Start by marking “Reflex (Off the Record #1)” as Want to Read:
Reflex (Off the Record #1)

Reflex

(Off the Record #1)

A celibate rock star! Can it really be so?

Rock guitarist Spook Mortensen wants nothing to do with sex, love, or intimacy. Trapped in a hell of heartbreak and self-loathing, he’s determined to remain celibate forever—even when it comes to the unique temptations of sound engineer, Allegra Hutton. Better that than being a monster.

Alle can’t forget the mad chemistry that roare
Published December 10th 2019 by Incantatrix Press

To ask other readers questions about Reflex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reflex

Start your review of Reflex (Off the Record #1)
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
I enjoyed this, a lot. I can’t quite love it though, and let me explain why.

This is, from what I can gather, part of a much longer, larger collection of books about this group of people, this band. I have NOT read any of those. In that collection, Spook and Alle come together, a couple of times, at some point. I *think* maybe it would have helped ME (at least) to have read that book. I missed their first encounter! And I really NEEDED it, you know?

Spook is celibate, but has encountered Alle twic
Coralee Corrigan
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it . Amazing read
Janee
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Finally Spook is unearthed. He is always been elusive. His story was one that been waiting to read. I feel he is going to be like pulling teeth for him to speak. It will be will worth it.
Jill
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read in this series and because of that I have missed out on some of the background information on Spook and Ally. This story revolves around Spook’s continued celibacy and the one woman, Ally who just might be able to reach him. There is a lot going on in this story and it appears to be continued into the next story at least. The story is well written and entertaining in how Ally is slowly breaking down Spook’s barriers. I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.
Ingrid Vermeulen-Quakernaat
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story about a rock band, who hasn't read 1 before. And there is always something that makes the band member inaccessible. But as Spook is described in this story. Wow! He has been doing celibacy for almost 10 years for a reason. You wonder what happened in his young adolescent years. Here and there you get pieces when he is very stressed and hears the voices in his head. Allegra (Alle) just can't put him out of her mind. In the past year she has seen him twice and an erotic moment followed bet ...more
Heather in FL
*** This book was provided as an ARC by the author in return for a review. Opinions are entirely my own. **

Spook has been that elusive member of the band. Quiet, celibate, but integral. In this first book of Spook's trilogy, he's fighting his attraction to Allegra HARD. He's certain he's a monster and he doesn't want to ruin her. But she's persistent, and she ensures Spook understands that she's into what he wants to do to her (he's a sadist). Little by little she gets under his skin, and little
Doris
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Celibacy For a Rock Star?!

I am a fan of the Black Halo series so when I seen this was going to be Spook's story I couldn't wait to read it. Spook was determined to live a life of celibacy because of his past. It was only when Allegra came into his life that he felt his walls begin to come down. She had worked with the band on their last album and stayed in touch with Spook while he was out on tour. They had gotten close and Allegra wanted to take their relationship to a physical level but Spook
Karen Galloway
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Fantastic, Engaging, Must Read Book
I voluntarily reviewed an arc of this book. I liked this really enjoyable, entertaining book by Madelynne Ellis. “Reflex” has a great, interesting, well written storyline that kept me engrossed from beginning to end. I really liked and enjoyed reading about the lovely, engaging characters, their super chemistry and interaction really kept me interested in this book. I loved their story. This is another fantastic book from Madelynne and I can’t wait to read t
Giofab21
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Madelynne has a unique ability to write tortured and broken men who need someone who won't give up on them. I guess we're all trying to find that. Spook and Allegra's story is unique, hot and so deep in denial and intrigue that you spend half the time wondering why and the rest asking why not? A great addition to this intense series.
Jeanne Richardson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 1st book I've read written by Madelynne Ellis; she has done a great job at writing a good book; I can’t wait to read more of her books.

I loved the chemistry between the characters.

Julie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Calling all Black Halo Fans this is a book you don't want to miss! I have waited so long for Spook's story and this book didn't disappoint me! Allegra has really liked Spook since she first met him. Spook has been intrigued by her and the feelings she invokes in him.

I can't wait to read the next book to find out the rest of his story. I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.
Liz
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rock
I love the Black Halo series and have become bewitched by the characters, I was very keen to get my hands on Spook's story. The story was addictive immediately, Spook has been a mystery but each little clue to his personality reveals so much more. I can't wait to find out what happens next.
Lisa H
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spook is not your usual rocker.

Nope. He’s celibate. He refrains from getting intimate with anyone.
Until Allegra upends his comfort zone.
Steamy.

Sam
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally we have more Spook. Ever since reading the Rock Hard Series. I have been waiting and he is here. I just flove Alle spunk and determination. And this story just draws you in. I am left waiting in anticipation for more. Well done on a fantastic and engrossing story.
Pat
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The good character and storyline development kept me turning the pages until the very last page!
Brenda Kuhfeldt
Looooved it!
Karen
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After waiting what at times seemed like forever for this, I haven’t been disappointed. In fact, Spook Mortensen has so much to say for himself that Ms Ellis is writing THREE books to tell his story. Book one nearly finished me off, so I’m awaiting numbers two and three with barely concealed impatience.

Poor Spook is a mess, tormented as he is by a past we only get hints off, bit by bit, until we’re hanging off the edge of our seats and chewing our nails to the quick as he crumbles further with e
Joyce Black
Love
Mar 06, 2020
Kim
Mar 17, 2020

• Submitting to the Cattleman (Cowboy Doms Book 6)
  • What a Courtesan Wants
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • Nix (Daring the Kane Brothers, #4)
  • Burn Up (Steel Veins # 2)
  • Road to Desire (Dogs of Fire MC, #1)
  • The Lord of Lost Causes (Millcastle #1)
  • Driving into the Sun
  • A Kiss in Spring (Kiss the Wallflower, #3)
  • Defiled
  • Human Alpha Protector (Wolf Shifters of Wakerlin, #1)
  • Breakdown: The King Brothers Rockstar Romance
  • Dating My Friend's Daughter
  • Thade (Vaxxlian Alien Mail Order Brides #3; Intergalactic Dating Agency #80)
  • Play Me (Jaded Ivory, #5)
  • Play Fast (Brooklyn Dawn #2)
  • Ripples & Waves: A Queer Retelling of Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid
  • Honeymoon for One
Madelynne Ellis is a New York Times & USA Today bestselling author of erotic romance. She stared writing on a whim, after a friend suggested she give writing a "Black Lace" novel a go. The rest is history.

Madelynne writes focuses on a mixture of contemporary and Regency-set novels, and has been translated into a variety of languages.

She's a decaf drinker, has a healthy obsession with a certain Ja

Off the Record (4 books)
  • Off the Record: A Prelude
  • Replay (Off the Record #2)
  • Revive (Off the Record #3)

News & Interviews