Start by marking “Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism” as Want to Read:
Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism

Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism

The theological system known as Calvinism is often caricatured as harsh, dour, and illogical. But as Dr. Joel R. Beeke argues in this important new book, this image could not be further from the truth. Beeke, a pastor, educator, editor, and prolific author, shows instead that Calvinism is a theology that is firmly rooted in Scripture and works its way out into every area o ...more
Published September 12th 2008 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Living for God's Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living for God's Glory

Bob Hayton
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Calvinism is all the buzz these days. Last year, Time Magazine listed the rise of "The New Calvinism" as number 3 on a list of "10 Ideas Changing the World Right Now". The five points of Calvinism are gaining adherents at a rapid rate. At the same time, a deep-seated rejection of Calvinism remains popular in large swaths of evangelicalism.

When it comes to the internet, fierce debates over Calvinism are the norm. Calvinists routinely suspect the worst of their "Arminian" opponents who are often p
David Carraway
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that starts with the history of the Reformation and the reasons for it and takes the reader up to the present day. This book covers every aspect of Calvisism and Puritanism. From it's effects on evangilism, family living, marriage, worship and work as well as everything in between. I highly recommend this book! I feel that even the most devout Calvinist can benefit from reading this book.
Mike Walker
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great introduction to the doctrines of Calvinism. Much more than a rehash of the "five points." It has various authors in addition to Beeke. I couldn't put it down. I ordered two additional copies to give away to my curious Armninian friends.
Stephen Hoogerhyde
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best introduction to the Reformed faith I have ever read.
Felipe Barnabé
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O livro é uma abordagem sobre a teologia reformada. Cada capítulo trata de um tema específico, tais como soteriologia, epistemologia, política, família, casamento... todos eles dentro de uma perspectiva reformada.
É um bom livro, mas achei a leitura cansativa na maior parte dele.
Recomendo para quem quer ter uma introdução a teologia reformada.
Carol Larson
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: calvinism, nonfiction
Excellent and very practical
Steve Davies
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reformed
Very challenging and thought provoking.
Becky
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Living for God's Glory is a great read. It was very informative and well organized. It also seemed very comprehensive. There was so much examined and explored within it. Much more than an exploration of TULIP and the five solas. For example, it includes centuries worth of church history.

Some chapters I really loved, loved, loved. Some chapters I learned from. When it was good, it was excellent. However, I must admit that some of the chapters were skim-worthy. The interest level just wasn't ther
Dan
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Reformation Trust in exchange for my honest review.

I enjoy theology. I know that theology is not one of the subjects that many flock to study. It can be deep, heady, and at times combative.

Having said that, I have run into Calvinism on more than one occasion while studying. I had to admit to myself that my understanding of John Calvin and his teachings was rather elementary.

Outside of T.U.L.I.P. and the disagreements between Calvinists and of hi
Brad
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A warm, sympathetic work on Calvinism (and the Puritans.) The first section of the book explores the traditional "Five Points of Calvinism", countering common objections and caricatures. The other sections of the book seek to relate Calvinism to every area of life, from personal piety to epistemology. Each chapter also ends with discussion questions to aid personal reflection and interaction with others. The book is a wealth of quotations and reflections, which add to its overall devotional and ...more
Kyle
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Living for God's Glory is an excellent book on the theology and implications of calvinism for all the Christian life. Beeke does an excellent job of an overview of the 5 points and their historical background. The best sections reading, for myself, were the chapters dealing with the Puritan views of sanctification, the church, and marriage and family life. Throughout the book, wwe are constantly reminded of the goal of calvinism - all glory to God.
This is a really good book, for those wonderin
Paul
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
“Living for God’s Glory” by Dr. Joel R. Beeke

“Living for God’s Glory” is an educational book on the Calvinist doctrine that has lead to many of the denominations that we are familiar with today such as the Baptist, Presbyterian, Congregational, and other fine denominations. Calvinism has lead to many great preachers throughout history, including John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Spurgeon, Dr. Martin Lloyd-Jones, and many others. Yet the main purpose of this book is not only to look at the g
Josue Manriquez
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written introduction to Calvinism. Naturally, Beeke devotes a few chapters explaining the "5-points," but the majority of the book focuses on how Calvinism/Reformed Theology fuels every aspect of one's life, including work, education, politics, family, etc.

At the end of the day, Calvinism is God-centric, and therefore always leads to doxology.

Soli Deo Gloria! To God alone be glory!

(Although I am very much "reformed," I do not adhere to some traditional reformed beliefs, which
Sam
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading What is Reformed Theology by Sproul, I was hungry for something with far more depth. This was it.

I learned several things about Calvinism, or Reformed Theology, from this book that I didn't know. These items include the incredible emphasis on the Puritans, the hunger for God's glory over all things, the enjoyment of God-sanctified pleasures, and the application of Calvinism to all areas of life.

I preferred Beeke's writing over the other contributers, even finding him devotional at
Joseph
Aug 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent and well balanced book. Any of the chapters can be taken alone or the book can be read straight through with great profit to the reader. As is always the case with Beeke's books it is well documented and saturated with scriptural references.
It contains several concise chapters on the points of Calvinism but it makes the point that it goes beyond mere five points. It also is not just doctrinal but applies theology to all of life. It is a great book and I recommend it to anyone inte
Jeremy Lee
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
This is the third time I have read Living for God's Glory. I read it this time because a friend and I are studying it together. It is a great introduction to Reformed theology and piety. Beeke's chapters on holiness, marriage, and family have been very important to my walk with Christ. I especially appreciate this book because it's sole focus is not the five points of Calvinism. Instead, it demonstrates and explains that Reformed theology is a comprehensive God-centered worldview meant to be liv ...more
Nick Cato
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Evangelicals, Protestants, Catholics, Christians
Beeke's treatise on the major doctrines of the historical Christian faith are concise and well organized, especially an early section dealing with the Confessions of various movements and periods.

Part One's Origins of Calvinism shed some much needed light on an often misunderstood part of Protestantism, and Part Three gets quite indepth on the 5 points.

An excellent straight-through read, OR can be used as a fine reference book.
Vaughn
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Living for God’s Glory” is solid Christian truth. In this book, Beeke, presents Calvinism (Reformed theology) in a warm and engaging way while at the same time showing the depth and breadth of Calvinism, which speaks to every aspect of Christian life.

Each chapter is written to the heart and will benefit both new and more mature followers of Christ.
Al
Feb 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puritan
Dr. Beeke does an outstanding job in explaining Calvinism and breaking down its complexities. This, as all of his works, is eminently readable and went by quick. Its also a good reference for those exploring Calvinism beyond TULIP, and getting a feel for Puritan spirituality.
Mark Nenadov
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Excellent, a really unique work.
Sean Higgins
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some of the most compelling Calvinistic reading I've done in over a decade.
Luanne Coats
An excellent "primer" on Calvinism, which is,as C.H.Spurgeon once said ," simply Biblical Christianity."
Dustin Clay
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant work that covers the historical, biblical, and practical aspects of Calvinism.
Josh
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still enjoyable the second time through.
Jeremy
Heavy reading, but worthwhile overall. I especially enjoyed the chapters dealing with Calvin's focus on the Kingship of Christ and the implications of that authority.
Douglas Adu-Boahen
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic introduction to the doctrines of grace
Jeff
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctrine
David Steele
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: calvinism
A theological, philosophical, and historical tour of Calvinism. Highly recommended!
Tanwin
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
One of the worst books on Calvinism that I've read...
Lucas B De Freitas
Jan 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC – AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1)
  • Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching
  • Lectures on Calvinism
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • All Things for Good
  • Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Transforming Power of the Gospel
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
Dr. Joel R. Beeke serves as President and Professor of Systematic Theology, Church History, and Homiletics. He has been in the ministry since 1978 and has served as a pastor of his current church since 1986. He is also editor of the Banner of Sovereign Grace Truth, editorial director of Reformation Heritage Books, president of Inheritance Publishers, and vice-president of the Dutch Reformed Transl ...more
“You can do more than pray after you have prayed, but you cannot do more than pray until you have prayed," John Bunyan writes. "Pray often, for prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge to Satan."24” 0 likes
“Give yourself-not just your time-to prayer. Remember that prayer is not an appendix to your life and your work, it is your life your real, spiritual life-and your work. Prayer is the thermometer of your soul.” 0 likes