Start by marking “The Housekeeper” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  18,256 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews
She's a liar. She's a stalker. She's in your house.

When Claire sees Hannah Wilson at an exclusive Manhattan hair salon, it's like a knife slicing through barely healed scars. It may have been ten years since Claire last saw Hannah, but she has thought of her every day, and not in a good way. So Claire does what anyone would do in her position—she stalks her.

Hannah is now M

Published October 31st 2019 by Furphies Press

To ask other readers questions about The Housekeeper, please sign up.
Cardmaker Because she was watching the house so she could follow Hannah when she came out, she saw Diane come out and stand on the sidewalk crying. She went ove…moreBecause she was watching the house so she could follow Hannah when she came out, she saw Diane come out and stand on the sidewalk crying. She went over and "accidentally" bumped into her so she could ask her what was wrong. Then she took her to the Plaza for a drink or two and talked to her about her problem. That was the only time she actually met and talked to her before she went for the job to replace Diane.(less)

·  18,256 ratings  ·  1,368 reviews

Start your review of The Housekeeper
Jayme
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
When I began reading this I couldn’t decide if I liked it, or felt it was a similar, but not quite as good, “Jane Doe”. (Victoria Helen Stone)

Claire reminded me of our favorite character, Ms Doe, except that I loved Jane Doe, and could root for her success, as the person she plotted her revenge against was so deserving of it!!

I did not like Claire, and was not sure that her Victim, Mrs Hannah Carter, deserved what she was getting from her “housekeeper” so, I wasn’t rooting for Claire...

I was j
Bren
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Domestic thrillers with soul.
Recommended to Bren by: Tara Rock
"I don't want to be pulled out of it, April. I like my misery. It's taken alot of effort to be this miserable. Why would I throw it all away?"

The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli

Where do I begin?

It is rare for me to cry from a domestic thriller. We read these books..and all genres provoke different reactions.

In the case of the domestic thriller, we read them for fun, for suspense..but usually we are not TOUCHED..to the point that what we're reading ceases being a standard thriller and becomes some
Liz
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-clubs
This book gets off to a slow start. Clare is not a likeable character, so I wasn’t thrilled to keep hearing about how she’s a pathetic loser, all because of Hannah. I wanted to tell Clare to wash her hair and put on her big girl panties. But I stuck with it to see what lengths she would go to to exact revenge. Turns out, pretty far, including taking a job as Hannah’s housekeeper.
The plot is not at all believable. You have to be willing to accept a lot of coincidental plot points. And call me cr
Michael David
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Barelli has got to be one of my favorite authors. I've loved each of her books, and this one is no exception. This is a tense thriller, and what I love about her books is the dark and bitingly funny humor that gets weaved in. The twist was totally unexpected, and I was very satisfied from start to finish! I highly recommend this and all of Barelli's novels, especially the two Emma Fern books. ...more
MissBecka Gee
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MissBecka by: Dita

Well written with all the bits you could want in a psychological.

Katie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm pretty certain Barelli is not an author I love. I read her previous novel, The Loyal Wife, and it was really bad. I hated it. There is an amateur quality to her writing (I know, who the hell am I to criticize) but there really is something missing. Something that separates her from other best seller authors....

All that to say, I found a way to enjoy The House Keeper. Almost as a guilty pleasure, because I know it's going to be bad before I start. This was a quick read and I enjoyed that the
Barbara
3.5 Stars: Given the Covid-19 crisis, my book club needed a story that possessed enough of a thriller aspect to distract our sad hearts. “The Housekeeper” by Natalie Barelli is a highly rated thriller novel with promises of addictive reading. It delivered.

The protagonist, Claire, is a 24-year-old, very unlikeable and struggling young adult. She’s a bit crazy. Well, very crazy. Her life ambition at the beginning of the novel is scamming people to just get by. Claire sees a woman from her past, w
Deborah Rogers
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I found this a really good read! The strong character voice kept me glued to the pages, wondering what was going to happen next. I confess, I'm a sucker for an unreliable narrator who has a little bit of an edge to her, and I see the book has had some mixed reviews because for some readers the main narrator would be quite unlikeable. But if that's not too much of a problem for you, I think you'll enjoy The Housekeeper. It would be especially good for fans of John Marrs. ...more
Laura Peden
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun, easy, quick little domestic thriller. Binged in one day. Free on Hoopla. Life is good 😎
Books Just 4 Me
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
This was a crazy read! Claire is definitely a sociopath, she is beyond messed up, but she owns it! This was quite a trip watching Claire enact revenge on Hannah. We find out pretty quickly why she’s so vengeful, which I appreciated. I’m not a big fan of when authors drag out the secret. I was definitely engaged the whole time and I really liked the twists! Looking forward to more books from Barelli.
Jocelyn
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, 2021
Cheesey.
Unrealistic- even stupid dialog.
Far fetched at best.
Mediocre.

I have nothing nice to say about this book, so I won’t say any more.
Theresa Hildebrand
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, mystery

The Housekeeper has been categorized as a "twisted psychological thriller." I do not share this opinion. Psychological ? Yes. Twisted ? A little bit. Thriller ? Not so much. The story line has potential for greatness, but in the end it falls flat. Towards the end I started wondering if there was only one main character and the other woman was merely an alter personality. Sadly that was not the case. It's never a good sign when you find yourself wanting to rewrite the end of a book.

Denise
Jun 10, 2020 added it
This was a DNF at 30% for me. I tried several times to pick it up and give it another go, but I despised the main character and every other character so much that I decided not to waste another minute of a my time on this one.
Lady Delacour
Foul Language.
Lisa
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Revenge fantasy gone wild

We all have fantasies of exacting revenge on those who have hurt us. It's natural to want to get back at someone. You hurt me so I'll hurt you. Tit for tat.

But this book goes far beyond any reasonable or credible theory behind revenge. The protagonist, Clair Petersen assumes a false identity in order to inveigle herself into the life of the woman she holds responsible for her father's untimely death. Accused of sexual assault by the nanny, he dies from a heart attack, h
Jaime
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Give me all of Natalie Barelli’s books! Lots of twists and I did not see that ending coming!
Hannah Ho
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Leighann
I listened to the audiobook and stopped listening after 20 or so minutes. The narration was horrible. The main character is 24, but the narrator made her sound like a 45-year-old. A 29yo character sounded like an 8yo. And am older woman with a lisp sounded just ridiculous. The narration makes or breaks a book.

Because several people said that the plot surprised them, something difficult to do in a thriller these days, I gave it a second chance. The narration was still horrible, but I got through
Crystal Hiatt
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Claire, while not a likable character, is extremely entertaining. She is deceitful, manipulative, callous but also snarky and snide, which adds a nice humorous tone to the book. I enjoyed getting inside her head (scary I know) and understanding why she did the things she did.
I did enjoy the twists of the book. One was pretty obvious to me at about the halfway point (but then I read a lot of these books) while others came as a surprise. Despite figuring out some aspects of the ending, it didn't
Amitaf0208
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
very good. couldn't stop reading. ...more
Ashley Gallegos
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stayed up all night to read this book because I couldn’t put it down! Such a fantastic read!!! I couldn’t put it down and the twists are amazing! Highly recommend!
Aurora
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Spoiler alert - I'm going to give away the heart of the story immediately in my review.

Listened to the audiobook of this book. Things were fine until the author decided to make the bad guy the husband/a man. She had the audience (me) thinking that the 'bad guy' was the wife, which was already a twist, and then decided to twist it a second time but I think that second twist was a cop-out and a plot line that has been written before - about an abusive husband, a sadist, who kills women and likes
Eve
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Psychological Thriller / Domestic / Contemporary

Claire (24) is quite the mess, she's flawed, damaged, devious and duplicitous. She sneakily lie, steal, use her body, troll people. But despite that I found myself reading on and wanting to find out what crazy scheme she comes up next after she accidentally meets woman who wronged her family 10 years ago. What was the history between Claire and Hannah. How her revenge plan ends?

This was my first book by Natalie Barelli and despite unlikeable heroin
Tonya
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great thriller!!! Although I was enjoying it, I thought this was going to be the typical thriller. Wow! What a wonderful surprise! The ending had a twist I did not see coming. I also really enjoyed the character development of the protagonist, Claire. She made me laugh at times, and also had me on the edge of my seat. This is a quick, suspenseful read that will keep you reading late into the night. I definitely recommend this to thriller addicts. I am looking forward to more books by Natalie Bar ...more
Joann
I read one of the author's books and thought this one would be good. It wasn't, in my opinion, and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends. The beginning just goes on and on about Claire sitting in a coffee shop/bar and stalking Hannah. I was about ready to throw in the towel. It did pick up finally but there was some really unreal happenings in the book that just didn't mesh and seemed down-right silly. I'm just mad that I spend $4.00 on this. ...more
Kellyn
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
JudiAnne
Claire has a plan to destroy Hannah who is the wife of a wealthy man, lives in a beautiful house and they have a gorgeous baby. You see, once upon a time Claire was a pretty girl who lived in a beautiful house with wealthy parents but now she has gained a lot of weight by eating junk food, drinks too much and she blames it on Hannah. She manages to get hired as Hannah’s housekeeper and somehow she gets away with only pretending to clean. Eventually things are not as they seem. Hannah is needy an ...more
L. McCoy
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, hoopla, reviewed, audio
SUPER FAST REVIEW:
Okay so the story itself has quite a bit of potential and it’s certainly a suspenseful book.
Unfortunately the characters are completely unlikable... all of them are either shitty, annoying, uninteresting or a mix. There’s a bit of an attempt at being “hip” and “modern” on “what the kids are into these days” which doesn’t work at all and makes this book already seem a tad dated in some bits despite having only come out a couple months ago. It’s also very slow.
So overall it isn’t
Victoria Ellis
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

Honestly. I saw zero of that coming.
I wanted to put it down at first but it’s because I was doing so much and not concentrating. Once I focused in on the book I couldn’t stop. Bravo!
Lady Jane of Aragorn

Amazon and Scribd kept on recommending this to me so I finally gave in. Unfortunately, it was such a disappointing read. The main character was very unlikeable and I really didn't like her tone or how she viewed the world around her. The twists, although I did not see them coming (could be because I was not fully engaged and just wanted to know what will happen), were lackluster.

It also felt that the real antagonist was too self-aware. Even mentioned that they copied a movie.

I was very

• First Blood (DI Kim Stone, #0.5)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)
  • Red Rain (Nameless #4)
  • In Her Footsteps
  • When He Fell
  • Her Last Whisper (Detective Katie Scott, #2)
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • The Girl on Gander Green Lane
  • Am I Guilty?
  • Love You Gone
  • A Face in the Crowd
  • Friends Like These
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn, #6)
  • The Liar's Wife
You will usually find Natalie Barelli reading a book, and that book will more likely than not be a psychological thriller. Then Natalie decided to write one, and she hasn’t stopped writing since.

When not absorbed in the latest gripping page-turner, Natalie rides motorcycles, knits very badly and spends far too much time at the computer. She lives in rural NSW, in Australia.

News & Interviews