Start by marking “Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales

Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales

Twenty curses, old and new, from bestselling fantasy authors such as Neil Gaiman, Karen Joy Fowler, Christina Henry, M.R. Carey, and Charlie Jane Anders.

ALL THE BETTER TO READ YOU WITH

It's a prick of blood, the bite of an apple, the evil eye, a wedding ring, or a pair of red shoes. Curses come in all shapes and sizes, and they can happen to anyone, not just those of us wit
Published April 1st 2020 by Titan Books (first published March 3rd 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed

Start your review of Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Snow did not find him charming. When she looked into his dark, dark eyes she saw not the fizzy delight of charm but the flicker of a tongue through sharp teeth.
— Christina Henry, As Red As Blood, As White as Snow

Last year, this editing duo released the Wonderland anthology, which I raved about. It was a gorgeous collection and I had so much fun with it that, when I had the opportunity to read and review this new anthology, I jumped at the chance. I’m an absolute sucker for dark fairytale retelli
Dannii Elle
A plethora of renowned authors lent their voices and their brilliance to this creation of dark whimsy and nightmarish delights. Some I had read from and others I had yet to. All were unique in the concept, direction, and conclusion, with the only thread to link these short works being forbidding tone that emanated through each...

Here is a breakdown of the contents and my individual ratings:

Castle Cursed by Jane Yolen (poem) - 3/5 stars
As Red as Blood, as White as Snow by Christina Henry - 3/5 st
Marquise
A very mixed bag of an anthology, as some of the stories seem to shoehorn the "dark" aspect in a bit too forcefully, and others are simply not well developed.

For me, only one of the stories stood out: Christina Henry's As Red as Blood, As White as Snow, a flawed retelling of "Snow White" that quite misses the point of this tale and reads more like a retelling of "Bluebeard" with borrowed costume from "Snow White;" the stepmother and the apple, namely, which isn't enough to claim it's a retellin
Lauren
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I just wanted to state even though I gave this book as a whole 3 stars. There was 4 stories within this collection that I would whole heartedly give 4 stars each and they are: As Red As Blood, As White As Snow by Christina Henry, Wendy, Darling by Christopher Golden, Fairy Werewolf vs. Vampire Zombie by Charlie Jane Anders and New Wine by Angela Slatter. These four stories in particular I loved and definitely feel they deserve 4 stars.
Cheryl
Jan 09, 2021 rated it liked it

Fairytales rewritten with liberties aplomb. New creations shutter to life. A cast of writers exude an army of wickedness to titillate and awe. Fun follies!
19 authors pen equal tales. Fantasy, mystery, suspense with perhaps a moral, an omen, even an excuse (Seems we have Henry to blame for the last 4 years!) but all unto themselves.

Christopher Golden’s “Wendy, Darling” (a rather gruesome take on “Peter Pan”) - “New Wine” by Angela Slatter (needs to be a book on its own and I hope it will be!) an
Annette
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
How to make sure Annette buys your book: One - invite Christina Henry and Neil Gaiman to write a story for your book. Two - make the theme Fairy Tales. Three - make them dark. This book kind of screamed my name. Well, not literally that would have been weird. I was therefore kinda disappointed that it took this long to reach me, even though I had pre-ordered it months in advance. But, I got it and I hadn't read any spoilers yet.

It's always hard to rate a collection of stories. Like with every An
Lauren
"The dead shall dance, wherever you go, and the living shall never harm you."
- Listen, Jen Williams

If Hell is waiting in a queue that never ends; then Purgatory is insisting you're not a fan of short stories but this collection has a cool premise so you're gonna give it a try, to only end up being disappointed in 75% of the content, and deciding you're not reading anymore short stories, but seeing a new collection is out and it has a cool premise so you're gonna give it a try (because it mig
♛ Garima ♛
This is going to be in the same format, I rate individual stories. After finishing I will rate the book.

✰✰✰ Castle Cursed by Jane Yolen
The Black Fairy's Curse by Karen Joy Fowler
Wendy, Darling by Christopher Golden
Fairy Werewolf Vs. Vampire Zombie b
 Leah
I really only liked one story...which was the AS RED AS BLOOD, AS WHITE AS SNOW by Christina Henry. That one I would give 5-stars. A few were okay; TROLL BRIDGE, SKIN, & HATED. The rest were a waste of time for me...maybe anthologies aren't really my thing. ...more
Carla
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I decided to rate the stories as I read them, so here it is:

- Castle Cursed: ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sleeping Beauty inspired poem. It’s fairly short, but I particularly liked the second half of it.

- As Red As Blood, As White As Snow: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Oh how I love the idea of a villainous prince. Absolutely enjoyed this. If it had been longer, I would still have devoured it. Also, Snow and the Queen getting along? Love it.

- Troll Bridge: ⭐️
Wow, I did not click with Jack like at all. I don’t know why but I didn’t enjo
Runalong
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating collection of short stories based around the theme of curses running from horror, comedy and epic fantasy with stories from some of the best names in the genre

Full review - https://www.runalongtheshelves.net/bl...
Zoë ☆
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come on Friday!!

Thank you so much to Titan Books for sending over a review copy! :)
kirsty alexander
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books, scribd
I loved it cant wait to read more like this
Alex (ReadingBetweenTheNotes)
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Titan Books for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As Red As Blood, As White As Snow by Christina Henry
Kicking things off with one of my favourite authors! And she did not disappoint me. Christina Henry’s writing was fabulous as always and I loved the mix of elements within the story. It was a fantastic twist on well-known fairytales and had a very satisfying conclusion.

Troll Bridge by Neil Gaiman
And another of my favourite authors! Can you
Catherine McCarthy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A super anthology, featuring some incredibly talented writers, including a few I hadn’t read before and have now added to my list.
As with all anthologies, there were personal favorites, though having said that, there were only two or three which didn't hit the mark for me personally. I believe there’s something here for all tastes.
I must add, the brief/theme was exceptionally well covered in all the stories and through a variety of approaches. I read it during the Christmas holidays, and althoug
Ben Truong
Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales is an anthology of twenty short stories collected and edited by Marie O'Regan and Paul Kane. These twenty short stories are retellings of fairy tales with darken edge written by some of the best storytellers.

For the most part, I rather like most if not all of these contributions. Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales is an anthology bring together twenty new and re-imagined fairy tales in this spellbinding anthology, bookended by poems. The anthology's
Francesca
Feb 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Oh boy, wasn't this a mixed bag.

Directly from the cover:
Curses come in all shapes and sizes...Here you'll find unqiue twists on curses

Some of the authors did not get that memo.

Christina Henry, Jen Williams, M. R Carey, Maura McHugh, Christopher Fowler and Tim Lebbon, I'll be seeing all of you again soon.

Neil Gaiman, Christopher Golden, Charlie Jane Anders, Jane Yolen, Lilith Saintcrow and Margo Lanagan can do one.

Some of these stories were delightfully fucked up. Dark and gorey, true fair
Irene
Eleanor
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This anthology collection is brilliant. I really enjoyed all of these stories, however, a few stood out to me in particular:
- As Red as Blood, as White as Snow by Christina Henry
- At That Age by Catriona Ward
- Wendy, Darling by Christopher Golden
- Fairy Werewolf vs. Vampire Zombie by Charlie Jane Anders
- New Wine by Angela Slatter

If you love fairytale retellings and short stories this is a must-read. I love stories like this when with a little twist they are made dark and creepy.
Kristy
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the whole, I really liked this anthology. There's a lot of great stories in here filled with originality and fun ideas. Some shine brighter than others, and you can see a more detailed review of my thoughts in my percentage updates. But I'd definitely recommend to anyone who likes fairy tales, urban fantasy, and just weird stuff. ...more
Jul 27, 2020 added it
Didn't manage to read all the stories, but there are a few solid ones in here! ...more
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
But if a mixed bag of short stories around the theme of curses. Some were creepy and excellent, some were dull. Henry and the Snakewood Box was my favourite.
Stefan
A fantastic collection of cursed tales both light and dark. There is a little something for everyone to be found among these pages.
Carole-Ann
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As with all anthologies, it's a case of hit and miss - but there were some rather good ones!!

Some fairly grusome; some fairly obvious; but a worthwhile indulgence :)
Lizabeth Tucker
I wanted to love this collection, I really did. Some top names in fantasy, a publishing company that has a talent for interesting and intriguing collections. Sadly I found myself bored to tears, struggling with almost every short story in here. I finally gave up about halfway through the book, not willing to continue through the pain. I will give you the reviews of the stories that I did finish.

The basic premise of the twenty short stories and poetry was a focus on curses, both classic and moder
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Another fantastic anthology edited by Marie O’Regan and Paul Kane has been published by Titan Books. Following 2019’s Wonderland: An Anthology comes Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales. Eighteen short stories are within this volume, bookended by two poems by extremely prolific author Jane Yolen.

Themes and influences differ from author to author, crossing more into the realm of fairy tales sometimes or straying a bit closer to horror in others. Each author brings something special and magica
Crl
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Not all the stories in it is as exciting as others. Some of the stories i dnf cause i just can’t continue to read it.
Kate
Feb 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Some of these stories are quite dark. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Overall I liked this collection, but for me there weren't enough in the 'very good' category. ...more
Theediscerning
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely strong fantasy compilation, with many a fine new piece set alongside recent classics of the short form. The theme is really well maintained, and explored from so many aspects this is bound to have much to appeal.

For a full round-up of contents, please go to:-
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Review: Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales edited by Marie O'Regan and Paul Kane

5 Words: Something beautifully haunting for everyone.

I loved this anthology so much. I generally have a great love for anthologies because of the scope - there tends to be something for everyone and there are a wide range of styles. They are a great way to discover new authors or find something different from an author you love.

When I saw that Christina Henry was contributing to this anthology of dark fair
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales, 3.5 stars 1 7 Sep 01, 2020 12:45AM

• Nothing to See Here
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #0.7)
  • Looking Glass (The Chronicles of Alice)
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Wolf Hall
  • FantasticLand
  • Christine
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)
  • Monstrous Devices
  • Ten Arguments For Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now
  • Period Repair Manual
  • It's All Relative: Adventures Up and Down the World's Family Tree
  • All You Can Ever Know
  • The Ghost Tree
  • Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)
  • The Lost Book of Adana Moreau
  • Merry Men

News & Interviews

“Their eyebrows had the dramatic range of a thousand Kenneth Branaghs” 1 likes
“You must consent to be mine, or I shall have no choice but to become ever more mysterious, until I mystify even myself.” 0 likes