Start by marking “Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology” as Want to Read:
Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology

Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology

(Josef Slonský Investigations #3.5)

Deck the halls with tales of murder!

To get you in the mood for Christmas, Sapere Books has brought eleven of their authors together in this thrilling, festive short story anthology.

From dead bodies in Victorian London, to fraudulent
Published October 30th 2019 by Sapere Books

To ask other readers questions about Midwinter Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwinter Mysteries

Start your review of Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Galway, Ireland, 2019

It could be said that everything that happens is good news for somebody. How driving along a motorway, at two o'clock in the morning shortly before Christmas, with a dead Santa Claus in the back of his cab could ever be good news for Ben Miller was anybody's guess. (The Stolen Santa Sack by Sean Gibbons)

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Eleven authors. Eleven stories. One festive collection! Perfect for fans of crime fiction, short stories, thrillers — and Christmas!

Deck the halls
Paromjit
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sapere Books provide a festive crime and mystery short story collection from authors they publish or will publish soon. What it serves as so effectively is an opportunity to experience authors you may never have come across before and find that their writing and storytelling appeals so much that their full length novels beckon, I certainly found this to be the case. This is perfect reading fare for this time of the year in the run up to Christmas, with a wide range of stories set in the present ...more
Matt
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Matt by: Sapere Books
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, the writers in this collection, and Sapere Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

With the holiday season just around the corner, I was happy to receive this collection of mysteries. Filled with short stories by a number of authors—most of whom I have never read—this was sure to be a wonderful early gift that any lover of mysteries could enjoy. I’ll jot down a brief summary
Marianne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology presents eleven short stories from Sapere Books authors, with Christmas Themes. For writers more accustomed to longer form, a short story can be a challenge, but most of these authors manage it very well.

Away in a Manger by Graham Brack: it’s Christmas Eve and Lieutenant Josef Slonský’s plan to take his junior colleagues out for a drink is somewhat thwarted when Captain Lukas sends them out on patrol, but what better way to blend in than with a
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
There is a lot on offer here with this anthology. The selection of stories are from a broad range of authors and this should appeal to those who enjoy reading mysteries and crime stories. Add in the fact that these are all set at Christmas-time, and you have a Yule-tide treat!

There are couple of authors that I have already discovered and this is what made this collection so appealing. Whilst I only rated this an average of three stars, I think it is because I find it tricky to engage with short
Linda Strong
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of 11 stories, written by 11 authors, all dealing with crime on or around Christmas. They are all short stories, all enjoyable with great characters.

From dead bodies in Victorian London, to fraudulent identities in modern-day Cheltenham and a dead Santa in Galway, each story in this collection follows a mystery in the lead-up to Christmas.

I enjoyed them all, so it's really difficult to pick a favorite or two. It's like asking which of your children is your favorite. Truly
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘One more night, sir,’ Navrátil said.
‘Is your life expectancy that short? It’s all those cinnamon cookies you’ve been eating.’
‘One more night until Christmas,’ Navrátil explained.
‘Ten out of ten for observation. Unfortunately, peace on earth and goodwill to all men is not the motto of the Prague criminal community, …’ (‘Away in a Manger’ by Graham Brack)

Eleven delightful short stories, crime short stories with a Christmas theme. I have favourites (of course I do), I can’t go past ‘Away in a
Christine
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Midwinter Mysteries" includes eleven short stories all with a Christmas theme. Some are set in the past and some in the present, but all are entertaining in their own way. When you have such a varied collection of stories like this, there will always be some you like more than others. I was already familiar with most of the authors who contributed to the collection from their full-length novels, but there were a few authors who were new to me. Collections like this are perfect for discovering ...more
Susan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Eleven stories with a connection to the Christmas period, set in the modern day back to the time of the Stuarts. Offering a vast range of time and characters in which to find some delightful well-written stories. They also introduce you to characters set in series from this publisher.
I really enjoyed all the stories, only one failed to totally engage me.
Received an ARC from the publisher.
Sally906
As with all collections of short stories, some you love and others not so much. These 11 stories were all linked by the season of Christmas, some had Christmas in the background, others were influenced by Christmas. I confess to not having heard of many of the authors, but this was a good way to sample their work - a few Authors have been added to my follow up list.

My favourite story was Secret Santa by Kim Fleet: A PI is recovering from an illness and feeling quite flat. A note pushed under
Mike
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining collection of stories, each with a seasonal connection. It looks like the publishers have asked each of their featured authors to write a short story featuring their series characters.

The stories cover a wide range of historical periods and, if you find that you want to read more from a particular author, each story ends with a link to the series.

My favourites were Footprints in the Snow by J C Briggs (a Dickens of a Christmas tale) and a couple of season-of-goodwill heartwarmers
Jane Willis
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit I hesitated about whether to read this book as I’m not a fan of short stories in general. However for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it and am very glad I decided to go ahead with it. The book is a collection of eleven short stories by popular crime writers, all set around Christmas time in carious periods from the 17th century to the present day.

One of the reasons I often find short stories unsatisfactory is that they often seem incomplete, lacking the plot detail and back
Ruth Matheson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the 17th century through to the 21st, this anthology has a good mix of Christmas short stories to suit everyone, including a YA one. Having read most of the authors before, I found it a good introduction to those whom I haven't read as yet. The stories are also from all around Europe and capture what the season is all about. No real favourites however I did enjoy the last one most of all.

Thanks to Sapere Books for the ARC to review.
Annarella
I liked most of the authors featured in this short story collection and was more than happy to read this book.
The story are set at Christmas time and, even if I'm not a big fan of short stories, they were entertaining and made you crave for more.
A good read, recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Jae
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very well-chosen collection of short stories set in winter and the holiday season. Perfect for this time of year.
Alex  Jones
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Sapere books for my review copy of the midwinter mysteries,

A short story collection of crime tales and capers introducing new authors and characters, all set in the winter time and with Xmas twists,

With stories set from Victorian times to the present, there is a crime short here any crime fan to enjoy, for me in particular the stories by Graham Brack, Sean Gibbons with his dead Santa in a taxi was my favourites and Gaynor Torrance.

A great mix of stories from authors I’ve never read but
Ann-Marie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well put together collection of stories, covering a range of time periods and authors/characters. All are set in winter and have Christmas as a theme, there’s plenty of humour, tugs on the heartstrings and (spoiler alert) happy endings. I’ve read full length novels featuring some of the characters so it was good to revisit these as well as discover new authors and characters to look out for in the future. All in all a very entertaining read.

Thanks to Sapere Books for a review
Bob Hurley
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this collection of short stories. I had read books by two of the authors and knew some of the characters in their short stories. Great however to get an insight into authors I have not read, always think short stories “wet your appetite” and drive you to look for other novels by the authors. Sapere Books have once again done a great job of giving the reader a taste of some of their Crime writing author’s.
Leyla Johnson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An anthology of short stories with a midwinter theme written in a modern style, which I usually steer clear of. This one had very well written stories, not all that I would put into the old fashion category of mysteries. But nevertheless, they held my interest and I found them rather good even though the ending od each story left me hanging which seems the way with many modern writings.
Annette
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
An interesting collection of short stories. I was expecting a bit more Christmasy stories. I enjoyed some of the stories more than others. It’s a great way to read some new authors too.
Danielle P
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Set between 1850 and 2019 in locales ranging from Prague to Galway, London and other points on the UK map, these short stories feature a variety of mysterious goings-on. Whether you prefer straight-up crimes or strange ghostly manifestations, you'll find something in this collection to keep you entertained. The standouts for me were J.C Briggs, Linda Stratmann and Marilyn Todd. Although some of these stories are truly excellent, a few are definitely weaker, which explains my overall rating.

I
Vanessa Wild
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
An engaging collection of short mystery stories with a festive theme, eleven in total. I have read some of the authors but not others. It’s a good insight into the writers’ work if you are wishing to sample their books. I think my favourite is actually the last one, The Christmas Ghost by Linda Stratman, a tale about forgiveness - perhaps we could all take a leaf out of this little mystery!

Entertaining and intriguing, the stories are all well written. If you like snuggling up to the fire on a
Debbie
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book that was recommended to me, there are many authors in it that I have read before and I loved the short stories that are written based on many of the characters I like. There are also authors in the book that I have not read before so, I really enjoyed getting to know the characters within the stories and so much so that I intend to read the full length books by the authors within.

I also like the fact that you can pick up the book and read individual stories and
Jim Ritchie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to be supplied with a review copy of the book by the publisher. It contains a number of short stories based on established characters with a shared theme of Christmas. It’s an enjoyable read, in my opinion, and nice since the season is fast approaching. I won’t say which were my favourite stories as this might sway your judgement should you choose to read it, but I intend to read more by some of the authors. Enjoy!
Lorenzo  Nicodemo
Lils
Nov 17, 2019
Nadine Huard
Nov 02, 2019

• A Pretty Folly: A traditional British murder mystery (Inspector James Given Investigations Book 2)
  • Snatched
  • Expiry Date: a gripping crime thriller (DI Alec McKay Book 4)
  • Revenge
  • Laid In Earth (Josef Slonský Investigations #6)
  • A Shadowed Livery (Inspector James Given Investigations #1)
  • A Deceitful Subtlety
  • THE AUCTION MURDERS an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 5)
  • BACK TO LIFE: A Scottish Crime Thriller (A DCI Harry McNeil Crime Thriller Book 2)
  • Kit's Hill (The Howarth Saga, #1)
  • The Hardie Inheritance
  • Wolf of Wessex
  • Snap Shot: An atmospheric historical thriller (Julia McAllister Victorian Mysteries Book 1)
  • Where the Light Enters
  • Betrayed
  • BLOOD ON THE COWLEY ROAD a gripping mystery full of twists (Detective Susan Holden Book 1)
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • Silent Crimes
Pen name of Keith Moray Souter, also writes as Keith Souter and Clay More.

Josef Slonský Investigations (6 books)
  • Lying and Dying (Josef Slonský Investigations #1)
  • Slaughter and Forgetting (Josef Slonský Investigations #2)
  • Death On Duty (Josef Slonský Investigations #3)
  • Field of Death (Josef Slonský Investigations Book 4)
  • A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5)
  • Laid In Earth (Josef Slonský Investigations #6)