Start by marking “Roxy's Recovery” as Want to Read:
Roxy's Recovery

Roxy's Recovery

As the newest veterinarian in the small town of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Vaughn Winters doesn't have time for relationships. He is too busy healing injuries and establishing his reputation as a trustworthy vet. But when a strange man waves him down on a stormy night seeking help for his injured dog, Vaughn simply can't refuse.

Obviously homeless and with no means to pay for R
Published November 21st 2019

To ask other readers questions about Roxy's Recovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roxy's Recovery

Start your review of Roxy's Recovery
☆ Todd
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

I liked this book, but it wasn't true, undying love and devotion for me.

Alex and his pug, Roxy, had been homeless and on the road for months, when Roxy's leg was broken by a hit and run driver in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

Luckily for them, local veterinarian Vaughn was the person that they flagged down for help, leading him to patch up Roxy and give Alex some much-needed shelter and purpose.

Both of the MC's were very likeable, so the slow-burn romance puttered along as most slow-burns tend to do,
~Mindy Lynn~
3 Stars!

This is considered a short read for me and I usually pass on them. But I am a sucker for a dog story since I got my pooch, Sassy. Yes, my little gal's name is Sassy. Trust me, it fits her.

The reason I struggle so badly with short reads is that there is always so much pushed into the story making it feel rushed. I had the opposite struggle with this story. There wasn't enough going on to fill the amount of pages it was. It moved a bit slow with not a lot of development. The book could ha
Cadiva
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book frustrated me at times because nothing seemed to be happening for ages. I felt like I'd been reading it for days but I was only at 40%.

There was also one particular incident where I felt the reaction of one of the Mcs was completely out of proportion to the situation but, it fit within the narrative so it wasn't wholly out of character.

Having said both of the above comments, they were my only real niggles about what is, in the main, a sweet festive romance which is filled with interest
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

Sweet story, but not particularly impressive, unfortunately.

I think this is one of those stories that could have really benefited from a duel POV. Just being in Vaughn's head made the story feel very one-sided. I never felt like I really understood Alex's side of things and his motivations.

The secondary characters didn't add much to the story, and I didn't like Vaughn's judgy sister. Lots of meh here. The plot was cute and puppies!, but a few sweet dogs and a small-town romance does
Jennifer☠Pher☠
2★'s = it was ok.

Alright, I have put this off long enough. I finished this book a long time ago and tomorrow is the release so no more procrastinating.

Ugh.

I didn’t like this book very much.

This had all the components of a super sweet, meet and fall in love, second chance romance, but it really wasn’t.

I liked the idea of the story but I didn’t really like any of the characters. None of them. The MCs read like spoiled children and not grown 30 somethings. I think Vaughn was 35. He is a veterinari
Joyfully Jay
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

Kim Breyon is a new-to-me author and, I’ll admit, I went into this with a wary eye. But I quickly fell into the story, the slow build of the romance, and the deftly executed narrative. It wasn’t perfect, and there were a few small things that bugged me, but overall this is a solid book.

Vaughn is a kind hearted, hard working man. He has a sister who loves him to pieces, even if she’s trying to set him up with a woman she knows, and a mother who accepts him for who
Kirstin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed the slow, leisurely pace of this story. It was a really even tempo'd read.

When Vaughn rescues a homeless man and his hurt dog from the side of the road, he's overly friendly and offers him a place to stay and a job in return for helping take care of his dog.

Alex has been on the run for months, with Roxy, his dog, the only thing he cares about. But, this stranger is offering to give him a place to stay, food to eat, care for his dog, and work to pay it off. After a while
Jess Gabriel
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-or-arc
I have a feeling I'm going to be in the minority in this one. I thought it was just okay. I felt like some of the character development was lacking, and I felt like I was told instead of shown. I loved Roxy and Noel, though! I have a feeling that Alex's POV might have helped me to help me to feel more connected.

*Received in exchange for an honest review
Mrs.V
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was such an incredible emotional rollercoaster, with moments of pure joy and tenderness and other when I was tearing up so much that I felt a huge lump in my throat and was fighting really heart not to openly sob (I was reading with my son next to me, and he teases me mercilessly when I cry for a book…). I don’t know what it is about Kim Breyon’s writing, but she has a way of getting to the reader; I just could feel all of Vaughn’s emotions while he was living them. The only complaint ...more
Erika
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author and publisher via A Novel Take for a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story dealt with some heavy issues, but wasn't overly angsty nor swept them up too easily. I loved Vaughn and his big heart for helping animals and their people and his general need be a caretaker. Roxy was a doll with her own personality - I love pugs.

Alex's homelessness and past were dealt with very realistically. My heart went out for him when we learned his backstory and he wan
Jennifer Reilley
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been such a fan of Kim’s books since reading Back to You. Her books suck me in with their story and likable characters and this one followed suit

The story is about Vaughn, a veterinarian, who falls in love too fast just to get burned. He has the biggest heart out there. He meets Alex on a dark rainy night, heheh not that kind of book, when Alex is in some desperate need of help. Alex is quiet, mysterious, and so badly hurting.

They were perfect for each other even with some communication h
Charlotte
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
First of all! If you've got a soft heart like me when it comes to animals...then you need to know that a beloved pet dies in this story. Now, it's not the pet in the title, but it's a moving scene none-the-less...and I know that some folks can't read things like that. It's written respectfully and ... the main character is a vet so it's not unexpected.

Now, on to the review! I really enjoyed this story. Vaughn is out one night when he comes across a man and his injured dog. Vaughn knows he can he
Xanthe
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful new winter romance from Kim Breyon.
Right off the bat I fell in love with Alex purely from his love for his injured dog and what he's willing to do for her. He's had a really hard time for the past few years but more so the last several months where he's been homeless. Fate brings Vaughn, a vet to him as he waves down the next car that drives past after Roxy, the pug, is hit by a car. It's pouring rain and Alex is intense in his need for help but that doesn't stop Vaughn noticing the
P Leslie
Shelves: arc-review, m-m
*I voluntarily read this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no elses*

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and it definitely won’t be my last.

This book made me laugh, smile and even cry.

Vaughn and Alex’s story was sweet despite their ups and downs.

Alex was broken, maybe not physically but without a doubt, emotionally. The author slowly yet gradually revealed things about Alex’s past and it was done flawlessly, without being dragged out. Alex shut away the world and foc
Marina
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The beginning of this book made me so, so sad. My heart hurts for Alex. But I LOVED this book so much. One of the sweetest stories I've ever read.

This is a story about Alex and Vaughn.

Alex is homeless, jobless and very lonely. After he finally leaves his abusive boyfriend, he doesn't have a place to go so he ends up on the streets with his dog named Roxy. Roxy gets hit by a car and at that moment, Vaughn finds them. I loved Alex so much, he's so sweet and kind, even after everything that's happe
Denise - Shh Mom's Reading®
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roxy’s Recovery by Kim Breyon…. WOW… just WOW!

This book grabbed my heart from almost the opening words and by I think chapter 2 I was in tears (and I don’t cry often when reading).

The story of Vaughn and Alex was beautifully done. Alex’s pain and hurt was tangible but more importantly so well done as him being slow to open and share perfectly suited the character crafted.

The use of Vaughn’s sister added to the story but it wasn’t drama for drama, the author pulled it off as genuine care and love
Edga
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite this book featuring abuse, bullying, and metal illness, it actually came across as a sweet read.

Vaughn was a knight in shining armour, what he did for Alex was wonderful. At first I wondered why Alex was so standoffish after Vaughn's good deed, but once I got to know him better, I understood his reasoning.

Both men are well matched. Alex has been hurt very badly and has gone through so much, Vaughn was just what he needed. I enjoyed the way Vaughn never pressurised Alex, and encouraged
Cee Brown
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
•*´¨)✯ ¸.•*¨)
✮ (¸.•´Loved Roxy's journey!

It started with a rescue and ended with love. I truly enjoyed these men's story and the difficulty it took to get to ever after. Vet Vaughn was one to wear his heart on his sleeve. Alex, homeless and hurting, needed a tender heart. Saving man and dog opened Vaughn to what could be and showed Alex that he could actually have it all.

With slow romance, sweet heat and animals, this book took on a life of its own and kept me interested. Though some angst made
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Sexy men and adorable dogs are pretty much everything I need in a romance novel. This is the story of a sexy vet who picks up a homeless hitchhiker with a wounded dog. Patching up Roxy’s leg turns out to be the easy part - her owner’s scars cut much deeper. This is a sweet and gentle read about the relationship that slowly builds between Vaughn and Alex while Roxy recovers.

I love dogs in romance writing and Noel and Roxy are won
Vicki
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I found it very enjoyable.
It was well written and moved along at a good pace. It was easy to connect with the story and the two likeable main characters. There was a dash of angst and there were a couple of emotional spots that brought a tear to my eye.

Vaughn is the town veterinarian and Alex is a homeless man passing through the small town in Idaho, until circumstances means he needs to stay for awhile.
Alex has tattoos, is kind, hardworking
Audrey Pott
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first story from Kim I will be reading more of her novels. A masterful combination of raw emotion, abuse, bullying and mental health, descriptively written, had substance, loveable characters including pets and a slow burn romance. At times there was a lack of communication between Vaughn and Alex, which was frustrating. I loved the intimate scenes very hot.

I voluntarily reviewed an arc of this book for my honest opinions of which I’m under no obligation to do so. I honestly recommend this bo
Diane
This is the first book I've read by Kim Breyon and I'm so glad I discovered her!

The plot is tight, the characters admirable but flawed (aren't we all!), and the animals precious. When one vet steps in to help an injured animal, he had no idea he'd be helping the owner, and himself. But love has a wonderful way of weaving its self into our lives and making each day more precious. Snow helps too!

Of course we have to learn to trust. To communicate. To ask questions and not just assume. And to step
Amanda
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vaughn has a huge heart. When he sees a man that needs help with is dog on the side of the road and in the rain, he knows he has to stop and help.

Alex is quiet, mysterious, and closed off. Vaughn tries to get him out of his shell and slowly Alex starts letting his walls down. But when he starts standing on his own, he begins to question if he should be with Vaughn or learn to live on his own for awhile.

This is a low angst read with two fun dogs as supporting characters. One man falls too hard,
Patricia Nelson
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet, delightful, charming, lovely, slow burning, poignant, grab-you-by-the-feels engaging, and totally awesome story. Vaughn and Alex were perfect for each other, and Roxy the pug was absolutely adorable!!
Alex
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
A really sweet story 😊
Kristina
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was my first time picking up a Kim Breyon book and while I wasn't a fan of some of the romance bits, I really enjoyed the characters and the animals. Readers should note that there are some heavy topics surrounding the story that could be a bit difficult for some.

Vaughn was a really sweet guy who took a chance on someone who needed help... the fact that this wasn’t for Alex, but his injured dog, helps in the decision

Alex is a man with a past he's running from, and willing to do whatever ne
Lindsay Hardin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love reading books that feature pets in the supporting cast. The love of pets is unconditional and can be the difference in keeping hope and falling into despair. We see this especially with Alex. This was a sweet and low angst book with two special pets as supporting characters. Anyone looking for a book where dogs play a strong role, look no further. And for the record, I loved the epilogue! Thanks Kim Breyon!
Javi reads and reads and reads
Cute read, fast paced and adorable dogs.

While the story was nice and I could get behind Alex’s problems, I found that the development of it all was a little bit rushed and left me feeling very confused.

I didn’t care much for the romance, but I did care for the well-being of the characters AND THE DOGS.

The story goes like this: Vaughn is a vet who works too much and who finds a man on the streets after his dog was hit by a vehicle. Obviously he helps and finds out that Alex (the guy on the street
Valerie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Roxy’s Recovery is the written equivalent of a Hallmark movie. It's a sweet, feel good story - check. Two likable main characters - check. Cute pets - check. Not much chemistry - check. Overall, it's enjoyable. Just take out the sex and it's all set to be a made-for-tv movie. Kim Breyon is a new to me screenwriter author. I’m glad I tried her latest offering as I’m now a fan. At 120 pages, this book doesn’t require a sizable time commitment, and it’s well worth that investment.

The basic premise
Megan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it

Two men who need the other, but insecurities, a lack of communication, and a little too much passivity threatened to end the best thing either of them could hope to have. Wonderfully sweet moments with animals, a fair bit of steam, and one emotionally charged outburst gave a sedately affectionate and quietly passionate feel to the story.

The romantic progression was very slow, bordering on nonexistent for quite a lot of the story and I can absolutely respect the need to take things s
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mr. Right Now
  • Socks for an Otter
  • The Christmas Deal
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • Play with Me (WITSEC, #2)
  • Protecting His Pack (North American Wolves, #1)
  • Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • Vixen's Valor (North Pole City Tales #3)
  • Extra Time (Off the Pitch, #2)
  • First Priority (Priorities, #1)
  • The Dichotomy of Angels
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • Arctic Heat (Frozen Hearts, #3)
I am an Idaho native who grew up dreaming about traveling the world and writing stories. As a child, I would often spend my spare time curled up with my favorite blanket and a notebook, writing another fairy tale. I never would have guessed those fairy tales would one day grow into gay romances, but that is where my heart led me and I am so glad it did. I write about love because I believe it can ...more