Start by marking “Sabotage” as Want to Read:
Sabotage

Sabotage

Published October 8th 2019 by The Pound Project

To ask other readers questions about Sabotage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sabotage

Start your review of Sabotage
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sabotage by Emma Gannon is the perfect self-help book for anyone. Sabotage explains how you are keeping yourself from reaching your full potential and how to stop.

Sabotage is a short read. There is a lot of important information and tips. All of the important tips from a longer self-help book are included with less stories.

I listened to part of the audiobook and read part of the book. I enjoyed both formats and didn’t have a strong preference. I thought Emma Gannon did a great job narrating. I t
anud-be
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy, did I just highlight every word of this book.
This book was very helpful. enlightening. informative.
A month ago I felt that I was sabotaging my life with some certain actions but I wasn't sure. Imagine my surprize to see this book included in the Netgalley library.
Now I know I was/still actuly self sabotaging and I'm at ease a bit to have such hepful tips to get me through my shady sabotagy behavior.
Thanks Emma Gannon. Thanks Netgalley.
Sara Jovanovic
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This piece of writing was a perfect starting point to explore some of the damaging ways we can sabotage our own happiness and success. Informative, sharp and observant, Emma's essay makes a clear point within minimum amount of pages.

Some of the most common ways when it comes to self-sabotage are explained, like procrastination, perfectionism, and an inner critic voice most of us deal with it. It offers some brief analysis, along with concrete tips on how to stop our sabotage, and I think it's a
Anika  | Chapters of May
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the quickest and easiest self-help book I’ve ever read and I loved it! I have a bad habit of procrastinating and losing motivation from doubt, so this was a super relatable read. I loved the honest real-life experiences too, at least I know I’m not the only one who can be a little hard on themselves. It made me realise there are so many ways I self-sabotage without even realising! I feel called out in the best possible way.

Even as a freelancer, there are bad habits I do almost every day
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5⭐️
Sabatoge to me means being sneaking with destruction. Like letting yourself believe something is going to work out and then purposely ruining it.
This was an audiobook narrated by the author and I felt like she did a good job. Her voice was pleasant and sincere. This isn’t a long book and some might think it to short, but I didn’t.
The author discusses in the book how a person might get in their own way and what that might look like. Also also talks about.....
• Life coaches and their adv
Niel (lonelectorem)
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Audiobook and I also thought that listening to Audiobooks compared to reading physical and eBooks might be different because as a reader I would never enjoy it as much as I enjoy reading words in lines. But it seems like even Audiobooks have their quality, I enjoy listening to this Audiobook, and not for a second, it felt any different from reading usual books. Emma Gannon's narration was very soothing and she has that encouraging and relaxing voice that made me feel matter to ...more
Mackenzie | Weekend Prose
Sabotage is Emma Gannon's pocket-sized (super practical!) expansion on her 2019 article for Elle titled 'The Truth About Self-Sabotage And Why We're Afraid Of Success'. Emma talks about her own experience with navigating her own inner saboteur, giving it a name, and moving through the things you want in life.

I personally love connecting with the Audiobook for any self-care literature, as I feel like I'm sitting down to coffee with my most insightful friend. Emma's narration was no exception; she
Bretta Williams
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sabotage by Emma Gannon is a perceptivel look at the destructive tendencies/behaviors most of us have, herself included.

Gannon lists classic self sabotage most of us are guilty of and recognize in ourselves, as well as less noticeable traits we have; procrastination and self-doubt. She really makes you think about the real motive behind your behavior. What triggers you to work against yourself? Is it fear? Is it insecurities? Do you even notice when you are doing it?

Not only does she provide pe
Flaka
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5☆

Gannon's short book or pamphlet points out some of the toxic traits most of us are guilty of. As she was struggling with those traits herself, her account comes of as real and relatable.

Some of the self-harming vices mentioned are self-sabotage, procrastination, self-doubt, and unfortunately a few more that I myself struggle with and definitely need to work on.

The content was fairly short and wasn't thoroughly explained. So, if read by a person who doesn't have these self harming vices, the
Khawla Al-Hosani
You can’t read this book without highlighter. A self-help book on how to silence your inner critic to live a better life and I couldn’t have read it at a better time!

A very short and quick read that’ll make you realise that you are stopping yourself from reaching your full potential by doubting yourself and listening to your inner critic.

I quite enjoyed this and recommend it to anyone who’s looking to get rid of that negative voice that constantly puts you down!
Charlotte Cantillon
I saw a quote from this book on twitter and instantly tracked it down. I am very grateful for this advanced audiobook.

I like a bit of self help. Not so much the woo-woo kind, but practical advice. I suffer from anxiety so I’m always looking for ways to help myself, not just to alleviate the symptoms.

This book is short and to-the-point and excellent on audio. She cites many professional and trustworthy sources and I found the advice at the end very helpful.
Kuleigh
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, alc
Emma Gannon does it again! This is a great short self-help guide to getting out of your head. Listening to this audiobook felt like a much-needed therapy session. Going into this book I didn’t necessarily think that I self-sabotaged but Emma points out how a quest for perfection can do just that. This book has lots of little takeaways from Gannon’s interviews with psychologists.
Ffion Molyneux
On the fence with this book, it’s generally really great in that it highlights some of the traits we all have that can hold us back and some good little tips to stop you from doing that, especially how to champion yourself rather than being self critical. Maybe because it’s a short essay I feel like it doesn’t have time to go too deep, a nice quick read though.
Marizaan
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend that everyone reads or listen this book. This book actually make me take notes and trying to follow them. Everything from how to deal with toxic friends to how to stop procrastinating is covered in this book. I absolutely love this book and I feel that it's quite helpful. ...more
Divya Khare
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
What an inspiring read. Loved it. I had first heard about this book from a friend and fortunately, I got the chance to read this via Netgalley. Thank You. It is a very life changing read. Beautifully narrated. I loved how this book touched my soul and helped me.
Sherry
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the approachability of the text and practicality of what to do. Worthwhile read.

This pairs nicely with Untamed.
Andrea (Hammock and Read)
Short and sweet along with to the point. There is nothing brand new but I did like how she didn't draw it all out It just made you think a bit about how you are doing with your life- and what you do and what you could and should change.

It has tips and insights that I think everyone would find useful, it wasn't preachy which I really liked compared to self-help books. She also touched on self-care and over doing it to not be doing things you should do. Using fear for good. Getting out of our hea
Sarah O'Riordan | travelseatsreads
Brief, succinct and to the point. This was a great gentle introduction to the concept of self sabotage, how to recognise it and how to avoid it.

I enjoyed that Emma gave some of her own real life examples and also gave quite specific tips and tricks to help avoid the normal pitfalls.

The audio for this was nicely paced and I found it the perfect length for the subject matter.
Emily
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, sweet and to the point. As a fan of Emma's Crtl Alt Delete podcast, and her recent novel Olive I was really keen to hear her views on this topic.
So much of this spoke to me, but one section in particular that I had never pondered, was how self-care can actually be an act of self sabotage eg. me putting off emails and tasks because "I need a rest day"...7 days a week....
I found myself going "oh gosh, I do that" and "damn, you're totally right" lots throughout this book, and it's motivated
Michelle Lovato
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Was Sabotage written for me? Ouch.

I told my therapist last Friday how deeply, Sabotage by Emma Gannon, changed my outlook on life.
Released in late September by Andrews McMeel Publishing, this non-fiction title fit my description of the perfect self-help book.
My perimeters? It helped.
I dislike those self-help authors who appear to think that filling my head with their lengthy resumes will somehow convince me to swallow their message hook, line and sinker.
Perhaps that is why I am seeing a therapi
Kathleen
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sabotage by Emma Gannon really came into my atmosphere at the perfect time. I'd been having a difficult week with general anxiety and with the added pressure of applying to graduate school, I'd been pretty hard on myself.

I'm a new fan of self-help books, so I was delighted to see this as an available option with NetGalley. The audiobook is short, concise, and full of some really insightful tidbits that definitely struck a chord with me. I actually listened to the entire book (it's just under tw
Jill Reads
Dec 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“Sabotage” by Emma Gannon is about how to get out of your own way in order to make your dreams come true.

Want to be an author, but can’t seem to start writing?
Want to start a business, but still working your dead-end job?
Want to read more books, but keep scrolling social media instead?

(You get the picture).

In this super-short book, you’ll learn Emma’s definition of self-sabotage, and various ways she’s gotten in her own way.

Pulling from her own experience, various thought leaders and her on
what ila reads
Thank you Netgalley, Andrews McMeel Publishing and Emma Gannon for my eARC in exchange for a honest review.

A brilliant essay that everyone should read and have a copy of nearby!

This book might be short but it packs so much knowledge, tips, insights that I think everyone would find useful, I certainly did.

Emma Gannon talks about toxic friendships and relationships and how those can push you towards self-sabotage, how to spot it and what to do about it. She talks about why sometimes the emotion
Shirsha
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sabotage" is an easily digestible, super helpful read about a habit that so many of us fall victim to, consciously and subconsciously. The book definitely spoke to me because it's an unfortunate habit that's become rather ingrained in my day-to-day behaviour. I felt both seen and called out.

What makes the book really relatable is the many personal examples that Emma peppers throughout her writing. There's this feeling that you get that even for someone so accomplished in her own ways, if she c
Cat
Emma Gannon offers practical and gentle advice to people--especially professionals and creatives--prone to self-sabotage, the action that many people take (unawares) when they are hurdling towards a positive outcome, and under the pretense of misplaced fear and reactive self-protection, fumble their performance by practicing toxic behaviour.

This was a great guide for people who may not even know they self-sabotage. It identifies possible behaviours that people may be using to sabotage themselve
Lilian
In one way or the other, we have all self-sabotaged, Whether it's staying up late scrolling on social instead of going to bed or flaked out on a networking event. Emma Gannon knows this too well and shares her experiences with self-sabotage and how she is coping with it. "Sabotage" may seem like a harsh word for framing this behaviour but it is actually instructive in getting the point across. But what better way of summing up the proverbial "burning down your own house"?

Gannon takes readers thr
Wendy
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been feeling like I'm sabotaging my successes at school and work for a couple of years now, and this brilliant little book couldn't have been more timely.

Sabotage is the perfect eye-opener for anyone who, like me, struggles with self-sabotage, procrastination and self-doubt. Although this audiobook is really short at less than two hours, it is surprisingly exhaustive in presentng all the relevant information on WHY and HOW we work against ourselves, even though we know what the right scti
Christina
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a quick read (or listen in case of audio) that makes the reader focus inward for validation and motivation.

The audiobook is read by the author, Emma Gannon. Emma is UK author that many in the US may not be familiar with. Of course she has a heavy British accent, but once you are accustomed to her voice, the message of the book is very beneficial.

Ms. Gannon explains why we sabotage ourselves as a means of self-defense and preservation, how to overcome those obstacles, and embrace all of
Nikki
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgally
Sabotage, How to Get Out of Your Own Wayby Emma Gannon
Narrated by Emma Gannon
Publisher: Andrews McMeel Audio, Andrews McMeel Publishing
Genre: Self-Help

This is the book I needed today (& will need again tomorrow). I know I struggle with self-sabotage and I have even identified my triggers and the behaviors that I use to sabotage myself with, but had not gotten to the root of WHY.

Listening to this audiobook & reading the ebook had helped me look at the 'why' a little differently. I will definitely
Daniella Harrison
I was really excited to listen to the audiobook of Emma Gannon’s latest non-fiction work, Sabotage. Thanks, NetGalley! This is a great book for anyone who needs some help to stop sabotaging themselves and elevate themselves, or their work in any way. It’s a pocket guide to improving how you think about yourself in such an algorithm driven world where it’s so easy to compare and have negative thoughts about yourself and your work.
I have read Emma’s first essay on this topic which was published by
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Failosophy: A Handbook For When Things Go Wrong
  • Whites: On Race and Other Falsehoods
  • My Life in Plants: Flowers I've Loved, Herbs I've Grown, and Houseplants I've Killed on the Way to Finding Myself
  • Ghosts