Start by marking “The Unsteady Object of Hope” as Want to Read:
The Unsteady Object of Hope

The Unsteady Object of Hope

In an economically-challenged small town, several children are discovered murdered. The savage crimes have lasting effects on the lives of eight unique individuals: a scuba instructor, a disfigured cellist, an undercover federal agent, a model, a painter, a documentary filmmaker, an art teacher, and a ballerina. Connected through tragedy and circumstance, these individuals ...more
Published August 26th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Unsteady Object of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unsteady Object of Hope

Start your review of The Unsteady Object of Hope
Peter
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Forsaken
The Unsteady Object of Hope is a distinctively bleak and fascinating murder mystery with deep psychological character themes. Robert Raker does a wonderful job creating a dark imposing atmosphere where even the weather is dreary, with incessant rain and dark clouds. The mental state of each character exhibits a damaged and forsaken outlook that pervades all their marital relationships with many personal psychological issues and lies being revealed.

The story is based in a Northern
Danica
Dec 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I did not enjoy this book. You might, but I did not.

The Unsteady Object of Hope is a tale that follows several characters through a tumultuous season of child murders. Each character has a different perspective at relation to the cases. Unfortunately, the book was extremely hard to follow and I had a hard time relating to any of the characters.

I think books are for everyone and each person should not dismiss a book by its cover (or a review for that matter), so I would not say 'don't read it',
Cindy Lauren
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a tough time with this book: not sure if it lacked some structural elements because it was a galley or if it simply didn't have them. Keeping track of the characters and who was doing was was hard, and I am not sure if this was a narrative or if is was series of smaller vignettes strung together.
There is some lyrical writing, but maybe too much. Some deep insights but since I wasn't totally sure what was going on sometimes the passages seemed to come out of nowhere.

Maybe more plot and
Stevie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-s, 2019, arcs
I really love the concept of this book, but the execution was not for me. Maybe I'm used to a different kind of narrator from my crime novels, but this one felt extremely detached. It was very offputting. It could very well be told in the third-person since it felt like that anyway. The plot itself wasn't bad, but it also felt very underdeveloped. There was something missing, but I can't put my finger on what. With some editing (maybe even a co-writer), this book could be amazing.
Kayo
Nov 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Didn't understand where the book was going. Certainly didn't flow together, and was confusing.

Thanks to publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Claire Cummins
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Its very rare that I fail to complete a book I start. However I just couldnt finish this book.

The premise of the book was good and so was the plot but the writing style was overly wordy and I felt it spoilt the flownof the story.
Jacqueline Allan
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest

This book was such a disappointment for me. The third party writing made it not flow properly. The language used was so ambiguous. Did not enjoy at all.
Vonda
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I'm sorry, I really tried but I could find no rhyme or reason to this story.....it was extremely confusing.
Michele
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Sorry to say I cannot finish reading this book. The writing style is like nothing I have ever read and the story is just plain confusing and boring.
Jillian

• The Temple House Vanishing
  • The Falcons of Fire and Ice
  • The Wolf and the Watchman
  • The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight Book 1
  • 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1)
  • Slow Cooking Curry & Spice Dishes
  • The Hairy Dieters Eat For Life Book 2
Robert Raker graduated with a degree in Journalism from the University of Pittsburgh. He currently resides in Philadelphia where he enjoys art, music, literature and live theater.