Start by marking “Left-Handed Death” as Want to Read:
Left-Handed Death

Left-Handed Death

His pen scratched the paper slowly, “I murd – I say, how do you spell ‘murdered’?”

Shergold Engineering Company has come into a bit of financial trouble. And it seems the Ministry-sent Barry Foster might just have something to do with it.

The company directors, Arthur Shergold and Guy Reeves, decide Foster must be stopped, and when Reeves confesses to the murder, it’s
Published October 30th 2019 by Agora Books (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Left-Handed Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left-Handed Death

Start your review of Left-Handed Death
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
“I like my murders to start at the beginning with the corpse and go on to the end with the conviction. But when you start in the middle with the confession—well, all I can say is, that it’s all wrong!”

Thus spake Scotland Yard’s Detective Inspector Hardwick, who doesn’t like the fact that a conceited dimbulb is confessing to the murder of a Ministry of Defense accountant. Hardwick doesn’t believe handsome rich boy Guy Reeves, mustered out of the Army due to a hand injury, and now the joint
Anjana
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something about this author that resonates with me, the skill with words makes up for anything missing from the actual deaths and the ensuing revelations. Once again, I used my husband to measure the random reactions of someone other than me. I left him the task of keeping the kindle page from going off, and to read the page if he felt like it in the meantime. Although it was the middle of the chapter, with no proper introductions to the people in the story, he found it intelligent and ...more
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

I enjoyed this second Richard Hull mystery, Left-Handed Death, more than the first one I read, And Death Came Too, and I hope that Agora Books will republish more from his back catalogue. Both books are standalone stories. Left-Handed Death was first published in 1946 and is set immediately post-war so I loved seeing aspects of life as it actually was then, rather than through a historical fiction lens. Snarky comments about the hours people
Rekha
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Left-handed Death is my first Richard Hull read and I am certainly looking forward to reading more of his works. I found the writing/story style to be similar to that of Bellairs'.

The ending is okayish. Since it is an inverted mystery, I wouldn't want to comment on it. (Inverted mysteries are either a hit or a miss, and depends on the ending.)

But, the humour bits and the mystery behind the identity of the killer makes this story an enjoyable read. I recommend this book to those who love mystery
Puzzle Doctor
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Full review at classicmystery.blog
Leyla Johnson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took a while to get into this book, and unfortunately it was predictable in outcome. Having said that, it was a very different approach to a mystery that I have come across, as with other Richard Hull books, the twist is in the prospective of the mystery.
I did enjoy it, again a book from the Golden Age era, with lots of connections to the era and great storytelling skills
Nick
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally penned some time around 1938, this is a very twee, and gentile murder mystery.

I would like to think, that like Nostradamus, the prediction of world war being in full throw during the setting of the book. Were, that of the author. However, I think that this may have been edited into the work to give it the extra impetus. Not that this detracts from the story itself.

It is everything that you would expect from a work that is circa 80 years old. A part of the Crime Club books. Having
Z Aung
Dec 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: ARC provided in return for an honest review.

Look, I'll be up front, this kind of book is not for me. I belong firmly in the present century so far as narrative structures go, with the exception of authors like Agatha Christie.

On the whole, though I wasn't a dazzled by the book, I can see how this would be enjoyable for people who ARE into this kind of thing. It's understated wry slight absurdist humour is Very British....a tad too British for me, I'm afraid.

Now, all that said, the
Eric
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and very readable, if a little slow to get going, this is yet another demonstration of Hull's versatility, and ability to spring a surprise.
This has a lot to say about wartime manners and mores as well as the Home Front bureaucracy which helped to win WW2. It was first published in 1946 and draws on Hull's own experiences as an auditor in government service.

Highly recommended, both to those already convinced of this author's worth and to newcomers.

Thank you to NetGalley and Agora Books
Kate
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
For my full review click on the link below:
Helen
Nonsense-user
Dec 02, 2019
Zoe
Dec 13, 2019

• A Knife for Harry Dodd (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #21)
  • Love Potions and Other Calamities
  • Death in Room Five (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #24)
  • The Opening Night Murders
  • The Measure of Malice
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle,#6)
  • Crime In Leper's Hollow (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #17)
  • Death Treads Softly (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #26)
  • The Body in the Dumb River (Chief Inspector Littlejohn, #35)
  • Death in Dark Glasses (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #19)
  • Yekl: A Tale Of The New York Ghetto
  • The Abbot's Ghost: A Christmas Story
  • King City
  • The Water Room (Bryant & May #2)
  • The Boat in the Evening
  • A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Death on the Danube: A New Year’s Murder in Budapest (Travel Can Be Murder Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
Richard Henry Sampson FCA (6 September 1896 – 1973), known by the pseudonym Richard Hull, was a British writer who became successful as a crime novelist with his first book in 1934.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...

Note: At least two other authors with the same name: Richard Hull-illustrator & Richard Hull-non-fiction
“I like my murders to start at the beginning with the corpse and go on to the end with the conviction. But when you start in the middle with the confession—well, all I can say is, that it's all wrong!” 0 likes