Start by marking “Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas” as Want to Read:
Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas

Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas

This popular anthology of twentieth-century art theoretical texts has now been expanded to take account of new research, and to include significant contributions to art theory from the 1990s.
New edition of this popular anthology of twentieth-century art-theoretical texts. Now updated to include the results of new research, together with significant contributions from the
Published October 22nd 2002 by Wiley-Blackwell (first published 2002)

Start your review of Art in Theory 1900 - 2000: An Anthology of Changing Ideas
Jana
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, reference, theory
Goes without saying... as this is the standard reference (at least back in my day). It's different than other reference books (I guess some wouldn't even call it that) in that it has parts or wholes of the original sources with a short abstract prefacing each. Also, the selections are grouped not only by periods but by ideas within periods such as "Objecthood and Redctivism" (within Modernism) or "The Critique of Originality" (within Postmodernism). Enough heady material for years of excavation ...more
Harlan Vaughn
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
It hit me, but felt like a kiss.
Mafe Pazos
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MIND-BLOWING. Harrison's compilation catalogues the progression of discourse on the nature of form versus content, the formation of the historical perspective and the nuances present in the development of ideas through the art discussion and its significance to the understanding of existence and the search for meaning.

Beginning with the idolization of Cezanne and the rise of Expressionism, the conversation traverses down the path of Futurists, Social Realists, Neoclassicists and even Dadaists,
Chris
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a visual art major in grad school and teacher, this book is a necessity when writing papers for art history, criticism and critiques because it offers insights from some of the best artists and critics of the age. A lot of the articles require extra research to comprehend, however, after reading and researching most of this (very thick) book, I have learned a great deal about theories and ideas I never knew existed in Art. This will stay on my book shelf for the rest of forever.
Catherine
May 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Oh Art Theory... how I love thee but hate thee all at the same time. This book is a great resource and a must for any art historian. Filled with lots of great articles -- some great, some B.S., but still a good resource.
Meg Mjaatvedt
and by read, I mean I use it as a book press
Eleanor
Jul 22, 2010 rated it did not like it
unbelievably hard to read (i came accross the word altermondialisation - stupid bourriard and his stupid made-up words) but unfortunately this book is invaluable to any artist/art-student.
David Williamson
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Possible the most important book I own, if you're into art, this is your Bible and shame on you if you do not own it.
Brianne Walasek
Aug 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
a meaty read. LOTS of artist statements and writings on their own work. This is a collection of manifestos, reviews and essays that's unmatched by anything else i've seen. thorough and engrossing
Isaac Rojas
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
It works for the understanding of how the elements of art have been forged throughout time by word and writing of the most influential personalities in their historic context, but as a dilettante on art history it would have been much helpful something more chronological. Anyways, surely this is a must be for students on the matter or anyone who wants to dig on the essentials.
Martin Ridgway
A useful guide through the last century of art, even if some of the readings are tedious and pretentious in the extreme. Notwithstanding that, the section and extract introductions are clear and useful. Again, thematic rather than chronological layout.
Yair Martinez
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a psychological book
Mayank Singh
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
Pablo Picasso
NONATION
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
art and teory is really good
Doris Raines
Shelves: fiction
Amazing
Shaun Johnson
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reading this entire book felt like an achievement. Near the end it was harder to read because mid-way I decided that art critics are boring. And they are. They just ramble on and on and on and on. The real jewel of this book is the text by artists themselves, their symposiums, and their interviews. As an artist myself I felt a profound kinship with this text. This book also introduced to me artists I knew little (or nothing) about, their movements, their politics, and their theories. It is not ...more
Cate Brooks
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an incredible resource for anyone wanting to contextualize modern-contemporary art and who doesn't know where to start. The excerpts in it are the most valuable primary reources you will find in one place ranging from artists' statements, on all the wild movements during this exciting century, to contemporary criticism like that of Greenberg and Fry. The text is thick and painful at times but so rewarding. It offers the most pure perspective and explanation of these ideas from those who ...more
Tshepang Tshepo
Jul 21, 2015 marked it as to-read
same day I was going with my friends to the park.by the way we were talking about how are we gonna run our own business so we took a big cardbord so that we can come with our own plan.and that plan took 5day using our own brin.so it was painfull for us bet look were I'm I I'm standing hare like a small boy without knowing much more thing so now I'm having my own business I implore many people to work for m .we must not be like ZUMA let just improve our South Africa if u or I be a precedent in ...more
Lynne
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Not the type of book I could read cover to cover, yet full of pivotal moments in art from 1900-2000. I find myself dipping in and out whenever a new interest or area of art captures my attention. It was purchased as a mandatory text for the theory component of my art degree, but remains a staple on my bookshelf.
Mary Emily O'Hara
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Art in Theory is not a book you "currently read" or finish, really. It's a constantly accessible resource that allows a peek into any given intellectual era within the bounds of its temporal bracketing. I'm always checking it for references, then re-checking it for ideas, then combing it for inspiration. MUST HAVE ON DESK AT ALL TIMES. Thank you.
rosemary
Apr 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: art students
Shelves: art-history-crit
a fairly good compendium of excerpts from primary documents (and the entire text of some shorter pieces). it's a mostly useful go-to guide, but is probably more helpful as a skipping stone, an index to direct you towards the original sources.
Scott Tait
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Useful if you're studying art history or any art subject however it's not a light read. This is hardcore academic writing which could easily put you to sleep if your not careful. Thankfully the book his thick as a brick so could make a good cushion or a doorstop might be a good use for it.
elmira
Apr 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: prospective art historians to analyze contemporary art, otherwise not worth the trouble
there are more than a couple of must read essays in Art In Theory, amazing writings by artists and art critics that are necessary to be discussed among artists and art historians mostly for one good reason, that these readings will confuse the artists in their art practice.
Stephanie K
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
I haven't read this entire book, but I've read a number of the essays in it. It is full of a lot of very interesting art concepts and lots of interesting points of view. It really stretches the artist's mind!
Octavius Neveaux
Jun 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who cares for art
i keep reading it over and over for the past 7 years
I'm fuckin' gaga for this book
Emily
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I find it helpful to have many of these essays and articles located in one place. I particularly liked some of the writings by Donald Judd and Sol LeWitt.
Winterwade
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this comprehensive and tireless text Harrison covers an immense spectrum of artistic ideals and approaches, excellently presented for an enthusiast or art (history) student.
Meredith
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The bible. Ok, maybe not your bible...but mine.
Rachel
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish there was more summary about the different modernist movements, but a necessary anthology of short essays for the art enthusiast...
Artipathy: Beginning at the End, Sort Of 1 2 Nov 03, 2014 08:56AM

• Vitamin P: New Perspectives in Painting
  • Ways of Seeing
  • The Photo Book
  • Theories of Modern Art: A Source Book by Artists and Critics
  • The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility, and Other Writings on Media
  • Graffiti World: Street Art from Five Continents
  • Women, Art, and Society (World of Art)
  • Art as Experience
  • The Shock of the New
  • The Story of Art
  • The Last Nude
  • Goya
Charles Townsend Harrison, BA Hons (Cantab), MA (Cantab), PhD (London) was a prominent UK art historian who taught Art History for many years and was Emeritus Professor of History and Theory of Art at the Open University.

He was tutor in Art History, Open University, 1977-2005, Reader in Art History 1985-1994, Professor of the History & Theory of Art, 1994-2008, Professor Emeritus, 2008-2009;