Start by marking “Love in 24 Frames” as Want to Read:
Love in 24 Frames

Love in 24 Frames

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2019 Advent Calendar collection Homemade for the Holidays..

Declan Groves is a CPA in New York City. His adult life is dictated by routine and borderline monotony. The need to express himself, in ways his career and crippling shyness have never allowed, leads Declan to becoming an amateur stop-motion filmmaker.

The one problem is that
ebook, 1st edition, 45 pages
Published December 1st 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Love in 24 Frames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love in 24 Frames

Start your review of Love in 24 Frames
Sheri
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
D’awwwww!
This was...delightful.
I was hoping for a sweet holiday short story and that's exactly what I got.
Declan is shy...painfully shy.
Working every evening at the studio where he rents a room, the highlight of his entire day greets him at the desk. He's been harboring a massive crush for Shota. But Shota is younger and definitely not interested in him. Right? Yeah. There's no way.
But humoring his crush won't hurt anybody.
Until...it does.
However, surprise! He finally finds his voice and
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Holiday Hearts - Blog holiday reads with Ann!

I’ve read every single one of Poe’s advent stories and I’ve yet not been disappointed. This was a total win!

Understated and sweet, this starts with Declan - older, so so shy, and unable to make a move on his secret crush Shoto.

Cue some awkwardness and a back and forth slow burn that ended with a really wonderful HEA for these two - and just in time for the holidays!

Poe definitely has that rare talent for shorts. This is one advent that will warm
CrabbyPatty
Ooh, I love this lovely tale of two middle-aged men who find love together. To counteract his staid job as a "stuffy, button-up accountant," 48-year-old Declan - who happens to have full sleeves of "bright and richly colored tattoos of floral mosaics covering each inch of bare skin" - rents a studio to create stop-motion video featuring puppets he has carefully crafted. Shota - "the most perfect human east of the Hudson River"- is the receptionist at the studio and the object of Declan's ...more
Ariana
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
There is so much promise to this book:
A great scenario and two interesting, mature characters.

However, and yes I know this is a novella, I felt that something was missing in this story. The plot felt under-developed when it could have been so much more. Getting only Declan's POV is definitely a drawback, because Shota's sudden declaration of attraction and interst seemed to come out of nowhere.

I still enjoyed reading it, but I had hoped for a little bit more.
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

This was as close to perfect as a short story can get. I loved it!
Hank Edwards
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this story in one sitting and I LOVED IT! I was immediately sucked into Declan's secret crush on Shota. I loved that both characters are in their 40s, something not seen very often. And then it's revealed that Declan is working on a stop motion film, and I gasped. I love stop motion. When I was younger (so very much younger) I received a Super 8 movie camera for Christmas one year and I loved making stop motion movies with it, using my Star Wars action figures. Poe's explanation of the ...more
Ann
4.5 Stars

Unicorn Christmas Review with *A Reader Obsessed*!

Love in 24 Frames is absolutely adorable was exactly what I expected from C.S. Poe. I read her advent tales faithfully every year and she has a real gift for writing short stories.

Declan is incredibly shy and his shyness is holding him back from his dream man who works at the studio that Declan rents to work on his stop motion animation project. Shota is charming and is subtley giving off interest vibes in Declan’s direction, but Declan
Ami
My initial reaction when I reached the ending… Urgh, why can't you add few more pages, author? Why? It's the holiday, be generous.

But yes, this one is charming. I adored Declan immediately. How could I not? He is crippled with his shyness, which results not being able to talk to Shota, a receptionist at the studio where Declan works on his creativity. My heart always loves this kind of characters. But Declan’s ‘gift’ for Shota is BRILLIANT. Oh, gosh, I want to hug that man so bad!

There’s a “
Denise H.
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accountant Declan likes Shota, but is too shy to tell him...

A cute little story of a super shy CPA, who rents a studio to make “ stop action” films. He’s got a crush on the studio’s attendant, Shota, but too shy to speak up. A jealous man tries to cause trouble, but it backfires.
Enjoy !

====
namericanwordcat
This little Christmas romance has a lot going for it. I always enjoy C.S Poe's writing. Declan and his crush are kind and romance even over such few pages is a sweet slow burn. Declan's romantic gesture and stop animation art form make this a extra special tale.

I could have done with out the jerk secondary character and the drama and just had more in falling in love time but good stuff overall.

Donna
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, Declan is shy... yes, he is adorable... yes, he deserves to get the man he is crushing on, BUT... let's NOT forget that Declan's story would not be possible without the wonderful Shota! *grin* ;D
Dianne Hartsock
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable! Declan is a dear, shy and introverted, wanting so much to have a simple conversation with Shota without stammering through his sentences. (Something I can so relate to!) And Shota, tender and patient with him, who, even after six months, hasn't given up on his crush. This is a sweet story of how these two gentle men find their way to each other. Happy sigh.
Cee Brown
.•*) .•*)
(.*..•`3.5 stars*..*ˑ

"I just couldn’t talk to him."

Painfully sigh and socially awkward, Declan has a massive crush on Shota. I loved how in the first scene he was all tongue tied and kicking himself. One could almost picture Shota wishing the older man would just approach him.

"Unrequited love was terrible."

Told from Declan's point of view, the reader is able to process his awkwardness and his need to become more approachable, but he can't. For six months, he'd been using his hobby
Heather
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xmas-time
4-1/2 Stars
Being incredibly shy my whole life I completely understand Declan's fears of beginning a conversation with Shota. Once I'm comfortable with someone you can't get me to shut up but taking those first few steps and words to getting to know someone is horrific for me, so I fell in love with Declan instantly. So nice to see a character like that without huge bags of angst weighing him down, just pure honest fear-inducing shyness. Shota desperately wanting to find that one question or
Robin
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're in need of some holiday sweetness you've come to the right place! C.S. Poe strikes again!!
And had me blubbering within the firstfew pages of this short story. Declan is so precious and so very very bad at socializing. (Aren't we all sometimes? :) sometimes you just gotta scream out in social awkwardness.) But reading Declan's voice and his thoughts I was immediately in love with him and wanted only the best things for him. His wistful, anguished pining just gets my heartstrings!

Within
Brittney Hooker
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'll stop hugging my tablet for a moment because I just have to tell you all about this beautiful holiday short! How is it that people are against such bubbly feelings? This story was so well developed and unique, yet sill gave me all the feels! I absolutely adored how Declan and Shota both had things that prohibited them from originally being upfront about their obvious attraction and chemistry, yet CS Poe makes sure both of those things are still felt to the reader.

Declan's anxieties
Anu
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I so very much enjoyed this one. A shy accountant has a crush on the receptionist at the studio where he spends his evenings making a stop-motion movie about his feelings. A chance encounter outside their normal environment opens their eyes to the other’s feelings and what unfolds is such a beautiful, almost old-fashioned courtship.
As short stories go, this felt like it was longer - all the scenes felt complete though they were by force compact. And while our heroes barely kiss on page, I didn’
Erica
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why, but this seemed uneven, to me. I quite enjoyed the parts about the animation, though.
Erika
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! I love all of C.S. Poe's stories and her quirky vulnerable characters. This was a sweet holiday addition.
Marge
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fully drawn characters and a beautiful, heartwarming story.
Christy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle, arc, m-m, holiday
I have never seen The Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton, and thus I had no idea that the type of filmmaking used is called stop-motion. I also had zero clue of the dedication it requires to perform this unique artistry and that it took them three years to make that film. Once I learned that it takes twenty-four frames to make a single second of movie, I wasn’t all that surprised.

Declan’s hobby is stop-motion filmmaking and Shota happens to be the evening receptionist at the building
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Declan and Shota have always had chemistry, but neither is certain enough to want to make a move. Until they start meeting outside their regular routine and suddenly new possibilities open up to them both.

I enjoyed this short story – in large part because I found it so refreshing and unsual that Declan’s character could be so very competent and organized in almost every are of his life until it came with interacting with Shota. In general Declan has no problems carrying out a coherent
Annie Maus
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Because short stories have few pages, characters rarely develop, and I find it hard to rank them five hearts. C.S. Poe’s Love in 24 Frames is a delightful exception.

Declan Groves longs for Shota Watanabe with such simple clarity that I wished I could rub his aching heart. Men in their forties, an overlooked age group; we know if we were single at that age… Let’s just say, their shyness is entirely believable. Declan, who narrates, explains his reticence to approach Shota. “My social graces were
Veronica
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Love in 24 Frames is a sweet novella that I read in one sitting. I liked that this is story about men in their 40s. I really liked that even I 48 years old, Declan is shy when it comes social situations and romance. I particularly liked the simple way that this romance unfolds. Love in 24 Frames is a lovely story.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Beth
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sweet, touching holiday short story. It has huge “aww” factor. A shy, middle aged man who has a huge crush on the receptionist at the studio where he does stop action film-making as a way to escape his boring accountant life. It’s so sweet and despite the brief time allowed in a short story we feel like we get to know him so well.

The trajectory of the romance is lovely, the crisis moment is infuriating (stupid, annoying bad-guy!) and the resolution uplifting. A great holiday read.
Karen
Sweet holiday romance with two older MC’s. Declan is super shy and awkward and seeing him fumble his way through his (attempts at) conversations with Shota was quite cute. I liked how the relationship between the two men developed, unhurried, based on mutual liking and respect. Though still with quite a lot of nerves and worrying on Declan’s part. Near the end, things take an unexpected turn for the worse for Shota, but Declan comes to the rescue brilliantly and his 24 frames take care of the ...more
kathleen
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love in 24 Frames is the perfect holiday nugget of a story. It is sweet and loving. The characters are ones you can't help falling in love with. Shy, awkward Declan yearning for Shota and not being able to tell him. Shota is hard working, kind and just as interested in Declan. I loved the amazing, old fashioned way Declan chose to woo Shota. My favorite line is "I loved that about him. He didn't listen for when it was his turn to speak. He simply listened." Heart melting!
Claudia
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, short-story, m-m, lgbt
I hardly ever give a 5stars rating to a short story, but this one? This one was perfect!

The exact mix of hilarious (my social graces were about on par with that of a screaming opossum, hilarious), and endearing sweetness.

Declan is such a lovely character: sweet, patient, full of love. And I love that both, he and Shota, are forty-ish, hard-working men who are looking for something special in their lives.

I simply loved it :)
Monika

4.5 Stars

This was so adorable! I hopelessly and completely fell in love with the Shota & Declan. Such a sweet little holiday story. I really, really wish there was more to this one.

TAGS
-- Holiday/Christmas -- mature MCs... Shota & Declan -- one very shy MC -- two very sweet men -- made me smile -- want more of these guys -- a lot of emotion packed into a few pages -- less than 50 pages -- recommended read
Kris
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked last year's story a bit more, I connected better with the characters, but that said, this was a wonderful way to spend an hour. And FAR more enjoyable than the sappy Hallmark movie on the TV (I didn't choose it). The plot was smooth and progressed nicely. The characters were well drawn for a short story and I would love to see more of them.

• Get Lit
  • The Fairy Shop
  • A Swants Soiree
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Sweet Anticipation
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Hole-Hearted
  • Mr. Right Now
  • A Stitch in Time
  • The Great Aerodynamicist
  • Purls of Wisdom
C.S. Poe is a Lambda Literary and two-time EPIC award finalist, and a FAPA award-winning author of gay mystery, romance, and speculative fiction.
She is a reluctant mover and has called many places home in her lifetime. C.S. has lived in New York City, Key West, and Ibaraki, Japan, to name a few. She misses the cleanliness, convenience, and limited-edition gachapon of Japan, but she was never very