Start by marking “Cross Shadow (Shepherd Suspense #2)” as Want to Read:
Cross Shadow (Shepherd Suspense #2)

Cross Shadow

(Shepherd Suspense #2)

All journalist Christine Lewis wants is the truth. All pastor John Cross wants is to avoid it.

Former CIA agent turned evangelical pastor John Cross is busy caring for the small community of believers he ministers to in Virginia. Journalist Christine Lewis is busy with the demand for her talents from top news agencies in New York City. Neither have any time left for their r
Kindle Edition
Published May 26th 2020 by Kregel Publications

To ask other readers questions about Cross Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cross Shadow

Start your review of Cross Shadow (Shepherd Suspense #2)
Mark
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cross Shadow is one of the books I have been most looking forward to in 2020. Huff's first book in this series - and his first book ever - released in November. This second book in the trilogy was released on my birthday, something I worked out with the author. (Just kidding!)

The Christian fiction market tends to be a women's market, so it is great to have male authors putting out quality suspense like this, and they are too few.

This second book in the Shepherd Suspense series was just as gre
Jes Drew
Despite the large amount of suspense novels in the Christian fiction category, this series brings a special something that sets it apart (probably the spy aspect. Everything is better with spies). It reads like a spy thriller, with all the action, banter, and subterfuge one must have- along with cool gadgets, lingo, and, of course, vehicle chases. But it brings something much more rare: a heart and soul (and a tad bit more realism).

I loved John Cross from book one, and was glad to see him agai
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
CROSS SHADOW is another fast-faced, action-packed book in this series. Readers who fell in love with these characters from the first book will continue to do so in book two while hoping they come out alive. Recommended to fans of the series, Christian suspense, and military fiction.

John and Christine don't seem to get much of a break from facing threats and trying to serve their country in this second book. They're also trying to figure out their relationship and how to make things work. I enjoy
June Jacobs
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently read the first book in this series, A Cross to Kill, and I enjoyed it immensely! I was looking forward to reading this installment in the Shepherd Suspense series, and I was in no way disappointed by this well-written follow-up to the author's debut.

Cross Shadow may be read as a standalone novel, but I highly recommend you read A Cross to Kill first simply because you will have the background knowledge needed to truly understand the main characters in this book and also because A Cros
Jill
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ever since I finished reading "A Cross to Kill" by Andrew Huff, I have looked forward to "Cross Shadow", the second book of the series. The hero and heroine of Huff's series are smart, focused and exciting. They are unlikely partners--a former CIA operative turned pastor and an up and coming reporter, but John Cross and Christine Lewis capture our hearts with their courage to confront evil wherever it leads them.

In "Cross Shadow", they are trying to find out who framed Christine's step-brother f
Vera Godley
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first scene in this second book of the Shepherd Suspense series, CROSS SHADOW, the action captures the reader's attention and doesn't let up until the very last of the book.

If you like contemporary fiction that is loaded with suspense, fast paced action, and an Adrenalin charged story, then you certainly won't want to miss this book. I encourage reading book one first, but it isn't a must do for reader's enjoyment.

John Cross is "retired" from the CIA and he is now a Baptist pastor
Suzie Waltner
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

In book two of the Shepherd Suspense series, author Andrew Huff does not experience a sophomore slump. In fact, as we follow John and Christine to Dallas, things heat up quickly.

A fight feet away from a minister’s conference, a complicated technological tangle, local law enforcement, and questions about a relationship that began fast and hard are just pieces of the engaging and intensive Cross Shadow.

High action (fight fights, car chases, and more), a suspenseful plot that will keep you
Cara Putman
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christine and John are back with more danger and adrenaline in Cross Shadow. I'm really enjoying this series, because I love international thrillers and intrigue. This one is another racefrom the opening incident in NYC to the closing pages in Dallas, Texas. At the core, this book has the hero and heroine wondering how to merge their pasts with their futures and what that means for them as a couple. Throw in lots of action and it's like reading a Mission Impossible book with Jason Bourne moments ...more
Hallie Szott
A thrilling sequel to A Cross to Kill, Cross Shadow proves to be just as addicting to read.

Life has not been a simple happily-ever-after for ex-CIA assassin turned small-town pastor John Cross and journalist Christine Lewis since the events of the previous book, sparking questions of the practicality of their relationship. Of course, to complicate matters, the pair quickly becomes pulled into another dangerous scenario, and their story takes off from there.

Once again, Andrew Huff composes his Sh
Abigail Harris
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Wow, I enjoyed the first book in the series, A Cross To Kill, and I expected to enjoy another suspense from the author, but, I did not expect it to be quite what it was … like the Mission Impossible movie. I loved getting to see the characters’ struggles and a bit into the characters’ pasts.

I loved seeing Christine and her side of the story … Without giving spoilers, I just loved how she grew since the first book. 😉

I voluntarily received and reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I rec
Maureen Timerman
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is the second book in this Christian fiction series, and you can read this one alone, there are references to what happened, but you will miss the action of how the two main characters meet.
This book starts with Christine Lewis on a subway in NY City, and this is where the action begins, and beware it doesn't let up. How these two individuals survive, but for the "Grace of God".
John Cross follows Christine to Texas, and yes, this is where the action escalates and you wonder how they are ab
Peter  Younghusband
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I jumped at the chance to review this second novel in this A Shepherd Suspense trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed the debut novel, A Cross to Kill and the Redemptive fiction elements that it contained. It is so good to be back in the world of John Cross and Christine Lewis.

If any reader of the first novel thought that the worst was over for John and Christine, they were wrong! This novel takes the journey of these two characters to the next level. True love never runs smoothly they say and John and C
Ian
I really enjoyed the first in the Shepherd Suspense series and was eagerly awaiting to read the second one. However, this one felt a little flat compared to the first in the series.

There is a Mission Impossible feel about the story and it's easy to turn the pages as the pace is always fast and exciting. The most fascinating aspect to the series is John Cross and his faith and his vocation. Can he be an effective pastor when his heart longs for the thrill and chaos of the CIA life? We see the gr
Amy Bradsher
Jun 15, 2020 rated it liked it
If you’re in the market for a super-masculine thrill-a-minute action story, look no further: Cross Shadow by Andrew Huff is the book for you!

Huff continues main character John Cross’ personal angst as he tries to protect girlfriend and journalist Christine Lewis from a sticky situation when investigating her stepbrother’s murder charge. You can feel Huff’s confusion as he tries to live up to what he thinks God’s plan for his life is while also trying to serve as the ultimate protectorate for tho
Carol R.
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Andrew Huff returns with another installment in his suspense series featuring a former CIA operative turned small-town pastor.

In Cross Shadow, Eight months have gone by since his encounter with a terrorist and confession to his congregation about his CIA past. Pastor John Cross finds his life has not settled down to normal. Christine is busy working in New York City while John ministers in Rural Grove, Virginia.

They work together to prove the innocence of Christine’s stepbrother, Philip, who wo
Renee Knoblauch
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to get started on book 2 in A Shepherd Suspense Novel! If you haven’t read the 1st book “A Cross to Kill” you will still be able to read this as a standalone book. There will be some content that you may not know but enough fill in information to give you insight into it.

The book follows Christina and John as they start looking into her step-brothers arrest for murder. It starts out with a lot of energy and suspense. As they start to look into the murder they find themselves into
Connie Saunders
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Warning! This book is filled with nail-biting action and pulse-altering situations. Proceed with caution!

This is the first book that I've read by Andrew Huff and Cross Shadow has made me a believer! It didn't take long for the action to begin as reporter Christine Lewis realizes that she is on a subway with a suicide bomber. There are many more thrills that involve Christine and John Cross, her 'ex-CIA agent turned minister' boyfriend, as John steps in to help her prove that her step-brother is
Joan
Jun 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked this suspense filled second book in the John Cross series. This one involved some high tech deception as two plot lines are intertwined. The initial plot involves Christine helping her stepbrother accused of murder. He supposedly killed a fellow worker, both employed by a high tech company. That introduces the second plot line. Something is very off at that company. John and Christine team up to deal with both concerns.

I like how Huff blends the potentially budding relationship between J
Tabitha Bouldin
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
With such detailed writing and high-action scenes, these books are hard to put down. I did start off with book one: A Cross to Kill before reading Cross Shadow. I do recommend you read them in order as the relationships will make more sense if you have the background information that’s provided. Plus, they’re both just great books and you’re gonna love them.

Andrew Huff writes amazing fight and car chase scenes. If Die Hard was a book series, I imagine it would be similar to the Shepherd Suspense
Jake Doberenz
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*I received this book free from the publisher*
Cross Shadow is a thriller that follows reporter Christine and her former-CIA-agent-turned-Pastor boyfriend John Cross. Okay, when I heard it was about a CIA agent who became a pastor and who stops major catastrophes, I rolled my eyes. It just kind of seems like a silly set-up. However, it surprisingly works.
Most of the book takes place in Dallas, Texas which is not exactly an exotic and exciting place, but they make it work. The author, Andrew Huff,
Jasmine
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stakes are higher than ever in Dallas...

Once again author Andrew Huff delivers a rip-roaring thriller that will leave you gasping and your pulse pounding. Both John Cross and Christine Lewis are back, and, yet again, they will have to try and trust each other as they dodge both bad guys and the law. Betrayal is just around the corner and flying bullets are only a breath away. But, this is pretty much everyday stuff for the small-town preacher and the big city reporter.

I've been looking forwa
Create With Joy
Fans of John Cross and Christine Lewis will be excited to learn that the adventures they began in A Cross To Kill are continuing in Cross Shadow, the second book in the Shepherd Suspense Novel Series!

In this book, the strains of a long-distance relationship and competing job interests have left them on somewhat shaky ground:

All journalist Christine Lewis wants is the truth.
All Pastor John Cross wants is to avoid it.

But as in all good relationships, Christine and John are there for one another wh
Patti Whitson Stephenson She Lives to Read

As I was reading this book, all the action and suspense kept the “Mission Impossible” theme running though my mind. I really like the character of John Cross. He’s a pastor who also is a former CIA agent. He’s pulled back into action as he tries to help journalist Christine Lewis clear her step-brother of the charge of murder. The deeper they get into the investigation, the more they realize this investigation is becoming a national security issue. There’s lot and lots of action in this book tha
Deana Dick
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hope you are ready for an adrenaline rush. This story is pure action packed from beginning to end. I’m glad to be back with John and see him in action. How would he know that a trip to see Christine would place him in the wrong place at the wrong time? The author does a great job of bringing the two back together in another adventure filled with danger and faith. I love John’s character because he is a pastor first then a CIA agent. Okay maybe he is retired from the CIA but it is hard to tell ...more
Billy
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've been reading a lot of horror and science fiction this year, so it's been nice to change things up a bit with my recent read - Cross Shadow by Andrew Huff. It's the second book in the Shepherd Suspense series, which kicked off last year with A Cross to Kill.

While I liked the first novel, I had a lot of issues with the story, and I believe I gave it a 3-star rating. Despite some nitpicking, I wanted to read the sequel from Kregel Publications.

For a Christian thriller, this novel has a lot of
Janelle Cole
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Andrew Huff has created a character : John Cross – think Jason Bourne and 007 meets Christian Pastor. We met John Cross in A Cross to Kill which you can read about HERE.

This is the second book in the Shepherd Suspense series.

Book 2 is a bit more about John and Christine (the woman he rescues in the first book), as they find themselves in a mess of trouble, again! John has to face some difficult decisions with regards to his church and his budding relationship with Christine.

I really enjoyed this
Connie Altomare
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The suspense and drama continue in Andrew Huff's newest novel, "Cross Shadow." Reporter Christine Lewis is asked to check into the arrest of her stepbrother in Texas for murder but to her surprise and indignation John Cross has followed her to Dallas. What follows is a cat and mouse game to find out why Christine's stepbrother is being framed for murder while being shot at and chased. Not only does this story explore more of the relationship between Christine and John; it explores John's life as ...more
Veronica
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an action-packed story! There were some awesome fight sequences and some amazing car chases! There's a little bit of trouble in paradise as John and Christine seemed to have a hard time trusting each other. John's so used to lying back in his CIA days and it's a hard habit to break, no matter how hard he tried. And if you don't have trust... They also both wondered about where their lives were going. They wanted to do God's will. They both prayed throughout the story. It was interesting wat ...more
ArynTheLibraryan
Andrew Huff did it again. Cross Shadow is equal to A Cross to Kill. I didn’t know if he could reach that same level a second time, but he did. The action sequences and complex intrigue of the plot keep you glued to the page.

The character development continues on solid ground. John and Christine are in an awkward phase of their relationship. They trust each other, and know they can count on each other. But they frustrate each other too. No longer the ‘crisis romance’ of the first book, more the ‘
Becky Miller
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Andrew Huff’s, “Cross Shadow” is a disappointing sequel to the original, “A Cross to Kill.”  Protagonist John Cross and Christine Lewis seem watered-down versions of their former selves.

The premise of the story centers around the murder arrest of Christine’s step-brother. However, readers can easily get lost in the complicated narrative, completely forgetting the plot is actually tied to finding the truth surrounding the circumstances of his arrest.

As in the first novel, the action scenes can

• Persian Betrayal (Empires of Armageddon #2)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Stories That Bind Us
  • Don't Keep Silent (Uncommon Justice, #3)
  • Love and a Little White Lie (State of Grace #1)
  • The Edge of Belonging
  • The Key to Everything
  • A Mosaic of Wings
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • Minutes to Die (Homeland Heroes, #2)
  • Nine
  • To Love a Prince (True Blue Royal, #1)
  • An Appalachian Summer
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • The Heart of a Hero (Global Search and Rescue, #2)
  • Start With Me
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
I spent 10 years in local church ministry before pursuing God's calling into creative storytelling and media production as the Product Director at Igniter Media, a church media company (ignitermedia.com). I am a two-time finalist in the American Christian Fiction Writers Genesis Contest for unpublished authors (2014 & 2017) and also won the Best Screenplay award at the 2015 48 Hour Film Festival i ...more

Shepherd Suspense (2 books)
  • A Cross to Kill (Shepherd Suspense #1)

News & Interviews