/заметок и прочего - сразу все становится проще, ближе и понятнее. Обязательно буду возвращ ...more
Tshepang Tshepo
Jul 21, 2015 marked it as to-read
same day I was going with my friends to the park.by the way we were talking about how are we gonna run our own business so we took a big cardbord so that we can come with our own plan.and that plan took 5day using our own brin.so it was painfull for us bet look were I'm I I'm standing hare like a small boy without knowing much more thing so now I'm having my own business I implore many people to work for m .we must not be like ZUMA let just improve our South Africa if u or I be a precedent in S. ...more
Cate Brooks
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an incredible resource for anyone wanting to contextualize modern-contemporary art and who doesn't know where to start. The excerpts in it are the most valuable primary reources you will find in one place ranging from artists' statements, on all the wild movements during this exciting century, to contemporary criticism like that of Greenberg and Fry. The text is thick and painful at times but so rewarding. It offers the most pure perspective and explanation of these ideas from those who ...more
Mary Emily O'Hara
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Art in Theory is not a book you "currently read" or finish, really. It's a constantly accessible resource that allows a peek into any given intellectual era within the bounds of its temporal bracketing. I'm always checking it for references, then re-checking it for ideas, then combing it for inspiration. MUST HAVE ON DESK AT ALL TIMES. Thank you.
Lynne
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Not the type of book I could read cover to cover, yet full of pivotal moments in art from 1900-2000. I find myself dipping in and out whenever a new interest or area of art captures my attention. It was purchased as a mandatory text for the theory component of my art degree, but remains a staple on my bookshelf.
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I haven't read this entire book, but I've read a number of the essays in it. It is full of a lot of very interesting art concepts and lots of interesting points of view. It really stretches the artist's mind!
elmira
Apr 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: prospective art historians to analyze contemporary art, otherwise not worth the trouble
there are more than a couple of must read essays in Art In Theory, amazing writings by artists and art critics that are necessary to be discussed among artists and art historians mostly for one good reason, that these readings will confuse the artists in their art practice.
rosemary
Apr 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: art students
Shelves: art-history-crit
a fairly good compendium of excerpts from primary documents (and the entire text of some shorter pieces). it's a mostly useful go-to guide, but is probably more helpful as a skipping stone, an index to direct you towards the original sources.
Scott Tait
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Useful if you're studying art history or any art subject however it's not a light read. This is hardcore academic writing which could easily put you to sleep if your not careful. Thankfully the book his thick as a brick so could make a good cushion or a doorstop might be a good use for it.
Catherine
May 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Oh Art Theory... how I love thee but hate thee all at the same time. This book is a great resource and a must for any art historian. Filled with lots of great articles -- some great, some B.S., but still a good resource.
Danielle
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Lots of different insights about the theories behind the progression of art in the twentieth century. It is a difficult read at times, but wonderful.
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2011 marked it as abandoned-books
I should probably re-read this I one. Read it when I was 19 and had other things on my mind. From what I remember, though, it's incredibly thorough and really thought provoking.
Sally Whitman
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Should be on the bookshelf of every graduate student in art history - an essential compendium.
Ebm Dj
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book. IF you enjoy art, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up. Its great from page one till the end.
Jo Verbena
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
boredom
Cerese
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A grad school must for any MFA. Depressingly difficult to read. Depressingly difficult to digest. Most informative in the end.
Mya
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
way hard to read but very interesting if you can!
Hadley Norman
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good reference to have. It is my begining strep whenever doing research.
Winterwade
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this comprehensive and tireless text Harrison covers an immense spectrum of artistic ideals and approaches, excellently presented for an enthusiast or art (history) student.
Artipathy: Beginning at the End, Sort Of 1 1 Nov 03, 2014 08:56AM
  • After Modern Art, 1945-2000
  • Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists' Writings
  • Theories of Modern Art: A Source Book by Artists and Critics
  • The Anti-Aesthetic: Essays on Postmodern Culture
  • Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
  • After the End of Art: Contemporary Art and the Pale of History
  • Women, Art, and Society (World of Art)
  • Why Art Cannot be Taught: A Handbook for Art Students
  • The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa
  • Art as Experience
  • The Art of Art History: A Critical Anthology
  • Inside the White Cube: The Ideology of the Gallery Space
Charles Townsend Harrison, BA Hons (Cantab), MA (Cantab), PhD (London) was a prominent UK art historian who taught Art History for many years and was Emeritus Professor of History and Theory of Art at the Open University.

He was tutor in Art History, Open University, 1977-2005, Reader in Art History 1985-1994, Professor of the History & Theory of Art, 1994-2008, Professor Emeritus, 2008-2009; V
More about Charles Harrison...