Start by marking “Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology” as Want to Read:
Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology

Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology

(Josef Slonský Investigations #3.5)

Deck the halls with tales of murder!

To get you in the mood for Christmas, Sapere Books has brought eleven of their authors together in this thrilling, festive short story anthology.

From dead bodies in Victorian London, to fraudulent iden
Published October 30th 2019 by Sapere Books

To ask other readers questions about Midwinter Mysteries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midwinter Mysteries

Start your review of Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology
Amalia Gkavea
''I think you can let the baby Jesus go'', Slonsky said. ''He's innocent, just like the real one.''

Behind the shiny ornaments, the bright lights, the laughter, the flowing wine, and the presents, dark intentions may find a fertile ground to flourish. Winter is a time for being cautious, Christmas is a time for gatherings. And gatherings sometimes bring disputes. And who knows where disputes might lead...Small wonder that a plethora of mysteries takes place during the holidays.

This collectio
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Galway, Ireland, 2019

It could be said that everything that happens is good news for somebody. How driving along a motorway, at two o'clock in the morning shortly before Christmas, with a dead Santa Claus in the back of his cab could ever be good news for Ben Miller was anybody's guess. (The Stolen Santa Sack by Sean Gibbons)

ABOUT THIS BOOK: Eleven authors. Eleven stories. One festive collection! Perfect for fans of crime fiction, short stories, thrillers — and Christmas!

Deck the halls w
Paromjit
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sapere Books provide a festive crime and mystery short story collection from authors they publish or will publish soon. What it serves as so effectively is an opportunity to experience authors you may never have come across before and find that their writing and storytelling appeals so much that their full length novels beckon, I certainly found this to be the case. This is perfect reading fare for this time of the year in the run up to Christmas, with a wide range of stories set in the present ...more
PattyMacDotComma
‘One more night, sir,’ Navrátil said.

‘Is your life expectancy that short? It’s all those cinnamon cookies you’ve been eating.’

‘One more night until Christmas,’
Navrátil explained.

‘Ten out of ten for observation. Unfortunately, peace on earth and goodwill to all men is not the motto of the Prague criminal community, so we can’t relax our vigilance just because two thousand years ago an unmarried mother popped her baby in a shed in the Middle East.’

‘Stable, sir.’

‘I’m glad you are, lad, but t
Matt
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Matt by: Sapere Books
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, the writers in this collection, and Sapere Books for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

With the holiday season just around the corner, I was happy to receive this collection of mysteries. Filled with short stories by a number of authors—most of whom I have never read—this was sure to be a wonderful early gift that any lover of mysteries could enjoy. I’ll jot down a brief summary
Sandy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it

I love anthologies. It’s a great way to try on new authors before coughing up the big bucks for their full length novel on spec. It’s also nice to have something you can dip into when you’ve got a few spare minutes to read a short story.

This is a collection from Sapere featuring 11 authors giving their takes on mysteries set around Christmas. Some are period pieces, some are set in present day. There’s a real mix here & as with all anthologies every reader will have their personal favou
Marianne
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Midwinter Mysteries: A Christmas Crime Anthology presents eleven short stories from Sapere Books authors, with Christmas Themes. For writers more accustomed to longer form, a short story can be a challenge, but most of these authors manage it very well.

Away in a Manger by Graham Brack: it’s Christmas Eve and Lieutenant Josef Slonský’s plan to take his junior colleagues out for a drink is somewhat thwarted when Captain Lukas sends them out on patrol, but what better way to blend in than with a ho
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
There is a lot on offer here with this anthology. The selection of stories are from a broad range of authors and this should appeal to those who enjoy reading mysteries and crime stories. Add in the fact that these are all set at Christmas-time, and you have a Yule-tide treat!

There are couple of authors that I have already discovered and this is what made this collection so appealing. Whilst I only rated this an average of three stars, I think it is because I find it tricky to engage with short
Linda Strong
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of 11 stories, written by 11 authors, all dealing with crime on or around Christmas. They are all short stories, all enjoyable with great characters.

From dead bodies in Victorian London, to fraudulent identities in modern-day Cheltenham and a dead Santa in Galway, each story in this collection follows a mystery in the lead-up to Christmas.

I enjoyed them all, so it's really difficult to pick a favorite or two. It's like asking which of your children is your favorite. Truly so
Kathy
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good assortment of authors/stories I enjoyed individually over time - a good chance to try out authors I was not familiar with.
Also good price for the kindle format!
Andrea
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice little Christmas sampler from Sapere Books, showcasing 11 of their crime/mystery authors. I bought it for the story by Graham Brack (Lt Josef Slonsky #3.5), but discovered a few new authors to try as well. Whether it's the late 19th century, 1700s, or contemporary, most of the tales take place in the lead-up to Christmas, with one exception by Kim Fleet which is set in that dead period between Boxing Day and New Year. I enjoyed all the stories to a greater or lesser degree, but for one th ...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘One more night, sir,’ Navrátil said.
‘One more night until Christmas,’ Navrátil explained.
‘Ten out of ten for observation. Unfortunately, peace on earth and goodwill to all men is not the motto of the Prague criminal community, …’ (‘Away in a Manger’ by Graham Brack)

Eleven delightful short stories, crime short stories with a Christmas theme. I have favourites (of course I do), I can’t go past ‘Away in a Mang
Kat Dietrich

Midwinter Mysteries is an anthology of short crime fiction stories by various authors.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Sapere Books, and of course the authors, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:   (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

A brief description of each short story, and my thoughts.

Away in a Manger by Graham Brack - Prague, 2006. An outdoor market hosts a Nativity Play, and is
Bandit
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was meant to help get into the Christmas spirit, but left a lot to be desired. Sure, the constant downpour outside didn’t improve the matters much, but even in a lovely snowstorm, this still would have been a lackluster read. Essentially this anthology is a promo, a chance for the authors at Sapere Press to pimp out their series via a Christmas theme short story featuring their characters. But be it historical or present day mysteries, quirky detectives or professional police procedurals, t ...more
Christine
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Midwinter Mysteries" includes eleven short stories all with a Christmas theme. Some are set in the past and some in the present, but all are entertaining in their own way. When you have such a varied collection of stories like this, there will always be some you like more than others. I was already familiar with most of the authors who contributed to the collection from their full-length novels, but there were a few authors who were new to me. Collections like this are perfect for discovering n ...more
Susan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
Eleven stories with a connection to the Christmas period, set in the modern day back to the time of the Stuarts. Offering a vast range of time and characters in which to find some delightful well-written stories. They also introduce you to characters set in series from this publisher.
I really enjoyed all the stories, only one failed to totally engage me.
Received an ARC from the publisher.
Sally906
As with all collections of short stories, some you love and others not so much. These 11 stories were all linked by the season of Christmas, some had Christmas in the background, others were influenced by Christmas. I confess to not having heard of many of the authors, but this was a good way to sample their work - a few Authors have been added to my follow up list.

My favourite story was Secret Santa by Kim Fleet: A PI is recovering from an illness and feeling quite flat. A note pushed under he
Mike
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An entertaining collection of stories, each with a seasonal connection. It looks like the publishers have asked each of their featured authors to write a short story featuring their series characters.

The stories cover a wide range of historical periods and, if you find that you want to read more from a particular author, each story ends with a link to the series.

My favourites were Footprints in the Snow by J C Briggs (a Dickens of a Christmas tale) and a couple of season-of-goodwill heartwarmers
Jane Willis
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit I hesitated about whether to read this book as I’m not a fan of short stories in general. However for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed it and am very glad I decided to go ahead with it. The book is a collection of eleven short stories by popular crime writers, all set around Christmas time in carious periods from the 17th century to the present day.

One of the reasons I often find short stories unsatisfactory is that they often seem incomplete, lacking the plot detail and back sto
Ruth Matheson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the 17th century through to the 21st, this anthology has a good mix of Christmas short stories to suit everyone, including a YA one. Having read most of the authors before, I found it a good introduction to those whom I haven't read as yet. The stories are also from all around Europe and capture what the season is all about. No real favourites however I did enjoy the last one most of all.

Thanks to Sapere Books for the ARC to review.
Annarella
I liked most of the authors featured in this short story collection and was more than happy to read this book.
The story are set at Christmas time and, even if I'm not a big fan of short stories, they were entertaining and made you crave for more.
A good read, recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Jae
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, xmas
Very well-chosen collection of short stories set in winter and the holiday season. Perfect for this time of year.
Abibliofob
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I bought this christmas story book only because of Graham Bracks Josef Slonský mystery. Sadly I did not like the other entries, but that could be my taste. Sadly the books about my favorite Prague policeman is over I have only 2 more books to read...
Alex Jones
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Sapere books for my review copy of the midwinter mysteries,

A short story collection of crime tales and capers introducing new authors and characters, all set in the winter time and with Xmas twists,

With stories set from Victorian times to the present, there is a crime short here any crime fan to enjoy, for me in particular the stories by Graham Brack, Sean Gibbons with his dead Santa in a taxi was my favourites and Gaynor Torrance.

A great mix of stories from authors I’ve never read but
Ann-Marie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well put together collection of stories, covering a range of time periods and authors/characters. All are set in winter and have Christmas as a theme, there’s plenty of humour, tugs on the heartstrings and (spoiler alert) happy endings. I’ve read full length novels featuring some of the characters so it was good to revisit these as well as discover new authors and characters to look out for in the future. All in all a very entertaining read.

Thanks to Sapere Books for a review co
Bob Hurley
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this collection of short stories. I had read books by two of the authors and knew some of the characters in their short stories. Great however to get an insight into authors I have not read, always think short stories “wet your appetite” and drive you to look for other novels by the authors. Sapere Books have once again done a great job of giving the reader a taste of some of their Crime writing author’s.
Leyla Johnson
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An anthology of short stories with a midwinter theme written in a modern style, which I usually steer clear of. This one had very well written stories, not all that I would put into the old fashion category of mysteries. But nevertheless, they held my interest and I found them rather good even though the ending od each story left me hanging which seems the way with many modern writings.
Annette
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2019
An interesting collection of short stories. I was expecting a bit more Christmasy stories. I enjoyed some of the stories more than others. It’s a great way to read some new authors too.
I received an ARC of this book thanks to Net Galley and publisher Sapere Books in exchange for an honest review.

I really really love the idea behind this anthology. As far as I can tell, the publishing house behind this book has gotten a bunch of mystery/crime authors to write some short stories showcasing their characters in order to promote the series they write. This is a very cool idea and I think it's a great way to potentially find a new series you might really enjoy. Sadly most of these s
Mr Robin Smith
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a collection of 11 short stories, from 11 different authors, all set around Christmas, dating from 17th century London, though Victorian times, still set in England, to the present day both in Prague and the UK. These stories were all of the mystery/crime variety and, in the case of those authors where I was familiar with their characters from their full-length books, I really enjoyed their short stories. Although, of course, the great advantage of the short story is that you can usually ...more

• The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries
  • Campion at Christmas: 4 Holiday Stories
  • Paternoster (Eden Grey Mysteries Book 1)
  • The Allingham Minibus
  • The Waxwork Corpse (Charles Holborne #5)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • Afraid of the Christmas Lights: An Anthology of Crime Stories
  • Murder in Midwinter: Ten Classic Crime Stories for Christmas
  • Christmas is Murder: A Chilling Short Story Collection
  • Christmas on the Home Front (Land Girls #3)
  • The Secrets We Bury (The Undertaker's Daughter #1)
  • Home Truths
  • 17 Church Row
  • Secret Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #3)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Eisenmenger-Flemming Forensic Omnibus
  • Second Chance (Bram Carver #1)
  • Murder on the West Coast (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #3)
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
Pen name of Keith Moray Souter, also writes as Keith Souter and Clay More. ...more

Josef Slonský Investigations (6 books)
  • Lying and Dying (Josef Slonský Investigations #1)
  • Slaughter and Forgetting (Josef Slonský Investigations #2)
  • Death On Duty (Josef Slonský Investigations #3)
  • Field of Death (Josef Slonský Investigations # 4)
  • A Second Death (Josef Slonský Investigations #5)
  • Laid In Earth (Josef Slonský Investigations #6)