Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
The Silent Treatment

The Silent Treatment

‘A remarkable debut which doesn’t go where you expect it to go. I very much look forward to seeing what she writes next.’ JOJO MOYES
___________________________
A lifetime together. Six months of silence. One last chance.

Frank hasn't spoken to his wife Maggie for six months.

For weeks they have lived under the same roof, slept in the same bed and eaten at the same table – all

Expected publication: April 2nd 2020 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Start your review of The Silent Treatment
Nilufer Ozmekik
What is wrong with me? Don’t say “everything” I can hear you! Why didn’t I like this book so much?
I think I’m not in a wrong place, I’m at home and it’s not wrong time, it’s around 2 a.m. I finished a book and writing a review (Actually I started it but probably finish it tomorrow and post it another time line and who cares, my timing is still right!) so this is not you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time situation. This is totally you’re holding the wrong book for your taste and you cannot
Emer (A Little Haze)
Do you ever feel like you're just the wrong reader for a book? That for some reason a perfectly well written book with an interesting plot just doesn't appeal to you.

That's what has happened to me with The Silent Treatment.

There are no real reasons why I didn't enjoy this book as I should have. I think it's purely down to very personal reasons. I just felt very alienated from the world of these characters as what they were experiencing was something too removed from my own life.

The story
Jayme
There is no doubt that this debut novel is well written...

It just wasn’t a story that I could relate to personally, as I never had the desire to have children.

I was expecting a book about the break down of a relationship but did not realize there would be a strong focus on parenting when I requested this.

Maggie doesn’t feel like she, or her family can be complete, unless she becomes a mother. And, her greatest desire is to not only become a Mom, but to be the best version of a Mom, that a
Gilly Macmillan
In her tremendously moving debut, a novel that pulses with emotional tension, Abbie Greaves masterfully unpicks a history of ordinary lives facing extraordinary challenges. I found it impossible to look away from the relationship at the heart of this novel.
Hristina
This book is written just beautifully. I liked so much about it, but even if I didn't, the writing would've been enough for me to enjoy it. It flowed so naturally, and it helped me immerse myself in the story almost immediately, which is not something a lot of books do.
This is a character driven book, and they were brought to the page perfectly. Their relationship and the issues within it were intriguing throughout the read.
This was amazing, and it was hard to put down. I recommend it.

*Copy
Elaine
I was stoked when I received a copy of The Silent Treatment from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I thought the premise was intriguing, yet as I was reading, I realized it was a bit hard to suspend disbelief for.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Frank and Maggie have been married for a long time. When a family tragedy forces Frank to withdraw from the only woman he's ever loved, Maggie takes a drastic step herself that forces her husband to reassess their life together.

Will Frank be able to save Maggie before
Juana
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, novels
** I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest and unbiased review **

This book enthralled me on so many levels that it is almost difficult for me to find the words to explain why it’s a novel I’d recommend. The voice of the two main characters, Frank and Maggie, is so powerful that I really felt as if I was intruding in their lives, peeking at their diaries, at their most intimate moments.

Both characters feel so real that, even with the mystery of the secret that led
Mary Lou
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frank has not spoken to Maggie, his wife of forty years, in six months.
Maggie is now critically ill in hospital and Frank has little time to explain why he has been silent for so long.
I’m afraid this book was not for me. I revisited the blurb on Netgalley to clarify my inappropriate selection but the summary is actually vague enough to mislead me. Let me just stress, the problem lies with me, many will absolutely love this book.
I may be pedantic, but I like an accurate backdrop against which a
Robin
Compelling and emotional. I couldn't put it down.

More review to come soon.

To be published in April 2020. Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
Bidisha
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trickles into the heart and grips you to pay attention
Rating - 3.75
#NetGalley #TheSilentTreatment #AbbieGreaves
It is hard to believe this was written by a debutante. It is moving, to say the least.
The Silent Treatment urges you to re-examine life and relationships, a la Julian Barnes’ Sense of an Ending. It is hard-hitting yet humble, creating that rare combination that is scarce in this genre. In its essence, Greaves’ debut novel is a love story. The spouses have stopped speaking with each
Alison Eden
#TheSilentTreatment #NetGalley An emotional book about the roller coaster lives of Frank and Maggie. Their love story draws you in and you really feel the emotions from both Frank and Maggie's perspective. However, I did find the book to very slow to get going and I didn't really enjoy the way the story was told as Frank reliving their whole relationship. For me there was too much detail and not enough action. The change of narrative half way through to show Maggie's perspective did bring about ...more
Jennifer Garber
Natasha Ellis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s not often a book makes me cry, this book did. A really heartbreaking, well written story about marriage and being a parent. Highly recommend.
Caroline Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Frank and Maggie have had a lifetime together but for the last six months, Frank hasn’t uttered a word to Maggie. Life has continued -eating, sleeping, sex - but no words. Maggie has tried to make him talk to her without success. So Maggie takes matters into her own hands.

My first thought on reading the blurb of this book was to wonder what exactly could make a husband stop speaking to his wife for six months? Did she do something wrong? Or did he? Was there something he was ashamed of? Feeling
Lucille
I asked to review The Silent Treatment based on the many accolades it has already received from other writers.

The US Marketing spiel: 'Resonant with the emotional power of the bestselling novels of David Nicholls and Jojo Moyes, a rich and poignant debut about lies, loss, and a transcendent love at the heart of a troubled marriage.' Not entirely true. David Nicholls and Jojo Moyes books were uplifting whereas The Silent Treatment, while an emotional read, left me depressed.

The premise is of the
Katy Wilson
This seems to be a book that you either love or it leaves you a bit unsatisfied. I am sorry that I am in the latter group. I read it fairly quickly, enjoyed it well enough but found the central premise rather unbelievable. To accept that after 40 years of apparently extremely happy marriage, Frank stops speaking to Maggie while carrying on normal life, is pushing my ability to enter the story. He has his reasons and she tries to get through to him but fails until the day he finds her slumped on ...more
Sheila A.
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALONG PETAL BY THE SEA

BY

Isabel Allende

Not usually a fan of books where politics are a prominent theme, I loved this book.
It has everything. I have a better understanding of the Spanish Civil War now and the emotional and physical turmoil that refugees suffered in the aftermath, losing everything.
Each chapter opens with a quote from the work of Nobel Prize winner, Pablo Neruda, a Chilean poet and politician. He chartered a ship, the Winnipeg, to take 2,200 refugees from the war to Chile. The
Joan
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Advance Reader’s Edition

Maggie and Frank, married for some forty years, have, by choice, not spoken to each other for the past six months.

Not one word.

Today, Maggie lies in the hospital, unconscious, quite possibly never to recover from her suicide attempt. And now, finally, Frank will talk to Maggie. But will his words be enough . . . or are they too little and far too late?

Well-defined characters populate this eloquent tale of a marriage floundering over the secrets both are
Snoakes
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-or-blagged
The Silent Treatment is a bittersweet novel about a marriage and the trials and tribulations that the couple endure. After forty years, Frank has stopped speaking to his wife Maggie. As the book starts this has been going on for six months and when Maggie is taken into hospital Frank takes his opportunity to tell her all the things he should have said before. And so the first section of the book is Frank telling their story. Maggie gets her voice later on as things are brought to a head and we ...more
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn’t turn the pages quickly enough as I was so enthralled by Frank and Maggie’s stories and so eager to discover what had turned Frank mute six months ago. This was beautifully told and I loved Frank who was so utterly in love with Maggie and though she was a more difficult character in her own eyes I really liked Maggie too, she was very human. This unfolds so well and the issues they faced thoughtfully told although I really don’t want to give the plot away ...more
Fern
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-wrenching, utterly captivating debut from a shining new voice. In The Silent Treatment, Abbie Greaves celebrates the phenomenal power of love, loss and leaving nothing unsaid through a unique portrayal of a long marriage with all its secrets and silence.

Cleverly crafted and beautifully written, this novel pulses with an unspoken tenderness that moved me beyond means.

Frank and Maggie are unforgettable characters who’s love and challenges will repeatedly capture your heart.

A must read
Katie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trigger warnings for a suicide attempt and addiction.

This book starts with a wife attempting suicide. Then it’s a monologue interwoven with flashbacks from her husband about what lead them both to this point.

The book was alright I didn’t particularly like either husband or wife. I found that the topics discussed were fairly superficial on the depth. I felt like the ending was too easy and everything was tied up too quickly.
Sally Boocock
A bittersweet story of a couple who have been living in silence for 6months. Told from the perspective firstly of the husband and then the wife it gradually explains what happened to cause the husband to stop talking. I liked the way the husbands story was told in a conversation with his wife at the hospital and the wife's told from a journal she wrote. The reason why doesn't become clear until the end. Both had secrets . A sad but uplifting novel .
Jacqueline Allan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sincere thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me an ebook copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I enjoyed this story very much and felt like I knew each character personally due to the description of them. I enjoyed the storyline. This is not my usual genre but in this instance I am extremely pleased and grateful for opening up my mind to something totally different. Thanks again.
Beverley
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect from this book but wow, I was absolutely blown away. Such an emotive storyline, beautiful told and so believable. As a mother myself I could identify with so many of the emotions and insecurities of being a parent, 'learning on the job. Outstanding and highly memorable.
Laun
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The premise of the book and the way the story is told makes it an easy read. The reader has the opportunity to get inside the thoughts and feelings of the main protagonists. I enjoyed how my understanding of these characters unfolded and I think the balanced way they are represented is the highlight of the novel
Cheryl
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. It is a bittersweet story of love and missed opportunities to say things to one another. It made me smile and also reduced me to tears, it will stay with me for a long time.
Deborah
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a heartbreaking tale. Such sorrow and guilt held by both parties. This is why it is good to talk!! I struggled with this to begin with, but so glad I stuck with it and In the end I had tears streaming down my face.
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC; the book is due out in April of 2020. Well written, touching, believable and sad. The story unfolds slowly, revealing the events that brought Maggie to the drastic measures taken in the opening chapter.
Lorraine
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to review this book or what my real feelings are.

I read the book in a couple of days and felt engaged enough to finish it but felt a bit let down by the final reveal.

I am sorry but I don't think it was for me, but I am sure other people will enjoy it.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Eight Perfect Murders
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • I Made a Mistake
  • The Dilemma
Abbie Greaves studied at Cambridge University before working in a literary agency for a number of years.

She was inspired to write her first novel, THE SILENT TREATMENT, after reading a newspaper article about a boy in Japan who had never seen his parents speak to one another before. It will be published in April 2020.

Abbie lives in Edinburgh with her boyfriend and is hard at work on her follow-up