Start by marking “Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales

Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales

Fairy tales take a weird twist in this anthology compiling stories from an all-star cast of fantasy writers, including stories from Neil Gaiman, Charlie Jane Anders and Alison Littlewood.

Here in this book you'll find unique twists on the fairy tale conceit of the curse, from the more traditional to the modern - giving us brand new mythologies as well as new approaches to
Published March 3rd 2020 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed

Start your review of Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Snow did not find him charming. When she looked into his dark, dark eyes she saw not the fizzy delight of charm but the flicker of a tongue through sharp teeth.
Christina Henry, As Red As Blood, As White as Snow

Last year, this editing duo released the Wonderland anthology, which I raved about. It was a gorgeous collection and I had so much fun with it that, when I had the opportunity to read and review this new anthology, I jumped at the chance. Im an absolute sucker for dark fairytale
Lauren
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I just wanted to state even though I gave this book as a whole 3 stars. There was 4 stories within this collection that I would whole heartedly give 4 stars each and they are: As Red As Blood, As White As Snow by Christina Henry, Wendy, Darling by Christopher Golden, Fairy Werewolf vs. Vampire Zombie by Charlie Jane Anders and New Wine by Angela Slatter. These four stories in particular I loved and definitely feel they deserve 4 stars.
Zoë ☆
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to come on Friday!!

Thank you so much to Titan Books for sending over a review copy! :)
Kristy
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the whole, I really liked this anthology. There's a lot of great stories in here filled with originality and fun ideas. Some shine brighter than others, and you can see a more detailed review of my thoughts in my percentage updates. But I'd definitely recommend to anyone who likes fairy tales, urban fantasy, and just weird stuff.
Theediscerning
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nicely strong fantasy compilation, with many a fine new piece set alongside recent classics of the short form. The theme is really well maintained, and explored from so many aspects this is bound to have much to appeal.

For a full round-up of contents, please go to:-
Asha - A Cat, A Book, And A Cup Of Tea
Content warnings: A lot of death, blood and body horror, throughout. Vivid descriptions of self-harm in Little Red. Implied sexual assault/stalking in Look Inside. Baby death in Wendy, Darling. Strong authorial misogyny in Skin and Look Inside.

This collection of short stories really ended up surprising me, as the stories I was looking forward to werent necessarily the stories I ended up enjoying the most. I was pretty meh by the names pulled out for the cover; I dont tend to like MR Careys
Mark
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Curses theyre a staple of Fantasy fiction, arent they? From Snow Whites cursed apple in the Brothers Grimms fairy tales (1812) to Guy Endores The Werewolf of Paris (1933), stories about deals with a unexpected cost or the unexpected price victims have to pay for their misdeeds have been a staple of the genre for hundreds of years.

It may therefore be a little difficult, if not intimidating, therefore, to come up with an anthology of new/recently published fiction that looks at curses with a
Paperbacks
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a really difficult review to write because Cursed really was a book of 2 halves for me, I was both enraptured and non plussed at times. The first part of the book was definitely stronger insofar as the types of story I found enjoyable and that's the balance I have to make, because with 20 short stories and poems its going to be impossible to please every reader with every story. This was actually a strength though as no matter what your reading preference there will be something here for ...more
Amy Walker
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anthology books can be a gamble. The very nature of compiling a book with a dozen or more different authors, with varying styles and takes on a certain subject means that there could very easily be some parts of a book, perhaps even a majority, that won't quite be to your taste. Luckily, readers seemed to have dodged this curse (see what I did there?) with Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales.

The brilliant duo of Marie O'Regan and Paul Kane have once again produced a collection of short
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book Review: Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales edited by Marie O'Regan and Paul Kane

5 Words: Something beautifully haunting for everyone.

I loved this anthology so much. I generally have a great love for anthologies because of the scope - there tends to be something for everyone and there are a wide range of styles. They are a great way to discover new authors or find something different from an author you love.

When I saw that Christina Henry was contributing to this anthology of dark
Susan
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do you like anthologies? Let me be more specific. Do you like twisted anthologies? Witches, retells of dark fairy tales and new ones that give something dark, this way comes a whole new meaning? Want Alice going down the looking glass look like a walk in the park? Well, dear friends, if you aren't reading Titan's anthologies? You have don't have a reading life. Just go stick yourself in a corner and call it a day. You are reading wrong. You aren't reading at all. I'm not sure what you are doing ...more
Natalie
Middling anthology. No stand outs.

Its very difficult to review an anthology of short stories. Normally there are some stand out stories that stay with you long after youve read them. And then the majority of them are pleasant distractions. Unfortunately there are no stand out tales in here. There is nothing that I will come back to and nothing I will think about after the closure of the book.

The theme of the stories is Curses and Fairytales. Some are very clearly linked some are tenuous. And
Pamela Scott
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, review-copy

So I love fairytales, dark fairytales, fairytale, retellings and short stories. So my enjoyment of this collection was a given. I wouldnt expect anything less. Some of my favourite writers have stories in Cursed including Paul Kane, Neil Gaiman, James Brogden and Tim Lebbon. You know what to expect with such high calibre writers, dark delights. I also enjoy the work of Jane Yolen, . What impressed me was the depth and range of stories. They were all very
Lorin✨
3.5 stars.

*thank you to Titan books for providing me with an ARC copy for review!*

Such an interesting selection! I have lots of updates rating every story in this collection, so you can find my favourites there. I think that this was excellently put together, there is genuinely something for every reader in this one. If youre a fan of weird, dark tales, Id definitely pick this one up.
Nicole
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of re-imagined and some new age fairytales and folk tales. Overall, I quite enjoyed it- think Bros Grimm for this generation. I will admit, though, there were some that I got to the end of and wasn't quite sure I understood entirely. Still, it was a good read, the stories aren't overly long and there is always a lot happening.
Beth
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some stories were stellar and worth 4 stars, while others were less good and were only 3 stars, so this whole book was probably 3.5 stars for me. Some stories were good, some were confusing, and some seemed unfinished. I did read an ARC, so maybe things got polished in the final printing.
Christina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Some of these were great, others head-scratching, a couple complete duds. I was beyond disappointed that Neil Gaiman's piece was one from his own anthology of short stories published years ago.
Sara
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some of these were very clever. Skipped one because it just felt like you knew how it ended from the first 3 pages. But overall, very enjoyable.
Alexis Stankewitz
This was a good anthology! I love fairytale retellings, especially darker ones which this is. I liked most of theses, which is usual for an anthology collection.
Lissa
A great collection of work.

My favourites from this collection include Christina Henrys As Red as Blood, as White as Snow, Jen Williams Listen & Tim Lebbons Again.
Sharon Sargent
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Varied selection of dark, and not-so-dark fairy tales of good curses, bad curses, and the in between.
Doreen
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: titan
3/15/2020 3.5 stars. Full review tk on the 17th at TheFrumiousConsortium.net.
Céline (lumierewhispers)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 🌟

Dark, creepy and fascinating - if you're looking for a quick read about curses and dark magic, you'll be pleased with Cursed. Not all the short stories included are retellings of classic fairy tales, in fact I believe a few of them to be original stories (my favorite is the one about a malevolent genie), but they were all incredibly imaginative and chilling. Totally recommend this one for a cold, dark autumn evening.
Lucie Allen
Mar 28, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nothing to See Here
  • Re-Coil
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Golden Key
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #0.75)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Prosper's Demon
  • The Stars We Steal
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1)
  • FantasticLand
  • Christine
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Monstrous Devices
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)