Start by marking “Between These Walls” as Want to Read:

Between These Walls

In the dying days of WW II on the American occupied side of Germany’s Elbe River, US Army Medical Corps Colonel Samuel Singer comes upon the strafed wreck of a smouldering SS Staff car, with a badly injured driver, nearby a dead German Army officer carrying the ID of a Nazi war criminal, and a young blonde woman, also dead in the back seat.

Forty-three years later, art cura
Published January 26th 2020 by FriesenPress

To ask other readers questions about Between These Walls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between These Walls

Start your review of Between These Walls
Jypsy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Iread Book Tours and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

By: Michael Newman

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
Between These Walls is a tapestry of historical fiction. Author Michael Newman integrates several seemingly unrelated threads that somehow do intersect to create a bigger picture. Daniel, the man at the center of it all, receives an odd package in the mail, written in German and doesn't think much of it initiall
Leila
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have found myself reading outside of my norm as of late. Genres that I would not typically read have been finding their ways into my ‘to be read’ pile.

Between These Walls was most certainly one of those ‘out of my norm’ reads, but I have to admit – I was intrigued from the very start.

I have to admit, I did get a little confused with the dates as several chapters would go back and forth between dates, and on occasion would confuse characters as the date changes also meant character and story ch
Jessicawcassidy
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Something different for me to read

I admit I am not a fan of reading books about war. It is not my cup of tea. Between The Walls pop my cherry, and I am so glad that I agreed to read this book.

I do not know about Hitler but heard his name, but I was not paying attention. I am so glad that this book gives me the ins and out of his devil ways and his colleagues.

Between These Walls is a beautiful story of survival, defeat, freedom and giving back. It is very emotional as well. I did not cry but almo
Angela Thompson
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Between these Walls Takes Readers on a Historical Journey. The author immediately introduces several seemingly unrelated events and characters--in a variety of times and places. The story moves from place to place and role to role--spanning time--and I did find it a little challenging to settle into the author's writing style for a while. Once I settled into the writing and began to watch the characters connect, and the story unfolds--the author was able to take me to other times and places.

Bet
Just another reader
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Daniel, a curator receives an intriguing parcel, which sets off a huge journey of discovery. As we plunge into historical events through the eyes of Daniel, we are thrown into war zone starting from WWI to WWII and three other wars in the ride. Starting off with several threads and several stories, Newman beautifully weaves them all in.
This beautifully written historical fiction novel gives us a vivid glimpse of the lives and challenges during the war times. All concepts and ideologies of goodn
Carla
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love historical novels, they take us on a special journey to the past where we get a glimpse of what could have been happening and the people of this time. Between These Walls follows several seemingly unconnected characters from the the end of World War I through to World War II and three wars in the Middle East. It is intense and leaves you on the edge of your seat, never quite knowing what to expect next.

The centre of this story is Daniel – a young man raised in the Jewish faith who very ea
Evan
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure, Michael is my father. He has a unique personal story that is interwoven within this novel. Between These Walls could read as a non-fiction account of many key points in history dating from 1930’s Germany till the 1988 Lockerbee bombing. However, my father takes these poignant events and uses them to tell a compelling story of family, love, and identity. The story looks at the actions of a few, how they’re interconnected through time and the impact that some choices have on both ...more
Amy
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Michael Newman’s debut, Between These Walls, is a pretty good read. Readers are introduced to Daniel Singer, the adopted son of a World War II US Army Medical Corps Colonel, Samuel Singer. He receives a mysterious envelope from Germany, forty three years after the World War II. This package takes him on a journey around the world. He discovers more than he would have ever imagined.

I really liked Between These Walls. I do have to admit that it jumped around a little bit that had me confused at f
Misty
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Between These Walls by Michael Newman was a thrilling read! I loved Daniel Singer, I especially liked that he was adopted as it is rare that main characters are. The story itself was great and it stayed true to history with how the author kept the historical facts as accurate as possible in the story. I really enjoyed his writing style with how he brought the pieces together in such a way that I was able to guess at what they meant, but still be surprised by how everything turned out.

Robin
May 10, 2020 added it
An excellent read. Many threads, yet the book ensures it starts by getting one involved early, then moves like a freight train to an amazing finish. Surrounded by real events, the credible characters mingle with historical figures, places and events to weave an intense narrative.
BookTrib.com
Author Michael Newman has lived many lives, from being the only child of Holocaust survivors, to 12-year-old Hungarian refugee, to self-made real estate magnate in Ontario, Canada. His father’s wartime experiences, including surviving the Mauthausen Nazi death camp, inspired Newman to pen his first novel, BETWEEN THESE WALLS.

Read our full review here:
Phil Feldman
The book is a reminder of what was possibly the true story of many families. It is well researched and describes many true events. I was kept guessing at how the story would unfold, and was truly surprised at the conclusion. A sequel would be in order to learn how the family involved continued with their life.
John Mills
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional novel for a first time writer. Sound research and excellent descriptions of what people endured during the Nazi regime and constantly moving.
Mark Pujolas
javadiva
Oct 08, 2020
Peggy
Oct 28, 2020

• a delicate dance of souls
  • A Goddess Among Men
  • A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
  • Killer Deadline (Nikki Bryant)
  • The Nightjar's Promise (The F.I.G. Mysteries #4)
  • Yummy Me Feels So Good
  • Bound: A Daughter, a Domme, and an End-of-Life Story
  • Above the Star (The 8th Island Trilogy #1)
  • Five Before Rome (Prequel to Roma Series Books 1-5)
  • Bury Him: A Memoir of the Viet Nam War
  • Perils and Pearls: In World War II, a Family's Story of Survival and Freedom from Japanese Jungle Prison Camps
  • American Dreamer: How I Escaped Communist Vietnam and Built a Successful Life in America
  • In the Nick of Time
  • The Mother: A Novel
  • Braidy von Althuis: And the Final Fight
  • Below the Moon (The 8th Island Trilogy #2)
  • The Takeaway Men