Start by marking “King of Shadows (King of Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
King of Shadows (King of Shadows, #1)

King of Shadows

(King of Shadows #1)

Luther Hades has always been my family’s sworn enemy. He’s the opposite of everything we stand for—ruthless to the core.

I want my freedom, but Hades wants me. And I’ve walked straight into his trap.

There has to be a way out of his fortress of a mansion. I’ll get away—I have to. Even if it costs me everything.

And it will cost me everything: my body, my soul...and my h
Published January 27th 2020

Start your review of King of Shadows (King of Shadows, #1)
ReadingInPyjamas
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love myth retellings and Hades and Persephone's story is one of my favorites so when I saw Amelia Wilde's book I knew I had to read it and I am so happy I did because it was exquisite. I am familiar with her writing style and yet again she delivered a beautiful and captivating story.

All her life Persephone was sheltered from the world. Her mother's only desire is to protect her from the evil lurking outside the walls of their estate, but in doing so she only fuels Persephone's curiosity about
Jess
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lately I've been in a bit of a book funk and nothing was grabbing my attention. That was until I started reading this. I thought I would read just a few pages to get a feel of the story. Before I realised it, I was already half way through the book in the blink of an eye! There was something captivating in the way the story pulled me in and wrapped itself around me. This is the third retelling of ancient myths I've read but I think is the possibly the best one I've read so far. One of the others ...more
Amanda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Now I've read this twice... that's right, TWICE! I couldn't get enough of him in the first round, that I had to go back to the beginning and read it ALL OVER AGAIN! That is how much this story drew me in and wouldn't let me go. How do you turn away from Luther Hades?! When you figure out how, let me know, cause I need my brain and soul back.

Let's start with the king himself... Luther Hades. King of the Underworld. Prince of Darkness. The Devil himself. This man... no, this GOD is everything I w
Joyffree
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-tbr
Noooo you so can not leave me hanging like this 😯

Definitely would not call this a romance -
a 'lustmance' though -
absofrickinloutely!

This is an insta- capitulation story - normally that doesn't work for me - But with Persephone and Luther, it felt natural.
As the story progressed I found myself curious more involved
it was the little things -
Random thoughts
Simple acts
That drew me in had me wanting to peek ahead just to reassure myself - I didn't though but it was tempting

I'm still trying to figure
TheSassyNerdBlog
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been sitting here for a few days now trying to review this book and actually do it justice. My mind is blown. I have been speechless.

Amelia Wilde is still a fairly new author to me. I recently read a collaboration she did with Skye Warren and it's got me intrigued to read her solo work and I was not disappointed.

King of Shadows was phenomenal in sense of the word. Honestly, though, I wouldn't call this a romance. It had elements of a romance story, like lust and desire but there was so
Heidi
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMGosh!! This was such a great read. I love when Amelia writes dark romance. This is a retelling and updated version of Persephone and Hades. I was hooked into this story once I started and couldn’t put it down until I was finished. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. Persephone has only known what her mother, Demeter tells her. She has been so sheltered and has been told to never trust Hades, and if she sees him, to run. Hades lives in his mansion that is built o ...more
Jennifer Pierson
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OH MY HELL! King of Shadows was absolutely EPIC, and anyone waiting to read it, needs to reevaluate because it's too great to miss out on! Hades & Persephone's story has always intrigued me, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I can honestly say it was better than any expectation I may have had! Persephone has been sheltered from real life, as her mother was over the top when trying to protect her daughter from any and/or ALL evil outside their estate. Of course, it didn't have the effect she w ...more
Kat
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"He’s not the sun, and he’s not the moon. He is total darkness, a place no light can touch. "

This book. Wow, this book. This is something a bit different from this author, but it is so, so good. Luthor Hades is a loner of sorts. He's tough, brusque, and all man. He likes things his way and doesn't take no for an answer when He wants something.

"He tastes like snow and fire and the burn of some searing alcohol I can’t begin to name. "

Persephone is used to one way of life with her mother. All she w
♂️Must Have Book Boyfriends ♂️
HOLY FUCKING HELL. THERE'S ASSHOLES, then there's this motherfucker. Hades.

I. DIED.
AND...
I. LOVE. HIM.

The sexual tension between Persephone and Hades had me jizzing. Multiple times. The teasing. I almost cried with want. But when he FINALLY gave her his big dick, it was so worth the wait. Yum and hallefuckinglujah. I was sore just from reading it. And I'm no virgin like poor, sweet P. Nah, she ain't poor. She's one lucky young woman.

BANG. There went my loins.

LAWD. If you're listening, I need
Tanya Rae ~ TaSTy WordGasms
King of Shadows is the first book that I have read by this author and is the first book in this series. Because at the end of this book is a huge cliffie! The kind that says OH NO, WHAT the you know what!

This story is a bit dark for those that don’t like that kind of book.

This is the modern day myth re-telling of Persephone and Hades.

King of Shadows is Luther Hades and Persephone’s story. Persephone has been very sheltered and kept hidden away by her mother Demeter except for a short time at a
Madeleine
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have no words. This book was phenomenal! Absolutely phenomenal!! I love ruthless, heartless, sexy, alpha male Hades. So much drama, action, intense, raw, hot, your-eyes-will-be-glued-to-this-book goodness. Loved it. There is a cliffhanger. Need book #2 now.
Athena D.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4 STARS

This was an amazing rendition of Hades and Persephone's story. If you enjoy intense alpha romances and the Greek mythology references thrown in, you'll definitely want to read this book! It was filled with suspense and overall captivated me from the get-go!

Amelia Wilde is a new-to-me author and I can't wait to read more from her. King of Shadow by Amelia Wilde is a MUST read and will join the ranks of the BIBLIO-ELITE!!!
Sophie
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! YOU SIMPLY MUST READ THIS BOOK!!
I am HOOKED! SHOOK! Seriously OBSESSED! This story has me GRIPPED! Hades is EVERYTHING! Even when I hate him (and WOAH MAMA.. I hated him), I loved him!

If you like alpha anti-heroes. Men that push your boundaries. Men that make you HATE them while you climb up them to kiss them. Men that are sooooo wrong but SO, SO RIGHT! Then you MUST READ this book!

It's HOT and twisty and suspenseful and addictive. I can't even begin to tell you. It's LIVE NOW on all pla
V.
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
** ARC received in exchange for an honest review **

I love Greek mythology. The myth of Hades and Persephone? Favorite story of all time. I’ve pretty much read every book about these two. So, when I saw the sign up for ARCs for King of Shadows and read that it’s a retelling of said myth? I had to have it and read it. I was so happy when I got the Kindle notification about it.

Quick summary of this myth, if you don’t know about it:

Zeus (king of gods and god of lightning) and Demeter (goddess of agr
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕

20200203_215448.png

King Of Shadows is the re telling of a famous Greek mythology about Persephone and Hades. It was dark at times, troubling, and the story itself held on to a modern feel while still keeping the classic mythology.

When I first read the blurb for this book, I instantly fell in love and knew that I had to read it without ever having read Hades and Persephone story before. Now that I’ve finished this story, I can honestly say that was a big mistake. I did not appreciate this story as much as I would
thehotmesslibrary
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
King of Shadows by Amelia Wilde is the sexy, twenty-first century retelling of the story of Persephone and Hades. Persephone is hidden away by her mother, almost to the point of smothering her, she isn’t allowed to experience the outside world for fear of men trying to kidnap and hurt her. One night, she has arranged to escape with her friend (maybe more) Dereck but is caught by Luther Hades and told to choose, her life for her lovers. Herein lies the story of how Hades captured Persephone and t ...more
Ga Books LoverX
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Warning- CLIFFHANGER- and it is absolutely devastating, but that just means that the first book was amazing and the second one is highly anticipated!

This book was absolutely sinful! I loved to play on mythology with the story and plot, Hades being the "King of Shadows" and Persephone the naive and innocent daughter of Demeter. When these two meet fate happens and Persephone finds herself in his possession, but the question is if she will survive and/or if she will like his carnal ways.

Hot, hot,
Snow
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
I have to be honest, I didn't much appreciate this story...

Knowing the actual mythology of Hades and Persephone, doesn't really hold the fort of credibility here, even if it was taken just as a sample or inspiration, which definitely is not applied in here.
So the actual names are obviously here, and the actual mythology plot is applied here as well, so I'm just wondering what's the point setting it in this century at all, when the dialogues don't work, they are awkward and sometimes even sensele
Beyond The Covers Blog
Shelves: holly
King of Shadows is a modern take on the story of Hades and Persephone. Persephone has grown up in almost complete seclusion on her mother’s flower farm. She and her would be boyfriend, Decker, make a plan to escape to the city. On the night they decide to flee, Decker makes the mistake of trying to use a train car belonging to Luther Hades.  Hades catches and tries to kill Decker but Persephone interferes and bargains with Hades to let Decker live. A deal struck, Persephone goes with Hades to hi ...more
Somia
Jul 04, 2020 added it
I don't know how I feel about this one, hence the lack of rating. I read it, and remember the plot - it just didn't work for me. ...more
Darkreads
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Wilde is a new to me author, but I've been on a Hades and Persephone kick lately so I decided to give this book a try. I was definitely not disappointed! This is one the best Hades and Persephone retellings I've read so far. Ms. Wilde put an interesting twist on this well known and myth. Hades is so deliciously alpha and quite the dirty talker. Is he the villain in this story? It's unclear. But he rules his "underworld" with the iron fist. Persephone's character is a lot more straightforw ...more
Coco.V
May 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (5/16/2020)! 🎁
HANNAH (Books, Films, and Tea)
King of Shadows by Amelia Wilde had me hooked from the first chapter! Persephone lives with her paranoid mother Demeter, trapped in her home and unable to escape to the outside world. She meets a worker, Decker, and they plan to escape and go to the New York Public Library (her dream). The night of their escape, when she arrives at the train that is supposed to take them away, Luther Hades is there and catches them. He begins to kill Decker, and Persephone saves his life by trading hers. She is ...more
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
Persephone has lived a sheltered life with her mom with very little access to the outside world. Her mom has always told her if Luther Hades finds her then he will kill her, and she had to stay safe. At 20 years old, Persephone doesn’t feel like she can live under this shelter anymore. She walks right in to Luther Hades trap and what she finds is equal parts terrifying and attractive. Hades is vindictive, ruthless, and cold, but he finds a weakness in Persephone that he never anticipates.

This bo
TheBibliotheque ♡
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Not really my cuppa.

I'll be completely honest, I sort of expected something else. I'm pretty sure this was a "it's me, not you" situation, so I'm not going to get into much detail. Let's just say that the arc of the relationship left me rather indifferent.

*eArc kindly provided by author. Opinions are my own.
Heather Navarre
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure I would like this book when I started.

However, very quickly I realized I was wrong!

I couldn’t read it fast enough. I fell in love with both our main characters. Hades in all his nasty glory and Persephone who realized quickly she couldn’t stop the inevitable.

I highly suggest reading this book though if you are not one for cliffhangers I suggest waiting until part two come out this summer.

I have not read much by Amelia Wilde and that is a mistake-I will be reading more soon.

Amelia Wilde
Jan 28, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
★★★ KING OF SHADOWS is live! ★★★

"Breathtaking, intense, and scorching hot, KING OF SHADOWS is the modern myth I've been waiting for."
–New York Times bestselling author Skye Warren

Amazon: https://amzn.to/39Dto8h
Apple Books: http://apple.co/2QnyspC
Nook: bit.ly/2twVLUY
Kobo: readerlinks.com/l/812335
Google Play: readerlinks.com/l/812336
Karen
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A modern retelling of Hades and Persephone that is dark, twisted, and left me hanging.

Luther Hades lives in a mansion on the mountain. He is dark, lethal, and powerful. He gets what he wants, and he doesn’t make any excuses for how he lives or what he does. He makes a lot of bargains with people when they find themselves in his path and fear for their lives. He despises he brother Zeus that lives in the city and rules there. There are many rumors about Luther and his mountain mansion.

Persephone
HeatherP
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I just love reading books about Hades and Persephone. For me it is always better when it's done as a dark romance story, not just because that is my favorite, but because I think it represents them more. Amelia handled this story very well, and I look forward to checking out more of her work.

This was a dual POV, which I loved, and it made this story so much more. The mystery, suspense, and emotional aspects really kept me reading it in one sitting. This is a bit inst-love-ish, and I am very voc
Lauren

This bo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Waking Up Married (My Favorite Band #3)
  • K is for... (BDSM Checklist #11)
  • Boss Man Bridegroom (The Bromance Club #3)
  • The Best Man
  • Paine (Rosewood High #2)
  • The Dare
  • Protecting What's Mine
  • Delinquent Demons (Paranormal Prison)
  • Now Or Never (Irresistible, #5)
  • Andorra Sector (X-Clan #1)
  • Arranged (Sinners of Boston, #1)
  • Dying for Rain (The Rain Trilogy, #3)
  • King of Kings
  • Love Bitten (Vampire Blood Royals, #1)
  • Ruthless Love
  • Love Drunk (Love Me Duet #1)
  • Daddy's Lost Love (Montana Daddies #4)
Amelia Wilde is a USA TODAY and Amazon Top 100 bestselling author of steamy contemporary romance and loves it a little too much. She lives in Michigan with her husband and daughters. She spends most of her time typing furiously on an iPad and appreciating the natural splendor of her home state from where she likes it best: inside.

Subscribe to Amelia’s private mailing list for updates, giveaways, a

King of Shadows (3 books)
  • Summer Queen (King of Shadows, #2)
  • Midnight Kingdom (King of Shadows, #3)

News & Interviews

“Persephone has a soul and it's become my mission in life to dirty it up until she can't see any way to live without me.” 0 likes
“I hate him. I need him.” 0 likes