Start by marking “The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts” as Want to Read:

Have you ever walked away from a conversation full of doubts and insecurities? Do you feel as if you've lost a little ground after every staff meeting? Most of us are either too passive or too aggressive in our business life, and we end up never getting the support, recognition, or respect that we desire.
The business leaders and trainers from Dale Carnegie Training® have
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Audio/Nightingale-Conant (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The 5 Essential People Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 5 Essential People Skills

Start your review of The 5 Essential People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
Cassidy Shea
May 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
man, this books sucks. i picked it up at the library, wanting to read some material about assertiveness, and i was seriously disappointed.

this book is all over the place. it reads like some low-functioning stoner's thesis paper. it's disorganized. it's full of typos (page 78 has some bizarre underscore additions like_this). it has a huge lack of concrete examples to support its theories (which also makes it a really dull, textbook-ish read). and it's just plain bad writing. i wish i could
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: internet, audio-book
Not for my age group, this is for young people and explains assertiveness. Well is ok to remind me that assertiveness is not equal to aggressiveness but nevertheless this gives practical examples on how Mary that works for investment firm should handle old customers :)

capitalizes on the Dale Carnegie original work in order to promote their services , that's why this book was created, as a modern marketing material....with some good advices
Pancho Pickett
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is for anyone who has been living under a rock, who is from outer space, or who is under the age of 14. Dale Carnegies name should not be associated with this book. I made it through eight chapters, and Ive had enough. ...more
Brian Kramp
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was not written by Dale Carnegie, but someone who sounded more like a salesman than a professional. It was cliché and generally boring, and clearly targeted at managers rather than individuals.

One piece of interesting advice was when dealing with an employee who lacks motivation. In a review conversation with them, they may expect criticism, but dont do that. Instead say "I dont see a fire lit under you? What do you think youre missing in the job that would light it?"
Ashley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes a little cheesy but ultimately a helpful audio book. I'd rec. to those in a work place and dealing with public.

This is one to possibly re-read, i'm more interested in what dale carnegie has written.
Fahim Akhter
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I guess these classic self development books are sort of a guilty pleasure. The cheesy tunes before a chapter, the slow pacing of the book. The sound of the narrator who sounds like a person who has nothing behind those eyes. Sort of like the Tom Cruise of the books.

Having said those things, the principles taught by Dale Carnegie as cheesy and simple as they may seem hold true through all times. From leaders to sportsman everyone has learned something from the great man. The book is no
Abeeda
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Corporate slant. Basic information. Nothing really new here. Would recommend it as a starter for fresh grads entering the corporate world.
Elizabeta
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Might be useful for working in a corporate world. It was an ok book, but still not as great as "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
Muhammad Habib
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
makes you think, but you have to want to be better first
Fahasa
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
From one of the most trusted and bestselling brands in business training and throughout the world, The 5 Essential People Skills shows how to deliver a message to others with power and clarity, how to build loyalty and inspire creativity by demonstrating assertiveness, and how to be assertive.

Put these five essential skills to work and begin your transformation!

Have you ever walked away from a conversation full of doubts and insecurities? Do you feel as if youve lost a little ground after every
Joey Doughty
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology, social
This book wasn't actually written by Dale Carnegie. I feel similarly about this book as I feel about How To Win Friends and Influence People - I feel the advice within is either largely manipulative and not conducive to facilitating meaningful relationships, or incompatible with my personality.

The 5 Essential People Skills may actually prove useful for someone in middle management, but for a near-college graduate like myself, there isn't much to be gained here.
Jason Ong Wicky
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
To assert yourself effectively enough to influence others, develop the five essential people skills: rapport building, curiosity, communication, ambition and conflict resolution.

Funny how the essential people skills are called 'ambition' and 'conflict management' and the book ended up telling us how to deal with ambitious people and problematic people.

Although this book is not an accurate summary of Dale Carnegie's books, I like how the book focus on making us more assertive.
William Schram
The 5 Essential People Skills are all related to being assertive. It is one of those books that expect you to write in or mark up the book. It is one of the actions that I decided to never do to my books, even if it makes them more personal.

I dont know if the book is a rehash of other information or not. There isnt really a lot to say about this book beyond all of that.
Daniel
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book by the Dale Carnegie Institute. It is imbued with the philosophy of the late Mr. Carnegie, who was born in 1888 and died on 1955. The book is one which you'll return to constantly and at various times in life. It is intended for multiple readings and its exercises are very helpful towards self development.
Wiragita
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of the story actually already explain in previous book. Its maybe more sharpening explanation about one topic. I dont think you have to own it if you are not interest in sharpening your skill in specific area.
Nidhal Ben Tahar
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Somehow, this book ended up in my phone (in audio form). How I could finish it without becoming a zombie, no one knows.
Vishalkumar
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Topics were good. However content was poor.
Mike
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new here but a good refresher full of classic & timeless reminders on how to be our best when communicating, listening, and leading.
Masatoshi Nishimura
A good old Dale Carnegie book. The gist is similar to How to Win Friends.
Billy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Similiar to most of Dale Carnegie's book and a good refresher. Skill and human attitude to be assertive in our doings.
David Anusontarangkul
Average book that has some good tips for the working world. I like the tip to always end meetings in a good note, even when the middle of the meeting can be negative.
CHRISTINA ONASIS
One word to Dale Carnegie. GENIUSSS!
Charles Dean
Good practical advice, but a bit overly simplistic at this point in my career.
Mahmoud Adly
Away from the "Dale Carnegie's early prophecies that will change your life" non-sense, it has some good social psychology notes that are worth trying and can definitely help re-evaluate our conception of how 'the others' react to what we say and do.
Kristen Gebbia
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
While I think Carnegie's Brooke, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" covers most of the things in this training, I did enjoy listening to the audio book as a refresher course of sorts. The stress of the book is on assertiveness; that middle ground between being passive and aggressive. What stuck out the most to me in the training was that:

-assertive people, when facing a potential conflict, state the facts (a deadline was missed), state the consequences (the customer is angry and this has
Mihai Pintilie
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5-social
The 5 essential people skills summary

Assertiveness is the mature response, first understand your position then formulate the professional argument
Making reasonable requests and making clear that you make a point
Be objective, detached
Be the objective arbitrage who supports your interests not the other person s, but make them see you are calm and objective and fair, strive for a win win understanding

Don't dress to alienate people, to get tagged
Talk loudly and be specific, pauses in speech are
Jin Kok
This book took me trouble to go through, as It delve deep into the fear or being assertive. This is especialy through when you are in Asia and being assertive or too commanding is not an encouraging trait. However as after I read this book, I found out that being assertive its actually good, it helps to build self confidence and also respect from your circle of friends or those who you interact with.

In being assertive, I learned that shouting on top of your lungs does not count as assertive,
E
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five steps to asserting yourself in business

Dale Carnegie was the original self-help guru. His book How to Win Friends and Influence People is a classic. First published in 1936, it has sold 15 million copies and remains popular. Carnegie's ability to inspire people is legendary. This contemporary bestseller from the Dale Carnegie Training organization distills Carnegie's teachings about business relationships into five common-sense principles for creating positive, persuasive interactions.
Waldo Jones
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book did not teach me anything new, though it did inspire additional unrelated thoughts that taught me very valuable lessons.

For some people, this book will definitely give you extreme value.
For others, you may be educated enough that these principles are common sense and are already practiced during your everyday life. However, even if you are the latter category, the very act of reading this book will initiate valuable thinking. Dale Carnegie is very good at getting your mind going in
Linda Newman
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is from Dale Carnegie Training. I am just over half way thru. It is most helpful in that it tells how, just as the extended title says, how to assert yourself, listen to others and resolve conflicts. It talks of the difference between assertive behavior (good) and aggressive behavior (bad). Written in an easy-to-read style and at the end of each chapter there is are workbook sections.

• The One Minute Sales Person: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • Your Personality Tree
  • The Millionaire Booklet
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Ripple of Existence
  • Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life
  • The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage
  • The Boring Book
  • The Warwolf: A Peasant Chronicle of the Thirty Years War
  • The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales
  • Introduction à la pensée complexe
  • Goals!: How to Get Everything You Want Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • The Art of Communicating
  • Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
  • Customers for Life: How to Turn That One-Time Buyer Into a Lifetime Customer
  • Become What You Are
  • B Is for Beer
  • The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, ...more