Start by marking “This Time Next Year” as Want to Read:
This Time Next Year

This Time Next Year

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  72,842 ratings  ·  7,040 reviews
The instant New York Times bestseller adored by readers around the world! Curl up with the refreshingly romantic and unputdownable rom-com which has everyone falling head over heels...

Get ready to fall for this year's most extraordinary love story

Quinn and Minnie are born on New Year's Eve, in the same hospital, one minute apart.

Their lives may begin together, but their wo
Published August 1st 2020 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about This Time Next Year, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Vicki From the club party when they were 14 and had a chance meeting in the hall. She said she hated the midnight as “lemming o’clock” when you grab whoever…moreFrom the club party when they were 14 and had a chance meeting in the hall. She said she hated the midnight as “lemming o’clock” when you grab whoever is near to kiss. (less)

·  72,842 ratings  ·  7,040 reviews

Start your review of This Time Next Year
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
4 Stars

I've been trying to make a better point of reading any newly purchased physical books as soon as possible upon their entrance into my home....otherwise they just seem to fall into the "languishing unread on my shelves forever" abyss. Also, I'm trying to meet my Book of the Month reading goal this year. And I am was three books short.

Enter me picking this up right before bed the other night with the intent of reading "just a couple chapters."

Well, we all know how that goes sometimes.

description

So,
emma
Oct 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you yearn for the days of British romcoms before romcoms were good, this is the book for you.

If you’re a Bridget Jones person over a Love Actually / Notting Hill / whatever, this might also be the book for you. Sorry, my vitriolic hatred of Bridget Jones is showing.

(The best British romcom, by the way, is About Time. I will not take feedback on this point.)

This one harkens back to a simpler day, before we cared about being nice to each other and bigotry of all kinds was just a little someth
Ceecee
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is essentially a romance novel there’s much more to it which makes it a more interesting read. Minnie and Quinn are born a minute apart on New Years Eve/Day in 1989/90. Their respective mothers Connie Cooper and Tara Hamilton are so different both in personality and background, as Tara exudes a wealthy background. The story takes us through various New Years Eve and Day events until Quinn and Minnie truly find each other.

The strongest element of the book is the characterisation wh
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
OMG I loved this book! This was the absolute perfect book to start the year out with! The perfect little rom-com that gave me all the feels!

The name is Minnie...Minnie Cooper..I can't help but want to laugh.. I loved Minnie! So your name gets stolen by a woman your mom met, while they were both in labor...so in a moment of desperation she names you Minnie Cooper. Thanks Mom! Look, Minnie is as cute as the car.

Minnie thinks she is jinxed because of her name..well... and she is a bit. She reminde
Michael David (on hiatus)
November BOTM selection.

“Sweet, sweet fantasy, baby
When I close my eyes
You come and you take me
On and on and on”
-Mariah Carey “Fantasy”

The song has nothing to do with this book, but I thought it was fitting in the capacity of this sweet, fictional rom-com.

Minnie Cooper (a person, not a car) is just vrooming through life as a pie-maker for the less fortunate. 🥧 (Sorry for the dad-joke about Mini Coopers and vrooming 🚗 .) She’s a New Year’s baby...and was supposed to be named Quinn Cooper. Ho
Obsidian
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I read this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

I found this book to be delightful and was engaged throughout my reading. I loved how Minnie and Quinn came to be part of each other's lives (the story of their births was great) and how they seemed to constantly be in a loop around each other growing up. Though I gave this 5 stars, I have to say that I think that there was a missed opportunity to explore Quinn more. I think the book focused mainly on Minnie
Farrah
Almost 30% and I'm calling it quits.
This book's humor and my humor don't jive. All the jokes are at poor Minnie's expense.
Minnie got puked on.
Minnie was locked in a bathroom over night.
Minnie fell down a manhole while her mom exclaimed how she's been unlucky since birth.
It's like slapstick comedy, which isn't my thing.
Sheyla ✎
Jan 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, best-2021, romance
The story was a good one. Two souls that were connected since birth and they finally met at the age of thirty, during their birthday, on New Year's Day.

Or do they already know each other?

Minnie Copper (no joke that's her name) believes her birthday is jinxed. She was born a minute too late on New Year's Day to become the first 90's baby. She lost the cash prize as a newborn. She also lost her name. Her mother wanted to name her Quinn but while ready to deliver Minnie, she was placed in a room wi
Susanne
Review published on blog:http://books-are-a-girls-best-friend....

THIS! Is Everything a Rom-Com Should Be and More!

“This Time Next Year” by Sophie Cousens delivers all the feels and is clever, smart, sassy, and sexy to boot. It simply doesn’t get better than this!

Born on New Year’s Day in 1990, Minnie Cooper has always felt unlucky. Why? Another child (Quinn Hamilton) was born one minute before her in the same hospital and was the first baby born just after midnight that year and because of it hi
Jessica | JustReadingJess
This Time Next Year is a great novel. I loved the storyline and the layout of the book with mixed in flashbacks really added to the story. All of the characters are great. Minnie and Quinn are both great people dealing with personal issues. Quinn is afraid to get close to people. Minnie is afraid to take risks and blames everything on her bad luck.

The friendship between Minnie and Leila added to the story. They have been best friends since they were fifteen years old. They tell each other every
Jen
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, libby
I LOVED this audiobook!! My kind of romantic story 💕

Minnie Cooper (yep) hates her New Year’s birthday, she’s been told all of her life that another baby at the hospital stole her true name (Quinn) and all of her luck. Every time anything goes wrong in her life, her Mom tells her it’s basically her lot in life. (UGH really Mom??)

Well doesn’t she meet said Quinn at a party on New Years where yes, she is having bad luck once again and yes, he does seem to be having a lifetime of good luck and rich
Yoda
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book surprised me, I was not expecting to like it this much. I did tho, I loved it in fact. Usually while reading about missed chances, with characters that cannot acknowledge their own worth and on top are very superstitious? That´s not really my cup of tea, it drives me crazy if its written wrong. However this was written so well, I´m still not over it. I adored the main characters and even though they had some negati
Lucy
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-com, 2021, audiobooks
I loved this book! It was funny, witty, and always entertaining. I loved the characters, the setting, and the story itself 🥰.

Although the story spans an entire year (from one New Year's Eve to the next one), we learn lots about Minnie Cooper and Quinn Hamilton through various flashbacks to significant dates in their lives. This, I think is what makes the characters and the story so well-developed and engaging. The witty banter between Minnie and Quinn kept the story entertaining throughout. Over
Amanda
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minnie Cooper (with a name like that, you know she is going to be a great character!!) meets Quinn at a New Year’s Eve party. They discover they were both born on the same day and at the same hospital. Minnie has always felt jinxed on New Year’s Eve and blames it on the fact that when she was born, Quinn’s mother stole the name that was meant for her, when the 2 expectant mothers bonded together at the hospital.

This wonderful story is told over several timelines, throughout both Quinn and Minnie
Camilla
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
This book just wasn't for me.

This is the story of two people, Minnie and Quinn, who were born on the same day at the same hospital, and their paths cross on their 30th birthday. I thought this was going to be a romance novel, but it wasn't. I don't even know how to categorize this, because I just didn't care for any of it.
Third person narration in contemporary books to me is just pointless, and I couldn't connect with any of the characters. In fact, I hated both of them, cause they just made
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
CW: agoraphobia, anxiety
Whitney Erwin
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
I was drawn to This Time Next Year by the pretty cover!! Unfortunately, that's probably what I loved about it the most. This was just an okay read for me. There is nothing memorable about it or nothing special that sticks out about it. ...more
Bookread2day
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
I loved reading This Time Next Year, with two unlikely friends that’s has one extraordinary love story.

Minnie is out with her boyfriend Greg, celebrating the New Year with sparkling fireworks, but as its her birthday too, unfortunately nothing seems to go right for Minnie at all, she has so mishaps, which are rather loud out moment. Minnie Cooper struck a chord for me as I’ve never known a character, with everything turning into disasters.

By c
Susan's Reviews
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this one.

I was expecting the usual RomCom, but the last few chapters impressed me. Quinn was sending Minnie mixed signals - no doubt about it. Minnie needed to force herself to step back from that sham friendship, take a reality check and grow a backbone.

I cheered when, at last!, Minnie was able to shed her mother's pessimistic world view and stop living in fear. Minnie did NOT let Quinn waltz back into her life after he'd had his own AHA moment. She finally got
exploraDora
Jan 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, romance
***3 stars***

I've been eagerly waiting to get my hands on this book for months; the anticipation was high but so was the disappointment when I finished it.

This Time Next Year is the story of a woman named Minnie Cooper (yes, that's her real name) and a guy named Quinn Hamilton. They were both born on New Year's eve in the same hospital, only one minute apart and this is what always made Minnie resent the guy, because she is convinced he “stole” all her luck and fortune by having the audacity to
Brandice
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Minnie Cooper (yep, no typo) was born on New Year’s Day and for years, believes she is jinxed after arriving just a few minutes later than the first baby born that same day, Quinn Hamilton.

When she‘s 30, Minnie experiences another unfortunate New Year’s Eve and happens to meet Quinn. They’re opposites and from different worlds — Minnie, a baker, working hard to make ends meet, Quinn, a management consultant, living in a posh neighborhood who has a seemingly perfect life. After meeting on their
Nancy (Trying  to catch up with reviews)
Occasionally I need to cleanse my palate between books with a little Rom-Com and this one totally hit the spot.

There were many parts that made me chuckle and a few that made me laugh out loud. Both Minnie and Quinn were extremely likable and I loved the banter between Minnie and her best friend.

This Time Next Year was a little tropey and predictable, but it was just so much fun and I loved it! 4.5 stars rounded up.
Barbara
Good Morning America chose “This Time Next Year” as December’s book club pick. Rom-Com is not a genre I gravitate towards, so I am grateful for their pick as it is an intelligent, fun, and sweet story. “Sleepless in Seattle” is referenced in this novel, and it’s perfect because similar to “Sleepless”, this is a novel that is heartwarming and satisfying.

Minnie hates New Years because she believes she is jinxed. She was born on New Year’s day 1990 and was to be named “Quinn”. Her mother chose that
Darla
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday, chick-lit
Quinn Hamilton and Minnie Cooper (yes, they went there) were born just minutes apart on January 1, 1990. They grew up on opposite sides of the railroad . . .bridge. You might assume that their lives will simply show the contrast between being a "have" and a "have not." It goes deeper than that. What goes on inside the walls of Quinn's "blueberry ice cream" house is not visible to those walking the sidewalks of Primrose Hill. The pride Minnie's parents have in her accomplishment is not communicat ...more
Jacob Proffitt
This was very much chick-lit rather than romance. Which mainly means (to me) that the personal development of the heroine is the primary story (or at least foregrounded). And this is very much about the growth of Minnie and overcoming her "curse". Not a bad thing, really, but . . . okay, it wasn't a good one. I mean, she's a bit self-involved and fear-driven and that is not a comfortable combination.

One of the things that I've noticed about British chick-lit, in particular, is that it often star
Jacqueline
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arc
This is one of those missed chances style stories that can sometimes drive me a little bit mad, but happily this one was cute and I liked everyone in it.

They were born a few minutes apart in the same hospital in the first few minutes of 1990. As an aside, I can remember 'seeing in' 1990 (in a pub, I believe I was in fancy dress as Perky pig, don't ask) and to my shame it doesn't feel like it was that long ago. God I'm old and it did make me slightly, uncomfortably conscious that I'm much closer
Susan Z
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All the love, and all the stars, for this fantastic Rom-Com. What an unbelievable debut.

Minnie has been cursed on New Years Day since she was born. Maybe it's because she was named Minnie Cooper. Or maybe it's because a baby born a minute before her stole what was to be her lucky name,Quinn. On her 30th birthday, Minnie meets her name steeling nemesis.

I loved the chemistry and tension between Minnie and Quinn, but I also loved the friendship between Minnie and Leila. If only we were all blessed
booksbytheboats
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book, I loved Quinn right from the start, the sort of one sided banter between him and Minnie and the relationship with his mum.

I absolutely loved that this book had quite a serious mental health ‘side plot’ - it really stopped it from being more of typical girly book and definitely gave it that little bit more depth.

Although there are elements of predictability within this, there is also a real unique subplot within this and it made the ending just that little b
Em read_em_andweep
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I can't even express how much I loved this book.

Quinn and Minnie are born on New Year’s Eve in the same hospital; one minute apart. Their similarities seem to end there for thirty years until they are in the same place at the same time again. On the surface, Quinn and Minnie are from different worlds but there is an undeniable connection between the two of them. Was this a chance meeting or is there more to their story?

From page one I knew I was going to love Minnie Cooper (yes - her name is Min
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
This was actually the last book I read in 2020 but I am just now reviewing it and honestly picking it up today to page through as I sat to write my review made me excited to read it again someday! I think British romance books are the perfect sort for me. They tend to be more of what in the US we would call contemporary fiction, but with an HEA.

Yes, this centers around a love story, but so much of the book is really about each of the characters learning and growing on their own, before they can

• Shine on: The Remarkable Story of How I Fell Under a Speeding Train, Journeyed to the Afterlife, and the Astonishing Proof I Brought Back with Me
  • Hideaway
  • Miss Graham's Cold War Cookbook
  • The Stepdaughter
  • Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
  • The Man I Loved Before
  • The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard (Coco Pinchard, #1)
  • The Vanishing Half
  • Confessions on the 7:45
  • While You Slept
  • The Woman Before Wallis
  • The Bright Side Running Club
  • Buried (DC Jack Warr #1)
  • Sister Dear
See top shelves…
Sophie Cousens has worked in television for twelve years. She attributes surviving this long to always knowing where the Post-it notes are kept, and her ability to carry six coffee cups at once. This is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book