Start by marking “The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts” as Want to Read:

Have you ever walked away from a conversation full of doubts and insecurities? Do you feel as if you've lost a little ground after every staff meeting? Most of us are either too passive or too aggressive in our business life, and we end up never getting the support, recognition, or respect that we desire.
The business leaders and trainers from Dale Carnegie Training® have
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Audio/Nightingale-Conant (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The 5 Essential People Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 Essential People Skills

Start your review of The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
Cassidy Shea
May 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
man, this books sucks. i picked it up at the library, wanting to read some material about assertiveness, and i was seriously disappointed.

this book is all over the place. it reads like some low-functioning stoner's thesis paper. it's disorganized. it's full of typos (page 78 has some bizarre underscore additions like_this). it has a huge lack of concrete examples to support its theories (which also makes it a really dull, textbook-ish read). and it's just plain bad writing. i wish i could rememb
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-book, internet
Not for my age group, this is for young people and explains assertiveness. Well is ok to remind me that assertiveness is not equal to aggressiveness but nevertheless this gives practical examples on how Mary that works for investment firm should handle old customers :)

capitalizes on the Dale Carnegie original work in order to promote their services , that's why this book was created, as a modern marketing material....with some good advices
Pancho Pickett
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is for anyone who has been living under a rock, who is from outer space, or who is under the age of 14. Dale Carnegie’s name should not be associated with this book. I made it through eight chapters, and I’ve had enough.
Brian Kramp
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: communication
This was not written by Dale Carnegie, but someone who sounded more like a salesman than a professional. It was cliché and generally boring, and clearly targeted at managers rather than individuals.

One piece of interesting advice was when dealing with an employee who lacks motivation. In a review conversation with them, they may expect criticism, but don’t do that. Instead say "I don’t see a fire lit under you? What do you think you’re missing in the job that would light it?"
Ashley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a little cheesy but ultimately a helpful audio book. I'd rec. to those in a work place and dealing with public.

This is one to possibly re-read, i'm more interested in what dale carnegie has written.
sadiq
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book will probably still be useful in a 1000 years as it would have been if it was 1000 years before its time.
Fahim Akhter
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guess these classic self development books are sort of a guilty pleasure. The cheesy tunes before a chapter, the slow pacing of the book. The sound of the narrator who sounds like a person who has nothing behind those eyes. Sort of like the Tom Cruise of the books.

Having said those things, the principles taught by Dale Carnegie as cheesy and simple as they may seem hold true through all times. From leaders to sportsman everyone has learned something from the great man. The book is no exceptio
Elizabeta
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Might be useful for working in a corporate world. It was an ok book, but still not as great as "How to Win Friends and Influence People". ...more
Abeeda
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Corporate slant. Basic information. Nothing really new here. Would recommend it as a starter for fresh grads entering the corporate world.
Muhammad Habib
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
makes you think, but you have to want to be better first
Fahasa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
From one of the most trusted and bestselling brands in business training and throughout the world, The 5 Essential People Skills shows how to deliver a message to others with power and clarity, how to build loyalty and inspire creativity by demonstrating assertiveness, and how to be assertive.

Put these five essential skills to work and begin your transformation!

Have you ever walked away from a conversation full of doubts and insecurities? Do you feel as if you’ve lost a little ground after every
Jason Wicky Ong
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
To assert yourself effectively enough to influence others, develop the “five essential people skills”: “rapport building, curiosity, communication, ambition” and “conflict resolution.”

Funny how the essential people skills are called 'ambition' and 'conflict management' and the book ended up telling us how to deal with ambitious people and problematic people.

Although this book is not an accurate summary of Dale Carnegie's books, I like how the book focus on making us more assertive.
Joey Doughty
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, social
This book wasn't actually written by Dale Carnegie. I feel similarly about this book as I feel about How To Win Friends and Influence People - I feel the advice within is either largely manipulative and not conducive to facilitating meaningful relationships, or incompatible with my personality.

The 5 Essential People Skills may actually prove useful for someone in middle management, but for a near-college graduate like myself, there isn't much to be gained here.
Daniel
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book by the Dale Carnegie Institute. It is imbued with the philosophy of the late Mr. Carnegie, who was born in 1888 and died on 1955. The book is one which you'll return to constantly and at various times in life. It is intended for multiple readings and its exercises are very helpful towards self development. ...more
William Schram
The 5 Essential People Skills are all related to being assertive. It is one of those books that expect you to write in or mark up the book. It is one of the actions that I decided to never do to my books, even if it makes them more personal.

I don’t know if the book is a rehash of other information or not. There isn’t really a lot to say about this book beyond all of that.
Wiragita
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of the story actually already explain in previous book. Its maybe more sharpening explanation about one topic. I dont think you have to own it if you are not interest in sharpening your skill in specific area.
Atlantis
Self-help books are not ever going to be my favorite. This is not an exception. Also, due to the advance and of social media and the prolonged pandemic the dynamics of interpersonal relationships through business have drastically changed. This was an LFL donation.
David Anusontarangkul
Average book that has some good tips for the working world. I like the tip to always end meetings in a good note, even when the middle of the meeting can be negative.
Nidhal Ben Tahar
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Somehow, this book ended up in my phone (in audio form). How I could finish it without becoming a zombie, no one knows.
Masatoshi Nishimura
A good old Dale Carnegie book. The gist is similar to How to Win Friends.
Charles Dean
Good practical advice, but a bit overly simplistic at this point in my career.
Billy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Similiar to most of Dale Carnegie's book and a good refresher. Skill and human attitude to be assertive in our doings. ...more
CHRISTINA ONASIS
One word to Dale Carnegie. GENIUSSS!
Mike
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new here but a good refresher full of classic & timeless reminders on how to be our best when communicating, listening, and leading.
Vishalkumar
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Topics were good. However content was poor.
Fannisa Septariana
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Not the best book to pick up when you are at the book store. Somehow the information too cheesy and general.
Mahmoud Adly
Away from the "Dale Carnegie's early prophecies that will change your life" non-sense, it has some good social psychology notes that are worth trying and can definitely help re-evaluate our conception of how 'the others' react to what we say and do. ...more
Kristen Gebbia
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
While I think Carnegie's Brooke, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" covers most of the things in this training, I did enjoy listening to the audio book as a refresher course of sorts. The stress of the book is on assertiveness; that middle ground between being passive and aggressive. What stuck out the most to me in the training was that:

-assertive people, when facing a potential conflict, state the facts (a deadline was missed), state the consequences (the customer is angry and this has
Mihai Pintilie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-social
The 5 essential people skills summary

Assertiveness is the mature response, first understand your position then formulate the professional argument
Making reasonable requests and making clear that you make a point
Be objective, detached
Be the objective arbitrage who supports your interests not the other person s, but make them see you are calm and objective and fair, strive for a win win understanding

Don't dress to alienate people, to get tagged
Talk loudly and be specific, pauses in speech are goo
Jin Kok
This book took me trouble to go through, as It delve deep into the fear or being assertive. This is especialy through when you are in Asia and being assertive or too commanding is not an encouraging trait. However as after I read this book, I found out that being assertive its actually good, it helps to build self confidence and also respect from your circle of friends or those who you interact with.

In being assertive, I learned that shouting on top of your lungs does not count as assertive, tha

• You Can If You Think You Can
  • Quiet Impact: How to be a successful Introvert
  • 4 Seconds: All The Time You Need to Stop Counter-Productive Habits and Get the Results You Want
  • Masih Belajar
  • Berdamai Dengan Rasa Malas
  • Everybody Matters: The Extraordinary Power of Caring for Your People Like Family
  • The Laws of Invincible Leadership
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • Value Investing: Beat the Market in Five Minutes!
  • This Is Not Fame: A "From What I Re-Memoir"
  • Be Obsessed or Be Average
  • Post Corona: From Crisis to Opportunity
  • The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • Véndele a la mente, no a la gente
  • God's Little Devotional Bible
  • Budúcnosť  50 myšlienok, ktoré by ste mali poznať
  • Hollywood Godfather: My Life in the Movies and the Mob
  • Ética para Amador
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more