Start by marking “Relic (The Relic Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Relic (The Relic Trilogy #1)

Relic

(The Relic Trilogy #1)

As the personal servant of the powerful Lord Rennard, the Shadow’s life is all but forfeit. Rennard possesses one of five rare and dangerous Relics – a jewel that protects his bloodline, but slowly poisons everyone else in its proximity. When the current Shadow succumbs to its magic, nineteen-year-old blacksmith Kaylan is summoned to take his place.

It’s an appointment that
ebook
Published September 7th 2019 by Talem Press

To ask other readers questions about Relic, please sign up.
Bronwyn Eley Hi Ashley, it's not the main plot but there is romance in Relic yes! Always have to have a little bit of romance... :) …moreHi Ashley, it's not the main plot but there is romance in Relic yes! Always have to have a little bit of romance... :) (less)

Start your review of Relic (The Relic Trilogy #1)
alana ♡
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Power is a seductive thing."

I'm just going to put this out there...2019 is the year of some seriously awesome debuts! Relic was an enjoyable read from start to finish that left me eager for the next book in this trilogy, especially after how action packed and fast paced the ending was. Kaylan, lives in a ruthless world where children are forced to grow up too quickly and live in a constant fear of being chosen as the next Shadow, which is essentially the personal servant of the powerful Lor
Sahitya
It’s probably more of a 3.5 but I wasn’t impressed enough to give it a 4.

I am used to requesting advance copies from Netgalley, so when I got the email from the publisher themselves to review this debut YA fantasy novel, I was very excited. And I’m glad that despite taking me a while, this was a good read.

The first thing I look for in any new fantasy series is a well developed world. In this one, we are mostly relegated to the city of Edriast but we get to explore a lot of it. I could really pic
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Okay guys and gals, if this book doesn’t blow up, I’m going to lose my shit. If I don’t see this book plastered around Bookstagram, I’m going to lose my shit. If I don’t see this book get the recognition and love that it deserves, I’m going to lose my shit.

Honestly, I’ve been struggling with fantasy books recently, and I have no idea why; the only books I’ve been truly loving have all been contemporaries, which is totally unusual for me because I usually love fantasy.

So it’s safe to say that I h
Dianne
I’ve read this twice, it’s THAT good, that engrossing and that original!

RELIC by Bronwyn Eley is dark, edgy and completely unique to any fantasy I have read. Imagine a heroine who knows she is going to die, little by little, every day, her life forces sucked away to keep her master alive. Imagine being “chosen” for this position and not being able to deny it, being forced to become another in a long line of “shadows” who will die to feed a relic of immense power. How would you leave your mark on
Jin
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was already thrilled when I read the short description. Powerful stones, magic, cruel lords and a system of Shadows to ensure the magic bloodline. It was a great premise paired with wonderful storytelling. I can imagine that some people might say that the beginning was slow-paced but for me, it was exactly the right speed and tone for the world Kaylan is living in. I had enough time to delve and explore the world and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

The idea with Shadows was very interesting and I
Lana  (Bibliomedico)
Check Out My Full Review : https://bibliomedico.wordpress.com/20...
*******************************
Also , You can Read my interview with Author Bronwyn Eley : https://bibliomedico.wordpress.com/20...
*******************************
Thanks To Shealea From SHUT UP, SHEALEA , Caffeine Book Tours and Talem Press For Giving me the opportunity to Be part of this blog tour and read this amazing book .
*******************************
” Power Is A Seductive Thing ”
Let me tell you guys ! I’ve read Amazing
Helen Scheuerer
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Relic' had me hooked from the very first page. It's one of those books that keeps you turning the pages even though you should have gone to bed hours ago. Great character development and a careful build up to an epic twist you won't see coming. Can't wait for the next book! ...more
XR
Oct 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021
It's hard to believe that any good can come out of Kaylan's situation... how does anyone survive this world? It's dark, it's brutal and... her poor brothers. ...more
Ahana M Rao (Heart’s Content)
You can find this review on my blog, Heart’s Content

When I saw the blurb of Relic I was immediately intrigued. I knew I had to read this book. After reading a few reviews my lovely friends had written about Relic, I was sure that I was prepared for this book. I was wrong.

Relic for me was a gripping read, despit
Andrew
Feb 20, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read reviews on Amazon and thought the book looked intriguing. It was on Kindle Unlimited and I'm trying to do more with that service that I have paid for all these years and hardly use. Sometimes I'm just not impressed with what is available on KU.

This was no exception. The bad reviews were not so bad. It did not have any 1 star which I usually start with first to find out what people who hated it think of it and they are usually brutally honest.

The story is fantasy of some sort. I read somew
Thais • tata.lifepages •
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Once I picked up this book I was completely enthralled by the role of the shadow. Every few years, sometimes less, a shadow must be appointed to serve the powerful Lord Rennard. It is a role that none covet, for it is forsaken. To be the lord's shadow means to slowly suffer until death claims them, for the relic that the lord carries kills anyone who comes close.

Relic follows the story of Kaylan, a girl who works as a blacksmith with a very humble and simple family. In a random drawing she is se
Julie - One Book More
Mar 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, netgalley
Relic is a YA fantasy with an interesting premise and protagonist. A magical stone called the Relic is worn by Lord Rennard. Though it protects his bloodline, it slowly kills everyone around him. When Kaylan is chosen to become the Shadow of the Lord, she is taken from her family to serve the mysterious Lord Rennard, and her life is irrevocably changed. Kaylan knows being so close to Lord Rennard will result in her death, and nefarious rebellions, as well as the ire of her master, could prove ju ...more
Mizandri (BlissfullyLovedBooks)
When I was asked to review this book I immediately said yes. It’s been such a long time since I started a new book that got me this hooked in just a couple of pages. This was exactly the type of novel I needed. Why am I not seeing this book everywhere?

It was so easy to get immersed in this dark new world where “Shadows” are forced to serve their Lord knowing they will slowly die, losing themselves bit by bit mentally and physically. The world building is done so extremely well that it was so ea
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)

I'm immensely grateful to Talem Press for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Makes me so happy to be able to read a debut like this one, I loved it! I feel that the author gives us a new perspective on the dark fantasy genre and manages to give us wonderfully created characters and an intriguing magic system. I think it's a very unique story and I still can't believe that we are in presence of a debut author, since the book is beautifully created, there's a lo
Briana Hallin
Mar 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
This book was really good! Makes me sad how few people have read it!
Jenny (Bookbookowl)
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Edriast’s lord wears a deadly relic, passed down through his bloodline. As the relic leaches the life from everyone who spends time in close proximity to it, he employs a shadow, someone as a servant to attend to all his need, so others don’t have to. His latest shadow has succumbed to the relics power and Kaylan has been selected in the lottery to take his place.
Relic was a brilliant dark fantasy I couldn’t get enough of. I’m so glad it wasn’t a stand-alone, not because the story left too many
Rozanne Visagie
*Disclaimer: I was kindly gifted an electronic copy of this book by Talem Press and the author in exchange for an honest review.

➻ PUBLISHED: September 2019 ➻ GENRE: YA Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Fantasy ➻ Kindle Edition

If you are in the mood for a dark fantasy with a female lead and a plotline leaving you hungry for more, you must read Relic. Relic is the first book in The Relic Trilogy series written by Bronwyn Eley. The second book,Riven, is published in 2020 and the third book Rising is coming in
Ann
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
"𝐆𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦 𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧.”

So, I finished Relic, by Bronwyn Eley and I must share it with you guys because I need more people reading this awesome book! It had me gripped to my kindle since the very first page, and the writing and plot made me want to keep turning the pages even after hours of reading✨

Relic is about a girl name Kaylan who is selected to become the next Shadow or, in other wo
Julie E. (Bookshelf Adventures)
Amazing debut book and series. I was left on the edge of my seat, waiting anxiously to find out what happened next.

Full review on my blog here:

Booksish
Apr 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Aditi
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rating-4
Relic, by Bronwyn Eley, is the first book in the Relic Trilogy, a YA dark fantasy series by debut author Eley. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! It follows Kaylan, a teen girl living in Edriast, a cruel place where the Shadow to the ruling Lord Rennard, could be anyone over the age of ten.

Yes, you read that right.

The Shadows' lifespans were typically shorter because of the Relic, a jewel that Lord Rennard made them wear to protect the bloodline.

Kaylan is worried for her younger brothers, both o
İdil
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher for Caffeine Blog Tours.

“I wasn’t some quivering animal caught in a hunter’s sight. I was angry. The words came out in a low snarl, deep from my chest, as if I really was a wild beast.”

We are introduced to the world of Relic in the city of Edriast, where Lord Rennard, who has hold of the magical gemstone, rules with an iron fist. The narrative doesn’t stray from Edriast and we experience the city with its every aspect: from the imposing castle to
Breanna
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
THIS REVIEW & MORE → Paws and Paperbacks

ARC provided by the publisher.

Relic is the first book in a new fantasy trilogy that is sure to impress many readers, myself included. With a strong heroine, excellent worldbuilding, and a very interesting premise, this was one heck of an entertaining story!

The premise of Relic felt really unique and fascinating, which is what originally drew me to the story. The book follows our protagonist, Kaylan, who has been chosen to be the next shadow: a per
Jayati
Disclaimer: Advanced Reader’s Copy provided by publisher as part of Caffeine Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. I’d like to thank Shealea @ShutUpShealea and Talem Press for this opportunity! This does not in any affect my options on the book.

I really enjoyed reading his book and getting to know the city of Edriast.
the book at first gave me major Hunger Games vibes and soon, it developed into something bigger and much more complex than that.
The world building is great - it's slow and s
The Book Gawdess
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing

Relic is the first book in the Relic Trilogy. It begins the story of Kaylan. She was a blacksmith until she was chosen to become the Shadow of Lord Rennard. The Shadow is basically a villager chosen at random become the Lord's personal servant. The job sounds simple enough. However, the Lord wears a magical stone around his neck known as the Relic. This stone protects Rennard's bloodline at the expense of whoeve
Richelle Reed
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This dark fantasy debut from Bronwyn Eley is fascinating and unique among the new releases I've read in the last 2 years. Following Kaylan through the trial of being the Shadow to Lord Rennard and reading her thoughts as she comes to terms with what being Lord Rennard's Shadow will ultimately lead her death.

Kaylan does everything she has for her family and shows her strong character in the most difficult circumstances. Relic has excellent world building; you can almost feel yourself in the stree
Olivia Estelle
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The relentless twists and turns keep you guessing right to the very end. I couldn’t put it down! The writing is very clever, you get lulled into a false sense of security and then WHAM! Plot twist! Oh, and another one! What a brilliant debut.
Sarah Rutherford
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Look. Round it up to 2.5 if you're feeling generous. It's hard cause I feel like this book had some super promising elements... but all in all a let down for me w a wishy washy main character, no really likeable characters besides the dogs, and too much telling not enough showing in the writing. 👏 ...more
Aradhna
I AM SCREAMING.

review to come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Fabric of Chaos (Curse of the Cyren Queen, #3)
  • A Lair of Bones (Curse of the Cyren Queen, #1)
  • The Ninth Sorceress (The Price of Magic, #1)
  • With Dagger and Song (Curse of the Cyren Queen, #2)
  • Reign of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #2)
  • War of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #3)
  • A Wind From the Rift (The Price of Magic #2)
  • Heart of Mist (The Oremere Chronicles, #1)
  • The Seer's Secret (Legacy of the Time Stones, #1)
  • The Stars Beyond the Stone (The Price of Magic #3)
  • An Echo Through The Veil (The Price of Magic #4)
  • The Seer's Dragon (Legacy of the Time Stones, #2)
  • House of Eclipses (House of Eclipses, #1)
  • House of Wolves (House of Eclipses, 2)
  • The Captive Throne (Legends of Abreia, #4)
  • Forests of Grandeur and Malice (A Mage's Influence #4)
  • On These Black Sands (Aisling Sea, #1)
  • The Tome of the Magi (Fate of the Magi, #1)
See top shelves…
I've been writing my whole life but it was only in the last few years that it occurred to me that I could do this for a living!

I spend a lot of my time reading (obviously). Fantasy, particularly, is where I live and breath, but I'm up for anything!

I've spent some time in the military, studied Linguistics at university and travelled a lot. I am obsessed with all things medieval, music, my fitness

The Relic Trilogy (3 books)
  • Riven (The Relic Trilogy, #2)
  • Rising (The Relic Trilogy, #3)