Start by marking “Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Leviathan Rising” as Want to Read:
Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Leviathan Rising

Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Leviathan Rising

(Action Comics (2016) (Collected Editions) #7)

The adventures of the Man of Steel continue in North America's longest-running comic book series, headlined by fan-favorite writer Brian Michael Bendis. Clark Kent dives deeper into his role as an investigative reporter, but will he uncover something so big and so dangerous that not even Superman will survive to break the story?

The terror organization Leviathan has transfo
Published May 12th 2020 by DC Comics (first published November 12th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Start your review of Superman: Action Comics Volume 2: Leviathan Rising
Chad
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Leviathan is destroying all the secret agencies in the world. There's a lot hinted at but nothing is revealed. It left me frustrated. Each issue in this arc feels like it's just the same story repeated again and again. The storytelling is kind of obtuse. This volume is something of a letdown after how much I liked the first one. Steve Epting's art is its usual gorgeous self.
Artemy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bendis somehow keeps upping his game, and while everything he’s done at DC so far has been pretty amazing, his run on Action is the best book he’s writing right now for my money. The second volume of Action builds up towards Event Leviathan coming this summer, and I couldn’t be more pumped for it if I tried. I mean, the dude brought Matt Fraction back to superhero comics! And yes, that Jimmy Olsen book is going to be wild and awesome, judging by the short story in Leviathan Special. And that Loi ...more
James DeSantis
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel I'm in my own world, because both Superman and Action comics continue to be a treat for me as a Supes fan.

We drift away from the mystery red cloud villain to the uprising of Leviathan. As pointed out in the volume, this is the Talia Leviathan. This was actually the original organization made to combat other organization. However, someone who is extremely powerful is outwitting pretty much every big superhero, including the more undercover agents like Amanda Waller. Will Superma
Rory Wilding
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read his Man of Steel miniseries and the first volumes of both his Superman runs, Brian Michael Bendis has proven himself triumphant with Action Comics. As the better title, it’s doing what Bendis did in his best work back at Marvel, which is blending intimate character drama and a street-based investigative thriller that cleverly balances the dual personas of Clark Kent/Superman. Now that Clark is reunited with his beloved wife, this is the closest thing Bendis gets to doing a Lois & Cla ...more
Nate
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Bendis is doing with Superman totally works for me. Leviathan rising has a freshness born out of the author's deep understanding of continuiity and history that adds layer upon layer to these issues. What sets it apart for me is that Bendis pays as much or more attention to Louis Lane and Jimmy Olson as he does to the big guy and that grounds this story while also giving us a grounds eye view of the god like.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Ever since the acquisition of creator Brian Michael Bendis at DC Comics, he has been covering more grounds than anyone else has in the past with his myriad of ideas that see the day today, whether it is under his mantle or handled by other exciting creative teams. Besides his Wonder Comics line-up, one of his most important ongoing projects lies within his dominion of the Man of Steel titles: Superman and Action Comics. Developing original new l
Christian Zamora-Dahmen
Bendis keeps giving the same note over and over again: he establishes something but just won’t deliver! A whole arc just finished here and it barely works as a prelude of things to come. The pace is deadly slow and it looks like it will simply not reach any revealing point... just like this whole arc where we found out simply nothing.
I hope Bendis doesn’t play this same pace on the upcoming Legion book. I just couldn’t bare it.
Anthony
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good build up to the Bendis event that's coming this summer. Also cool seeing Superman do some undercover spy stuff. And the Epting art is nice.
Rod Brown
A group/person named Leviathan is intent on destroying the many intelligence agencies of the DCU (D.E.O, Spryal, Checkmate). I've haven't much cared for those agencies -- aside from the excellent Chase title from twenty years ago -- so here's hoping Bendis cleans them up and does something interesting with them. This volume is a decent start despite all the running around in circles, and I'm eager to dig into Event Leviathan next. ...more
Kat
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic plot: Spy agencies across the world are being destroyed and people are going missing, and a mysterious something called Laviathan seems to be behind it.

Conspiracies and mysteries. Waller and the Question. Secrets. This is a fantastic arc. Art is good and it was a page turner as far as plot. The characters were all doing what they do best, so the writing is on point.

I have 2 mild complaints. 1- the last arc left off at a place that needed finishing and this arc took off in a completely diff
Shannon Appelcline
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
Action Comics continues to be Bendis' better Superman book (and one of his stronger books to date). This one is a rip-roaring tale of an international menace, and Bendis has a lot of fun putting it into conflict with DC's many secret and not-so-secret organizations, creating an exciting story with strong continuity. The only problem is that there's a bit of an anticlimax, as the last issue starts crossing over with other titles (and leaving us confused about what's going on) before it non-ends.
Chris Lemmerman
When super-spy organisations around the world begin to fall one by one, Lois and Clark find themselves on the back foot - with Amanda Waller at their door, Lois' father in critical condition, and a new Leviathan on the rise, this doesn't look like a job for Superman, but he's going to do it anyway!

I don't understand how Bendis' Superman title can be so bad, and this can be so good. They're entirely different stories, focused on entirely different things, but they're written by the same guy, abou
Tiago
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
Who did it? Why do they did it? I'm note sure I care about the answer.
Adam Graham
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Invisible Mafia from the previous collection gets sidelined for most of this book as Superman and Lois get on the trail of Leviathan. The conspiracy stuff gets interesting particularly when spooks like Amanda Waller and Director Bones end up wandering what the heck is going on. The story in the main issues of Action Comics has got great scope and is quite a treat to read.

That brings us to the Leviathan Special which is...not horrible but does really accentuate Bendis' greatest indulgences a
Sans
Maybe it's because I took a five month break from this. Or maybe it really is that weird and confusing. Whatever the case is, I'm not enjoying this insanity anymore. This Leviathan event better pay out or someone needs to step on Bendis' ego and restrict how much he gets to write.

Also, why does he think Lois not knowing how to spell words is constantly funny? It was cute the first couple of times, but now it's just annoying and highlights his reliance on gimmicks.
Lukas Holmes
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting.
James
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-marvel, comicbooks
You can't fight what you don't know exists.
Daniel Butcher
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics
Really solid pre-event lead up that had me excited and drawn into the action.
Ramon
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did. It kinda irks me when the pre-event book to a 6-issue event is 5 issues but here the conspiracy stuff just worked. It was exciting and it was tense but there was still time for some sweetness and humor (Chaz). I love how fast and chaotic things feel, and again, Bendis just seems re-invigorated with his move to DC and seems to have a great handle on these characters. Besides which, Epting's art is just *chef kissyfingers*. Very dramatic compositions, ...more
John Yelverton
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story had all the panache of a silver age Superman story, and the build up to an event that looks absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to see what comes next as this book was amazingly good.
Darcy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I experienced a bit of a let down with this collection of issues. As a mystery it was a little sub par as it just keeps digging deeper and deeper chapter after chapter without much in the way of progress in resolving it. Accusations are made and events occur that did not really make much sense. Additionally, for a bunch of stories featuring Superman, with one brief exception that really does not add to the plot, there is not much "Super" going on. Now, before I get on my high horse about this, i ...more
Scott Lee
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this was a strong story arc--pretty darned strong actually, I really enjoyed it--I was frustrated with the near abandonment of the previous volumes focus on organized crime in Metropolis, the Invisible Mafia. That was really original and cool and I was really enjoying it and then it was pushed to the back burner in support of an out-of-nowhere event.

Now this Leviathan story has some real potential itself, although it seems designed to take Talia Al'Ghul's organization and turn it into ano
Alek Hill
Alright so the big thing to know about this volume is that none of the invisible mafia stuff from the previous volume is in any way related. It took me a while to realize that the Leviathan story was just starting and that the invisible mafia stuff would be taking a back seat. I kinda didn't like that it didn't ease the reader in by saying something like Leviathan was what Lois was investigating when she came back to Earth and that's why she was laying low.

But no, instead everything starts with
Richard
In the beginning of both runs, Action Comics started with more promise than the Superman series but with these second volumes, the quality has switched. One of the biggest problems with this volume is the lack of engaging plotting. You can tell Bendis has a deep love for the character and lore and that’s really starting to shine in the Superman series but he can't seem to nail down a decent story with all the Leviathan stuff.

He has the makings of some potentially-epic cloak-and-dagger storytell
Dakota Morgan
After the down-to-earth adventures of the previous volume, I was pretty disappointed to find a whole lot of cosmic world-shattering nonsense in Leviathan Rising. Who or what is Leviathan? Should I know? No one in the book seemed to know. I'd say 80% of the dialogue was just various characters pointing fingers at each: "ur leviathan," "no UR leviathan!!"

I really liked the low-key Superman of the previous volume, a guy just working on his relationship with Lois and trying to help troubled criminal
Matt
Collects Action Comics issues #1007-1011 and stories from Superman: Leviathan Rising Special issue #1

This story sets up the "Event Leviathan" story well, however it has me wishing that the story took place in the pages of this series instead of being an event comic book.

I can't explain why I feel this way, but it already feels like the Superman universe is spinning out of control when it comes to Bendis' take on the character. I love Bendis as a writer, and I'm not saying that he doesn't have a
Adam Fisher
3.5 Stars.
Talk about a huge build up book... and it's still building! Taking out FBI, CIA, ARGUS, DEO, and basically any spy organization that the DC Universe, has been taken out by the mysterious agents of Leviathan. Not Talia Al Ghul's Leviathan, who was created to take down superheroes, but an organization that is taking them over from the inside. AND WE STILL DON'T KNOW WHO IT IS!?
I'm moving right into "Event Leviathan". Got to know how this pans out.
(NOTE: Please please please please don't
Sesana
Aug 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This is built on an excellent idea: a mysterious new threat clears the board of all those vague but menacing government agencies the DCU has in abundance. Unfortunately, this particular volume just sets up that premise, over and over, without really diving into it or providing any answers. This is just a preface to Event Leviathan, and I really hope that book delivers on the premise.
Ash
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t really understand how people aren’t enjoying Bendis’ run with Superman. His dialogue with these characters is second to none, particularly whenever Clark and Lois are with each other. Really excited to see where this goes. Epting’s art perfectly fits the tone of this volume as well.
Trevor Dailey
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
What makes this series interesting is that Bendis is putting Superman in a situation that he shouldn't be written in. Superman really shouldn't be doing spy work, which makes this great. More like a 4.25 for me.

• Batman, Volume 11: The Fall and the Fallen
  • Superman: Up in the Sky
  • Justice League, Volume 4: The Sixth Dimension
  • Batman, Volume 12: City of Bane Part 1
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: The Just War
  • Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 1: Mythology
  • Justice League Dark, Volume 2: Lords of Order
  • Batman/Superman Volume 1: Who are the Secret Six?
  • Batman, Vol. 13: City of Bane Part 2
  • The Flash: Year One
  • The Green Lantern, Vol. 1: Intergalactic Lawman
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer, Vol. 7: 2099

Action Comics (2016) (Collected Editions) (8 books)
  • Superman: Action Comics, Volume 1: Path of Doom