Jump to ratings and reviews

A Woman of Two Minds

Kit Mackenzie, a brilliant young CEO of a Fortune 500 corporation, is on trial for the murder of her mother. Was it self-defense or homicide? After the prosecutor discovers a secret brain operation in her past, he believes Kit has a strong motive for murder. His discovery begins one of the most unusual trials in American history. Media from all over the world descend on the courtroom to cover a story they find too astonishing to believe. Mackenzie must depend on her renowned attorney and the insights of a skilled neuro-scientist in the fight to prove her innocence and gain the acceptance of a man she has always wanted.

300 pages, Paperback

Published November 9, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bourne Morris

4 books22 followers
After Bennington College, I worked at McCall's Magazine and then went to Ogilvy&Mather, New York during the "Mad Men " era. David Ogilvy and his colleagues treated me wonderfully, promoted me several times and then sent me west to become head of their agency in Los Angeles. I managed an agency of 200 great people. I was invited to be on the 1984 Olympic Committee and the boards of a law school and a major charity. I had a terrific and unusually successful time in advertising.

A move to Reno brought me to the attention of the University of Nevada where I was invited to join the faculty as a full professor in Journalism. I taught marketing communications and media ethics until 2009. I learned about campus politics and tensions when I served as Chair of the Faculty Senate. That experience sent me back to my first love: writing fiction. So, after 26 years of college teaching, I retired to write academic mysteries about campus violence.

Published in 2014 by Henery Press, "The Red Queen's Run," is the first in a trilogy. The story opens with the brutal death of the dean of journalism. Dr. Meredith "Red" Solaris is appointed as interim dean and must navigate a vicious faculty quarrel in search of the murderer before she becomes the next target. The second novel in the Red Solaris trilogy is due out December 2015

I share my home in northern Nevada with a kind and generous husband. Between us we have four children, and eight grandchildren.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (11%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews
Profile Image for LORI CASWELL.
2,352 reviews268 followers
November 9, 2019
Dollycas’s Thoughts

This was a powerful read. I am going to try to write this review carefully not to give too much away because to enjoy this story you need to read and discover all the bits and pieces on your own.

Kit Mackenzie was in a dark place, dark enough that she tried to take her own life. She did survive but her life is dramatically changed forever. A change the prosecutor believes led her to kill her mother. Her fate plays out over the pages of this story.

When I accepted this book for review I was not aware of the suicide element to the story, but I became so engrossed in Kit’s story there was no way I was going to put this book down. For this gripping story, I pushed down the uncomfortable moments.

The trial takes place in 2018 but we travel back in time to follow Kit’s journey before she tried to take her life and then through the trial date to get her perspective and the perspective of those around her.

The medical aspect of this story was profound and very interesting. New medical discoveries are made every day but it takes some true bravery and sacrifice to submit to the operation in this story.

The author set a perfect pace. As it got later into the evening I was saying to myself, just one more chapter and continued to read two or three more and then repeated the process. I finally had to stop because my eyes just wouldn’t stay open. Speaking of eyes, I went to the optometrist the next morning and my Kindle went with me. Even after my eyes were dilated for the exam, I just increased the font size so I could keep reading while my husband had his exam. I quickly finished the book after we got home.

Ms. Morris does keep her readers on their toes too, right up until the very last page . . . what a moment!

Well-written and plotted, this story blew me away. If medical thrillers or bold thought-provoking stories are your thing you will enjoy A Woman of Two Minds. This book has earned a place on my Best Reads of 2019 list!
Profile Image for Kay.
240 reviews
November 18, 2019
Wow!
The premise of this book, a partial brain transplant, is really mind blowing!! The circumstances of the transplant, a brilliant older CEO (Maggie) who was burned over 70% of her body in a horrific car accident, and the attempted suicide of a young socialite (Kit), are the foundation of the book.
The story begins when Kit kills her mother as the mother appears to be trying to kill her. The shooting is originally labeled self-defense, but is upgraded to murder when the illegal brain transplant is revealed.
The book takes us through both the transplant itself and the murder trial, and I found it almost impossible to put the book down.
I don't want to do any spoilers, but if you love a great story that will keep you up even after you finish the book, give A Woman of Two Minds a try!
236 reviews1 follower
February 21, 2020
Definitely an interesting and unique plot line. Another plus was the majority of the storyline was centered in the Reno area. Heard author speak at a Reno Storyteller event.
Displaying 1 - 3 of 3 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.