Start by marking “Mr. Right Now” as Want to Read:
Mr. Right Now

Mr. Right Now

He’s Mr. Right Now, but for how long?

When Russ suffers a Thanksgiving disaster, his gorgeous neighbor Esteban is there to save the day. And after an innocent mix-up leads to the former Hollywood hottie playing the role of Russ’s date, Russ thinks scoring Esteban as his fake boyfriend is a huge win. The newly discharged marine is healing inside and out and could use some
Published November 14th 2019

Start your review of Mr. Right Now
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Russ is my new book boyfriend. He's mine, people, you hear?

I liked Esteban too, but Russ is considerate, kind, empathetic, and determined to make his fake boyfriend see that their pretend relationship is one hundred percent real.

Esteban thinks Russ is on the rebound, but really that's just a lie he tells himself because he's scared. He's been left, so he'd rather not try.

But it's impossible not to fall for Russ, who makes Esteban feel like a superhero.

Esteban rescues Russ on Thanksgivin
Martin
Absolutely stunning. Such a sweet little Christmas romance with PERFECTLY charming characters, a light foodie theme (okay, let's face it, the first 20% is two guys cooking) and one of the most heart-warming slow romances ever.

description

I am so in love.

This isn't a story that will throw amazing plot twists at you. It's rather living and breathing through the characters and their emotions.

Russ is a 30 year old veteran who gets used to civilian life after a knee injury required him to be discharged early. H
.Lili.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Right Now by Annabeth Albert is precisely why I love holiday romances. I love that warm, happy feeling they gave. They make me feel as if I'm sitting in front of the fireplace with my hot cup of cocoa on a winter day. I found this novella utterly endearing.

While I was excited when this story was first announced when I read it was a fake boyfriend storyline-

I'll admit I was disappointed. I still wanted to read it because Annabeth has written one of my favorite holiday romances. In the end,
Meags
3.5 Stars

This was my first Albert read in what felt like years (but is probably more like only one year), and what a lovely little Christmassy treat it was.

You don’t need to know much about this one, except that it is a holiday themed M/M romance about next door neighbours Esteban and Russ, who get themselves tangled in a fake-boyfriend relationship, which, inevitably, results in burgeoning friendship and blossoming romance.

Also, one is an actor-turned-event-planner and the other is an ex-mari
Cadiva
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when Annabeth writes a Christmas story, they're always filled with such warmth.

This is a delightful fake boyfriends series set in Oregon, home of her Portland Heat series, although it's not connected.

I loved both characters here, Russ who was still struggling after being forced out of the Marines post injury, and Esteban, bruised after being dumped by a guy who went back to his ex.

Their feelings and fears were perfectly pitched as both fought to stop falling in love.

I also adored bot
Renée
Very cute holiday story!
Len Evans Jr
This book is the author at her very best! It may just be one of the very best "Fake-BF" books I have read. So very very well done! Two amazing MCs, of course Russ being ex-military meant I was a goner for him from square one! But she got me with Esteban as well. Could not help loving this couple! What a joyous holiday read this was!
Adam
3.5 stars!

Sweet and chock-full of holiday feels!

Neighbours Russ and Esteban unwittingly go from practically strangers to boyfriends in a matter of hours. It’s not planned at all, but they go along with the mistaken identities to humour their families over the holiday season.

But with each fake date and time spent together at home (just as friends!), neither man can deny that their pretend romance is starting to feel very real.

The initial set-up had me grinning like a fool. Esteban was just lendin
Vanna
3.75 Stars!! 😍 Loved this sweet holiday romance with a fake-boyfriend trope🎄🎅🏼💕 despite the familiar plot. Russ is in a little bit of a predicament when the book starts; his boyfriend has just walked out of his life on the day that he is hosting his family and boss for a thanksgiving dinner. Add to that the fact that Russ can't cook and his ex had planned everything before he left, Russ is in a real quandary. Just when he thought that the dinner was unsalvageable, he is rescued by his next door ...more
Lisazj1
4.5 stars, and completely sweet and adorable! <3 Exactly what I needed to read right now. Annabeth Albert never lets me down. Thanks again to Santa's jilted lover for making my day brighter. xx

****

All I can say is Santa, you're really missing out because Santa's jilted lover is the best! Thank you for the wonderful gift, I'm so excited to read it. :)
♥Sharon♥
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know what? I enjoyed this one. It was a mindless and relaxing read. No angst. Sweet and sexy men. The story line worked for me and at the end I was a happy girl.

It starts out with Esteban saving the day at Thanksgiving.

Then when he and Russ decided to carry on with their "fake" relationship through Christmas things really heated up with these two!!

I loved their New Years Eve celebration which led to a sweet ending!

A recommended read!
Eugenia
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, ku, holiday
Sweet as candy!

Sweet
There’s not much more to say.
No drama.
No fuss.
No mess.
The typical “oh no” happens at 80% instead of the usual 72%, and lasted all of 5 minutes.
And then, sweet.
As pie.
As candy.

My rec? Be sure to brush your teeth after reading!
Caz
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B at AAR.

Mr. Right Now is a sweet, sexy novella featuring neighbours – a former marine and actor-turned-event planner – that takes place between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’m not the biggest fan of novellas as I often find them rushed and lacking in characterisation and relationship development, but fortunately, that isn’t the case here, and Annabeth Albert has penned a charming and convincing romance that will certainly warm anyone’s cockles!

Russ has been thrown in at the de
Ariana
Cute and spreading lovely feels all the way, this was a pleasant Christmas read.
I really liked shy, not long out Russ and commitment-hesitant Esteban.

These are two mature guys in the procedure of building a second career who get to know each other, become friends, and then more. Their story is heart warming, touching and totally relatable.
And the smexy scenes are really hot!

Fab little read!
Ed Davis
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Light and sweet and perfect for the holidays. This is one of those in between books when your looking for a quick read and don’t want a lot of angst.
Bibliophile
Nov 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute holiday story. Light on steam but heavy on heart. :)
Catherine
Everyone here should know by now that the fake boyfriend trope is a favourite of mine - and this story certainly didn't disappoint!

PS: Dani can keep Russ as her book boyfriend; I've rather have Esteban. ;)
Jessica Alcazar
*happy sigh* I love Annabeth!! This novella/short story was perfect! Sweet and endearing and sexy in all the right places! Such a great story with little to no angst! What more can you ask for?! LOL I think what I loved about the story itself is its believability or better put, the connection I felt to the relationship. I’m not a big fan of short stories that just BAM you with the HEA from one chapter to the other and this story did not do that at all. I connected and believed in Russ and Esteba ...more
Vallie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spicy-hot, mm, short, christmas
I was expecting a sweet Christmas story that I’d probably forget about in a few days. What I got was one of the smoothest, most organic transitions of friendship to love I’ve ever read. The characters didn’t overthink what was happening. Despite the fake boyfriend trope, they embraced their friendship as the foundation and essentially began dating without realising it. I absolutely loved it! So sweet and sexy.

Recommend.
Rosabel
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5 stars!

This was cute, I really liked the beginning and the development, the end not so much, but that's what happens sometimes with short stories like this one.

I had problems with the writing, dunno if its because English is a learned language to me, but I got lost a lot. And the Spanish sometimes was so wrong it hurted, still liked the latin representation.

Nonetheless it's a little cute Christmas read! 💜
Amy B.
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This is adorable. Adorable MCs, adorable misunderstanding leading to a fake boyfriend situation, adorable obliviousness about their relationship, adorable ending.

Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I’m a sucker for a good holiday romance and author Annabeth Albert wrapped one up in a lovely bow with Mr. Right Now. Filled with family, heart, holiday spirit, and love I found it impossible to put it down.

When Russ’s boyfriend leaves him right before he is set to host Thanksgiving for his sister’s family and his boss he is feeling helpless and panicked, but when his handsome neighbor Esteban offers his culinary skills to make the holiday happen, Russ agrees. When assumptions are made they find
Susan
Nov 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: low-angst, mm, christmas
This is not a bad story, but I was bored out of my mind with this one.

I can't say I actually liked anyone in this novella. I never connected with Russ and Esteban and I also didn't find them to have a lot of depth.

But I only ever rate really bad books 2 stars, and this wasn't that bad. So 3 stars it is.
Diane Dannenfeldt
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
These two were so cute together. A quick sweet holiday story!
Calila
*Received A Copy To Review From The Author*

I really enjoyed this. It's just a nice fluffy holiday read. You know what you'll get but you smile the whole way getting there. Russ and Esteban are adorable together and I loved that they became friends first. It's a bit of a slow burn by the way. They take their time getting to know each other and laying a foundation. I loved that. Their families were great, around just enough to keep it interesting but without being too involved. Exactly my preferen
Kelly
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arc provided courtesy of LesCourt
All reviews are voluntary and my honest opinion.

Russ is a sweet military guy who's just been dumped by his boyfriend, right before Thanksgiving. Esteban is a cute actor who lives in the same apartment complex. One burnt pan later the two men find themselves playing fake boyfriends so that Russ' family won't be disappointed.

A sweet holiday romance. Low drama and angst. A "breakup cat." Very much like Annabeth Albert's Portland novellas. A cozy winter fireplace ro
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Oh boy. I can't believe I forgot to write up this review as soon as I finished. So the long and short of it is that I remember I was left with lots of good feels and I remember thinking that I enjoyed this as much as I've enjoyed Ms. Albert's other series. Her writing style, her engaging characters, and her plot development are all spot-on. This story is no different.

In fact, it's even better because it has a nice take on the fake boyfriend trope and both MCs, Russ and Esteban are sweet. They b
Ami
This is an ENTERTAINING fake-boyfriend trope story!!!

I looooooved Russ, such a darling man. Esteban's lovely too, very charming, although he kind of making me rather annoyed with him near the end. At least Esteban learned about his faults quickly. But yeah, I enjoyed this one very much. A good holiday novella.

I just wished that when Russ and Estaban interacted, like doing a lot of talking and sharing, these scenes were written on page
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thanks for the gift, Santa's little hippopotamus!!
Lori
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, short friends to lovers story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Christmas Deal
  • A Boyfriend for Christmas
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Beautiful Temptation (So This Is Christmas #2)
  • Mr. Naughty List (Home for the Holidays, #2)
  • Defrosting Jack (Ice and Snow Christmas, #4)
  • Angels Sing (Daddy Dearest, #2)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • No Place Like Home
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Final Play (Fake Boyfriend)
  • Throwing Hearts
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Let It Sew
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
Frequent tweeter, professional grammar nerd, and obsessive reader, Annabeth Albert is also a Pacific Northwest romance writer in a variety of subgenres.

Emotionally complex, sexy, and funny stories are her favorites both to read and to write. In between searching out dark heroes to redeem, she works a rewarding day job and wrangles two toddlers.

Articles featuring this book

“Esteban thinking of him was nice. He hadn’t had a friend take care of him like this before, and it felt good, the psychic equivalent of fresh-baked cinnamon rolls.” 0 likes
“I don’t mean never. I mean maybe perfect doesn’t exist. There’s always distractions and complications and obstacles. If not the whole rebound thing, it would be something else. Some other excuse for me to cling to instead of taking a chance with you.” 0 likes