Start by marking “Who We Are (Bear, Otter and the Kid #2)” as Want to Read:
Who We Are (Bear, Otter and the Kid #2)

Who We Are

(Bear, Otter, and the Kid #2)

Bear, Otter, and the Kid survived last summer with their hearts and souls intact. They’ve moved into the Green Monstrosity, and Bear is finally able to admit his love for the man who saved him from himself.

But that's not the end of their story. How could it be?

The boys find that life doesn’t stop just because they got their happily ever after. There’s still the custody
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 373 pages
Published October 31st 2019 by BOATK Books (first published April 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Who We Are, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who We Are

Start your review of Who We Are (Bear, Otter and the Kid #2)
T.J.
Apr 05, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
FYI--

I don't know why this says 350 pages (maybe DSP rounds up? Like by alot?) It's actually 329 pages, slightly shorter than BOATK.

Who We Are is my love letter to all the fans who have stuck by me through thick and thin, the good times and the bad, over these past eight months (doesn’t it feel like so much longer?) since I was first published. It’s my way of saying thank you for allowing me to be an author and to tell my stories. It’s my way of letting you know me better. Make sure you read the
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Re-read 6/16/14**

Loved it as much as the first time! It is about 1,000 times better than the first and I'm BEYOND pumped to start The Art of Breathing now. So much love for this one, so much love.

**Original review from 3/9/13**

Okay, I didn't just love this book. I LOVED THIS BOOK. I think I'm in the minority here when I say that I liked it even more than the first. Like I kind of want to make this book my boyfriend and snuggle it at night.

Why did I love this book so much? It is like a more
T.A. Webb
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note – If you have not read “Bear, Otter and the Kid”, you need to know there will be references in this review to events in that book. Don't read further, go buy the darn book. Then come back. If not, read on and take your chances...

“What is it about brothers that make us act so much differently than we normally would? Why is there a bond there that doesn't exist anywhere else?”

In BOATK, Derrick (Bear) is left to raise his six-year-old brother Tyson (The Kid) when their mom suddenly leaves with
Jewel
There is a part of this story - and those of you that have read it will know which part I am talking about - that, even knowing what was happening and how it all turned out, ripped my heart out. But you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way. Bear's family, as crazy, weird and unique as they are, are worth the emotional investment. We should all be so lucky.

I love this series so much! And as much as I need The Long and Winding Road (like I need to breathe)...I don't want it to end.

Kaje Harper
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
If you liked BOATK, you will love this one. Bear is still Bear, with his inner monologues driven by anxiety and free-association. The Kid is still sweet, scarily smart, a little manipulative, and a little fragile. Otter is still the rock they cling to, except when they can't. This book is tighter than the first, and funnier. The plot has some wonderful twists, and some less so. The mood swings are almost bipolar, but you will be sucked along for the ride. And the love is steadfast and gorgeous ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“... it's not about where you come from. It's about who you are.”

This is such a sweet series. I am dying to read the next book so I am very quickly gonna review this one so they don't blend. Who We Are is the second part to Bear Otter & the Kid, a continuation. Bear and Otter have moved in together and are in the process of adopting the Kid. It's an adjustment period in their lives and while nothing is perfect, they are very happy together.

First thing I have to get off my
Susan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

2.5 Stars

Stop while you’re ahead
Too much of a good thing
Sophomore slump

Ahhh yes, all those warnings that make you worry about reading a sequel to a book you really liked. I never listen. I should’ve listened.

I loved “Bear, Otter, and the Kid” (surprisingly). And though I had no need for a sequel, there it was…and so I read it. I almost DNF’d this book. If I hadn’t loved the characters from book 1, I would have been so aggravated by how this was written.

It felt like TJ Klune took all the good
Mary
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot going on in this sequel but for me the center of the universe is again, our narrator, Bear. He has a lot to learn this time too but what never ceases to amaze about him is his ability to be the grounding center of the universe for everyone in his life. Outwardly there seem to be people stronger than him, Otter certainly, Creed, arguably, and the villains of the piece. But what I loved was seeing the change in him. At the beginning of the book he is the same sort of gun-shy guy in ...more
Christelle
Not a standalone : let’s get back to where it ended with Bear, Otter, and the Kid. So much stuff still going on : what about Ty’s custody, what about the burgeoning relationship between Bear and Otter and between Creed and Ana, what about Bear and Creed’s friendship, what about….???

The prologue is absolutely hilarious and the ending and the epilogue ? 5 stars and more.
What got me confused was the big coming out to the family and, as Karen said, Mrs Paquinn going to Lalaland. Let’s not mention
Jaela
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My words fail me when I'm about to review a book of this series.

First of all, I would like to say that the cover is just awful. PLEASE DON'T judge this book by its cover. . This is the most wonderful story you'll ever read.

The story in this book is told by Bear- The DRAMA QUEEN . He tends to dramatize everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. He gets annoyed by everything and complains about LITERALLY EVERYTHING. But this is nothing compared to the love he has for his partner OTTER and his brother
Gennie Gee
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve read Bear, Otter and the Kid by TJ Klune and loved it than you will not be disappointed by the second installment, Who We Are. The book begins with what I think is perhaps the best prologue ever! Seriously, you should read it, especially if you read a lot of M/M paranormal stuff. Hilariousness ensues!

Who We Are picks up almost right where Bear, Otter and the Kid left off and we are treated to the fascinating and warped (in a good and endearing way) inner workings of Bear’s view of the
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
This is the ugliest cover!

LMAO just looking at it.

Probably shouldn't let "the kid" paint your book cover. Was amusing to laugh at though.
* Meli Mel *

5 'Hilariously Crazy' STARS

Family is not defined by blood (...) It's the people around you who see you at your worst and are not afraid to pick up the pieces when you fall apart. It's the people who look at you each time they see you like they haven't seen you in years. It's the people who you fight for. It's the people you'd lay down your life for. It's the scariest thing in the world, but, if you let it, it's also the greatest.

Another amazing book to the series. I freaking LOVED this one
Meags
5 Stars

This was easily a 5 star read for me, and I don’t just hand those out willy-nilly. This story put me through the wringer; on occasion, I like to be emotionally thwacked by a good book – I tend to revere any book that can bring me to tears, and I’ll happily dish out bonus points to any book that can produce a good ugly cry (which this one did).

As much as I worshiped the first book, I think I enjoyed this one even more. I have a thing for sequels that follow the everyday lives of
Tara♥ {MindforBooks}
1st read - 13 January to 15 January 2015. Which was 5 stars and awesome.

Audio - 8 April to 15 April 2016. DNF'ing because it is absolutely awful. The quality is shit. The narration is shit and even though I only got as far as 18% there is a very real possibility it's ruined this book for me. 1 Star. I now need to go carve out time to reread this so that I can remind myself of its greatness and just hope like fuck those voices aren't stuck in my head. Mrs. Paquinn had an English accent FFS!!!!

Karen
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
'Who We Are' was a mixed bag for me. There were things that I really liked as much or more than the first book and then there were other things that didn't click quite as well for me. But at the end of it all was a story that I really enjoyed.

The humor was stronger in this book more than once I found myself laughing out loud and sharing bits of it with hubby which as he will tell you is not something that I do unless I'm really enjoying a story. There were also parts of the story that I related
Ariana
Reread July 2017:
And I loved it just as much! It is simply a masterpiece of "verbosity"! Omg, that play around words at 23% - such brilliant writing and so funny! And as in many other books TJ Klune defines his (imo very true) idea of family:

Family is not defined by blood. It's not always who you're born to that you're stuck with. It's what you want it to be, what you make of it. It's the people around you who see you at your worst and are not afraid to pick up the pieces when you fall apart.
MLE
I'm sorry book I tried, but I just can't do it. The Kid drives me insane. He is rude, dismissive, disrespectful, arrogant, and almost mean. He needs boundaries not someone who supports his poor behavior, and treatment of his brother.
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!!

Solid gold entertainment!

Again, front and center is the love that is Otter and Bear, and I basked in all its insecurities, strengths, and possessiveness. Despite what may seem like a whirlwind romance, these two have been circling each other for years. It was very nice to see snippets of them in the past, as well as the tender, bonding moments between Bear and the Kid.

I have to hand it to Klune - he doesn’t skimp on the emotions, the humor, or the swoon factor. This was one
Gigi
I couldn't have loved it more. Going right in book 3,
Bev
*** 'Hey you. Hey yourself'. Listening my way through this series, and even though Charlie David narrated this particular story for some inexplicable reason [thank you Dreamspinner...not!!], I will listen to it again. Sean Crisden is by far the better narrator. This old cover is horrendous, the new one is SO much better. One of my favourite series in all of the M/M genre. Thank you so much TJ.***

WANTED

A Man like Otter, straight (preferably) but who cares really, just being friends would
Wendy
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor 5 stars

First of all, this is the second book in this series and it should not be read as a stand-alone. Book 1 was awesome, so my advise, go read that one if you haven't already, you won't be sorry ;)

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor what are you waiting for + gif

I finished the first book in this series and I was so captivated by all the wonderful characters, that I jumped right into this second installment.

Again, to me this book was magical, I liked it even more than the first one. Once again, TJ Klune has managed to make my laugh my ass off and cry my eyes out. I
Cindi
I am not big on series that focus on the same couple throughout. I want my happy ending after the first book. I don't want to go into book 2 where the couple has been together for however long and then more issues arise. It's like "here we go again". I really hate that so I tend stay away from those types of series or books with any type of sequel. This book wasn't like that. It picked up immediately after Bear, Otter and the Kid. It was necessary considering all the unanswered questions in the ...more
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
10 Stars!!!!

Damn you TJ Klune!!!

Off to find some comfort food, and cuddle with my hubby! In need of some smut!

It was so hard for me to pick up book 2. I wanted some space between my emotions and this series, but do I ever listen? Hell no! :)

I loved that in this book it was so much less angst( Thank the GODS), more sexy time, and more THE KID!!!!

Okay, I liked Isaiah, I thing he reminded Bear of what he has, what he is, and what is what people. I like the horny twink, buff thing he had going on!
Cristina T.
It has now been a little over three weeks since I finished Who We Are, and I still don't know how to express what this book means to me. I've been sitting in front of my laptop for about an hour. Typing. Deleting. Typing. Deleting. Because nothing I have to say about this mesmerizing book feels right. My words feel worthless and empty. Not enough.

I could tell you how much Bear has grown, how he is the strong one, how he's still struggling with expressing himself, and how he's very funny when he
Jay
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance
I absolutely loved Bear, Otter, and the Kid it is one of my all-time favorite stories. So, of course when Who We Are was release I was excited and waited and waited and waited for Amazon to release it on the Kindle.

I was confused with the book opening and wasn’t sure what was going on, I just knew I didn’t like it. Then it was made clear and I was back on track to continue reading. All the main characters are back - the Kid is still the kid (smart, witty, and an eco-terrorist in training), Bear
Josy
~ 4.5 stars ~

Not quite as awesome as the first book but I still loved most of it. Lots of laughter and tears and I can't wait to find out where life is taking these guys next.
Sara
Where the Kid inspires me to write this before I write an actual review:

Bear, the Kid and Otter,
I didn’t want to read your sequel, you must trust.
The first book turned my heart into fodder (stay with me,)
But a friend told me I must.

She promised she would hold my hand,
That she would be there to see me through.
She did this without hesitation, you understand,
It’s just what we Unicorns do.

Your story, it started out fun, it was light and cheery,
Making me snort every time I did laugh.
I knew the angst
Gina
TOTALLY AWESOME AND OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

I don’t even know how to start this review or what to say….I will say that I literally laughed through the entire book! I have read books that have made me laugh out loud plenty of times, but this one literally had me laughing throughout.

Once again the neurosis filled, angst filled and around hero Bear leads us a narrative of his life and I was captivated and my heart was pulled in and I simply couldn’t put this down till I was done. BOATK was a 4 star read

• Clear Water
  • Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
  • Sense of Place (Thomas Elkin, #3)
  • Red Dirt Heart (Red Dirt, #1)
  • Change of Heart (Change of Heart, #1)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • Tigers on the Run (Tigers and Devils, #3)
  • Acrobat
  • Red Dirt Heart 3 (Red Dirt, #3)
  • Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Two (Spencer Cohen, #2)
  • Timing (Timing, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book One (Spencer Cohen, #1)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Three (Spencer Cohen, #3)
  • Frog
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more

Bear, Otter, and the Kid (4 books)
  • Bear, Otter, and the Kid (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #1)
  • The Art of Breathing (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #3)
  • The Long and Winding Road (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #4)
“Well, then, Otter, of course I don’t like Bundt cake. It has eggs in it. Baby chicken eggs. You don’t see chickens standing outside of maternity wards waiting to get our babies to make their Bundt cake, do you?” 36 likes
“Round 5: Telling him I felt bad about the puppy-shirt thing, I told him
we could go pick out a dog at the pound now that we had a yard for it.
Instead, I took him to the dentist. Winner: Bear “Rock Star” McKenna.”
27 likes