Start by marking “The Hidden Horses of New York” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Horses of New York

The Hidden Horses of New York

Jenny’s a horsewoman, born and bred. Aidan’s a photographer, with a passion for sleek thoroughbreds. Lana has business brains and start-up cash. Together, they’re going to bring horse racing’s best stories to life. Best friends working on a passion project together: it could be the perfect post-grad life in New York City… if only Jenny wasn’t hopelessly in love with Aidan. ...more
Kindle Edition, First, 377 pages
Published November 26th 2019 by Natalie Keller Reinert

Start your review of The Hidden Horses of New York
Kathy
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Different than her other novels, but just as much heart.

I’ve been a fan since I read Natalie’s first book (the scene with the hurricane hitting Ocala had my looking up from my Kindle at the sky every couple of lines, fully expecting to see a storm heading my way). I love her Eventing series, her Show Barn Blues series, and her Alec and Alex series. So this was an auto buy for me.

A couple of pages in, it was clear that this book had a very different style - but I had as hard a time putting it d
Mary Pagones
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who has ever been in New York--indeed, in any city--has had the unexpected thrill of seeing a horse, either pulling a carriage full of tourists, or working as part of a mounted patrol. But the presence of horses in New York goes beyond even that. Reinert's latest book is a reminder of how even in the most urban of landscapes, horses are still a vital part of city-dweller's lives, and perhaps we shouldn't be so surprised to see horses in the city. Through the eyes of Jenny, a recent colleg ...more
Susanfxtrt
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Depth, Soul, Happiness, Reality, Love, Parents

A must read book for all, especially us horse addicts, no matter what breed or what sport. Well written, the reader skins the pages wondering how it will work out.
Jessica Burkhart
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A horse lover’s delight! Full of heart and NYC grit. I loved exploring the hidden horses of NY with Jenny! Absolutely a new hit from Natalie Keller Reinert.
Diana
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, sports
Natalie Keller Reinert's newest is a highly topical return to racetrack literature--and a soaring love letter to New York racing in particular. While the novel's major plots entwine journalism start-ups and public perception with slaughter auctions and whistleblowing, the emotional core remains a girl and her horse. Jenny's journey from the training tracks and prep races of central and southern Florida through each of New York's racetracks mirrors that of her colt, Mr. November, en route to the ...more
Leah
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a rural New England girl, this story about horses hidden around one of the biggest cities in the world was pretty interesting. They way they are stabled, exercised, and vacationed was all pretty cool.

However, I sadly have to admit that I did not find the main character as interesting! Natalie's characters usually know what they want and lord help anyone who gets in their way. Jenny was definitely not the same strong personality and there were sections of the book where I was just thinking, g
Meghan
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, horse-books
NKR is my favorite contemporary equine author, and this latest installment doesn't disappoint! Stepping away from the eventing and showing world, we land in NYC. Jenny takes us through all the hidden side paths and boroughs that include and love horses... we see a softer side of the city through her eyes, and live her much understood divide between her city life and her racing roots.

Not fast paced, but perfectly paced for a thoughtful, horse-filled tour. Horse books with heart, it's what I came
J Alyn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A different kind of horse story

It's not about winning the big race although Jenny Hope's to do so. It's not about finding the love of your life although Jenny would very much like to do that too. What Jenny really wants to do is bridge the distrust between the racing world and the rest of the horse loving world. Will a blog featuring feelgood stories about exracehorses do it? Then she discovers all the awful things animal rights lovers use to discredit racing just might have some truth. What hap
Carmel Ann Sperti
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Horsey New York

Kudos to Reinert for bringing to light the hidden horse life of my home town! This novel spins around the racetrack, but touches on different aspects of the lives of the many kinds of horses and horse people in NYC. I have seen the best and the worst of the racetrack( which turned out to NOT be my dream job, much to my dismay, and the author paints clear picture through the idealistic eyes of horseman Jenny Wolfe. This book blends the right amounts of horses, romance, intrigue and
Laurie B Schaefgen
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well written and much needed

I have struggled with this topic since Ruffian's breakdown in 1975. I love TB horses and racing, but struggle with the outcomes for these horses. I love how Natalie faced the subject from both sides acknowledging good people caring for the horses. I wish Full Stride was a reality.
Kim Denise
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love the idea of "hidden horses" all over New York City, and the horsey parts of this book are wonderful. It's just that the horsey parts make up only a fraction of the book...and the rest of it is deadly dull.

What I'd really like to read is a sequel to this one, where Jenny actually gets on with her horsey life instead of spending every waking moment paralyzed by angst.
Corrina
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great fictional account of horse racing industry

I loved the plot and how this story played out. There was enough tension to keep me engaged and an important topic about the horse racing industry was skillfully addressed. The romantic tension was a little juvenile and the reason why Aiden left suddenly was never explained. Otherwise it was a great story.
Debby Gibson
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story

Very realistic story about horse racing and equestrian details so correct as well as dilemmas after college . Enjoyed from beginning to the end ..Would like to read more of mister s future races ,
The web idea great concept .
Pamela Chavez-Hutson
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable Adult Horse Novel

Adult horse adventure! Enjoyable well written, trackside novel about a real horseperson not a pony club novel. For once I was engaged in real life experience with a knowledgeable storyline .
Sara
Apr 12, 2020 added it
Great subject. From a very different angle.

The people involved throughout the story were interesting and believable. And with character traits that set them apart and made them very easy to get to know.
Squeekjudd
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for horse enthusiasts of any breed or style of riding. .

Anyone who has visited New York or who hopes to visit New York would likely find this interesting and a fun read
Kerry Johnson
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful horses

I loved the story line. I am a horsey person so I like to read about all the beautiful horses in this world. I would have given a 5 star rating except personally I do not care for bad language. I always think you can tell a story without bad words.
Lynn Porter
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A keeper

This book one retains to heal the wounds that were left by less gentle, caring ❤breakers.

I return again and again to reafirm my faith in good people, good writing.
Vicki
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved

Excellent characters, story flows along well, relationships too. Great way of incorporating horse and horsemanship also! Look forward to more.
Bobbi Pratt
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Read!

Yet again a winner's circle worthy story from one of my favorite authors!! Love it!! Please keep on being you and writing these great books!!!
Coree
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story

This is my favorite book by this author. Her story telling and writing style are spot on. I was sucked in and could not put it down !
Erin Woods
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Love everything I read from this author. Great knowledge of horses and can tell a fantastic story! Thank you! Waiting for more!
Donna Alderson
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love This

I had no idea about the hidden horses in NYC! I enjoyed the mix or racing and writing and the park services horses.
Jen
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hidden Horses of New York

Great stand alone book from one of my favourite equestrian authors! Though this is a stand alone book, I would love it if it became a series.
Tory
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging read about the backside of horse racing as well as the life of retired race horses, especially in New York City and upstate New York, with some plot twists and a little romance. The author's knowledge about horses shone through the story. Especially recommended for horse-loving readers.
W. Mark Treadwell
Dec 08, 2019
Elizabeth
Dec 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The October Horses (The October Horses, #1)
  • Courage to the Sticking Place (Fortune's Fool, #6)
  • Riding Above Air: Book Four in the Defining Gravity Series
  • Down The Centre Line
  • Adventures of the Horse Doctor's Husband
  • Freefall: Book Three in the Defining Gravity Series
  • Born in the Saddle (Born to Ride Series Book 1)
  • Backstretch Girls
  • Long Spot: The stakes are higher than ever... (Thornton House Stud Book 3)
  • Azarão: The Dark Horse (Austin Family Farm Book 1)
  • Taking Off (Equestrian Romance Series Book 3)
  • Muted
  • Defining Gravity (Defining Gravity Series Book 1)
  • Where the Bluegrass Grows (Equestrian Romance Series Book 1)
  • Horses Of The Rain (The Outback Riders Book 4)
  • Horses Of The Light (Outback Riders #2)
  • Flying Change: The Thorn House Stud Series
  • Flight: Book Two in the Defining Gravity Series
Author of contemporary equestrian fiction and historical romance.

After twenty years of working with countless horses in half-a-dozen disciplines, Natalie Keller Reinert settled down to write about Thoroughbreds. From the short stirrup classes at dusty hunter/jumper shows in Florida to the inner dirt at Aqueduct Racetrack in New York City, it's always been about the Thoroughbreds. Natalie lives in

News & Interviews