Start by marking “The Life Of Brian: Screenplay” as Want to Read:
The Life Of Brian: Screenplay

The Life Of Brian: Screenplay

When The Life of Brian was first released in 1979 it was hailed by most as Monty Python's finest parody and denounced by a few as the most blasphemous film of all time. But, with its unforgettable songs and its infinitely quotable script it has gone on to become an enduring cult classic.
Published April 1st 2001 by Methuen (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Life Of Brian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Of Brian

Manny

We saw Life of Brian last night at Ciné Transat, Geneva's free open-air movie theater. If anyone's wondering, the French for "Biggus Dickus" is "Enormus Vergus".
Paul Bryant
May 11, 2012 Paul Bryant marked it as assorted-rants-about-stuff
Shelves: godreads
I was standing around at work in the communal pile of dirty dishes and disease-ridden mouldering food called a kitchen and there was a copy of the Sun newspaper open on one table and a woman I knew was looking down the list of BRITAIN'S FAVOURITE MOVIES which The Sun had printed that day between giant photos of almost naked girls and denunciations of foreign clerics.

Life of Brian was No 3.

The woman pointed it out and said "That's hilarious, it's probably my favourite film of all time."

Plucking u
Ian Wood
Sep 22, 2007 Ian Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monty-python
The Life of Brian’s popularity as one of the best known and loved comedy films is often overshadowed by the controversy it sparked even before it went into production. EMI famously pulled out of the project after been pressurised by Mary Whitehouse’s moral majority organisation and the threat of been charged with breaching the blasphemy laws. The production was saved by George Harrison setting up Handmade Films to finance the venture and bring it to the screen.
The scrapbook was for many the only
Bethanie
Oct 11, 2012 Bethanie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Python fans
Shelves: favorites
I have the privilege of writing a paper on this fantastic script, and I can honestly say it's the first time I've been excited to write a paper. First of all, it's hilarious - my roommate thinks I'm a freak because I was chuckling to myself while I was reading it. But I've seen the debate, watched the documentary, read the Pythons' intent; and I love what the film stands for. I saw the film for the first time about a year ago, when I was struggling with some issues of personal faith: bad church ...more
Erisa Isak
Aug 15, 2016 Erisa Isak rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, timeless, satire
Blessed are they, who will read this holy comedic scripture, on the life of one Brian of Nazareth, son of Naughtius Maximus, and member of the Anti-Imperialist group, the 'People's Front of Judea’. Though, some say they’re a terrorist organization... It depends on who you talk to, really. Right. Well, anyway, they shall be satisfied Pythonists, as they read this Good Book, and they shall read it often, though not too often, just enough, but no less, as needed, to have a sensible chuckle, and rem ...more
Rauf
Nov 26, 2007 Rauf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, screenplay
The film is HILLARIOUS! This is of course the funniest Python film.

The stoning scene, the useless People's Front of Judea (don't confuse it with Judean People's front), Romani Ite Domum, the naked hermit, and the song, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, are just a few of the funny things you're going to see in Life of Brian.
Michael Palin had 3 great parts as Pontius Pilates, the most uncharismatic preacher and the awfully nice guard ("Crucifixion? Good.")

And contrary to popular belief, no,
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
"He is not the Messiah, he is a very naughty boy" - favorite line.
Roger
May 04, 2015 Roger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this mainly to re-read the Scrapbook half. Not up to the standard of the Papperbok and the Big Red Book, but still some classic Python moments. The LOB script itself is just as funny as it ever was. I can understand them dropping the kidnapping of Pilate's wife, but I wish they'd left the scene with Otto in the movie.
Deke
Feb 15, 2016 Deke rated it it was amazing
Reading the dialogue alone without the performances drives home the incredible artistry in this screenplay. In turns absurd and wily in its skewering of religious tropes and tales, there isn't a moment wasted, a scene out of place.
Realini
Monty Python's Life of Brian by...Monty Python
Another Divine Comedy

A different version of this note and thoughts on other books are available at:

- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list... and http://realini.blogspot.ro/

This may very well be the best comedy ever.
Albeit fundamentalists would hate this, if it ever pops up on their screens.

The BBC had in fact a talk show where they had invited John Cleese and Michael Palin on one hand.
On the other there were a high ranking official in the church,
Steven
Dec 25, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
Maybe the funniest movie ever... Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Kyle Soukup
Kyle Soukup rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Nathan J.
Nathan J. rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Evione
Evione rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Michael Lloyd-Billington
Michael Lloyd-Billington rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Super Amanda
Super Amanda rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Peter Emshwiller
Peter Emshwiller rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Patrick Neylan
Patrick Neylan rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2011
bränt barn
bränt barn rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Frances Albert
Frances Albert rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2013
Michaela
Michaela rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Noel Thingvall
Noel Thingvall rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Lawrie Mullins
Lawrie Mullins rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Brian Tremblay
Brian Tremblay rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Raja99
Raja99 rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Geoff
Geoff rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Battle of Brazil: Terry Gilliam V. Universal Pictures in the Fight to the Final Cut
  • The First 200 Years of Monty Python
  • Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years
  • Halfway To Hollywood: Diaries 1980 to 1988 (Palin Diaries, #2)
  • Three Bits Of Fry And Laurie
  • The Complete Fawlty Towers
  • Fargo
  • Tragically I Was an Only Twin: The Complete Peter Cook
  • The Making of Kubrick's 2001
  • Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Sometimes Zeppo: A Celebration of the Marx Brothers
  • The Goon Show Scripts
Graham Chapman was an English comedian, actor, writer, physician and one of the six members of the Monty Python comedy troupe. He was also the lead actor in their two narrative films, playing King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the title character in Monty Python's Life of Brian.
More about Graham Chapman...

“Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system, and public health ... what have the Romans ever done for us?

Brought peace!”