Start by marking “The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter and the Kid #3)” as Want to Read:
The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter and the Kid #3)

The Art of Breathing

(Bear, Otter, and the Kid #3)

Tyson Thompson graduated high school at 16 and left the town of Seafare, Oregon, bound for what he assumed would be bigger and better things. He soon found out the real world has teeth, and he returns to the coast with four years of failure, addiction, and a diagnosis of panic disorder trailing behind him. His brother, Bear, and his brother's husband, Otter, believe coming ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 387 pages
Published November 1st 2019 by BOATK Books (first published June 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Breathing, please sign up.
Sandra At the end TJ mentions that there will one more book to 'finish' this family's story, so I definitely think it will stick with the same characters.…moreAt the end TJ mentions that there will one more book to 'finish' this family's story, so I definitely think it will stick with the same characters. I'm hoping it will give us more of Ty and Dom, although there will almost definitely be a lot Bear and Otter given new events/additions to the family.(less)

Start your review of The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter and the Kid #3)
T.J.
Jan 23, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
Pre-Order Now Available Ahead of June 16th Release!

As a way of saying thank you for your patience, I give you the blurb for BOATK3, The Art of Breathing. Much love.

Tyson Thompson graduated high school at sixteen and left the town of Seafare, Oregon, bound for what he assumed would be bigger and better things. He soon found out the real world has teeth, and he returns to the coast with four years of failure, addiction, and a diagnosis of panic disorder
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
description

*4.5 stars*

What a long, crazy journey folks!! I read this book feverishly all day yesterday and I am BURSTING with things to say! Can I spew them out in anything that resembles coherency? Only time will tell...

My favorite part of reading this book was the familiarity of it. I wanted to cry with joy at seeing my favorite characters again. Seriously. I've been waiting for this book for so long and just reading the first few pages brought tears to my eyes. I knew I was in for an EPIC angsty
Susan

It's familiar.
It’s emotional.
It’s frustrating.

But it’s HOME.

When I go home for the holidays, I typically face 50+ extended family members speaking in various forms of English, broken English, or Korean. Asking me why I’m not married, aren’t I going to have children, why my hair is so long, if I’ve gained weight, how my job is going, will I ever move back to San Diego…it’s INSANITY. And I go every year,
.Lili.
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo imagejpg1_zps45a7caae.jpg

The Art of Breathing by TJ Klune is the third in the Bear, Otter, and the Kid. In this book we get Tyson, the Kid's, POV. This book has three different parts and follows Ty from his childhood to the four years following his high school graduation. This book is typical Klune. It was full of endearing characters, angst, and humor. Here we got to catch up with the whole gang from Seafare and are introduced to Corey/Kori (<---CAN. NOT. WAIT. FOR. HIS. BOOK!). This book also includes the mother of
Wendy
4/18/19 Needed to do another re-read after reading Corey/Kori's story !!

I absolutely loved "the Kid's" story. Probably because I absolutely love and adore "the Kid". Ever since the beginning of this series, he has been my favorite character and this book solidified my feelings even more.

This book starts when Ty is 9 years old and living in "The Green Monstrosity". This is when he first meets Dominic (Dom), who's 15 years old and a giant :).

From that moment on, the two of them are the best of
Cory
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God, I loved it! I mean seriously, seriously, loved it! I'm not shocked because I think TJ Klune is a brilliant writer. I love the characters that he brings to life. Do they get on my nerves sometimes?? Hell yes...but aren't they supposed to? My friends in real life (no one on Goodreads of course LOL) get on my aggravate me sometimes too. OK, enough about how much I love TJ and his books and let's get back to the current book at hand.

Rest assured, there will be SPOILERS ahead so please
* Meli Mel *

5 "Inevitable" Stars

"Took us a while."
He chuckles. "You could say that."
"It won't be easy."
"Nothing worth having ever is."
I smile. "That's pretty damn cheesy. Lucky for you it worked."

I am a HUGE fan of this series and this author, ever since I read the first book. So, when I heard a third book was coming out, I. Could. Not. Wait. And now that I have finished reading it, I am happy to say that it did not disappoint.

As soon as I opened the book, I was hit hard with nostalgia. I freaking
Ele
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I never know where I stand with Klune's books. It's either meh or 5 stars. I loved this as fiercely as I loved Wolfsong.
Alvin
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of BOATK and M/M Rom lovers in general
AN INEVITABLE HIT!

ONE OF THE GREATEST BOOKS I'VE READ THIS YEAR SO FAR!
I've read some of Mr. TJ Klune's books already and I can already tell (I think) his writing style. I call it "ALL-OUT". Let it all out there, no holding back kind of writing. And with that, he gets ALL MY EMOTIONS OUT when I read his books.

Into This River I Drown has All Out Grief
Tell Me It's Real has All Out Laughter
and the Bear, Otter, and the Kid has All Out Drama.

And its third installment also has that. This third
Jewel
I want to say I'm ready for the fourth book. And I am...I so am. But I'm not ready to say goodbye. I doubt I ever will be.

---From my second reading (23-25 Nov 2015)---
The Art of Breathing grounds me like no other book manages to accomplish. When I am feeling out of sorts or can't seem to get into another book, sometimes I will just pick this book up and start reading from a random-ish point and just read for a while. It never fails to get me back on track. This time, I decided to read it from
Gigi
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was getting ready to bitch and moan, "Wait! This isn't a HEA, it's totally a HFN! I need more!!" Because I thought this was a trilogy. But, fuck me running, there is another book in the works!! To say I'm excited would be an understatement!

Loved this book. Cried like a baby, but loved it.
Ariana
Reread August 2017:

Ok. It took one rainy day and absolutely no self control - but I finished this in one go. (again)
And I loved it - ok, I may have skimmed over some of Bear's outbursts, but in essence all I can say - I am in awe of TJ Klune. Always will be. For some reason Tyson's story just gets me on a very personal level. His panic attacks are so real. His courage is breathtaking.
And Dominic is just so awesome I can hardly express it. A bit emotional at the moment. So I leave you with my
Josy
So, so awesome, fantastic, and amazing!! I have no words!

I can't wait to start the last book but I already know that I'm going to be really sad when I finish this series.
Jaela
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book a bit less than the previous one, but a 5 star rating nonetheless. I liked Ty's POV very much. Sometimes he seems so naive and cute, despite the GENIOUS he is and claims to be.

There were so many tender moments, so many moments Ty feels unsure and all his suffering with the panic disorder. I loved how he sees his relationship between Bear and Otter:

"I've never understood how people could be so against them when they look at each other the way they do. All they've ever
HR readsNstuff
This book started off really well and it jerked my heart strings nicely with some good old fashioned angst. Unfortunately I had one big problem about the story which started happening when Ty got back to seafare. (view spoiler) ...more
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

Another heartfelt win, this brought all the elements I loved in the first two books and applied it to Ty and his journey which is tightly interwoven with that of his BFF Dominic - their first meet cute, their deep friendship, and a devastating turn of events that definitely tests what they mean to each other and how they reconcile their issues.

As Ty comes to learn some facts and accept some truths, this was never short on the drama, as it often takes obliviousness and denial to new
Rose

My all time favorite author! I want Tj and Eric strong,healthy,HAPPY and married.
♥Sharon♥
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This series is MAGICAL! I have completely fallen for Bear, Otter and Tyson. I wish each of these guys were real. Actually I wish all the characters in this book were real. Dominic, Creed, Anna and all the others.

These people have become one of my favorite book families and I am dreading letting them go. I’ve already started book #4 and it is shaping up to be just as fabulous as the other three.

In The Art of Breathing we get mostly Tyson’s (Kid) voice. This kid, now a young man, has been
Elsbeth

Re-read in Audio, April 20th

description - Narrator Sean Crisden

First of all, I want to say the audio makes this book/this series so much better!! So, Yay to Sean Crisden… What a terrific job he did!!!
What a journey this series has been….

I have laughed my ass off, cried ugly tears… These characters feel so real to me.

Bear, Otter and the Kid… Creed, Anna, JJ, mrs Paquin, Dom etc.

This book is about the Kid who isn’t a kid anymore. He’s Tyson. Ty still has issues, major panic attacks where he doesn’t remember
Vanessa North
I haven't decided on a star rating yet, but here goes!

Of the three books in this series, this is the first I read in ebook form--the other two I listened to in audiobook. I have to say, reading, actually READING, the McKenna patented inner monologue is kind of exhausting--I think I prefer this series in audio!

On the subject of the writing--TJ Klune is a very talented writer who is really good at guiding a reader through a host of emotions, making them cry and then offering comedic relief,
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}

"Here are the places of my youth.
Here are the things I've tried to forget.
Here they all are, spread out around me, and it's like I've never left.
Here is where it began.
And here is where it begins again."

Oh Tyson. Poor, poor Tyson.

The Kid is in a bad place, I guess it's not really surprising that the events of Ty's past have begun to weigh heavily on him. Ty is lost, lost and confused and his way of dealing with his ghosts really isn't working.

'The Art of Breathing' is more than Ty and Dom's
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
T.J. Klune is a brilliant writer! No doubt about it! He can write a very angsty depressing gut wrenching scene and the next page would be LOL moments. He's really good at making emotions jump right off the page. Why not 5 stars? I find Ty's internal monologues a bit too much. It was kind of frustrating and exhausting to live inside his head. (view spoiler) There's also a sadness to the story. Even as the story ended, ...more
Duck
3.5 stars...

I have to admit I am a T.J. Klune fan. His characters are known for neurotic monologues that I find hilarious and endearing.

I'm just not sure how I feel about this latest release. I enjoyed the story but there are aspects that I had issues with. First I feel like the book is too long. This is unusual for me, I normally prefer a longer story. It seems like most of this book is spent in Tyson's head - inner dialog that runs along similar lines over and over and over. I found myself
Sara
I will review this once I can breathe....I will just say I loved it for now. Ty and Dom...Dominic he is beautiful and may have passed Otter up on my list of swoony boys in books. Just a tad but damn, he really had some good moments. Classic Death by Klune this was.
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Not exactly what I expected, but not in a bad way. After that ending I am DYING for a 4th book. Pretty please TJ???? Please???
Traci
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 5-star-books, reread
OMG, LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it! I'm afraid to review it because I do not want to give away any teasers, because, I just can't, you have to read it and gasp, cry, laugh, and do all that all over again depending on which chapter you are on.

T.J. you did it again!! Of course the dinner scene, of course, the knock knock jokes, and Bear's famous rants!! I feel like I am in your head when I read Bear's famous scenes and cannot believe you can write a conversation like that down. It's like you have to be
Meags
Sometimes 5 stars just don’t seem like enough…

I seriously had trouble putting this one down when I had to go be an adult and actually do important shit, and sleep was definitely lost as a result of my (obsessive) late night reading – but it was all totally worth it!

The Kid’s story was everything I wanted it to be.

For me, Tyson Thompson (nè McKenna) is a high ranking member of my all-time favourite book characters list, which is no easy feat. I made this decision when he was only a little guy
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Make sure to enter the giveaway for a copy of the paperback:

description

OHHH.MY.GAAAWD

I’m so in love. With TJ Klune. Don’t tell my husband. Its unfair to him to know that he has competition for my heart. Not that my love will ever be requited. I know that. And I am totally ok with that. I have a case of awe-inspiring hero worship.

Typical heroes carry shit. Like swords, and light-spears, they have bat mobiles and spider webs, A gold lasso. A cape.

My heroes always carry words. ALWAYS.

Christelle
I hated it and loved it with an equal passion. How did TJK manage to make us feel like Bear, Otter and Ty are part of our circle of family, despite the OTTness of it all ? That’s why I love this series and why I hated the beginning of the book : I ached for Ty soooo much it was not funny. After everything the Kid went through, really, why torturing him again and again ? The angst almost choked me.

That’s where I know a read gets to me : I can feel for the characters.

I just wanted Ty to have a
Cindi
Full review can be found at -

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png

We've been there from the beginning. We watched Bear as he fought like hell to take care of his little brother (Tyson, aka the Kid) after their mother abandoned them. We watched the Kid grow up as Bear and Otter went to hell and back to finally have their happily-ever-after. We cried as the Kid battled his earthquakes and we watched as Bear was always there for him - his brother, his protector, his everything. We watched the Kid grow up before our eyes.

In The Art
BR <3 31 53 Aug 11, 2014 11:23AM
BOATK Drinking Game! 1 42 Jun 19, 2014 08:01AM
Dreamspinner Press: The Art of Breathing by TJ Klune 2 53 Jun 16, 2014 11:42PM

• Golden Boy and the Two Bears (Happily Ever Asher, #2)
  • Frog
  • Mine
  • Leo Loves Aries (Signs of Love, #1)
  • Unwrapping Hank (Unwrapping Hank, #1)
  • Tigers on the Run (Tigers and Devils, #3)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • A King in Wonderland (Happily Ever Asher, #3)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • Breaking Point (Turning Point, #2)
  • Starting Point (Turning Point, #3)
  • Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)
  • Acrobat
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more

Bear, Otter, and the Kid (4 books)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • The Long and Winding Road (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #4)
“Tyson,” he breathes. My name on his lips is like a revelation, and I want to break. I want to shatter. I want to tell him things I can’t even admit to myself. “What?” I croak. “You know I love you, right?” His gaze searches mine. “Yeah.” Because I do. I’ve known since the beginning. It’s inevitable—our word of the day, the word of our friendship.” 14 likes
“We’re inevitable.” 12 likes