Start by marking “Devil Darling Spy (Orphan Monster Spy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Devil Darling Spy (Orphan Monster Spy, #2)

Devil Darling Spy

(Orphan Monster Spy #2)

The deadliest weapon is a girl with nothing to lose... Sarah is used to spying in the champagne-fuelled parties of Nazi Berlin. But her new mission is infinitely more deadly - tracking a lethal disease across bullet-torn Africa, to uncover the monster who would use it to create fifty million corpses. Her enemies think she is a terrified little girl. But she is a warrior ...more
Published March 5th 2020 by Usborne Publishing (first published January 21st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Devil Darling Spy, please sign up.
Casey No. There is no romance in this book at all. Spoiler from book one: Sarah was almost raped, but is not. And in book two, she vaguely rememberers it.…moreNo. There is no romance in this book at all. Spoiler from book one: Sarah was almost raped, but is not. And in book two, she vaguely rememberers it. That is all. That and then a lot of swearing in German! Over all a really good book!(less)

Start your review of Devil Darling Spy (Orphan Monster Spy, #2)
kit
was anybody going to tell me there's gonna be a sequel to orphan monster spy or was i just supposed to check goodreads by myself!!!!
Alicia
This was a densely packed beast. I thoroughly enjoyed following Sarah through Orphan Monster Spy as she developed into the title titles... but this one was so involved that it needs to be at least two books!

While the ending of the first book was a bit implausible, I was entertained and riveted by the moves they were both making to take down a criminal yet this pulled in so many darker elements in both Africa and Japan that I felt really lost. With the amount of information, it was like The
Blue
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Want to see more...
Bookstagram

Website
Thank you Usborne for this book in exchange for an honest review

Devil Darling Spy breaks my usual theory that sequels cannot be as amazing as the first but this proved me wrong.
Orphan Monster Spy was, in my opinion, a masterpiece. It had a great consistency throughout the book, from the characters to the plot, the whole book was written superbly. And Devil Darling Spy was no different.
Lets dive into the setting because it is one of my favourites of all
Kidlitter
A DRC was provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is the sequel I didn't know I needed, as Killeen did such a great and grimy job with Sarah Goldstein's WWII adventures in his first novel, Orphan Monster Spy. But you can't keep a good spy away from fighting the Nazis when it's only 1940 and Sarah is still stuck posing as Ursula Haller, German film star and Lolitaesque society minx. Sarah, Jewish, damaged and a genius, is also angry, ready for adventure and all too
Kaitlin
After reading and loving Orphan Monster Spy, I anxiously awaited the sequel.

This was a tough read for me. I appreciate that the author likes to base the plotlines on true events ("Lies will tie you up"), but this one felt muddled.

Sarah loses herself for most of this novel, and with it my attention was lost as well. She isn't smart, capable, or really remotely interesting for the majority of the book.

In the last few chapters the book (and Sarah) regain a sense of purpose and direction. After
Rachel
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall Review:
Devil Darling Spy is an intense tale of espionage, death, and destruction. Set in Central Africa during World War II, the novel follows Sarah, a troubled young woman with a mission to stop the Nazis. It is highly recommended to read the series' first novel -- Orphan Monster Spy -- before starting this one. A good portion of the characters from the first story are referenced in this second book. Author Matt Killeen explores heavy themes of racism, colonialism, and good vs. evil
Rutuja Ramteke
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
🍭Devil Darling Spy🍭
The deadliest weapon is a girl with nothing to lose...

Sarah is used to spying in the champagne-fuelled parties of Nazi Berlin. But her new mission is infinitely more deadly tracking a lethal disease across bullet-torn Africa, to uncover the monster who would use it to create fifty million corpses. Her enemies think she is a terrified little girl. But she is a warrior set to burn them all.
🍭I loved Sarah, so naiive she is. The book was full of ups and downs. Well, basically
Mary Varney
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I needed to Re-read the end of ORPHAN MONSTER SPY in order to pick up Sarahs story where the book begins. Theres a lot going on in the story: exploration of racism, conversations with an absent character, drug addiction, colonialism, trauma. Sometimes it felt like there was too much going on and each issue was diluted somewhat by the inclusion of all the others. But Killeen knows how to write action and the end of the book made up for the disjointed start. The end makes me think a 3rd book is ...more
hazel
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequels, read-in-2020
i think this book gave me whiplash but not necessarily in a bad way.

sometimes it was difficult to keep up with but i think that the pace kept it exciting and new. i really appreciated the commentary on colonialism that was explored in a way that isnt seen very often and touched on issues that not many people are aware of. overall, a pretty damn good and action-packed sequel i have to say.

-> 3.5 stars
Lauren Nicole
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Please tell me this is going to be a trilogy! The beginning of the book was definitely a little droning and slow, but once it picked up, I blinked and it was over.
This is a great read, jam packed with horrible truths, exciting excursions, and one very determined little monster. Fingers crossed for a third book!
Paula Hess
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA hard packed suspense read. You really should read the 1st in the series, Orphan Monster Spy before tackling Devil Darling Spy. This is a gritty telling of a young jewish girl who gives her all to try and help the resistance against Hitler. This time she is hunting a rogue German doctor in Africa who just may be a serial killer and who has created a weapon of germ warfare and must be stopped.
Andrew
Mar 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 25%.....Not much to say A lot of what I liked about the first book made the second seem to corny and unrealistic, which was fine at first but then nothing new really came across in this installment of the series.
Sifa Poulton
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really hard hitting book, focusing on the atrocities committed by all sides in Africa (focusing on the Congo Basin, but looking across the continent too) both during the Second World War and earlier.

The book also asks the question what does it take to stop a monster?
A C
Gorgeous. Action packed, never let up on the tension until the very, very end
Just couldn't get into it so finally gave up.
Bookworm
I LOVED this!!! Book three can't come fast enough.
kim baccellia
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, engaging espionage novel where a young spy finds herself fighting against time to stop a scientist from unleashing a horrific germ warfare against enemies of the Nazi regime.
Beth Knight
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fabulously tense, twisting, thought provoking and timely. MORE PLEASE MATT.
Rachael  Telford
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 lived up to the first book.
Guiana
Jan 27, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
and I didnt find out about this sequel sooner why???? ...more
Kenzie Erickson
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yeah just as deliciously wicked as the first time. Sarah Goldstein is wicked. I love her.
Rosan
I cant wait to read this book. ...more
Maria
Kristen McDermott
My review of this book will appear in Historical Novels Review issue 92 (May 2020)
Natasha
Feb 26, 2020
Esmee
Mar 28, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • The Water Dancer
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Blossom and the Firefly
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • The Pieces of Ourselves
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Look Both Ways: A Tale Told in Ten Blocks
  • And The Stars Were Burning Brightly (And The Stars Were Burning Brightly, #1)
  • I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter
  • Who Put This Song On?
  • The Last Last-Day-of-Summer
  • Random Acts of Kittens
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Call It What You Want
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
MATT KILLEEN was born in Birmingham, in the UK, back when trousers were wide and everything was brown. Early instruction in his craft included being told that a drawing of a Cylon exploding isn't writing and copying out your mother's payslip isn't an essay "about my family". Several alternative careers beckoned, some involving laser guns and guitars, before he finally returned to words and ...more

Orphan Monster Spy (2 books)
  • Orphan Monster Spy (Orphan Monster Spy, #1)