Start by marking “Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism” as Want to Read:
Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism

Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism

The theological system known as Calvinism is often caricatured as harsh, dour, and illogical. But as Dr. Joel R. Beeke argues in this important new book, this image could not be further from the truth. Beeke, a pastor, educator, editor, and prolific author, shows instead that Calvinism is a theology that is firmly rooted in Scripture and works its way out into every area o ...more
Published September 12th 2008 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Living for God's Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living for God's Glory

Start your review of Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
Bob Hayton
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Calvinism is all the buzz these days. Last year, Time Magazine listed the rise of "The New Calvinism" as number 3 on a list of "10 Ideas Changing the World Right Now". The five points of Calvinism are gaining adherents at a rapid rate. At the same time, a deep-seated rejection of Calvinism remains popular in large swaths of evangelicalism.

When it comes to the internet, fierce debates over Calvinism are the norm. Calvinists routinely suspect the worst of their "Arminian" opponents who are often p
Logan
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent collection of essays on various aspects of Calvinism and how it applies to all areas of Christian worship, theology, and practical living. Nearly every chapter was a self-contained subject and yet it all was one cohesive whole.
David Carraway
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that starts with the history of the Reformation and the reasons for it and takes the reader up to the present day. This book covers every aspect of Calvisism and Puritanism. From it's effects on evangilism, family living, marriage, worship and work as well as everything in between. I highly recommend this book! I feel that even the most devout Calvinist can benefit from reading this book.
Stephen Hoogerhyde
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best introduction to the Reformed faith I have ever read.
Elizabeth
I read this many years ago but I could benefit from reading it again.
Sean Higgins
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some of the most compelling Calvinistic reading I've done in over a decade.
Jeremy
Heavy reading, but worthwhile overall. I especially enjoyed the chapters dealing with Calvin's focus on the Kingship of Christ and the implications of that authority.
Carol Larson
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, calvinism
Excellent and very practical
Connor Longaphie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's okay. Very good as an introduction to the Reformed faith. I would recommend this to family or friends who are asking questions about it. Rather well fleshed out but not exactly in-depth. If you are already made your acquaintance with Calvinism this is probably not worth the time as it isn't exactly short. Good writing though.
Josh Kary
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good summary of Calvinism in both theology and practice. Of course, the baptist in me has some disagreements here and there and wishes there was more information on the particular Baptist movement. Overall, worth reading if you are interested in a general overview of post-Reformation history and theology.
Anna Chviedaruk
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always better to learn something from the sourse. That's why I read a book on calvinism from a calvinist and not someone else. A very thourough representation which happens to be the basics of everything a believer holds on to. The book was a little boring to me in some parts, but overall it helped me to glorify God more.
Steve Davies
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reformed
Very challenging and thought provoking.
Greg Swafford
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book. .

A good book for those interested in Reformed Theology and as an introduction to the Reformed Faith. Highly recommended this volume.
Jared Jenkins
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful overview and synopsis of Calvinistic teachings, Living for God's Glory captures the essence of the Genevan Reformer's goal in prioritizing the glory of God within the believer's walk.
Carl  Palmateer
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is so great to read a book on Calvinism that isn't limited to the five points.
Becky
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Living for God's Glory is a great read. It was very informative and well organized. It also seemed very comprehensive. There was so much examined and explored within it. Much more than an exploration of TULIP and the five solas. For example, it includes centuries worth of church history.

Some chapters I really loved, loved, loved. Some chapters I learned from. When it was good, it was excellent. However, I must admit that some of the chapters were skim-worthy. The interest level just wasn't ther
Dan
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Reformation Trust in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoy theology. I know that theology is not one of the subjects that many flock to study. It can be deep, heady, and at times combative.

Having said that, I have run into Calvinism on more than one occasion while studying. I had to admit to myself that my understanding of John Calvin and his teachings was rather elementary.

Outside of T.U.L.I.P. and the disagreements between Calvinists and of hi
Brad
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A warm, sympathetic work on Calvinism (and the Puritans.) The first section of the book explores the traditional "Five Points of Calvinism", countering common objections and caricatures. The other sections of the book seek to relate Calvinism to every area of life, from personal piety to epistemology. Each chapter also ends with discussion questions to aid personal reflection and interaction with others. The book is a wealth of quotations and reflections, which add to its overall devotional and ...more
Kyle
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Living for God's Glory is an excellent book on the theology and implications of calvinism for all the Christian life. Beeke does an excellent job of an overview of the 5 points and their historical background. The best sections reading, for myself, were the chapters dealing with the Puritan views of sanctification, the church, and marriage and family life. Throughout the book, wwe are constantly reminded of the goal of calvinism - all glory to God.
This is a really good book, for those wonderin
Paul
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Living for God’s Glory” by Dr. Joel R. Beeke

“Living for God’s Glory” is an educational book on the Calvinist doctrine that has lead to many of the denominations that we are familiar with today such as the Baptist, Presbyterian, Congregational, and other fine denominations. Calvinism has lead to many great preachers throughout history, including John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones, and many others. Yet the main purpose of this book is not only to look at the g
Josue Manriquez
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written introduction to Calvinism. Naturally, Beeke devotes a few chapters explaining the "5-points," but the majority of the book focuses on how Calvinism/Reformed Theology fuels every aspect of one's life, including work, education, politics, family, etc.

At the end of the day, Calvinism is God-centric, and therefore always leads to doxology.

Soli Deo Gloria! To God alone be glory!

(Although I am very much "reformed," I do not adhere to some traditional reformed beliefs, which
Sam
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading What is Reformed Theology by Sproul, I was hungry for something with far more depth. This was it.

I learned several things about Calvinism, or Reformed Theology, from this book that I didn't know. These items include the incredible emphasis on the Puritans, the hunger for God's glory over all things, the enjoyment of God-sanctified pleasures, and the application of Calvinism to all areas of life.

I preferred Beeke's writing over the other contributers, even finding him devotional at
Joseph
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and well balanced book. Any of the chapters can be taken alone or the book can be read straight through with great profit to the reader. As is always the case with Beeke's books it is well documented and saturated with scriptural references.
It contains several concise chapters on the points of Calvinism but it makes the point that it goes beyond mere five points. It also is not just doctrinal but applies theology to all of life. It is a great book and I recommend it to anyone inte
Jeremy Lee
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
This is the third time I have read Living for God's Glory. I read it this time because a friend and I are studying it together. It is a great introduction to Reformed theology and piety. Beeke's chapters on holiness, marriage, and family have been very important to my walk with Christ. I especially appreciate this book because it's sole focus is not the five points of Calvinism. Instead, it demonstrates and explains that Reformed theology is a comprehensive God-centered worldview meant to be liv ...more
Nick Cato
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Evangelicals, Protestants, Catholics, Christians
Beeke's treatise on the major doctrines of the historical Christian faith are concise and well organized, especially an early section dealing with the Confessions of various movements and periods.

Part One's Origins of Calvinism shed some much needed light on an often misunderstood part of Protestantism, and Part Three gets quite indepth on the 5 points.

An excellent straight-through read, OR can be used as a fine reference book.
Vaughn
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Living for God’s Glory” is solid Christian truth. In this book, Beeke, presents Calvinism (Reformed theology) in a warm and engaging way while at the same time showing the depth and breadth of Calvinism, which speaks to every aspect of Christian life.

Each chapter is written to the heart and will benefit both new and more mature followers of Christ.
Al
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puritan
Dr. Beeke does an outstanding job in explaining Calvinism and breaking down its complexities. This, as all of his works, is eminently readable and went by quick. Its also a good reference for those exploring Calvinism beyond TULIP, and getting a feel for Puritan spirituality.
Douglas Adu-Boahen
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic introduction to the doctrines of grace
Tanwin
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
One of the worst books on Calvinism that I've read...

• Saint Thomas Aquinas
  • George Marshall: Defender of the Republic
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • The Essential Jonathan Edwards: An Introduction to the Life and Teaching of America's Greatest Theologian
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • To Hell with the Hustle
  • Always Ready: Directions For Defending The Faith
  • Covenantal Apologetics: Principles and Practice in Defense of Our Faith
  • The Bondage of the Will
  • Church Elders: How to Shepherd God's People Like Jesus (9Marks: Building Healthy Churches)
  • The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • Lectures to My Students
  • I'm a Big Brother (Padded Large Learner)
  • Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
  • All That Is in God: Evangelical Theology and the Challenge of Classical Christian Theism
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
Dr. Joel R. Beeke serves as President and Professor of Systematic Theology, Church History, and Homiletics. He has been in the ministry since 1978 and has served as a pastor of his current church since 1986. He is also editor of the Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth, editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books, president of Inheritance Publishers, and vice-president of the Dutch Reformed Transl ...more