Start by marking “If I Were You” as Want to Read:
If I Were You

If I Were You

From bestselling and eight-time Christy Award-winning author Lynn Austin comes a remarkable novel of sisterhood and self-discovery set against the backdrop of WWII.

1950. In the wake of the war, Audrey Clarkson leaves her manor house in England for a fresh start in America with her young son. As a widowed war bride, Audrey needs the support of her American in-laws, whom she
Published June 2nd 2020 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 2020)

To ask other readers questions about If I Were You, please sign up.
Misha It's written for adults, but a teen could certainly enjoy it, too. The book involves war, drunkenness, affairs, and deception so the subject matter is…moreIt's written for adults, but a teen could certainly enjoy it, too. The book involves war, drunkenness, affairs, and deception so the subject matter is intense, but there aren't details about these things that would make the book unsuitable for teens if they can handle the topics.(less)

Start your review of If I Were You
Rachel McMillan
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
endorsement:

Lynn Austin’s tradition of masterful historical fiction continues in If I Were You: an impeccably researched look into the lives of two remarkable women living in the echoes of War and the past that sews them together. Her unparalleled skill at evoking the past--from the Blitz-bombed London of the early 40s to the promised land of post War America -- will appeal to fans of Ariel Lawton and Lisa Wingate. While long time fans will appreciate this introspective tale from a writer who de
Cheryl James
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was amazing. The characters and the story were very well developed. Two best friends, two families, two men, two little boys and one great and meaningful story. This story took me places that i have never been before in a book and i loved it all.

The ending (last 3 chapters) were a little off for me but even with that what a story.
Maureen Timerman
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book grabbed me and never let go until the last page was turned. I was with Eve and Audrey right from the time they met, with the bombs as they dropped, as they fell in love, suffered tragedies and just tried to survive.
The prologue drew me in, and I love the the author answered everyone of my questions that came up as I read this novel, and they may not be what I wanted to hear, but I know what happened.
This book is powerful in its emotions, and we are watching as it unfolds, and just when
Melanie
If I Were You was amazing! I've heard wonderful things about Lynn Austin's books for a while, but I've never actually read one until now…I've been missing out!

From the first chapter I was captured by the characters and their story. The book switches from present time to the past and yet it is easy to follow along. Because of the way it is written, I found myself trying to figure things about before they were revealed…and sometimes I was right, but others I was completely wrong.

All in all, If I W
Natalie Walters
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I listened to the audiobook and let me just say that if you love audiobooks this one is a MUST listen! The narrator was fantastic and I think really made the story come to life.

This was my first Lynn Austin novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it--even when I didn't thoroughly enjoy one of the characters. Eve Dawson wasn't my favorite character but Ms. Austin handled the flaws of Eve with delicacy to bring out the theme of forgiveness beautifully. For that reason alone, I could get o
Alicia
If I Were You was classic Lynn Austin, meaning its pages were filled with history come to life and people with stories to tell. I always feel richer after finishing one of her novels- richer in knowledge, spiritual lessons, and enjoyment (because her books are always a pleasure to read!).

This book started off right away with letting you in on jaw-dropping news, so you have an idea of where the story is headed and you get a little preparation for a few surprises. However, it wasn’t too much beca
Mary Robinson
I thoroughly enjoyed the first half or so of this novel, but the tail end, once the two friends were reunited in the United States, the storyline became predictable, preachy and unbelievable. Forgiveness is wonderful, but for the deep deception involved here, the forbiveness of everyone involved happened far too easily and quickly. And the writing was a bit sophmoric. Two stars.
Mikaela
~ Audiobook Review ~

I love the way Lynn Austin writes, she takes you on a journey with the Characters that is so deep and realistic. ‘If I Were You’ is set in 1931-1950 England and 1950 USA following two unlikely childhood friends that prove to be a strength to each other as they courageously face the destruction and fears of daily life during WWII.

It’s refreshing to have a story that doesn’t revolve around romance but rather focuses on the ups and downs of life, friendship and faith. There is
Staci
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Interesting and plausible WWII tale about two young women living in England. Audrey lives in a manor and is accustomed to opulence and servants. Eve lives in the village near the manor and her family struggles to survive financially. While Audrey has all the wealth she could ever need, she years for love and acceptance. Eve has a bounty of love and envies Audrey's wealth. Their story spans many years and takes a number of twists and turns. The broad message to seek God's direction and to be than ...more
Nicole
Nothing I write in this review will come close to expressing just how AMAZING If I Were You by Lynn Austin truly is. This book blew me away. The characters are so well crafted they jump off the page. The plot is so engaging I read well past my bedtime. The timely messages are desperately needed for today’s audience and so hope-inducing that I could not help myself, I cried tears of gratefulness and joy. This book is filled with serious HOPE! And, the historical detail is SO well done I felt like ...more
A.M. Cummins
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I really struggled with that ending. There's no way EVERYONE is that forgiving. ...more
Celia
An unlikely friendship and a fascinating story.

Audrey and Eve are friends in 1930's England. Audrey is from an aristocratic family; Eve is from the working class. Eve's mother is lady in waiting to Audrey's mother. Audrey's mother would be mortified if she knew how close they had become. But Audrey envies Eve: Eve's zest for life and family relationships. Audrey envied Eve for being raised in a community surrounded by loving people.

Their lives continue to be intertwined until the 1950's. The sto
Paula Shreckhise
If I Were You looks back to WWII in England and the unlikely friendship of Eve Dawson and Audrey Clarkson. Eve is a servant and Audrey is from an aristocratic family. Yet their friendship is made stronger through their service to their country in the awful war. Ms Austin takes us to diverse places during the years of 1939 through the end of the war and beyond. The girls do their part in the boat rescue of soldiers at Dunkirk and end up at ATS ( Auxiliary Territorial Service) Motor Transportation ...more
Marian Baay
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Wonderful and surprising story about two friends during war time.
Darla
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic historical fiction with a deft plot twist. The story of Eve and Audrey will appeal to a wide audience. There is a Downton Abbey vibe that runs throughout as the two young women are on opposite sides of the culture divide between nobility and domestic staff. They meet in the woods as young girls and forge a formidable bond in the ambulance corps. Some foundational questions rear their heads throughout. Where is the Good Shepherd in the midst of the horrors of the battlefield? Can one be ...more
Emily
Sep 10, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had so much potential. The beginning was slow and I did not like Audrey or Eve. However, once WWII began, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. After the war, the novel got really preachy. I know this is Christian fiction, but I don't really want to read about God forgiving sins like twelve times in one chapter. Also, the ending was absurd and really abrupt. The whole point of this book was the women switching lives but really that's not the heart of the story at all. The original premise fe ...more
Erin
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really needs to let people know up front it's Christian fiction as I never would have started it had I known. I stuck with it because I wanted to know how the switch took place and then how "reveal" would be handled. Should have known it would have some perfect fairy tale ending. ...more
Lori
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Lynn Austin for a long time and the last book I read was Wonderland Creek. I thought this book was top notch but then along came this book If I were you.
I was thrilled when I seen this book! I prayed and had my fingers crossed that I'd get it. I did!!! I happily grabbed it up and I just now finished it. I sure wasn't disappointed!
I loved Audrey and Eve from the get go. They are two amazing women whose friendship has with stood the test of time.
I love when they support each o
Erin Laramore
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous book by Lynn Austin! This one follows 2 friends from 2 very different social classes as they struggle through the war (WWII) together. For differing reasons, they are both envious of the other longing for different aspects of life until one of them actually does steal the other's identity. A beautiful tale of forgiveness, friendship, love, and second chances. I strongly recommend! ...more
Christine
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
I would have rated it a three. But the novel starts off as average, easy-to-read historical fiction and ends up as heavy duty Christian! I think the author is trying to convert people. That was an odd experience.
Trisha
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Austin has created another masterpiece! This epic story is one that you will want to add to your personal collection! I absolutely loved walking in the shoes of these two dynamic characters. The personal growth, challenges faced, and honestly just everything these two friends endure, brings this story and these characters to life and left me feeling like I was part of the adventure!

This is a powerful story of friendship, forgiveness, and learning to let go of the past and move forward. You
Faye
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poignant tale of friendship, following two vastly different young women in WWII.

An engrossing read that pulled me in from the very beginning. Eve and Audrey couldn't be more different in social advantage as well as personality. Eve comes from a working class family, while Audrey has the weight of wealth and privilege.

I love how this book contrasts the girl's upbringings and personalities, showing how they are so different, yet compliment each other so well as friends. I loved the realistic r
Lucy
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have long been a fan of Lynn Austin and thought she couldn’t bring more to the table, but she has outdone herself with this beautiful lyrical novel. It tackles social class, war, friendship, love, family, faith, and forgiveness and does each like a well woven rug. I loved Eve and Audrey from the get go as young children to adulthood. Their friendship is forged and endures the test of time and a war that changes all involved. It shows the humanity of the characters and how poor decisions made i ...more
Jenn
I don't know what it was about this book but something was just off for me. I have really enjoyed all the other books I've read by Lynn Austin so I was expecting the same from this.

I really liked the friendship aspect between Eve and Audrey. It felt genuine and real to me. Even the times when they grew apart I understood why it happened and it seemed real. The story was terribly sad though. I kept waiting for something uplifting or happy to happen but it just kept getting more and more sad. I'm
Kristin
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I probably should have looked up what a Christy Award (right there on the cover) was before I started it. Christian books aren’t my thing. I thought it had a great premise but... I skipped to the last couple of chapters to see how it ended.
Sarah Messenger
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good good book. A powerful story of friendship and forgiveness. An awesome story and writing. I was sad went I turned the last page.
Jackie
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is consistent with other thought-provoking books by Lynn Austin. It talks about the friendship between two women from different social classes, and how it pulses from having a great impact on each other's lives to a type of indifference/anger. This book jumps from London's bombing in 1945 to 1950, back to 1931 multiple times. It was an excellent story, but I felt the time jumps may have prevented me from appreciating the characters.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinion
Rochelle Saldaña
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was engaging and very good. However, it ended way too tidily and quickly. I wanted a more complicated ending, but still...worth the read!
Rachael
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This novel is truly spectacular. It weaves strong characters, wonderful historical detail, and a well contrived and heartfelt plot to create that I stayed up way into the night to read. Lynn Austin has put out many terrific novels, but this one is definitely in the top five for me!

The view of war history from two women in England who are heavily involved was a different type of historical setting and viewpoint than I have ever read.

This book also had a strong faith theme that was so natural to
Maris Brown
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, adult
I want to start off by saying that I read this for a book club and it's normally a book that I wouldn't pick up. It's very much of the mom brand of historical fiction where it's set in the past but we really don't engage much with the history. Yes, there were was tons of mentions of the war, but it was in a light dainty way that is palatable for hallmark viewers. I'm not saying you can't read and like this book. I just found it overwhelmingly underwhelming.

In general the whole idea of beginning
Goodreads Librari...: Adding cover images for If I Were You book editions 3 19 Nov 08, 2019 07:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Title release date correction 2 13 Nov 05, 2019 12:39PM

• Once Upon a River
  • Golden Poppies (Freedman/Johnson, #3)
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Under the Tulip Tree
  • Hurt Road
  • Summer of Deception
  • The Enlightenment of Bees
  • Girl Waits with Gun (Kopp Sisters, #1)
  • Where Hope Prevails (Return to the Canadian West #3)
  • Love Lettering
  • Fortune's Daughter
  • Midnight Train to Prague
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire: The Guide to Being Glorious You
  • The Farm Stand (Amish Marketplace #2)
  • Maigret and the Ghost: " Maigret and the Hotel Majestic " , " Three Beds in Manhattan " and " Maigret and the Ghost "
  • The Glass Ocean
  • Code Name Hélène
For many years, Lynn Austin nurtured a desire to write but frequent travels and the demands of her growing family postponed her career. When her husband's work took Lynn to Bogota, Colombia, for two years, she used the B.A. she'd earned at Southern Connecticut State University to become a teacher. After returning to the U.S., the Austins moved to Anderson, Indiana, Thunder Bay, Ontario, and later ...more

News & Interviews