Start by marking “The Housekeeper” as Want to Read:

The Housekeeper

She's a liar. She's a stalker. She's in your house.

When Claire sees Hannah Wilson at an exclusive Manhattan hair salon, it's like a knife slicing through barely healed scars. It may have been ten years since Claire last saw Hannah, but she has thought of her every day, and not in a good way. So Claire does what anyone would do in her position—she stalks her.

Hannah is

Published October 31st 2019 by Furphies Press

To ask other readers questions about The Housekeeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Housekeeper

Start your review of The Housekeeper
Dita
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Yep, okay...I thought I knew the score. I was completely wrong.

Well done, Ms. Barelli; hat tip to you because I am tough to surprise.

That narration though? Please. It made my ears bleed.

If I want to hear gratuitous overacting and drama I'll go to my mom's house, hmmmmkay...
Jayme
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
When I began reading this I couldn’t decide if I liked it, or felt it was a similar, but not quite as good, “Jane Doe”. (Victoria Helen Stone)

Claire reminded me of our favorite character, Ms Doe, except that I loved Jane Doe, and could root for her success, as the person she plotted her revenge against was so deserving of it!!

I did not like Claire, and was not sure that her Victim, Mrs Hannah Carter, deserved what she was getting from her “housekeeper” so, I wasn’t rooting for Claire...

I was
Bren
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Domestic thrillers with soul.
Recommended to Bren by: Tara Rock
"I don't want to be pulled out of it, April. I like my misery. It's taken alot of effort to be this miserable. Why would I throw it all away?"

The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli

Where do I begin?

It is rare for me to cry from a domestic thriller. We read these books..and all genres provoke different reactions.

In the case of the domestic thriller, we read them for fun, for suspense..but usually we are not TOUCHED..to the point that what we're reading ceases being a standard thriller and becomes
Laura Peden
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun, easy, quick little domestic thriller. Binged in one day. Free on Hoopla. Life is good ...more
Michael David
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Barelli has got to be one of my favorite authors. I've loved each of her books, and this one is no exception. This is a tense thriller, and what I love about her books is the dark and bitingly funny humor that gets weaved in. The twist was totally unexpected, and I was very satisfied from start to finish! I highly recommend this and all of Barelli's novels, especially the two Emma Fern books.
Crystal Hiatt
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wom2019-nyn
Claire, while not a likable character, is extremely entertaining. She is deceitful, manipulative, callous but also snarky and snide, which adds a nice humorous tone to the book. I enjoyed getting inside her head (scary I know) and understanding why she did the things she did.
I did enjoy the twists of the book. One was pretty obvious to me at about the halfway point (but then I read a lot of these books) while others came as a surprise. Despite figuring out some aspects of the ending, it didn't
Lady Delacour
Foul Language.
Eve
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Psychological Thriller / Domestic / Contemporary

Claire (24) is quite the mess, she's flawed, damaged, devious and duplicitous. She sneakily lie, steal, use her body, troll people. But despite that I found myself reading on and wanting to find out what crazy scheme she comes up next after she accidentally meets woman who wronged her family 10 years ago. What was the history between Claire and Hannah. How her revenge plan ends?

This was my first book by Natalie Barelli and despite unlikeable
Amitaf0208
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
very good. couldn't stop reading.
Theresa Hildebrand
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, mystery

The Housekeeper has been categorized as a "twisted psychological thriller." I do not share this opinion. Psychological ? Yes. Twisted ? A little bit. Thriller ? Not so much. The story line has potential for greatness, but in the end it falls flat. Towards the end I started wondering if there was only one main character and the other woman was merely an alter personality. Sadly that was not the case. It's never a good sign when you find yourself wanting to rewrite the end of a book.

Katie Topp
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm pretty certain Barelli is not an author I love, or even respect. I read her previous novel, The Loyal Wife, and it was really bad. I hated it. There is an amateur quality to her writing (I know, who the hell am I to criticize) but there really is something missing. Something that separates her from other best seller authors....

All that to say, I found a way to enjoy The House Keeper. Almost as a guilty pleasure, because I know it's going to be bad before I start. This was a quick read and I
Leighann
I listened to the audiobook and stopped listening after 20 or so minutes. The narration was horrible. The main character is 24, but the narrator made her sound like a 45-year-old. A 29yo character sounded like an 8yo. And am older woman with a lisp sounded just ridiculous. The narration makes or breaks a book.

Because several people said that the plot surprised them, something difficult to do in a thriller these days, I gave it a second chance. The narration was still horrible, but I got through
Joann
I read one of the author's books and thought this one would be good. It wasn't, in my opinion, and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends. The beginning just goes on and on about Claire sitting in a coffee shop/bar and stalking Hannah. I was about ready to throw in the towel. It did pick up finally but there was some really unreal happenings in the book that just didn't mesh and seemed down-right silly. I'm just mad that I spend $4.00 on this.
C
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and twisty ! I enjoyed.
Barbara Fields
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH.MY.WOW. What a fantastic book!

First, no I was not given a free copy of this book. I purchased it the day it came out because I love Natalie Barelli and have already read most of her books. The minute I found out about this new book of hers I rushed to purchase it. This is one of my faves so far! The story line just drew me in and I honestly could not stop reading it. Crazy stalker becomes obsessed with woman she thinks wronged her and decides to make sure her life is not going to be a good
Jill Burgin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I love Natalie Barelli as a writer and adored all her previous novels and this new one is no exception. They are all great psychological thrillers with plenty of twists and switches to make you want to finish them in one sitting. The protagonist is always a woman with dubious motives, deeply flawed, often murderous and desperate, often really funny, and somehow the writing has you rooting for them all the way. Claire is the star of this one and has been harboring deep resentment ...more
Joanne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this and my head is still spinning! No one does a twisty female relationship quite like Natalie Barrelli. I have read all of her novels and was excited to delve into this one.

I don’t want to give too much detail as this is definitely best gone into blind but this was one of the best cat and mouse books I have read in a long time. Good twist and denouement, this book has entertained me in two sittings. Can’t wait for the next one!
Lindsay Nixon
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

Could not put this one down! Excellent choice for fans of psychological thrillers! And it’s quite refreshing in the storyline as well. This is my second book by this author and look forward to reading more. My only complaint was the narrator sounded in her 40s when the person was supposed to be 24.

Summary: when Clare was a teen away at school, the nanny for her brother claimed she was sexually assaulted. Clare believes it was a lie and she was conning the family for money (there is
Sonia
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Spoiler alert - I'm going to give away the heart of the story immediately in my review.

Listened to the audiobook of this book. Things were fine until the author decided to make the bad guy the husband/a man. She had the audience (me) thinking that the 'bad guy' was the wife, which was already a twist, and then decided to twist it a second time but I think that second twist was a cop-out and a plot line that has been written before - about an abusive husband, a sadist, who kills women and likes
Kellyn
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
LittleDeadRedGoddessPersephone
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

I have to admit that I was very pleasantly surprised. I picked it up with a credit as something to listen to while I relaxed and I ended up finishing the whole book. It was a great way to spend a relaxing night at home.

Claire basically has given up on trying when it comes to just about anything in life. Years ago her family was basically destroyed by an accusation made against her Father when she was a teen. She has hated Hannah Wilson since then and has thought of how to get
Jennie
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
♓️ Michelle
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! I was not expecting that twist at the end. My mind was going a completely different direction. I hadn’t realized I’d read one of her books earlier this year, Missing Molly, but apparently wasn’t all that impressed with it at the time. This book definitely impressed me. Again, the writing was done well and the characters were believable.
At first the plot seemed a bit out there. A woman believes a girl from her past is responsible for all the things that are wrong in her own life now, so
Kristen
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book so badly! It had great potential, but the story kept building up to a twist, then nothing much. Build up to a twist, then nothing much. Then the twist finally arrives aaaannndddd... it was rather disappointing to me.

I listened to the audio and while the narrator is one of my favorites, her voice is too mature to play a main character who is 24. If whomever produced this had allowed her to switch Claire and Hannah’s voices, it would’ve been better since Hannah is a bit
Jessika
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicole Evelina
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
Slow in the beggining—I almost gave up—but then there was a twist and I couldn’t put it down. I will say that parts reminded me a lot of another book whose title I can think of, so not a wholly original plot.
Rose🌹🌹🌹
4 1/2 stars the audiobook narrator was fantastic! Lot’s of twists and turns, Very good book!
Marti
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am on a roll in 2020. All my books so far have been great reads. Read in one day.
Jen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 - Pretty solid 3 throughout, but the ending was more of 1.
Tara
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
So the main character was so so unlikeable. You are kind of rooting for who you think the villain might be just bc the main character is so unlikeable. Claire was depressing, so down on life and herself that I listened to it on two times speed just to be done w it. I didn’t see the ending coming but it all wrapped up so quickly with a pretty little bow and I’m supposed to believe this bitter Claire has changed her whole view and outlook on life in a year? Hmmm
I loved missing molly and am pretty
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Argument
  • The Other Daughter
  • One-Hit Wonder
  • The Wives
  • First Blood (series prequel)
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • The Thorn Girl
  • The Woman Upstairs
  • The Empty Nest
  • The Man She Married
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • In Her Footsteps
  • When He Fell
You will usually find Natalie Barelli reading a book, and that book will more likely than not be a psychological thriller. Then Natalie decided to write one, and she hasn’t stopped writing since.

When not absorbed in the latest gripping page-turner, Natalie rides motorcycles, knits very badly and spends far too much time at the computer. She lives in rural NSW, in Australia.